HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Per Brooks Jagr gets $35mil offer from Omsk

Old
06-27-2008, 11:52 PM
Rodent

vCash: 500
I don't have a problem when someone takes issue with something specific that I write.

But the reason why this place keeps testing my patience is the uninformed mud-slinging by folks who never debate specifics. They simply cast baseless aspersions to make a point.

If you want to read the actual translations and see for yourself what Jagr said, go to the rant page now and learn the truth.

Otherwise shut up about me because you clearly no nothing about my take on hockey and my "agendae".

:8=

Rodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 12:52 AM
Rodent

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
I think it was more than inference, and just because there's no direct quote (even though there actually is, when JJ says "I don't know why Glen didn't call"), that doesn't mean it's only inference.

Anyway, even if it was, I trust Rodent enough to believe any inference is accurate.
There is a direct quote. Check back on the rant page because now I have a translation of the transcripts themselves. There were two. One on DNES web site was heavily edited and consolidated. The one on Denik Sport was more literal. However, the one on DNES (when compared to the Denik Sport version) still had the essence correct.

But there is definitely a specific quote by JJ about his disappointment that Glen didn't take the initiative sooner. JJ zings Slats twice.

As for the other 'inferences' from the afternoon rant...

Please understand that what I got from Prague was a report from someone who was watching the press conference live and who was doing his best to jot down notes as JJ spoke. If you've tried this yourself, you'd know it's very difficult to keep up with the pace of the press conference and you find yourself skipping questions to finish your jotting of one response. You're not ready in time for the immediate next one, so you just move on to what you can retain.

So if there is a bias which results from doing it this way, understand the bias is not intentional. It's the result of catching whatever you can when you're not fluent in shorthand.

My contact watched JJ's expressions on camera. My contact has personally interviewed JJ before. So he's aware of JJ's mannerisms and JJ's sarcastic wit and when JJ is playing or toying with the press. Sometimes you've got to read between the lines with Jagr. You cannot take everything he says literally when he's got that smug expression on his face. However, when he looks pained or when he's applying his hand to his face or hair, that is when you are getting the transparent JJ. Those are moments you don't get often and he's baring a piece of his personal thinking.

Then there are the translation effects. There are Czech idioms which do not translate literally into English. JJ speaks quite flippantly. He uses many idioms. When literally translated, they make no sense in English. Sometimes when I receive a preliminary translation and I map it to more fluent English there's an honest mistake in interpreting what the literal translation of the idiom was supposed to mean. Was JJ being sarcastic? Was he being jockular? Since I didn't personally see the interview, I must sometimes guess. This is because I'm in California, some 9 hours time difference and my translator has gone to sleep. So I'm left alone to figure out from the context of the remaining paragraph what JJ was trying to say.

So I'm never going to claim the translations are flawless. What I do object to is anyone who would dare claim that I have some kind of agenda and would deliberately color my recounting of an interview to achieve some specific personal objective.

That kind of mud-slinging is bush league.

I'm not paid like Brooks to sell papers. I don't have to "sensationalize" anything.

I do the best I can do given the resources at my disposal and the time available when I'm not doing my day job.

Folks who visit here always have a choice. If you consider my page entertaining, then read and be entertained or informed or whatever. If not, simply elect never to visit my web site. I don't begrudge anyone who feels my prose isn't worth the electrons they're written upon. I'm not everyone's cup 'o tea.

Just don't screw me over with baseless lies because (for whatever reason) you don't like me rodentally and so you've got to smear me on HF because it's the fashionable thing to do around here and somehow it makes you big or popular to tear me down with vagueness I cannot defend against instead of specifics that I can debate.

BTW - Jeff, these last paras were not directed towards you at all. I think you can understand what/who made me livid in this thread by spreading lies about me.

Old
06-28-2008, 12:59 AM
Rodent

I am in hysterics!

Apparently, the Google advertising at the bottom of this page is context-sensitive. I.e., it's somehow "aware" of the words on this page.

There are four adverts within the Google rectangle that I'm now seeing. Two of the four are links for Jaromir Jagr memorabilia.

The other two are for PEST CONTROL. Each asks for you to click the link if you have a "rodent problem".

God. I'm getting it from all sides today!

Old
06-28-2008, 06:08 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
It is becoming increasingly likely that Jaromir Jagr has played his last game as a Ranger, if not in the NHL.

For while No. 68's agent, Pat Brisson, told The Post yesterday that Jagr would prefer to sign a new contract with the Rangers in lieu of reaching unrestricted free agency on Tuesday, he made it clear the winger is seeking a multi-year deal GM Glen Sather doesn't seem willing to offer.
Quote:
Sather has repeatedly said that he wants to re-sign the captain. He told The Post on Thursday that remains his position. Still, it is believed the Rangers are unwilling to offer Jagr, who will turn 37 in February, anything other than a one-year deal that would allow them to include bonuses that could be deferred to 2009-10.

"I don't want to negotiate in the papers or speak for Jaromir, but I don't think that's something that would interest him at this point," Brisson said.
Quote:
"I think there will be a number of NHL teams that would be willing to give him a multi-year deal - he was the best player in the league in the first two rounds of the playoffs - but if he doesn't get a contract that he likes, he would probably focus on the offer he has to play in Russia and finish his career in Europe."
http://www.nypost.com/seven/06282008...urn_117544.htm

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 06:38 AM
Entrancemperium

Bye Jags! Hello Hossa!

Entrancemperium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 07:28 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

The Rangers CAN'T commit to Jagr for more than one year; he HAS to see that. If he wants the Rangers to have a chance to go deep in the playoffs, then he has to take a one-year deal, with makable bonuses, that allows the Rangers other options cap-wise. If he can't see that, then Sather has no choice but to go a different route. I'd love to have him back for another year, but, he cannot handcuff the Rangers salary-wise.

And, if that's the case, then I see no point in going after Sundin; Sundin works if here's here to center Jagr. No Jagr...no need for Sundin. Just gave Rolston and Malone the annual amount that Jagr and Sundin would be getting, and you now have possible complements to Gomez and Drury, and not have to worry about rolling bonuses into next year's cap.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 08:02 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
The Rangers CAN'T commit to Jagr for more than one year; he HAS to see that. If he wants the Rangers to have a chance to go deep in the playoffs, then he has to take a one-year deal, with makable bonuses, that allows the Rangers other options cap-wise. If he can't see that, then Sather has no choice but to go a different route. I'd love to have him back for another year, but, he cannot handcuff the Rangers salary-wise.

And, if that's the case, then I see no point in going after Sundin; Sundin works if here's here to center Jagr. No Jagr...no need for Sundin. Just gave Rolston and Malone the annual amount that Jagr and Sundin would be getting, and you now have possible complements to Gomez and Drury, and not have to worry about rolling bonuses into next year's cap.

mediocrity breeds more mediocrity, as far as I'm concerned.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 08:05 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent View Post

BTW - Jeff, these last paras were not directed towards you at all. I think you can understand what/who made me livid in this thread by spreading lies about me.
Nah, I know that stuff wasn't directed at me. Try not to let it bother you, man. There's a lot of people like that on here, many of whom do the "holier than thou" thing, for whatever reason.

What's your feeling on JJ? I'm getting the impression he won't be back, and could end up back in Pittsburgh or somewhere like Montreal.

What do you think will happen?

Old
06-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent View Post
I am in hysterics!

Apparently, the Google advertising at the bottom of this page is context-sensitive. I.e., it's somehow "aware" of the words on this page.

There are four adverts within the Google rectangle that I'm now seeing. Two of the four are links for Jaromir Jagr memorabilia.

The other two are for PEST CONTROL. Each asks for you to click the link if you have a "rodent problem".

God. I'm getting it from all sides today!

That's really, really funny.

Old
06-29-2008, 05:17 PM
RusskiyHockey

This whole story about the Omsk offer is a fairy tale!!! This is what Omsk GM Anatoli Bardin said about Brooks' article (translated):

... we can bravely sue this publication! Is it even a serious newspaper? If yes, then why does it write blatant BS? $35 million - it's a madhouse, not an offer! Or is Omsk a land of billionaires? Yes, we are making an offer to Jagr. But that sum doesn't even come close to the reality! We are all adult people. Just think about it - almost $12 million a season. Do you not find it funny? And Jagr in Omsk - what is it, the dream of my life? Jaromir is a good player, but if he comes over to us, we're not going to kill ourselves.

Тогда на это издание можно смело подавать в суд! Это вообще серьезная газета? Если да, то почему пишет откровенный бред? $35 млн. это же сумасшедший дом, а не предложение! Или Омск это край миллиардеров? Да, мы делаем предложение Ягру. Но сумма даже близко не соответствует действительности! Мы же все взрослые люди. Только вдумайтесь почти $12 млн. за сезон. Вам самим не смешно? Да и вообще Ягр в Авангарде это, что, мечта нашей жизни? Яромир хороший игрок, но если он к нам не перейдет, убиваться не станем.

RusskiyHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Fletch

Just out of curiosity...

what is the owner of Omsk saying about the situation?

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote