HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What if Rangers cant sign Jagr, Hossa

Old
06-27-2008, 07:49 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poozer View Post
If they can't sign either?

#1 Draft Pick sounds like a miserable but eventually good plan C.
They wouldn't get the #1 pick anyway. Dru, Gomez, Lund and the already existing support staff would be enough to make sure they won't be in the bottom 5.

It indeed WOULD be a miserable solution. We'd suck all year and in return, we'd get a 7-8th overall pick. The last pair of such picks were Montoya and Sundstrom, neither of whom worked out for us. In fact, 90% of the players drafted 6-10 become only marginal to average NHLers.

If we are gonna suck, let's REALLY suck. Trade Gomez and Drury (and first get the approval for it) for a first rounder each. Sign nobody and just plug the holes with Hartforders.

This would give us three first rounders, including likely a top-3 pick.

That, plus all our existing kids, would be a phenomenal start to a real rebuilding project where we'll tank for a couple of years, but by 2011-12, we'll be a top-notch young team.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 09:58 AM
NYR Viper

i would be fine with jagr walking away.....i really think it allows sather the opportunity to fix other problems....such as the defense while not haqving to spend all the way to the cap ceiling so he can save some cap room for years to come when a high-end winger becomes available

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 10:06 AM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
They used to in the past...I guess you forget that or just wasn't a hockey fan back then.

"In the previous agreement, compensatory draft picks were awarded, with the position of a pick based on the size of the player's new contract."
unless my memory has failed me, these where second round picks, and earlier in the thread you said that seconds arn't enough. I don't believe firsts have ever been awarded as compensation.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
They wouldn't get the #1 pick anyway. Dru, Gomez, Lund and the already existing support staff would be enough to make sure they won't be in the bottom 5.

It indeed WOULD be a miserable solution. We'd suck all year and in return, we'd get a 7-8th overall pick. The last pair of such picks were Montoya and Sundstrom, neither of whom worked out for us. In fact, 90% of the players drafted 6-10 become only marginal to average NHLers.

If we are gonna suck, let's REALLY suck. Trade Gomez and Drury (and first get the approval for it) for a first rounder each. Sign nobody and just plug the holes with Hartforders.

This would give us three first rounders, including likely a top-3 pick.

That, plus all our existing kids, would be a phenomenal start to a real rebuilding project where we'll tank for a couple of years, but by 2011-12, we'll be a top-notch young team.
I don't think thats the mentality we should have.

Trading Drury and Gomez isn't a great idea. If we need to move salary around or become so backed up with players, I think dealing Drury (who I think is a phenomenal guy to have on your team) becomes a possibility, but still highly unlikely until the cap goes up so much that his 7 mil contract isn't as much of a headache for many teams.

We don't have to deal away all of our players in order to take some steps for the future. After this draft, at least in my opinion, we've seriously upgraded our prospect pool. Grachev, Del Zotto and Weise are all going to be very solid players and fill very large holes on this team, as will Gaulton if he heals well from his injury.

Offensive Prospects:
Dubinsky, Cherepanov, Anisimov, Korpikoski, Dawes, Grachev, Weise, Byers, Dupont, Stempan, Zaborsky, etc.

Defensive Prospects:
Sanguinetti, Del Zotto, Sauer, Potter, Gaulton, Kundratek, etc.

Thats a lot of talent to have in an organization. Part of making the most out of these players is to ensure you have the pieces already in place in the NHL to compliment them and let them learn the professional game. Gomez and Drury are about as good as you're going to do in that department.

I think if you make one move for a solid winger via trade like Vermette (say Tyutin + Prospect + low pick), and sign one of Orpik/Commodore and one of Campbell/Redden, and you'll not only have great pieces in the NHL to stay competitive, but you also have guys who are the best at their respective positions. Sangs and DZ learning from Campbell; Kundratek, Gaulton, Potter and Sauer all learning from Orpik; and Vermette complimenting Gomez on the first line. Thats a very, very solid foundation.

So, next year you could be looking at:

Prucha - Gomez - Vermette
Anisimov - Drury - Dawes
Korpikoski - Dubi - Callahan
Sjostrom - Betts - Byers/Orr

Staal - Campbell
Mara - Girardi
Backman - Orpik
Potter

Hank / Vally

Not the greatest lineup, but it's a great starting point for next year.

09-10

Gaborik - Gomez - Vermette
Anisimov - Drury - Cherepanov/Dawes
Korpikoski - Dubi - Callahan
Sjostrom - Betts - Byers/Orr

Staal - Campbell
Orpik - Sanguinetti
Girardi - Mara
Potter

Hank/Vally

So thats one step back, followed by one HUGE leap forward. Also, now you're in a position where you're solidifying a young lineup, so the extra pieces become unnecessary and can be moved for more picks or other players.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:46 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
maybe they will claim todd bertuzzi off waivers

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:10 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
maybe they will claim todd bertuzzi off waivers
I'd say he's a great fit if he wasn't so injury prone.

..not to mention a total scum-bag as well.

Old
06-27-2008, 01:02 PM
RANGERS2448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Yea, Jagr, Gomez, Drury and Avery are all homegrown Rangers talent. Compare that to NJ with Brodeur, Elias, Gionta, Parise, Zajac, Madden, Pandolfo, Clarkson, Brylin, Rupp, White, Martin,Greene and Oduya (to an extent). Good points.

With the max contract up to 11 million your saying Zubrus at 3.4 million the next 5 years is a bad contract? The will probably average 45-50 points the next 5 seasons playing solid defense. Do you think a #3 defensmen like Colin White at 3 million is a poor investment? Mogs and Malakhov were poor decisions make after the lockout, nobody could predict what players were hurt most by the time off.
those 4 arent but cally, dawes, dubi, lundy, tyutin, grardi, staal, hoolweg, prucha are all home grown draft picks

RANGERS2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 01:17 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA#11 View Post
The best part is just like Jason, Lou and his thinking are getting left behind with their outdated thinking.

It's a joke to think that after owning a guys rights for so many yrs that you should get any sort of compensation, let alone a 1st rounder!

But the Devils are in probrably the worst shape UFA wise in the entire NHL, maybe the Islanders are the only team worse off because they not only can't keep any of their quality free agents but they have no shot at drawing any of the top UFA's as it simply is the 2nd least dersired place to play for NHL players shown by the THN pool of 300 NHLer's, no small sample size by any stretch.

And when you combine not being able to lure any topend guys and instead to do the blue-light special, bargain-bin shopping that Lou is forced to do and on top of that you have one of the 3 worst prospect pools in the entire NHL that is a lethal combo that will have the legendary Lou in a really tough spot, granted from his own doing, for a long time to come.

I love all these Devil fans with guys like Redden, Campbell, Hossa etc... in their avatars as if the Devils had a shot at any!

And when he misses on those guys and starts shopping amoung the Satans and Stumpels of the world it will really go to show just how off Lou and his "we don't rebuild in NJ" stance is and how he will just prolong the need to start a semi-rebuild at the very least.

But Marty will never allow for it in his chasing of stats which has him dictating that he play 77-78 games a yr despite sh%^&ing the bed come playoff time where everybody then makes the "well he's tired" excuse.

And for you Jason to try and take shots at the current Rangers is just laughable as we unlike before are doing it 100% correctly by building a base, a top 7-8 prospect pool AND just as importantly we have the ability to compliment our young kids by making signing of top end UFA's to fill specific holes or needs just like Gomez and Drury last yr.

We had tons of homegrown products throughout the lineup but guys like Jason can't take off the Lou Lams Koolaid glasses.

I know that alot of Devil fans wanted Sundin bigtime being that they don't have anything down the middle at all which forced a LW to move to the middle and it's comical to think about guys actually thinking he'd entertain signing in NJ.

And it kills them even more that the NYR's was the first team he wanted to speak to about signing on with, regardless if we get him or not because obviously we are his first choice if all else equals out.

I look forward to the next 7-10 days watching the classic posters like Muttley continue to try and rip us down as well as our prospects all while he'll be tsanding their left with 3rd and 4th tier guys once again!
Ha, ha, I'd want to be a Ranger too, if the Rags handed me a rediculous contract like Holik $9 million per @ 5 years, Gomez, $7.3 million @ 6 years and Drury $7 million @ 5 years. I can see why all the love for MSG.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 01:52 PM
DutchShamrock

Anyone know where the Jagr/Hossa thread is? I keep clicking this one link but all I find is this stuff about the Devils and compensitory picks.

It would sure be great to be able to discuss the Ranger's actions should they fail to re-sign Jagr or land Hossa on July 1. Oh well.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 02:38 PM
PromNite
This is awkward...

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
This thread delivers. I love Ranger-Devil slapfights.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 02:52 PM
NYR Viper

the more i think about it the more i like the idea of trading tyutin for a second tier young winger like vermette and bernier.....i really think orpik or stuart could fill his spot for years to come as they arent old and it would finally give gomez a solid goal scoring winger....

malone-gomez-vermette
dawes-drury-korpikoski
callahan-dubinsky-sjostrom
byers-betts-moore/orr

staal-redden
orpik-stuart
potter-girardi
struds

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
the more i think about it the more i like the idea of trading tyutin for a second tier young winger like vermette and bernier.....i really think orpik or stuart could fill his spot for years to come as they arent old and it would finally give gomez a solid goal scoring winger....

malone-gomez-vermette
dawes-drury-korpikoski
callahan-dubinsky-sjostrom
byers-betts-moore/orr

staal-redden
orpik-stuart
potter-girardi
struds
Kinda like that one viper. I'd put Potter with Orpik and Girardi with Stuart though. Seems like that last pairing is asking for trouble.

If you give Malone 4.5, Orpik 4, Stuart 3.5, Redden 6 and Vermette 3.1, you would actually have about 4 mil left over. I'd keep Moore down and try to acquire some sort of playmaker-type for Drury while bumping Korpedo down to the 3rd line.

Old
06-30-2008, 09:56 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
Ha, ha, I'd want to be a Ranger too, if the Rags handed me a rediculous contract like Holik $9 million per @ 5 years, Gomez, $7.3 million @ 6 years and Drury $7 million @ 5 years. I can see why all the love for MSG.

laugh all you want but when you are sitting there with the kmart specials once again come tomorrow we'll see who is laughing..

And while those guys didn't give the Rangers any sort of discount to sign here they all had plenty of teams to chose from and guess what, they chose NY, something that you'll never see in NJ whether Lou would be willing to pay or not.

He'd have to significantly overpay to get a top end guy in the fold.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 04:03 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmarberrys View Post
Why dont we wait till next year and get ourselves some Eric Staal or Rick Nash!!!!
Because if their respective teams sign these two 2 long term deals prior to them becoming UFAs then that leaves the Rangers peeing in the wind next season.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Ola

We wouldn't be in terrible shape thats for sure; but we would have much less potential.

Like this season we had potential to be allot better then we were -- and we weren't that bad in the end. But we just couldn't nail down that final pice that it would have taken to atleast play even against Pittsburgh that clearly was the best in the east.

Without Jagr we could defenitly get about the same results we got last season; but we would be much further away from taking that last step. And if we struggles -- which would be less likely with more role players on the team -- we could fast fall far behind in the PO race.

Another factor is that it would be much easier for Slats to make trades without JJ (and co).

-First of all we would have the cap room.

-And we would boost the value of the kids who gets to play or gets to play more. Thats how it is, it doesn't really matter how solid a kid like Korpikoski/Anisimov/Jessiman is in the AHL; without the rep of beeing a high pick they got little value untill they get into the NHL. Once there you can get allot more for them. Pittsburgh's package for Marian Hossa is a good example.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote