HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If gainey absolutelly wants a center, what are options B through E on UFA list?

Old
06-27-2008, 10:56 AM
NoKtUrN

vCash: 500
If gainey absolutelly wants a center, what are options B through E on UFA list?

If we don't get to sign Sundin and Bob said he is looking for a center, what do you think are the next options for Bob?

I know we could always trade but only with UFA centers, what would be the next 4 options you would go for in order?

I would have to go with

PlanB: Peter Forsberg (Less expensive than Sundin, even if he misses part of the season, we have enough depth)
PlanC: Bobby Holik (Good Shutdown guy that will provide some extra weight on the team)
PlanD: Sergei Fedorov (Getting old but might be a good fit with Kovy and Kostitsyns)
PlanE: Glen Metropolit (Seems to be a guy that's really tough to play against, not expensive and always liked the way the guy plays)

NoKtUrN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Brendan Morrison

Andrighetto Fabolous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:02 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Id be interested in either Fedorov or Holik...
Forsberg has been a distraction to every team he's been with ever since leaving Colorado..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:06 AM
Beakermania*

Some options in no particular order

Daymond Langkow (maybe signed in Calgary)
Brian Rolston (has played c before)
Joe Sakic (probably won't leave Colorado but you'd have to enquire)
David Vyborny (played c before)
Craig Conroy (expendable in Calgary with Cammalleri)
Holik
Federov
Forsberg

are all options

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

All I hope for is that Smolinski is not one of these options...

Old
06-27-2008, 11:08 AM
bhuya71

LETS SIGN MORE FLAMES!!!! but i wouldn 't want forsberg sorry....just too much risk of injury and what not. holik i like and maybe federov too hmmmm

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

I don't really know that there has to be an option past Sundin in the very specific area of "centre". Reading the names mentioned above, I don't see anybody I'd sign. Our existing centres could be upgraded by Sundin, but not necessarily by the rest.

Anyway, I thought the Habs were targeting an "impact forward" moreso than specifically a centre? Hossa or whoever probably gets some of the focus shifted to him as the "plan 1B"?

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:22 AM
NoKtUrN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't really know that there has to be an option past Sundin in the very specific area of "centre". Reading the names mentioned above, I don't see anybody I'd sign. Our existing centres could be upgraded by Sundin, but not necessarily by the rest.

Anyway, I thought the Habs were targeting an "impact forward" moreso than specifically a centre? Hossa or whoever probably gets some of the focus shifted to him as the "plan 1B"?
It was said not so long ago in the media, that Gainey was not interrested in Campbell or any D, that his priority was to sign a center like Sundin. That's why I think if Sundin does not sign, Gainey will try to get 1 or 2 of the guys mentionned in this thread or go the trade route to get a C.

I would not be disapointed to get Hossa or Jagr but I really doubt that Bob will make a big splash to get those guys, he wants a center and he's been pretty clear about that.

NoKtUrN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:29 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKtUrN View Post
If we don't get to sign Sundin and Bob said he is looking for a center, what do you think are the next options for Bob?

I know we could always trade but only with UFA centers, what would be the next 4 options you would go for in order?

I would have to go with

PlanB: Peter Forsberg (Less expensive than Sundin, even if he misses part of the season, we have enough depth)
PlanC: Bobby Holik (Good Shutdown guy that will provide some extra weight on the team)
PlanD: Sergei Fedorov (Getting old but might be a good fit with Kovy and Kostitsyns)
PlanE: Glen Metropolit (Seems to be a guy that's really tough to play against, not expensive and always liked the way the guy plays)
I dont like any of these options. BG should try to get Jarett Stoll through trade if he is available of course. With all their guys back, there will be a major logjam in EDM at the center position.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Beakermania*

For those who want to sign a Hossa or Jagr and then package Higgins + prospects for the centre you need..... the issue with this would be cap space.... thats why you need to get the Centre via UFA.... The guys you would trade to get a centre have cap friendly contracts and the centres available for trade don't.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Domenic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't really know that there has to be an option past Sundin in the very specific area of "centre"...
I think all through last year and the playoffs it was evident we needed a shut-down centre as well as an impact forward.

Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuya71 View Post
LETS SIGN MORE FLAMES!!!! but i wouldn 't want forsberg sorry....just too much risk of injury and what not. holik i like and maybe federov too hmmmm
Well... actually I like signing the Flames... Tanguay... Hammer... all good players..

Last edited by Dragon: 06-27-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Puckhead58*

We need a centerman who is going to play on the top 2 lines and who can put up points....otherwise there isn't any sense in looking.

We took care of one problem by getting Tanguay. We now have Tanguay, Higgins, Kovalev and A.Kostitsyn for wingers on our top 2 lines instead of struggling Ryder or young guy S. Kostitsyn.

If we don't sign Sundin....we're not likely going to get the centermen we need to improve the team. Any of the other free agent centers aren't the type of player the Habs are looking for. We need someone who is big, tough and can score points.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:56 AM
Sumoki Dachiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Brendan Morrison
Absolutely agree! While he doesn't address the size 'issue' we appear to have down the middle, I think B-Mo would make an excellent center on an offensive third line. The guy has good two-way ability, decent face-offs, good-to-great speed (at least he hopefully still has it after a summer of rehab) and he is reasonably gritty. Not to mention that he was a pretty clutch player when most of the 'Nucks were anything but (I'm talking Cloutier, Bertuzzi, Crow days).
If we can't get Sundin I think Morrison would make for a crafty pick-up by Bob and could easily pop in 50 points or so playing 3rd line + PK with Higgins, SKots, Lats or whoever. He also would not demand PP time thus leaving Koivu and Pleks happy.
I've actually been surprised to not see his name pop up here much before, he could really help the team out and is a heart and soul type of guy, as illustrated by his ironman streak of 6+ years previous to last season.

Sumoki Dachiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:11 PM
Lone Rogue

We can always go after the overrated Jeff Carter in RFA...

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
I think all through last year and the playoffs it was evident we needed a shut-down centre as well as an impact forward.
They're both "nice to haves" more than needs in my opinion. But be that as it may, I'm also not aware of any optimal shut-down centre on the market who I'd be ready to step up and pay a premium to secure either.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:19 PM
Garnet

I thought Tanguay can play center. Is this an option?

Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:20 PM
airlouche

Probably try to land Brian Rolston. Sign him for to year, 10 million deal?

airlouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet View Post
I thought Tanguay can play center. Is this an option?
Yeah he can play center... but he's way more effective on the wing and he sucks badly at faceoffs.

Old
06-27-2008, 12:25 PM
frederixx

None!

if not Sundin, he will trade for one.

frederixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Guy Germaine

I don't believe Gainey has ever stated that he's specifically searching for a center. He said he want an "impact forward", which is exactly what Sundin and Hossa are.
After those two, there really isn't that many to choose from out there.
If Gainey can't land one of those two, he'll probably just promote players internally or explore some trade options.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:32 PM
sampollock

if mats no come

he will pour out cash to hossa.

mats only centre worth the cash

hossa will get a big offer from the hab

and if we get him, i will lol my head off at pit, for giving up all that, for what?

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Mike8

Let's see, my priorities would be ...

Plan A: Sundin. Of course, Sundin is precisely what the Habs need: big, strong net presence, excellent offensive skills, not lacking defensively, a leader and a consistent, proven star forward.

Plan B: Hossa. Okay, it's nice to be optimistic and dream a little, but I don't think it's all that likely that Hossa's going to come to Montreal. I'm also not all that convinced that Hossa fits Montreal's needs precisely. But with that said, he's a proven top-10 winger in the game who's strong defensively, proved this past year that he's not a flake in the playoffs, and he's got plenty of speed. Even if he's a puckhog and more comfortable over an 82-game schedule of playing with pure complementary players as opposed to quality talents (such as his days playing with Bonk in Ottawa), then just stick him with Chipchura to create 3 dangerous lines.

Plan C: Naslund. I'm really interested to see Naslund in Montreal. He's a player who's fallen on hard times, playing in a system, with players that don't fit his style. Naslund generates offense off the rush. He's got strong fundamentals but needs to be in an open system with talent in order to thrive. He can play either wing, and I believe Montreal is the perfect place for Naslund to recapture his game and put up 30-35 goals on a point-per-game pace on a good-value contract (say, 4.5m).

Beyond these plans ... I wouldn't be opposed to the following:

Straka - I've always had a soft spot for Straka. A tenacious worker, speed to burn, versatile, decent defensively, solid on the PK, and a good playoff performer.

Rolston - I'm not convinced he fits Montreal's style, but he does have speed, fundamentals, able to use a booming shot from the point on the PP and able to play the PK.

Liles - I like his puck-moving abilities and skating.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Let's see, my priorities would be ...

Plan A: Sundin. Of course, Sundin is precisely what the Habs need: big, strong net presence, excellent offensive skills, not lacking defensively, a leader and a consistent, proven star forward.

Plan B: Hossa. Okay, it's nice to be optimistic and dream a little, but I don't think it's all that likely that Hossa's going to come to Montreal. I'm also not all that convinced that Hossa fits Montreal's needs precisely. But with that said, he's a proven top-10 winger in the game who's strong defensively, proved this past year that he's not a flake in the playoffs, and he's got plenty of speed. Even if he's a puckhog and more comfortable over an 82-game schedule of playing with pure complementary players as opposed to quality talents (such as his days playing with Bonk in Ottawa), then just stick him with Chipchura to create 3 dangerous lines.

Plan C: Naslund. I'm really interested to see Naslund in Montreal. He's a player who's fallen on hard times, playing in a system, with players that don't fit his style. Naslund generates offense off the rush. He's got strong fundamentals but needs to be in an open system with talent in order to thrive. He can play either wing, and I believe Montreal is the perfect place for Naslund to recapture his game and put up 30-35 goals on a point-per-game pace on a good-value contract (say, 4.5m).

Beyond these plans ... I wouldn't be opposed to the following:

Straka - I've always had a soft spot for Straka. A tenacious worker, speed to burn, versatile, decent defensively, solid on the PK, and a good playoff performer.

Rolston - I'm not convinced he fits Montreal's style, but he does have speed, fundamentals, able to use a booming shot from the point on the PP and able to play the PK.

Liles - I like his puck-moving abilities and skating.

Straka's going back to his Czech homland. Naslund might interest the Penguins as a less expensive alternative to Hossa. I'm skeptical that Hossa would sign with the Habs. Maybe Holik as a shutdown centre if Sundin goes elsewhere, but that's it.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Straka's going back to his Czech homland. Naslund might interest the Penguins as a less expensive alternative to Hossa. I'm skeptical that Hossa would sign with the Habs. Maybe Holik as a shutdown centre if Sundin goes elsewhere, but that's it.
The last I've read on Straka is that he's waiting July 1st to explore his options. This was announced after people thought he returned to the Czech Rep.

Naslund I'm sure would interest Pittsburgh, but I think Montreal's commitment to a free-flowing, talented offense would also interest Naslund. So he'd be worth pursuing.

I like Holik. But I'm not sure if his skillset fits Montreal's puck possession, quick-skating style.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote