HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I saw Sam Rosen Today

Old
06-27-2008, 06:36 AM
zestystrat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Well Shanny and Avery were real good friends..and Shanny had an influence on getting Avery traded to the rangers...maybe now that Shanny retires..Avery does not have the Shanny influence to keep him...

Thats how I interpret it..if that even made sense
Only read this far so I don't know if it's been said but from what i have read Shanny also "kept him in line" so to speak so we didn't see LA Avery.

I think thats part of "the Shanny influence" as well. With out Shanny around maybe the thought is that he will be much more disruptive to the team.

I bet SA goes to island just to spite Slats.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 08:47 AM
RANGERS2448

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
I saw Sam at a Bagel store in Rockland County. I was asking him questions on the Rangers. He said the following.

-Rozsival is definetly coming back
-Avery is defintetly gone
-Shanny is retiring
-Jagr is 95% coming back
-The Rangers are not looking at Mats Sundin
-The Rangers are looking to sign Malone, and Orpik
-the Rangers are also looking to sign Campbell, he said right now they have a deal planned out, Campbell just wants a few more dollars.
what bagel shop

RANGERS2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 08:53 AM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERS2448 View Post
what bagel shop
I'm pretty sure he lives in New City - I'm sure that narrows it down

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 08:58 AM
RegalRangers

I also agree that Malone would be a great signing.

Do you guys realize that if we sign Malone or Orpik we'll be making a habit of signing guys in the off season from the team that eliminated us in the playoffs?

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 09:05 AM
Fletch

inferno..

if Orpik, Malone and Campbell are actually signed, and the Rangers can afford Jagr, then yeah, it makes a heck of a lot of sense to sign Jagr. Otherwise, the team's right winger with the most NHL experience and goals and points would be Prucha, in who I don't think Renney has placed a lot of confidence. Heck, what would a line that consisted of Malone-Dubi-Jagr look like? If Jagr supposedly needs a left winger with size (I've all along disputed that, but lots of people talk about that), then I'd argue that Malone is a heck of a lot better than Hossa and may fit nicely there. Heck, one could try Gomez with Jagr once again and spread around the size of the team a bit.

Who knows what will happen and ultimately what the Rangers could afford. I do believe all three UFAs make the team better than they are today. But of course you need to think about tomorrow and sign guys to reasonable contracts (of course each team will have its fair share of unreasonable contracts). The Rangers do need a left winger, and one with size, and one who can score more than 15-20 goals. The Rangers need a point guy/offensive defenseman. And the Rangers need a gritty defensive defenseman. All three are better than any Ranger currently signed who fit into those three categories.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 09:11 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

-Rozsival is definetly coming back - Fine with me as long as he's not overpaid
-Avery is defintetly gone - Goodbye, Sayonara, Adios, Arrivederci, Au Revoir, Shalom, etc. I'll be glad to see him gone. Too much of a side show and distraction. I can only imagine how he'd be without Shanahan here to keep him in check.
-Shanny is retiring - Happy Trails, good knowing you, time to go.
-Jagr is 95% coming back - Fine with me, one or two years I won't mind. Would be nice to see Jagr & Cherepanov next year (if he comes).
-The Rangers are not looking at Mats Sundin - Good, I don't want him. Would be a huge mistake.
-The Rangers are looking to sign Malone, and Orpik - I'll take both, I want Orpik more.
-Campbell - Please no. There will be no spots at all for defensemen. Plus who knows how Sanguinetti will turn out. He could adjust really quick and be NHL ready in half a season, then what? Root for injuries?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Fletch

PruBlue...

for whom do you want a defensive spot open? Potter seems to have been HFD's best defenseman - is he even NHL material? Let's try to forget about Sanguinetti for a year or two and let the 20 year old develop defensively. Plus, Backman's part of the defensive corps and he only has one year left on his contract - so a spot opens up next season for somebody.

Old
06-27-2008, 09:18 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
-Avery is defintetly gone - Goodbye, Sayonara, Adios, Arrivederci, Au Revoir, Shalom, etc. I'll be glad to see him gone. Too much of a side show and distraction. I can only imagine how he'd be without Shanahan here to keep him in check.
If he's too much of a "side show and distraction", how exactly did Shanahan keep him in check?

For that matter, how exactly was Avery a "side show and distraction?"

06-27-2008, 09:24 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
for whom do you want a defensive spot open? Potter seems to have been HFD's best defenseman - is he even NHL material? Let's try to forget about Sanguinetti for a year or two and let the 20 year old develop defensively. Plus, Backman's part of the defensive corps and he only has one year left on his contract - so a spot opens up next season for somebody.
If you sign Orpik, Rozsival, and Campbell. You have 6 defensemen all with contracts of two years or more (you're not signing any of those guys for less than 2 years.)

Therefore, you get stuck in a spot where unless you make a trade you have no room for bringing up players from Hartford fulltime.

I'd rather sign Paul Mara to a one year contract, then use Backman as your #7. Sign Orpik and Rozsival and you're set for the year. That's my opinion anyway. It's either Rozy or Campbell not both.

Old
06-27-2008, 09:25 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
-Rozsival is definetly coming back - Fine with me as long as he's not overpaid
-Shanny is retiring - Happy Trails, good knowing you, time to go.
-Jagr is 95% coming back - Fine with me, one or two years I won't mind. Would be nice to see Jagr & Cherepanov next year (if he comes).
-The Rangers are not looking at Mats Sundin - Good, I don't want him. Would be a huge mistake.
-The Rangers are looking to sign Malone, and Orpik - I'll take both, I want Orpik more.
-Campbell - Please no. There will be no spots at all for defensemen. Plus who knows how Sanguinetti will turn out. He could adjust really quick and be NHL ready in half a season, then what? Root for injuries?
since u want avery gone how about Cooke or Ruutu. i dont want ruutu but cooke would help on the PK and has alot of speed. id take malone orpik salvador, commodore ect

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 09:30 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
If he's too much of a "side show and distraction", how exactly did Shanahan keep him in check?

For that matter, how exactly was Avery a "side show and distraction?"
Every little move he makes is plastered all over. The garbage with Blake, all the stupid comments he makes in the media about everybody. The stupid things he does such as the Brodeur incident (while it was funny it was quite bush league). He's so full of himself that it makes me sick. If I'm trying to build a team that's the last kind of player I want on my team. I also don't like having a player who is as hated as him on my team. It opens up players to cheap shots as well as having him on the team automatically makes a target shine on the NYR for the referees. The Rangers will never get the benefit of the doubt with Sean Avery on the team. He's not a side show, then why the heck am I seeing like 10 articles a week about his internship at Vogue. Who gives a crap? Yet that's all I read about. Sean Avery is all about Sean Avery and no one else.

I can't wait to see him playing with a nice big bloated contract so that his ego swells even more than it does. I want to see how well he does when he act finally wears off.

Old
06-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Fletch

Sorry Pru...

I had only talked about signing the three (plus Jagr) - I don't know if you can sign those four plus Rozsival under the CBA, so I ignored that. Under the scenario that somehow they can afford all, then yeah, it's a little more difficult. Contracts should be staggered and I think you would typically see at least one opening each season. Although, to be honest with you, a defensive corps of Rozsival, Staal, Girardi, Tyutin, Campbell and Oprik seems like a group of six you wouldn't mind having for a couple years. If a guy like Sanguinetti is truly ready at some point (and obviously cheaper), any of those guys would likely be moveable, especially if the cap inches up a bit from where it is. None of those guys will be old in 2-4 years. If you're going to lock yourself into a group of six, make them all 30 or under, which is the case here.

Old
06-27-2008, 09:34 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Every little move he makes is plastered all over. The garbage with Blake, all the stupid comments he makes in the media about everybody. The stupid things he does such as the Brodeur incident (while it was funny it was quite bush league). He's so full of himself that it makes me sick. If I'm trying to build a team that's the last kind of player I want on my team. I also don't like having a player who is as hated as him on my team. It opens up players to cheap shots as well as having him on the team automatically makes a target shine on the NYR for the referees. The Rangers will never get the benefit of the doubt with Sean Avery on the team. He's not a side show, then why the heck am I reading like 10 articles a week about his internship at Vogue. Who gives a crap? Yet that's all I read. Sean Avery is all about Sean Avery and no one else.

I can't wait to see him playing with a nice big bloated contract so that his ego swells even more than it does. I want to see how well he does when he act finally wears off.
1) I don't see that as his fault.

2) I dont't see how the team was distracted. I know that stats don't tell the full story but the record with and without is so different there has to be at a little something to it.

3) How is he full of himself?

4) Tom Renney has said the he wants to build a team that has skill and toughness and is hard to play against. To me that's everything Sean Avery is.

5) I don't care that he's at Vogue. I don't care that there are articles about it. I solve that problem by not ready them.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Fletch

I don't see other teams...

cheap-shotting the Rangers because of Avery's behavior since Avery doesn't go out there and do BS stuff to stars. If anything, Avery would be the one who's cheap-shotted.

Also, on the ice, Avery seems anything but the person you describe (although admittedly, I'm not totally in disagreement regarding your assessment of Avery's personality - that seems to be him and I too have my concerns).

But, it's very difficult for us here to say this stuff is truly a distraction to players in the lockerroom and that Shanny really kept him in check. I don't doubt that's what happened, but I personally cannot verify. If Avery isn't signed, to me it's a sign that he was a distraction and wasn't well-liked. His skills were undeniable. He turned things around in the last 1/4 of the season after stinking it up for a bit and being hurt often. That likely didn't go unnoticed. For me, if he's signed, I won't be too upset because it meant that either the lockerroom roomers aren't true at all, or at least weren't that disruptive. If not, I'd guess they were and Sather preferred to bring in other character guys.

Old
06-27-2008, 09:40 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Yet another thread hijacked by Avery. See this is the REAL problem with Avery!

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Blueshirt Brawler

Quote:
I saw Sam at a Bagel store in Rockland County. I was asking him questions on the Rangers. He said the following.

-Rozsival is definetly coming back
-Avery is defintetly gone
-Shanny is retiring
-Jagr is 95% coming back
-The Rangers are not looking at Mats Sundin
-The Rangers are looking to sign Malone, and Orpik
-the Rangers are also looking to sign Campbell, he said right now they have a deal planned out, Campbell just wants a few more dollars.
I believe you bro. These hockey announcers love to talk about the sports that they cover when you run into them. I think Rozsival's injury and poor play last year brings his price tag down and I think he'll come back on a one or two year deal. I figured Avery is definitely gone and Shanny is retiring. But I don't think Jagr is coming back. I think it's 50/50 now that the Russian deal has supposedly been extended to 3 yrs. I also believe that the Rangers have an interest in Malone, Orpik and Campbell but I don't think there's anyway that they will sign ALL three. And I think the Mats Sundin reports are just out there to camoflague the Avery and Jagr contract situations. The Rangers are leaking rumors connecting them to other high profile UFAs to take the pressure off of them not signing Avery and Jagr because it will be a PR nightmare once those guys are gone.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 10:05 AM
NYR Viper

i really think that if the rangers sign campbell and orpik then they turn around and trade tyutin or girardi for a goal scoring winger to play with gomez and let backman or potter play this year

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

I don't know about you but any guy who plays around 2 hours of an NHL hockey game with a lacerated spleen, has no problem defending his teammates, and does whatever it takes for the Rangers to succeed, is good enough to play on my team.

You better believe the majority of Rangers liked Sean Avery, he is a player's player.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Vitto79

Sooooooo if Jagr goes then Rosen is WRONG............if that was him,haha

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:08 AM
RANGERS2448

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post
I'm pretty sure he lives in New City - I'm sure that narrows it down
never knew he lived over here

RANGERS2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Mason530

Quote:
He told me that Shanny kept him in line, that he will be a problem if Shanny isnt on the team anymore.
Correct, that's what I hear.......Shanny even said when Avery first came to the major with Wings, Avergy was so annoying that Bowman put his locker in the hallway, outside the lockerroom. That tells you something about Avery. Without someone keeping him in check, he would wear out his welcome in a minute.

Mason530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
cheap-shotting the Rangers because of Avery's behavior since Avery doesn't go out there and do BS stuff to stars. If anything, Avery would be the one who's cheap-shotted.

Also, on the ice, Avery seems anything but the person you describe (although admittedly, I'm not totally in disagreement regarding your assessment of Avery's personality - that seems to be him and I too have my concerns).

But, it's very difficult for us here to say this stuff is truly a distraction to players in the lockerroom and that Shanny really kept him in check. I don't doubt that's what happened, but I personally cannot verify. If Avery isn't signed, to me it's a sign that he was a distraction and wasn't well-liked. His skills were undeniable. He turned things around in the last 1/4 of the season after stinking it up for a bit and being hurt often. That likely didn't go unnoticed. For me, if he's signed, I won't be too upset because it meant that either the lockerroom roomers aren't true at all, or at least weren't that disruptive. If not, I'd guess they were and Sather preferred to bring in other character guys.
Just to add to what you say on the Avery front:

This team has been obsessed with personality over the last few years, perhaps to a fault. Every player needs to be "on message" it seems, part of the system. Being popular in the lockerroom seems to be an extremely important criterion for management when they think of signing a player (see Strudwick, also seemed to be a big factor in signing Shanny last year).

If (and I stress that I have no idea) Avery was a divisive force in the lockerroom, that would be a big factor in the Rangers not wanting to sign him. As much as I hate a guy like Tucker, he's popular with his teammates, which has allowed him to stay in Toronto well past his due date.

There's that matter and the matter of $2 million...

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:48 AM
cityhockeyfever

Pretty interesting that Sam Rosen would open up that kind of information to a stranger at bagel shop, but I'll believe it to a point. That would be the team targetting certain players, but not the likelihood of landing them.

-Rozsival is definitely coming back - only at the right price because I was disappointed with his lack of consistency this past season
-Avery is definitely gone - it's a shame because despite his antics, he had a real impact on this team when it came down to wins and losses, but in both second round series, it has been limited
-Shanny is retiring - I appreciate what he did here without question, but it's time for him to retire
-Jagr is 95% coming back - with the Omsk offer, there's no way the Rangers should match that, so that percentage is lower, one year plus an optional second is what the Rangers should offer

(continued...)

cityhockeyfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:49 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Interesting stuff.

For those of you asking why Sam would say these things... he's a journalist. Journalists have one mission, and that's to report the facts. If he can enlighten 1 person, he's going to do that. It's in journalists blood to do so.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:54 AM
cityhockeyfever

-The Rangers are not looking at Mats Sundin - good, he's too old and he may even retire himself
-The Rangers are looking to sign Malone, and Orpik - I'd be surprised at the Rangers having a chance at both, kudos to them if that's pulled off
-the Rangers are also looking to sign Campbell, he said right now they have a deal planned out, Campbell just wants a few more dollars. - unless his price comes down, I cannot see the Rangers signing him

I'll never understand why the Rangers were targetting Sundin in the first place. Yeah, maybe if Jagr walks, they need a scoring forward. But Sundin is too old and goes against this long term building process. Great to know he wants to come here, but it's years too late. If it were 5 to 10 years ago, it's a whole different story. Malone and Orpik are good additions, but I want the Rangers to address the blueline first. Campbell would surely help the Rangers' PP problems, but the cost? Too much.

cityhockeyfever is offline   Reply With Quote