HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If gainey absolutelly wants a center, what are options B through E on UFA list?

Old
06-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Capitano

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
The last I've read on Straka is that he's waiting July 1st to explore his options. This was announced after people thought he returned to the Czech Rep.

Naslund I'm sure would interest Pittsburgh, but I think Montreal's commitment to a free-flowing, talented offense would also interest Naslund. So he'd be worth pursuing.

I like Holik. But I'm not sure if his skillset fits Montreal's puck possession, quick-skating style.
We lacked a physical presence in the Philly series...Holik isn't the player he used to be, but I would take him over Smolinski anyday.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Prospector

I do not think Gainey absolutely wants a center.
I think he wants a right handed shooter for the PP especially the 5 on 3 (everybody remember the painful era of Smolinski on the pp). If it's a center than it's a bonus, because it gives more option for the faceoffs.

Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
We lacked a physical presence in the Philly series...Holik isn't the player he used to be, but I would take him over Smolinski anyday.
I'd say Montreal didn't have sufficient offense to put the team over the top to win.

And the team didn't have sufficient defense to shut down a rather unimpressive, albeit deep, group of Philly forwards.

And the team didn't have the goaltending that made the game-changing stops.

I don't think grit enters the equation. Montreal's not a gritty team. It won't be a gritty team if Holik is signed. And signing Holik because he's a better option than Smolinski isn't a justifiable reason to throw money at Holik--especially given that Chipchura can and ought to be taking Smolinski's spot anyhow.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Capitano

Quote:
I'd say Montreal didn't have sufficient offense to put the team over the top to win.

And the team didn't have sufficient defense to shut down a rather unimpressive, albeit deep, group of Philly forwards.

And the team didn't have the goaltending that made the game-changing stops.

I don't think grit enters the equation. Montreal's not a gritty team. It won't be a gritty team if Holik is signed. And signing Holik because he's a better option than Smolinski isn't a justifiable reason to throw money at Holik--especially given that Chipchura can and ought to be taking Smolinski's spot anyhow.
Holik has won a cup and was instrumental for his team in the playoffs, that counts for something to me. I like Chip, but we've got to consider ourselves contenders at this point in time.

Old
06-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Holik has won a cup and was instrumental for his team in the playoffs, that counts for something to me. I like Chip, but we've got to consider ourselves contenders at this point in time.
Yes, Holik won a Cup and was very important for that Cup win. But that was in a different era, on a completely different team, with a different Holik entirely.

As much as I enjoyed Holik during his time in New Jersey, I think it would be foolish to look at what Holik did there as an indication of what we could expect from him in Montreal.

Old
06-27-2008, 02:27 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Brendan Morrison
Hasn't Morrison been sucking real bad in the past few seasons?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Yes, Holik won a Cup and was very important for that Cup win. But that was in a different era, on a completely different team, with a different Holik entirely.

As much as I enjoyed Holik during his time in New Jersey, I think it would be foolish to look at what Holik did there as an indication of what we could expect from him in Montreal.
I think we'd have a better chance at a cup with Holik as our 3rd center instead of Chip or Smoke, just my opinion.

Old
06-27-2008, 02:33 PM
mcphee

During Carbo's last years in Dallas he played on an ongoing Grumpy Old Men line with guys like McPhee,Muller, Keane, whichever end of the road, smart player was around.

I watched them a bit and it struck me how they moved the puck well into corners, or into positions where they could reduce the shift into puck battles. You need a C who can mange the puck to play that game.

Smolinski-Begin-TK had a good playoff largely due to Smolinski playing this style down the stretch. Knowing how to get it into a position where his wingers could be strong on the puck takes some experinece and instinct.

I think Carbo wants this from a 4th line. Smart,grinding hockey. He has 7-9 other fowards tro play razzle dazzle, these guys need to play difefrently.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Smolinski or his clone in that role. It depends on how they view what Chipchura can do.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 02:34 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Hasn't Morrison been sucking real bad in the past few seasons?
Last year he was hurt (first time in his career) and got 25 points in 39 games, the year before he got 50 points. He also has been playing with terrible players as Vancouver lacks depth after their first line... if we can't sign Sundin I don't think Morrison would be a bad fit on the third line as he could chip in with 50+ points, play solid D and help in the face off circle.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Mike8

Quote:
I think we'd have a better chance at a cup with Holik as our 3rd center instead of Chip or Smoke, just my opinion.
Fair enough. I'm not against it, I'm just not convinced it'd be a good move. Who would you see Holik playing with, and what salary would you be prepared to give him?

Old
06-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Fair enough. I'm not against it, I'm just not convinced it'd be a good move. Who would you see Holik playing with, and what salary would you be prepared to give him?
I was never comfortable with our lack of a shutdown line - so a line of Holik, TKO, and Begin would be fine with me. More or less replace Smoke with Holik.

As for salary - that's a good question. Not sure what he is worth - but I wasn't even thinking salary at this point in time. If he would want more than 3 million I would probably look elsewhere.

I have always liked his mean-ness though.

Old
06-27-2008, 02:44 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
I was never comfortable with our lack of a shutdown line - so a line of Holik, TKO, and Begin would be fine with me. More or less replace Smoke with Holik.

As for salary - that's a good question. Not sure what he is worth - but I wasn't even thinking salary at this point in time. If he would want more than 3 million I would probably look elsewhere.

His mean streak burns you more than it helps you with Holik, from games I have watched he has taken some really untimely penalty’s. Also his skating is bad and in the NEW NHL I don't believe he is what the Canadiens are looking for, as a fast team a slow player especially a centre can really slow down a teams momentum.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Mike8

Quote:

Yeah, he's a mixture of mean and dirty. Developed a good bit while playing with Claude, perhaps.

I think that price is a little too steep for me for anyone in a fourth-line role. But that's me. I also don't believe in Holik as a shut-down center anymore. Shut-down centers need a little more speed these days to deal with the likes of Briere, Crosby, et al. Plus, I'm not sold on Holik's fundamentals being where they were with NJ.

Anyhow, I probably wouldn't mind a Holik signing purely for the fact that I like him, but I don't think he'd be good for this team right now.

Old
06-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
His mean streak burns you more than it helps you with Holik, from games I have watched he has taken some really untimely penalty’s. Also his skating is bad and in the NEW NHL I don't believe he is what the Canadiens are looking for, as a fast team a slow player especially a centre can really slow down a teams momentum.
Indeed. Bonk had a penchant for slowing the play down by passing the puck back to the D whenever he didn't see a lane moving forward; this slowed the play down even more than his below average skating, and this made him undesirable. Same deal for Johnson, even though his skating was above average.

Old
06-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Let's see, my priorities would be ...

Plan A: Sundin. Of course, Sundin is precisely what the Habs need: big, strong net presence, excellent offensive skills, not lacking defensively, a leader and a consistent, proven star forward.

Plan B: Hossa. Okay, it's nice to be optimistic and dream a little, but I don't think it's all that likely that Hossa's going to come to Montreal. I'm also not all that convinced that Hossa fits Montreal's needs precisely. But with that said, he's a proven top-10 winger in the game who's strong defensively, proved this past year that he's not a flake in the playoffs, and he's got plenty of speed. Even if he's a puckhog and more comfortable over an 82-game schedule of playing with pure complementary players as opposed to quality talents (such as his days playing with Bonk in Ottawa), then just stick him with Chipchura to create 3 dangerous lines.

Plan C: Naslund. I'm really interested to see Naslund in Montreal. He's a player who's fallen on hard times, playing in a system, with players that don't fit his style. Naslund generates offense off the rush. He's got strong fundamentals but needs to be in an open system with talent in order to thrive. He can play either wing, and I believe Montreal is the perfect place for Naslund to recapture his game and put up 30-35 goals on a point-per-game pace on a good-value contract (say, 4.5m).
I endorse that prioritization. Naslund is a decent enough fallback "Plan C" option, so long as it's a 1-year deal.
Quote:
Beyond these plans ... I wouldn't be opposed to the following:

Straka - I've always had a soft spot for Straka. A tenacious worker, speed to burn, versatile, decent defensively, solid on the PK, and a good playoff performer.

Rolston - I'm not convinced he fits Montreal's style, but he does have speed, fundamentals, able to use a booming shot from the point on the PP and able to play the PK.

Liles - I like his puck-moving abilities and skating.
I would probably sneak out onto the limb of assuming that guys who aren't in our Plan A/B/C probably are in some other team's, and hence they aren't likely catches for us down at "Plan D". But who knows. We have money to burn, so the brass will have to line up a bunch of ways in which to burn it. Even if the fit isn't perfect (or even readily apparent), any chance we get to add good players should probably be taken. (With a suitable eye cast to our longterm payroll structure, of course).

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 05:01 PM
DrMailloux

Brian Rolston or Daymond Langkow are the only quality backup plan for a center if Sundin say no to montreal.

Other than that, in the current UFA list there are guys that we could sign long term:
Marian Hossa
Kristian Huselius
John-Michael Liles
Brooks Orpik

Guys that could help for the playoff run:
Markus Naslund
Cory Stillman

And two low cost UFA to make the habs a more polished team:
Jay Pandolfo(PK) and Georges Laraque(Muscle).

DrMailloux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 05:07 PM
CrossCheck

Rolston

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 08:10 PM
JrHockeyFan

ALL THE ufa CENTERS

Player Age Team Pos 2008 FA Status 07/08 Cap Number 07/08 Salary
Weight, Doug 37 ANA C UFA 3.500 3.500
Doell, Kevin 28 ATL C UFA 0.475 0.475
Holik, Bobby 37 ATL C UFA 4.250 4.250
Krog, Jason 32 ATL C UFA 0.475 0.500
Rucchin, Steve 36 ATL C UFA 2.125 2.400
Metropolit, Glen 34 BOS C UFA 0.500 0.500
Ryan, Michael 28 BUF C UFA 0.475 0.475
Langkow, Daymond 31 CGY C UFA 2.442 2.442
Smith, Mark 30 CGY C UFA 0.487 0.487
Yelle, Stephane 34 CGY C UFA 1.400 1.250
Adams, Kevyn 33 CHI C UFA 0.650 0.650
Perreault, Yanic 37 CHI C UFA 1.500 1.500
Williams, Jason 27 CHI C UFA 1.600 1.600
Konopka, Zenon 27 CLB C UFA 0.500 0.500
MacKenzie, Derek 27 CLB C UFA 0.500 0.500
Peca, Michael 34 CLB C UFA 1.915 1.315
Forsberg, Peter 34 COL C UFA 5.000 5.000
Hlinka, Jaroslav 31 COL C UFA 0.600 0.600
Sakic, Joe 38 COL C UFA 6.750 6.750
Smith, Wyatt 31 COL C UFA 0.500 0.500
Barnes, Stu 37 DAL C UFA 0.900 0.900
Winchester, Brad 27 DAL C UFA 0.475 0.475
Hartigan, Mark 30 DET C UFA 0.550 0.550
Reasoner, Marty 31 EDM C UFA 0.950 0.950
Smolinski, Bryan 36 MTL C UFA 2.000 2.000
Vasicek, Josef 27 NYI C UFA 0.750 0.750
Avery, Sean 28 NYR C UFA 1.900 1.900
Straka, Martin 35 NYR C UFA 3.300 3.300
Robitaille, Randy 32 OTT C UFA 0.625 0.625
Dowd, Jim 39 PHI C UFA 0.500 0.500
Prospal, Vaclav 33 PHI C UFA 1.900 1.900
Kapanen, Niko 30 PHX C UFA 0.850 0.900
York, Mike 30 PHX C UFA 1.000 1.000
Beech, Kris 27 PIT C UFA 0.585 0.585
Brown, Curtis 32 SJS C UFA 0.700 0.700
Rissmiller, Patrick 29 SJS C UFA 0.557 0.595
Roenick, Jeremy 38 SJS C UFA 0.500 0.500
Glumac, Mike 28 STL C UFA 0.495 0.495
Johnson, Ryan 32 STL C UFA 0.800 0.800
Gratton, Chris 32 TBL C UFA 1.500 1.500
Karlsson, Andreas 32 TBL C UFA 0.500 0.500
MacDonald, Craig 31 TBL C UFA 0.500 0.500
Taylor, Tim 39 TBL C UFA 0.650 0.500
Moore, Dominic 27 TOR C UFA 0.700 0.700
Pohl, John 29 TOR C UFA 0.463 0.475
Sundin, Mats 37 TOR C UFA 5.500 5.500
Linden, Trevor 38 VAN C UFA 0.950 0.600
Morrison, Brendan 32 VAN C UFA 3.200 3.200
Ritchie, Byron 31 VAN C UFA 0.675 0.675
Fedorov, Sergei 38 WAS C UFA 6.080 6.080

Some who have been signed I see like Chris Kelly and Conroy for example

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Maxpac

Anyone who wants Morrison knows nothing about the sport of hockey and he would be a disaster waiting to happen if he comes here, he's been super-overrated ever since he played on the Naslund-Bertuzzi line.....

As for the plan B, imo it's either we sign Sundin or trade for Marleau, those are the ONLY 2 options, we need size and goals, if we can't get 1 of the 2 then putr a kid in there place

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 08:50 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Anyone who wants Morrison knows nothing about the sport of hockey and he would be a disaster waiting to happen if he comes here, he's been super-overrated ever since he played on the Naslund-Bertuzzi line.....

As for the plan B, imo it's either we sign Sundin or trade for Marleau, those are the ONLY 2 options, we need size and goals, if we can't get 1 of the 2 then putr a kid in there place
Hmm... you say Morrison is super overrated yet you think we should get 50 point Marleau and his 6 million dollar contract? I suggested Morrison because he would be cheap and he'd be on a third line, not a first or second line in Vancouver where he was relied upon for offense. 45-50 points and solid defence is what we would get from him and he'd come cheap... he's not who I want but he's a lot better than many of the UFA centers available.

If we do trade for someone the best options would be Jason Arnott or Jaret Stoll. Arnott would probably cost a lot to get but he has a decent salary and he's got good size, something we lack down the middle. Jaret Stoll is a buy low option coming off a bad season, the guy is money in the faceoff circle and he has a rocket which would take over for Streit on the PP. If we can't get Sundin i'd love Stoll as he was also a teammate of many of our young guys like Higgins and Plex in Hamilton.

Old
06-27-2008, 09:01 PM
Toro

Gainey has stated recently(help with a link?) that he is in the market for a top center. If Sundin doesn't sign with the Habs Gainey will most likely trade for a center as the UFA options are limited.

Gainey is searching for a center with size and strength, good at faceoffs, can score goals and dominate down low. Sundin is his 1st choice, not sure what his second choice is but i imagine it would be a trade.

If there is nothing at top center available to him, i would go after a guy like rolston. He could be a perfect fit at 3rd line center/ Point on the PP. He replaces most of streit's minutes on the PP and takes smolinski's job as 3rd line center. Chipchura can play 4th center and learn the ropes and push for the shutdown duties by seasons end hopefully.

Rolston is a good vet that can shoot the puck as good as anyone and could excell in a few roles on the habs as i have stated.

Not very high on most of the guys listed in this thread. Holik, fedorov, forsberg etc for they don't fit as well for style and salary/health etc.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
During Carbo's last years in Dallas he played on an ongoing Grumpy Old Men line with guys like McPhee,Muller, Keane, whichever end of the road, smart player was around.

I watched them a bit and it struck me how they moved the puck well into corners, or into positions where they could reduce the shift into puck battles. You need a C who can mange the puck to play that game.

Smolinski-Begin-TK had a good playoff largely due to Smolinski playing this style down the stretch. Knowing how to get it into a position where his wingers could be strong on the puck takes some experinece and instinct.

I think Carbo wants this from a 4th line. Smart,grinding hockey. He has 7-9 other fowards tro play razzle dazzle, these guys need to play difefrently.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Smolinski or his clone in that role. It depends on how they view what Chipchura can do.
Good point. When you have nothing but grinders, at the end of the day it doesn't result in anything. You have to have somebody on these lines that knows how to play hockey well. Not just work hard and hit.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post

If anything, Morrison was underrated because of the line he was on. He was the glue that kept that line together. Naslund and Bertuzzi would likely be a collective minus 50 if it wasn't for Morrison.

Good puck distributor and very good defensively.

I don't necessarily think he fits in Montreal because he isn't really what the habs need but he is still a very good player. The fit may not be good but your reasoning is suspect to say the least.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 09:40 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostopolous View Post
If anything, Morrison was underrated because of the line he was on. He was the glue that kept that line together. Naslund and Bertuzzi would likely be a collective minus 50 if it wasn't for Morrison.
Another thing is... what exactly have Naslund and Bertuzzi done since that line was broken up

Old
06-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Beakermania*

I know he's small but Mike York would be an option for me.

Also; Langkow and Conroy who i mentioned earlier have both resigned with Cgy and are off the market.

Id rank my B-E as follows

B) Rolston
c) Sakic (probably won't sign, but you have to offer him a deal; you never know)
D) Vyborny (reclamation project)
E) Federov
F) York
G) Morrison

Once I get past Federov though... I'm saying **** It... lets go with Chips/Grabo and see what happens.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote