HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames re-sign Langkow, Conroy, Nystrom and McElhinney

Old
06-27-2008, 04:29 PM
SedinFan*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4thecup View Post
^ Isn't is 450k?
With the cap rising, it's gone up. Average player salary to hit 2 million this year.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 04:30 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker View Post
Close minded opinion. Venture out.
All I see is a Canucks fan trying to derail a thread about 4 signings made today to talk about a signing from a year ago.

MrMastodonFarm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 04:30 PM
SedinFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
All I see is a Canucks fan trying to derail a thread about 4 signings made today to talk about a signing from a year ago.
Just analysis and commentary in response, that's all. Don't blow it up into something it is not.

Moving on...

Old
06-27-2008, 04:32 PM
Ticonderoga

Quote:
Fair enough, I guess we all have different perspectives. We'll agree to disagree.
His mistakes aside, which were not as numerous as you may think. He plays well with Calgary, he has a role and does well with it. He is a for sure 2nd pairing defensemen with Calgary his role shutting down Thornton during the playoffs helps that case as he and Regehr did a good job there, and that hit was heard all around the hockey world.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 04:34 PM
SedinFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Iggy View Post
His mistakes aside, which were not as numerous as you may think. He plays well with Calgary, he has a role and does well with it. He is a for sure 2nd pairing defensemen with Calgary his role shutting down Thornton during the playoffs helps that case as he and Regehr did a good job there, and that hit was heard all around the hockey world.
I did quite enjoy that hit. Thornton's not that difficult to shut down in the Playoffs by the way, he barely shows up. The king of playoff second assists.

Old
06-27-2008, 04:35 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Pretty sure that the league minimum isn't 850k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4thecup View Post
^ Isn't is 450k?
$475,000 this season, and jumps to $500,000 in 2009-10.

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 04:37 PM
qwerty

As a Flame's fan, I would prefer to let Sarich go and re-sign Vandermeer at $1.6m and keep the extra $2m in cap space to help sign a 1st line forward from the UFA market.

qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 04:39 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
As a Flame's fan, I would prefer to let Sarich go and re-sign Vandermeer at $1.6m and keep the extra $2m in cap space to help sign a 1st line forward from the UFA market.
Vandermeer was a nice surprise, but he is in no way shape or form in Sarich's league. When he was forced to play those type of minutes with the Flyers, he fell flat on his face.

MrMastodonFarm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 04:45 PM
kolanos

It could be worse, the Flames could be spending $3.75M in cap space for Bieksa to crap the bed on a near nightly basis.

kolanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 04:48 PM
SedinFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolanos View Post
It could be worse, the Flames could be spending $3.75M in cap space for Bieksa to crap the bed on a near nightly basis.
Considering he only appeared in 34 games, I'd be willing to let him prove this season that he is worth that contract. But, that's up in the air.

My guess is that he's not even around come the beginning of the season.

Old
06-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Ticonderoga

Quote:
I did quite enjoy that hit. Thornton's not that difficult to shut down in the Playoffs by the way, he barely shows up. The king of playoff second assists.
Yes we have all read the Tin Man thread. He is still one of the best play making centers in the NHL who actually found some of his game in that series against the Flames.

Old
06-27-2008, 04:55 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneufed View Post
Conroy is apperently getting 1-1.1 million according to CP for 1 or 2 years, that is a STEAL. Conroy is still decent, i'm not sure why some posters are surprised by us re-signing him.

Conroy's new deal is $2.1M for two years.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Ticonderoga

Quote:
I would not want Vandermeer playing those kinds of minutes.

Old
06-27-2008, 05:02 PM
HOF

I'm surprised Sutter signed everybody back, but there's not much out there. This is a Flames team who cannot get out of the first round and had no significant injuries last year and barely grabbed the 8th spot. i see them on a decline this year.

HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 05:02 PM
qwerty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Vandermeer was a nice surprise, but he is in no way shape or form in Sarich's league. When he was forced to play those type of minutes with the Flyers, he fell flat on his face.
He may not be as good as Sarich in most areas. But playing along side Robyn Regehr would certainly help make him play a simpler game. Sarich is real hot or cold defenseman; he's great when he keeps things simple and can block a lot of shots. But he's prone to making mistakes and can turnover pucks quite a lot and coupled with the fact that his offensive game is virtually non-existent (7 points), I wouldn't say he's playing up to his hefty salary.

If he can be traded, I would and that extra $2m-$2.5m could be the difference between landing a Mats Sundin over a Ryan Malone.

Old
06-27-2008, 05:09 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF View Post
I'm surprised Sutter signed everybody back, but there's not much out there. This is a Flames team who cannot get out of the first round and had no significant injuries last year and barely grabbed the 8th spot. i see them on a decline this year.

Sutter didn't sign everybody back, and the off-season isn't done yet.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 05:13 PM
qwerty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF View Post
In today's NHL, to get a 8th spot or a 7th spot as the Flames did in this years playoffs, could still translate into a long playoff run. The Flames played against supposedly the hottest team in the playoffs and still took it to a game 7. Had Kipper not played so poorly in game 7, perhaps the Flames would've been in the second round, or if players like Tanguay and Huselius had stepped their game up a little more like how Pavelski and Clowe did, than the Flames would've been in.

The NW is just consistently the closest division in terms of parity and if the Flames can grind out a bunch of victories against most NW opponents, the playoffs aren't out of the question.

Old
06-27-2008, 05:14 PM
Ticonderoga

Quote:
He may not be as good as Sarich in most areas. But playing along side Robyn Regehr would certainly help make him play a simpler game. Sarich is real hot or cold defenseman; he's great when he keeps things simple and can block a lot of shots. But he's prone to making mistakes and can turnover pucks quite a lot and coupled with the fact that his offensive game is virtually non-existent (7 points), I wouldn't say he's playing up to his hefty salary.

If he can be traded, I would and that extra $2m-$2.5m could be the difference between landing a Mats Sundin over a Ryan Malone.
I thought he found some consistency there for awhile during the season, but yes is prone to some bad turn overs and stupid penalties.

The only way I would trade him is if we could find someone to fill his minutes on this team and currently we do not. The cap space would be ok, but it would not be significant enough if you consider we would need to bring a another defense man on to fill his minutes.

Where we are with the defense is fine with me.

Old
06-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
The NW is just consistently the closest division in terms of parity.
All it takes is a bit of a losing streak in the "home stretch" or some untimely injuries - for *any* NW team to be "on the outside looking in" for the post-season. Definately no "easy two points" in our division.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 05:26 PM
BleedCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolanos View Post
Ummm... not sure how came out this but Bieksa was their best defenseman in 2005-2006 season on a defense squad which was superior to the Flames current squad. So if Bieksa isn't worth $3.75M, Sarich, Aucoin and Regher are vastly overpayed.

I would rather have Bieksa then any of your defenseman not named Phaneuf. It was nice attempt to make yourself feel better about the fact your team WILL NOT get better this offseason. Instead they will get worse. As a Canucks fan, I hope Langkow's contract is 4+ years long.

Question: How does Sutter go about replacing 41g, 57a that will walk out the door on July 1st (Huselius, Nolan) with only around $1M average per remaining roster spot?

Last edited by BleedCanucks: 06-27-2008 at 05:31 PM.
BleedCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedCanucks View Post
Ummm... not sure how came out this but Bieksa was their best defenseman in 2005-2006 season on a defense squad which was superior to the Flames current squad. So if Bieksa isn't worth $3.75M, Sarich, Aucoin and Regher are vastly overpayed.

I would rather have Bieksa then any of your defenseman not named Phaneuf. It was nice attempt to make yourself feel better about the fact your team WILL NOT get better this offseason. Instead they will get worse. As a Canucks fan, I hope Langkow's contract is 4+ years long.

Question: How does Sutter go about replacing 41g, 57a that will walk out the door on July 1st (Huselius, Nolan) with only around $1M average per remaining roster spot?
are you counting the salaries of the guys on waivers?

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Flash Walken

Sweet Trolling Moderation.

Sutter signs what looks to be 3 guys for below market value, and two pages of discussion are taken up by canuck fans trolling about a signing made a year ago.

Might as well get my jab in:

Conroy > Wellwood

Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Lunatik*

ok so we know Conroy is a 1.05 cap hit (rumored)... what does it look like for Nystrom, McElhinney and Langkow?

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedCanucks View Post
Through astute free agent signings and the prospects in the system?

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 06:05 PM
CaptainCrunch67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
are you counting the salaries of the guys on waivers?
I think he has to be, with the salaries of the waivered players turned to buy outs, the Flames were sitting at about 39 million in salaries, so they had 18 million to spend to the cap. Langkow is probably in the 5 million dollar range. Nystrom, Curtis Mac and Conroy will probably all be in the million dollar range which leaves about 10 million for 9 forwards, 4 defenseman and 2 goalies. So the Flames would need four forwards, 3 defensemen for 10 million bucks. Its asummed that Gio is signed probably for about a mil, Vandemeer will probably cost about 1.6, so that takes it down to about 7 with Pardy coming in as depth for under a mil so 6 million is left . Expect Prust to come up for under a million which leaves about 5 million for one top 6 forward and 2 bottom 6 forwards.

CaptainCrunch67 is offline   Reply With Quote