HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Orpik going into Free Agency

Old
06-27-2008, 10:02 AM
NYROrtsFan

vCash: 500
He got a ton of ice time in the playoffs though and wasn't exactly paired with the most defensively responsible partner.

And I would disagree that the Pens got Hal Gill to play as their physical defenseman. Orpik covered that end, but they just wanted another guy who could really play a defensive style.

Orpik isn't a shutdown guy though. I think he's similar to Kaspar in that you couldn't trust him out there to shut things down against the best, but you can guarantee that he's going to put some fear into everyone out there. Can change games with the physicality that he brings.

Rangers fans have been clamoring for the return of someone like Beukeboom for years. The chance of getting someone like that again is intriguing to say the least, especially given that Orpik is basically far from being done as a player.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 10:08 AM
Levitate

basically, if it's going to cost $4.5 mill or more for him, I'd rather the Rangers put that towards someone who can move the puck. Hell, I'd basically rather have Campbell over Orpik at this point if he's going to demand that much.

They'll both probably be amazingly overpaid

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 10:09 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthlandPro View Post
Orpik is a type of player that we do have in the organization so if we need to overpay to acquire him, we do. People need to get over money. Would they rather trade other assets to acquire a similar player who cost less money? No, you pay a little more, still have those assets to use to acquire something else you need.
I think you left out an important word.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 10:14 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
He got a ton of ice time in the playoffs though and wasn't exactly paired with the most defensively responsible partner.

And I would disagree that the Pens got Hal Gill to play as their physical defenseman. Orpik covered that end, but they just wanted another guy who could really play a defensive style.

Orpik isn't a shutdown guy though. I think he's similar to Kaspar in that you couldn't trust him out there to shut things down against the best, but you can guarantee that he's going to put some fear into everyone out there. Can change games with the physicality that he brings.

Rangers fans have been clamoring for the return of someone like Beukeboom for years. The chance of getting someone like that again is intriguing to say the least, especially given that Orpik is basically far from being done as a player.

And I don't think a lot of people realize just how much of a game changer that can be. When Kaspar was in his prime guys made sure they were aware of where he was on the ice. It may not seem like a huge deal, but knowing that they could be about to get their head knocked off is a big motivator. This kind of physicality makes guys pass the puck a split second earlier than they would otherwise, miss their pass altogether, or even turn the puck over. This translates into less offense on the other side. Unfortunately we haven't had this presence in quite a while.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:38 AM
sickboy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
People have said over and over..we need a strong hitting defenseman on our blueline that will make sure nobody goes near Lundqvist.

One finally comes along and now we are worried to overpay him by $500,000? He's just entering his prime years. And EVERYONE is overpaid, if you want a good defenseman you have to overpay...its just that simple.

3 years at 4.0-4.2 million, get it done Slats.

If you want a top 4 defenseman on the UFA market be prepared to overpay.
couldn't of said it better fly and while on this topic i said like two or three years ago to sign malone while he was young and cheap and a bunch of people said no way, well now that same player is going to cost a whole lot of money that we are not going to pay. he would've been a perfect fit here. so i say sign orpick and why does everyones panties get in a bunch when talking salary cap? your not paying it and your not running the team? i'm sure they have accountants that can handle the cap situation.

sickboy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

As an alternative to Orpik, apparently Detroit is going to have issues resigning Brad Stuart at his 3.5 mil salary.

Quote:
Lowdown: The Wings can't afford Stuart at $3.5 million for next season, but he has certainly made a case for staying with his impressive playoff outing.
Link: 2008 All Free Agent Team

I really love Stuarts game, although he isn't a shut-down d-man by any means, he throws his body around and would be fantastic paired with Girardi or Tyutin.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
As an alternative to Orpik, apparently Detroit is going to have issues resigning Brad Stuart at his 3.5 mil salary.

I really love Stuarts game, although he isn't a shut-down d-man by any means, he throws his body around and would be fantastic paired with Girardi or Tyutin.
would love to get him but doubt he goes out east, he'll probably return to LA

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:19 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

heck, you could always sign em both, but not have a true puck mover...

Staal Orpik
Girardi Stuart
Tyutin Whoever

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Would you rather have Backman...or sign Orpik to 4.5 million? Thats the real question.
in what backwards world is that the real question?

Old
06-27-2008, 02:26 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
in what backwards world is that the real question?
Well thats what it will come down to. Backman will be in our lineup every night if we don't sign defensemen, if we sign Orpik, Backman would most likely be in the press box.

So let me rephrase it:

Are you willing to pay 4.5 million for a nice upgrade on defense?

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 02:31 PM
NYR Viper

IMO, one of orpik and stuart should be the top priority for the rangers.....and then one of liles, redden and campbell(who i dont want), as far as defense goes

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Well thats what it will come down to. Backman will be in our lineup every night if we don't sign defensemen, if we sign Orpik, Backman would most likely be in the press box.

So let me rephrase it:

I still think they are going Cambpell and Montador ............

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 02:37 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

So let me rephrase it:

No, actually, he'll be in Hartford, so the Rangers don't get dinged the $2.3 million from his salary.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
signing Orpik for $4.5 million is hardly the only way to get Backman out of the lineup.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 04:45 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
No, actually, he'll be in Hartford, so the Rangers don't get dinged the $2.3 million from his salary.
Even better...

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 05:08 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

The Rangers have 3 defenseman (Tyutin, Staal, Girardi) who we all pretty much agree will be in the lineup (barring a trade) for the next two years at an apoproximate cap hit of $5MM. With the cap at $56MM, I don't think it's impossible that the balance of the defense can and will cost $10-11MM. That's probably enough $ for one star (Campbell, Redden, Boyle), one warrior (Orpik) and one rookie (Potter, Sanguinetti, Sauer). I can do that. It also may make Girardi or Tyutin tradeable in a year or two as young players mature. And it also makes Redden (shorter term than others) a better buy for the same reason. Sets you up nicely for short and long term.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 06:00 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
The Rangers have 3 defenseman (Tyutin, Staal, Girardi) who we all pretty much agree will be in the lineup (barring a trade) for the next two years at an apoproximate cap hit of $5MM. With the cap at $56MM, I don't think it's impossible that the balance of the defense can and will cost $10-11MM. That's probably enough $ for one star (Campbell, Redden, Boyle), one warrior (Orpik) and one rookie (Potter, Sanguinetti, Sauer). I can do that. It also may make Girardi or Tyutin tradeable in a year or two as young players mature. And it also makes Redden (shorter term than others) a better buy for the same reason. Sets you up nicely for short and long term.
Agreed...give me Redden, Orpik, and, (unless Bobby S. is ready), Potter.

Old
06-27-2008, 06:54 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Agreed...give me Redden, Orpik, and, (unless Bobby S. is ready), Potter.
so...

Staal Redden
Toots Girardi
Orpik Potter

Backman 7th man?

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 07:18 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
so...

Staal Redden
Toots Girardi
Orpik Potter

Backman 7th man?
If Backman isn't in the lineup, he's headed to Hartford. You can't have his $2.3 million clogging up the cap if he's not playing.

Old
06-28-2008, 08:55 AM
NorthlandPro

We can not go over board here signing Dmen. Sangs, Sauer & MDZ are on the near horizon. Sangs & Sauer within a year's time frame and MDZ by 2-2 1/2 yrs. Orpik still is the only type of Dman we don't have, a banger. Sangs & MDZ are the PP QB guys. Sauer will be a quality shutdown Dman. Signing a Redden or Campbell will block the path of one of Sangs & MDZ. Granted that would avail them to be traded for something else we need, maybe as part of a large package for a worldclass young player. But, that would be saying the sme of the young forwards we have that have offense will not fit the bill.

More than any other year this is the year where we need to clear roster space and cap space for these young kids that will be coming up in the next couple of years.

NorthlandPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Ash

I don't think you go ahead

relying on Sauer. He has talent and he projects to exactly what we need, but up till now, he's been more projection than production.

Now, understandably his development has been hindered by injuries. But the kid is 20 years old, and realistically speaking he's 3-4 years away from being a decently dependable NHL defenseman. Not everyone is going to be Marc Staal. If he overperforms like Staal did, then great, another benefit. But odds are he'll have a slow development curve like most young d-men. Look at Tyutin and Girardi. I'm not down on these guys. I think they can be good 3 and 4 d-men (respectively) in time. But they're still kids (in terms of d-men) and they're probably a good year or two from getting where we'd ideally want them to be. Thankfully, they've played a lot and that'll help down the road.

Now, my point is that in light of all of this is that if Orpik is out there and he wants 4 to 4.5 for 4 years, you do the deal. You're overpaying by about 500 to 750k, and that's a bummer. But if you're going to overpay, overpay on a guy who's young, produced against the best offenses in the league in crunch time, and who realistically can get even better and fits exactly with what we need.

Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 03:20 PM
HenriksBetter

If we can get Orpik for around $4m than i say do it. He is exactly what the Rangers need. But if he is looking for $5m or more than you have to pass. Brad Stuart might be a good alternative to Orpik if he ends up costing to much. I would be very happy with either guy.

HenriksBetter is offline   Reply With Quote