HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bertuzzi on waivers : Worth a shot ?

Old
06-27-2008, 01:29 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley_5054 View Post
Maybe i'm gonna sound extreme. But to me the guy is a criminal. He does not deserve to wear the Montreal Canadiens Uniform.

He was a good player, but i swear to god that my respect for the Montreal Canadiens organization will drop if they sign him
Woooaahhhh..easy there buddy. If he's a criminal for his act, then so is 50% of the players for all the dirty hits given in this league.

Is Perezhogin a criminal too??

If Moore gets a mere concussion and is out for a month but continues his play, then we wouldn't even be here talking about Bertuzzi being waived.

Let me do a little recap for you..
Naslund, the league leading scorer at the time, gets hit on the head by Moore. The hit is questionable, some say dirty some not. Naslund suffers concussion.
Moore didn't have the best reputation out there either.
Next game, Bertuzzi tries to pick a fight with Moore, Moore refuses, Todd punches him from behind, doesn't know Moore is out. A pile up happens while Moore is still on the bottom unconscious.

What if he had punched him face to face?..would you have still considered him a criminal?..what if Moore doesn't even miss one game??..

Pavel Bure already did the same thing, to Simpson of the Flames back in the days if i remember correctly.
Is Kovalev a criminal for the free elbow given to Tucker??..
What about Pronger??..Simon??..McSorley??..

Its unfortunate what happened to Moore, call Bertz a p***y for punching from behind, but the guy isn't a criminal.

I never was a fan of Bertz really, mainly because my team was the Nordiques back in the days so when it moved i still liked Colorado, so not a Bertz fan.
But watch him make the comeback of the year next season if he stays healthy. This guy has the potential, all he needs is his focus.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 01:31 PM
viasyncro

AT least at 4 Million Bertuzzi is cheaper than D Penner at 4.25, which he was brought in to replace. The buyout will hurt a bit, but the picks from Edmonton should compensate

viasyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Doesn't matter what price he is, the answer is no. Bertuzzi is done, as simple as that, forget about him. Besides, he isn't even physical anymore. He is a big ***** on skates. After the incident he sucked in Vancouver, Florida, Detriot and Anahiem, give it up he is done.
Gotta say true. Was unimpressive in the playoffs on reasonably strong Wings and Ducks teams, and in the last 2 years he just doesn't look able to log big minutes or put a stamp on the game physically like he used to.

For the money, pass.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Stradale

Not at 4M$

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Yet Jason Smith and Derian Hatcher beat us last year and we are supposed to be the quickest team in the league.

If Gainey believes that team is close to a run, then Bertuzzi wouldn't be a bad option. If the team plays another playoff series against a team like Boston or Philly, then Bertuzzi would be beneficial.
We dominated Philly. I think we touched 250000000 posts during that series, on top of Biron making lucky saves. Price also took LSD and thought he was Santa Clause.
We saw how ''good'' the Flyers were when they ran out of luck vs the Penguins.

We have a young team, a lot of players had little to zero POs experience.
Boston also had little experienced players, but unlike ours, they don't like to control the puck so they dump, hit and chase. They had a good style to play against us.

We can say we last with our heads high because we didn't get dominated and actually played good.
Next year, we'll be better more experienced and ready.

Old
06-27-2008, 01:39 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Woooaahhhh..easy there buddy. If he's a criminal for his act, then so is 50% of the players for all the dirty hits given in this league.

Is Perezhogin a criminal too??

If Moore gets a mere concussion and is out for a month but continues his play, then we wouldn't even be here talking about Bertuzzi being waived.

Let me do a little recap for you..
Naslund, the league leading scorer at the time, gets hit on the head by Moore. The hit is questionable, some say dirty some not. Naslund suffers concussion.
Moore didn't have the best reputation out there either.
Next game, Bertuzzi tries to pick a fight with Moore, Moore refuses, Todd punches him from behind, doesn't know Moore is out. A pile up happens while Moore is still on the bottom unconscious.

What if he had punched him face to face?..would you have still considered him a criminal?..what if Moore doesn't even miss one game??..

Pavel Bure already did the same thing, to Simpson of the Flames back in the days if i remember correctly.
Is Kovalev a criminal for the free elbow given to Tucker??..
What about Pronger??..Simon??..McSorley??..

Its unfortunate what happened to Moore, call Bertz a p***y for punching from behind, but the guy isn't a criminal.

I never was a fan of Bertz really, mainly because my team was the Nordiques back in the days so when it moved i still liked Colorado, so not a Bertz fan.
But watch him make the comeback of the year next season if he stays healthy. This guy has the potential, all he needs is his focus.
Do we really need to get into this? What a waste of time this post is. I can't even believe you defending him anyways.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 01:43 PM
gusfring

Quote:
We dominated Philly. I think we touched 250000000 posts during that series, on top of Biron making lucky saves. Price also took LSD and thought he was Santa Clause.
We saw how ''good'' the Flyers were when they ran out of luck vs the Penguins.

We have a young team, a lot of players had little to zero POs experience.
Boston also had little experienced players, but unlike ours, they don't like to control the puck so they dump, hit and chase. They had a good style to play against us.

We can say we last with our heads high because we didn't get dominated and actually played good.
Next year, we'll be better more experienced and ready.
So our players are going to just become more physical and willing to sacrifice for the team?

This team needs more grit and jam on the top two lines, IMO.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 01:43 PM
shortcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
So was Alan Eagleson. I don't hear anyone complaining about that.
What Eagleson did was criminal. It also affected many other lives - ruined the retirement plans of many and, maybe less, still screwed people out of career possibilities (Bobby Orr).

What Bertuzzi did wasn't anywhere near on that level. It was foolish, thoughtless and affected only one person (not that this excuses what he did).

Would you have thrown out Perezhogin after his stick swinging incident? Would you have excluded the Rocket for his stick swinging incident? etc...

What Bertuzzi did was foolish and hurtful but it wasn't even ruled criminal.

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 01:46 PM
shortcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley_5054 View Post
Maybe i'm gonna sound extreme. But to me the guy is a criminal. He does not deserve to wear the Montreal Canadiens Uniform.

He was a good player, but i swear to god that my respect for the Montreal Canadiens organization will drop if they sign him
It is extreme... It was wrong but the incident was not judged criminal. Again, refer to my post above... what would you have done with Perezhogin or the Rocket? Judged them criminal?

I would trust Gainey. If Gainey feels that, at whatever pay level, Bertuzzi's a worthwhile investment for the team then it's good enough for me.

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Yet Jason Smith and Derian Hatcher beat us last year and we are supposed to be the quickest team in the league.

If Gainey believes that team is close to a run, then Bertuzzi wouldn't be a bad option. If the team plays another playoff series against a team like Boston or Philly, then Bertuzzi would be beneficial.
You really think Smith and Hatcher is really the reason Philly beat us? I dont remember them being dominant, or even being a factor in that series. Philly beat us because Biron was superior than Price and Philly got all the lucky bounces and that not an excuse, we all know that.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 01:51 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Do we really need to get into this? What a waste of time this post is. I can't even believe you defending him anyways.
If you're going to criticize my post and call it a ''waste of time'', maybe you should try understanding it better.

Where did I say his action were ok?..or that I defended him in any way?..

I said the guy is not a criminal.

Old
06-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
So our players are going to just become more physical and willing to sacrifice for the team?

This team needs more grit and jam on the top two lines, IMO.
They're going to become more confident and they'll have an idea of what is waiting for them. That helps them prepare physically and mentally.

You can just take the winners of this year's cup, Detroit, to compare.
Datsyuk and Zetterberg were always criticized over the years for being useless in POs.
What happened this year?..they dominated and didn't Datsyuk finish the POs with the most hits?..

Experience helps a whole lot, don't underestimate it.

Old
06-27-2008, 02:03 PM
znk

Quote:
This is a case of reacting to the consequences. There have been similar actions that didnt get as obvious results all though the intent might have been even worst.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 02:07 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcat1 View Post
What Eagleson did was criminal. It also affected many other lives - ruined the retirement plans of many and, maybe less, still screwed people out of career possibilities (Bobby Orr).

What Bertuzzi did wasn't anywhere near on that level. It was foolish, thoughtless and affected only one person (not that this excuses what he did).

Would you have thrown out Perezhogin after his stick swinging incident? Would you have excluded the Rocket for his stick swinging incident? etc...

What Bertuzzi did was foolish and hurtful but it wasn't even ruled criminal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcat1 View Post
It is extreme... It was wrong but the incident was not judged criminal. Again, refer to my post above... what would you have done with Perezhogin or the Rocket? Judged them criminal?

I would trust Gainey. If Gainey feels that, at whatever pay level, Bertuzzi's a worthwhile investment for the team then it's good enough for me.
Quote:
If you're going to criticize my post and call it a ''waste of time'', maybe you should try understanding it better.

Where did I say his action were ok?..or that I defended him in any way?..

I said the guy is not a criminal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
This is a case of reacting to the consequences. There have been similar actions that didnt get as obvious results all though the intent might have been even worst.
I can't believe I'm even getting into this, and this is going to be the last I am going to say about this matter. There is a difference in this instance to all the other examples and arguments you guys stated: Bertuzzi's act was premediatated.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I can't believe I'm even getting into this, and this is going to be the last I am going to say about this matter. There is a difference in this instance to all the other examples and arguments you guys stated: Bertuzzi's act was premediatated.
Well if you want to get technical so was Eagleson's. Since it wasn't a one time incident, but several different ones spread out over many years. The rest of them I agree with you though.

06-27-2008, 02:22 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
In this beautiful country of ours, and even in the States, correct me if im wrong but dont we say ''innocent until proven guilty''. It wasn't proven and it will never be simply because it wasn't.

Bertuzzi was chasing Moore all over the ice and inviting him to a fight. The invitation was refused, which probably ticked Bertz off even more and then he hit him.
A fight in the making was premeditated, but not a punch behind the head nor the intent to injure/end career.

If you didn't want to get into this, you shouldn't have commented on any of the post related to this.

Last edited by Kriss E: 06-27-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old
06-27-2008, 02:26 PM
znk

Quote:
Of course he did. But you cant honestly believe his intent was to end his career.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 02:39 PM
Artyukhin*

yes after the ducks buy him out id take him at 2.5 million.

man the phx coyotes are gonna be scarry good this year

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Stephen Locke*

No interest whatsoever.

I think the Habs are done spending money on marginalized and over-the-hill players.Didn't Gainey mention the need to continue building the Habs team on a speed/skating concept?Big Bert alone defeats that purpose.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 03:06 PM
qbtalshbh

this seems like a bad idea. the canadiens are looking very good right now. he would fit well on a team without much of a chance, or maybe the rangers or coyotes.

qbtalshbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Arent they going to buy him out before that? He wont cost $4M by then.
They have to waive him before they buy him out. I guess we'll see if anybody claims him first. If he does get bought out and doesn't sign anywhere by July 5th and we're once again left standing when the music stops, well, that's when I'll start to think about Bertuzzi. I don't think that's even "Plan D". Just kind of an afterthought. But who knows, it's not impossible that we'd be down to afterthoughts.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 03:11 PM
zzoo

Let's sign both Bertuzzi and Naslund.

zzoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Habs

I'd take him, its worth the risk.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
I hate Bertuzzi, never liked him, never will

big NO from me.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 03:39 PM
MTL-rules

When I saw this news on RDS, I was so afraid I would see this thread on hfboards... and of course, it happened...

The guy isn't even wanted on a team that is built for him... and some of you want him... come on.

Gainey said it anyway, the habs are a fast offensive team, they're build this way and going to stay this way... Bertuzzi is just a very bad fit in all aspects...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote