HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Per Brooks Jagr gets $35mil offer from Omsk

Old
06-27-2008, 08:08 AM
zestystrat

vCash: 500
Per Brooks Jagr gets $35mil offer from Omsk

Didn't see it posted so close this thread if it was:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06272008...fer_117409.htm

it's Brooks so note the sources:

"A reliable third party source yesterday told The Post that his connections in the Czech Republic believe that Jagr has recently received a three-year contract offer for the equivalent of $35M after-tax US dollars from Omsk of the Russian Super League. The captain is believed to have received the formal offer this week from Omsk GM Anatoly Bardin after months of conversations."

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 08:09 AM
NYR1724

What also really, really scares me is that this article notes that Mats Sundin is the Rangers no.1 free agent target. I don't see how he fits and I hope it doesn't spell the end of Chris Drury. While his contract makes him almost untradeable, I wonder if he would be successful on the wing. I would much rather see the team grab some wingers rather than sign an aging Sundin. Let him go to Detroit or Montreal. Re-sign Jags and grab a winger for Scottie. I still think Jags comes back if he chooses to do so. It is really up to him if he thinks the Rangers can win the cup. To a degree, as much as I enjoy Jagr's personality and as a player, I wonder if the Rangers are better off turning the page. I don't know if pandering to Jagr's needs by signing Sundin or Robert Lang or someone of that nature is the right move for this club.

NYR1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 08:12 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Either it's going to be rejected or it's a fib as Jagr has stated he will only play away from home for a maximum of 2 more years.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 08:54 AM
levski87

Please leave Jagr. Take the offer. Its time to move on... everyone who complained during the regular season about our PP and our useless cycling still doesn't understand that it all ran like that BECAUSE of Jagr. You bring him back one more year, nothing will change. It will still be HIS team. Personally, I'm not to fond of Chris Drury. Overpaid 3rd line center. If it was possible to trade him for someone, please do it. Back to Jagr though, if we want to progress as a team, we let Jagr go. Simple as that.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I call more Uncle Larry BS. This is the time of year when he goes full Eklund

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 09:28 AM
daigle

According to my calculations, $ 35 million tax free in russia, is equivalent to around $ 61 in the NHL (35*1,75)?

Does anyone no the proportions between NHL salaries and russian tax free US $?

daigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 09:29 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2K5 View Post
What also really, really scares me is that this article notes that Mats Sundin is the Rangers no.1 free agent target. I don't see how he fits and I hope it doesn't spell the end of Chris Drury. While his contract makes him almost untradeable, I wonder if he would be successful on the wing. I would much rather see the team grab some wingers rather than sign an aging Sundin. Let him go to Detroit or Montreal. Re-sign Jags and grab a winger for Scottie. I still think Jags comes back if he chooses to do so. It is really up to him if he thinks the Rangers can win the cup. To a degree, as much as I enjoy Jagr's personality and as a player, I wonder if the Rangers are better off turning the page. I don't know if pandering to Jagr's needs by signing Sundin or Robert Lang or someone of that nature is the right move for this club.

Well IF Jagr does'nt come back they could sign Sundin and Huselius and move Drury to their right side....................

Just a thought.........then of course have Gomez , Dubinsky ,Betts in the other spots

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Kostik

This is reported in Czech press as well.
Omsk offered 3 years/35m$ total AFTER taxes.
Jagr has scheduled press konference for Friday afternoon(Central Europe Time).
What are the taxes in New York?25-30%?
Equivalent salary in NHL would have to be about 15m$/year
Almoust a double what Jagr could get in NHL...
Insane amount of money.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 09:37 AM
RANGERS2448

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Please leave Jagr. Take the offer. Its time to move on... everyone who complained during the regular season about our PP and our useless cycling still doesn't understand that it all ran like that BECAUSE of Jagr. You bring him back one more year, nothing will change. It will still be HIS team. Personally, I'm not to fond of Chris Drury. Overpaid 3rd line center. If it was possible to trade him for someone, please do it. Back to Jagr though, if we want to progress as a team, we let Jagr go. Simple as that.
ive actually had heated arguments with friends about this i completely agree with u but i have a feelin he will be back for 2yrs

RANGERS2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 09:37 AM
Jarmac

Isn't Friday afternoon Central Europe Time like uh...now?

Jarmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Kostik

Press conference with Jagr is scheduled for 4:30 pm in Prostejov(Czech) - 10:30am US CET time.
If something will pop up, i will keep you informed

Old
06-27-2008, 09:41 AM
daigle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
This is reported in Czech press as well.
Omsk offered 3 years/35m$ total AFTER taxes.
Jagr has scheduled press konference for Friday afternoon(Central Europe Time).
What are the taxes in New York?25-30%?
Equivalent salary in NHL would have to be about 15m$/year
Almoust a double what Jagr could get in NHL...
Insane amount of money.
press conference? this doesnt sounds good

daigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 09:45 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Agree, stay away from Sundin and well be alright.

I really dont think the Rangers are that interested in him. Remember - Sundins camp contacted the Rangers, not the other way around.

Do not agree about Drury though. He'll always have a spot on my team.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 09:46 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
Press conference with Jagr is scheduled for 4:30 pm in Prostejov(Czech) - 10:30am US CET time.
If something will pop up, i will keep you informed
Awesome.

This is GOOD for the Rangers. Trust me.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 09:50 AM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by daigle View Post
press conference? this doesnt sounds good
I guess Marty and Jags have had a chance to talk and get on the same page about staying in the NHL.

Old
06-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Awesome.

This is GOOD for the Rangers. Trust me.
I still think Jagr for 1-2 years and right amount of money is one of the best solution for Rangers. I can see why someone thinks otherwise, but i would be afraid that Rangers would tank next season without Straka, Jagr and Avery(with no proper replacement). If you lose half of your top6 wingers it's no good...

I can see Sather going hard after Mats if Jagr will go to Omsk. Sundin can play wing.

Old
06-27-2008, 09:58 AM
Vitto79

WOW

if all this press conference mumbo Jumbo is correct then it's see ya to Jagr and Straka

BUT if it happens atleast they know now.............

I am ok with making this Team Henrik and with that signing Sundin and Huselius makes sense.......shift Drury to the right side of that line

Then sign Malone to go with Dawes , Gomez

Dubinsky, Prucha, Callahan
Sjostrom , Jamtin, Betts, Orr, Moore

Done and Done

They have 22 million under the cap so if they sign those guys it's roughly
5,3.5,3......about 11 million

Still enough for a big D man like Redden or Campbell and a hitter that comes cheap like Montador

A man can dream

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 10:01 AM
TheHotRock

I would only be interested in Sundin if Jagr does come back. Those two give us a legit top line. If Jagr signs that deal with Omsk, forget about Sundin. Take that money and go get a big winger for drury and some guys who can finish for gomez.....or throw some big bucks at campbell.

I want Jagr back for two more years and I'd love for Sundin to be his center for those two years. If Jagr does not come back, build this team around Hank, Gomer and Drury.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Take it and run, Jagr. Take it and run. Love the guy, but it's time for this team to move on.

Besides, if we make the moves to shore up our defense with like likes of Orpik/Commodore and Campbell/Redden, I don't think we'll have any trouble being competitive with that D in front our Vezina caliber goalie.

People forget that if the other team can't score any goals, you don't have to score more than 1 or 2 per game to win.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 10:10 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
That's a ton of money.

Let's also keep in mind that pretty much every report from European sources proves to be untrue or inaccurate to some degree. I'm not saying that is necessarily true in this instance, but it's usually the case.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 10:12 AM
Fletch

$35MM after tax...

is a heck of a lot of money. If you consider all that money to be incremental (meaning Jagr has supplemental income that puts him into the top bracket for NYC, NYS and Federal tax purposes, you're talking about a tax rate of about 50% (under the current president - could be be a good deal higher under a new one). So $35MM would equate to about $70MM before taxes. That's a huge difference. Of course this is imperfect data since a smart accountant would say that all his income wasn't earned in NY because of his travel and he may file a ton of returns, but still, it's going to be a huge difference. Of course, would he get free medical and dental? I assume dental's pretty important to him.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 10:14 AM
squishy

For the record, this press conference has been scheduled for about a week, since before he met with Bardin. One of the beat reporters (Dellapina?) mentioned it would be held when he reported Jagr was on his way back to the CR. So I don't think it's necessarily as ominous as people are thinking.

He's basically a legend in the CR, who just returned for the summer. People want to talk to him.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 10:14 AM
bmw2004

He got to be stupid to refuse this kind of money and sign with Rangers for 3 times less money. Go Jaromir Go. It's better for both parties.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 10:19 AM
zestystrat

If true & you are a Jags fan, the bright side is that he's doing it b/f 7/1

it does help the team's FA plan of attack.

Old
06-27-2008, 10:20 AM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

I hope this is true and Jags takes it. He's worth that kind of money in the KHL. In the NHL, I don't think he has much value left.

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote