HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If gainey absolutelly wants a center, what are options B through E on UFA list?

Old
06-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Nitehowl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Hmm... you say Morrison is super overrated yet you think we should get 50 point Marleau and his 6 million dollar contract? I suggested Morrison because he would be cheap and he'd be on a third line, not a first or second line in Vancouver where he was relied upon for offense. 45-50 points and solid defence is what we would get from him and he'd come cheap... he's not who I want but he's a lot better than many of the UFA centers available.

If we do trade for someone the best options would be Jason Arnott or Jaret Stoll. Arnott would probably cost a lot to get but he has a decent salary and he's got good size, something we lack down the middle. Jaret Stoll is a buy low option coming off a bad season, the guy is money in the faceoff circle and he has a rocket which would take over for Streit on the PP. If we can't get Sundin i'd love Stoll as he was also a teammate of many of our young guys like Higgins and Plex in Hamilton.
I see STOLL as the best option after SUNDIN for a center He is a right handed center who is good on faceoffs, can play the point on the PP and can be the right hand shot on the 5 on 3's PP. He is also a good PK and his value is low right now.HOLIK is tooo old and the others just don't fit in. Stoll would be a good 3rd line center. And I think if Gainey feels he won't get Sundin, then he may move quick for Hossa on July 1.

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I know he's small but Mike York would be an option for me.

Also; Langkow and Conroy who i mentioned earlier have both resigned with Cgy and are off the market.

Id rank my B-E as follows

B) Rolston
c) Sakic (probably won't sign, but you have to offer him a deal; you never know)
D) Vyborny (reclamation project)
E) Federov
F) York
G) Morrison

Once I get past Federov though... I'm saying **** It... lets go with Chips/Grabo and see what happens.
Vyborny signed with Sparta Praha of the Czech league... the guy had some pretty impressive skills it's too bad he struggled so much last year but I guess he wasn't Ken Hitchcock's type of player.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 10:00 PM
Alfie Turcotte

I dont like any of these options.

Sundin or a trade...

Alfie Turcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 10:09 PM
chairmanmeow

holik is so ****ing bad if he comes to montreal bob gainey will be in trouble
he's a fatass plug, so overrated

jarret stoll gives some work ethic and defensive play that would far outshire bobby struggling to skate with montreals forwards

chairmanmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 10:12 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKtUrN View Post
If we don't get to sign Sundin and Bob said he is looking for a center, what do you think are the next options for Bob?

I know we could always trade but only with UFA centers, what would be the next 4 options you would go for in order?

I would have to go with

PlanB: Peter Forsberg (Less expensive than Sundin, even if he misses part of the season, we have enough depth)
PlanC: Bobby Holik (Good Shutdown guy that will provide some extra weight on the team)
PlanD: Sergei Fedorov (Getting old but might be a good fit with Kovy and Kostitsyns)
PlanE: Glen Metropolit (Seems to be a guy that's really tough to play against, not expensive and always liked the way the guy plays)
I think Plan B, C and D would be to move Higgins to center...the more I think of it the more sense it makes. I think if you tell him before the season he has a month to get used to it and by December it's second nature, I think if you give him a guy like S.Kost who carries the puck well(sort of plays the playmaking cednter role while Higgins is strong defensively) and Lats who is very strong down low and from 20 feet in, you should have a very good 2nd line calibre combo and would cause great matchups after the Koivu and Plekanec lines.

I'm not a big fan of Fedorov Holik or Forsberg, they are worn out, washed up or too slow for the Habs style.

The UFA market is A LOT deeper on the wing with Jagr Hossa Rolston Demitra Straka etc.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

If Sundin doesn't come here we should NOT try getting a new center unless it's a top guy like Marleau. Do not forget that the point in gettin Sundin was to finaly have a top guy in that position. And that maybe(a big maybe) it would pave the way for Saku to go on the third line. So if we cannot get somebody better than Saku Koivu there's no point in moving.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I'd say Montreal didn't have sufficient offense to put the team over the top to win.

And the team didn't have sufficient defense to shut down a rather unimpressive, albeit deep, group of Philly forwards.

And the team didn't have the goaltending that made the game-changing stops.

I don't think grit enters the equation. Montreal's not a gritty team. It won't be a gritty team if Holik is signed. And signing Holik because he's a better option than Smolinski isn't a justifiable reason to throw money at Holik--especially given that Chipchura can and ought to be taking Smolinski's spot anyhow.
The Philly offense was pretty neutralised they averaged like 25 shots a game, it's the goalies that crapped the bed.

The offense needed to score a few more garbage goals also, I think Lats can give you a ton of those 5 on 5 and especially on the PP.

Old
06-27-2008, 10:32 PM
EagleBelfour

Mats Sundin
Joe Sakic
Brian Rolston

... No option at center that make sense afterwards.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 10:54 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
I see STOLL as the best option after SUNDIN for a center He is a right handed center who is good on faceoffs, can play the point on the PP and can be the right hand shot on the 5 on 3's PP. He is also a good PK and his value is low right now.HOLIK is tooo old and the others just don't fit in. Stoll would be a good 3rd line center. And I think if Gainey feels he won't get Sundin, then he may move quick for Hossa on July 1.
I also see Stoll as a very good 3rd line center for us who would bring size, good 2-way play and toughness, as for the Marleau 50 point seasion thing, evreyone has off years and it's completely rediculous to think that Marleau won't come back to his old stats, Cheechoo, Carle, and Ernhoff are amongts the Sharks players who also had terrible years, wihtout Nabokov this year that team was going nowhere

and Morrison still suck and will suck even more because imo he's on the decline and doesn't bring 1 specific need to the team, he brings nothing to the table

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:14 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I also see Stoll as a very good 3rd line center for us who would bring size, good 2-way play and toughness, as for the Marleau 50 point seasion thing, evreyone has off years and it's completely rediculous to think that Marleau won't come back to his old stats, Cheechoo, Carle, and Ernhoff are amongts the Sharks players who also had terrible years, wihtout Nabokov this year that team was going nowhere

and Morrison still suck and will suck even more because imo he's on the decline and doesn't bring 1 specific need to the team, he brings nothing to the table
To his old stats? Yeah his old stats are 50-55 points a year. He had 2 good seasons point wise as soon as Thornton arrived with half them coming on the PP (mainly because of Thornton). I wouldn't mind Marleau as a 3rd line center but he's getting paid 1st liner money and IMO he is not a first line center.

Old
06-27-2008, 11:57 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKtUrN View Post
If we don't get to sign Sundin and Bob said he is looking for a center, what do you think are the next options for Bob?

I know we could always trade but only with UFA centers, what would be the next 4 options you would go for in order?

I would have to go with

PlanB: Peter Forsberg (Less expensive than Sundin, even if he misses part of the season, we have enough depth)
PlanC: Bobby Holik (Good Shutdown guy that will provide some extra weight on the team)
PlanD: Sergei Fedorov (Getting old but might be a good fit with Kovy and Kostitsyns)
PlanE: Glen Metropolit (Seems to be a guy that's really tough to play against, not expensive and always liked the way the guy plays)
If Bob can't land Sundin watch him bite the bullet and trade for Marleau.

Forsberg is going to retire. The rest are 3rd lin centres and on the decline.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 12:16 AM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
If Sundin doesn't come here we should NOT try getting a new center unless it's a top guy like Marleau. Do not forget that the point in gettin Sundin was to finaly have a top guy in that position. And that maybe(a big maybe) it would pave the way for Saku to go on the third line. So if we cannot get somebody better than Saku Koivu there's no point in moving.
I would agree with this.. the alternative are not that great in the uFA market currently. Sundin is the ideal choice but after that I am not sure we can get much better then Chipchura as a third line Center. Yes Stoll would be nice but how much better the Chip is he..?

If we can't get One of Sundin/Hossa/Jagr/Redden/Campbell then I think we are better whithout any new UFA and keep Striet...

My 2 cents...

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 12:59 AM
peperebougon*

I'd be happy if we got Holik... He is a big, physical shutdown center with some offensive talents. Sounds good to me. He would have been helpful in the playoffs...I was hoping we land him at the deadline...

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 09:04 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
To his old stats? Yeah his old stats are 50-55 points a year. He had 2 good seasons point wise as soon as Thornton arrived with half them coming on the PP (mainly because of Thornton). I wouldn't mind Marleau as a 3rd line center but he's getting paid 1st liner money and IMO he is not a first line center.
Marleau has never played with as good wingers like he would here in Montreal, that for one makes a huge difference, his role would also change since he would he would be THE big offensive center here

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 09:23 AM
OneSharpMarble

We need a winger who can finish, we have enough playmakers. A 1st line winger who can finish with Koivu is what weve needed for the past 8 years or so.

Kovalev played well last season but disappeared once again in the playoff when he was needed.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 09:45 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
We need a winger who can finish, we have enough playmakers. A 1st line winger who can finish with Koivu is what weve needed for the past 8 years or so.

Kovalev played well last season but disappeared once again in the playoff when he was needed.
we have tons of wingers. The gaping hole is down the middle.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 09:51 AM
redmachine54

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
we have tons of wingers. The gaping hole is down the middle.
Exactly. Tanguay, Kovalev, the Kostitsyns, Higgins, and Latendresse... of those, I'd imagine two would be considered playmakers (Sergei Kostitsyn and Tanguay). Of the two top centers, Koivu's a playmaker, while Plekanec can score. I'd say, bring in another big scoring center, and you've got yourself a true contender. One could even split the playmakers up along three lines if it's really undesirable.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Marleau has never played with as good wingers like he would here in Montreal, that for one makes a huge difference, his role would also change since he would he would be THE big offensive center here
Look who Sundin has played with in his career, star players make the players around them better. Watching the guy he takes too many nights off and he doesn't use his size enough, considering he's the team's captain he probably wouldn't come cheap either.

Old
06-28-2008, 10:17 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
It's not like he was playing with bad wingers either.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 10:19 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post

We have 3 wingers that can score 30, unfortunately, none are playing with Koivu. Higgins scored what, 27 and he is not a pure finisher...Koivu needs Lats or A.kost on his wing.

Kovalev was there in the playoffs just the same, they just gave him more attention and schemed to take him away, he's always been a playoff performer, both here and with NYR. Plekanec and Price are the 2 guys that disapeared.

Old
06-28-2008, 10:42 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Plan A Sundin
Plan B Rolston
Plan C Demitra
Plan D Morrison
Plan E Holik
Plan F Fedorov

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Sundin
Marleau
Yashin
Rolston

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 10:46 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
We have 3 wingers that can score 30, unfortunately, none are playing with Koivu. Higgins scored what, 27 and he is not a pure finisher...Koivu needs Lats or A.kost on his wing.

Kovalev was there in the playoffs just the same, they just gave him more attention and schemed to take him away, he's always been a playoff performer, both here and with NYR. Plekanec and Price are the 2 guys that disapeared.
I'd rather say Price, Higgins, Komisarek, Markov and Streit... but I get your point and I agree. Kovalev has been his own self, but he had to trail "the giraffe" on his back for 7 games, while some other player *cough* Higgins *cough*, *cough* Streit *cough* were not checked as much and didn't produce like they should have.

Say what you want about me bashing Higgins once again, but 5 points in 12 playoffs games playing 18 minutes a game is just brutal.

As for Plekanec, he did play good in the Flyers series. He just wasn't there against the Bruins but you could see he was getting used to playoffs hockey in the second round.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Prospector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
I wouldn't mind Stoll for all the reasons stated above.
The more I think of it, the more I think he could be very useful: Right-handed, can play the point on PP, can play center and good on faceoffs...

My only interrogation mark is that Streit was a left-handed shooter, so Markov was playing on the left side on the PP... If Stoll plays the point Markov will have to switch side, and i'm not sure if he'll be comfortable. Also, I really like Markov on the left side, because of his cross-ice pass inside the box to Kovalev on the right-side!

Last edited by Prospector: 06-28-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 10:49 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Plan A Sundin
Plan B Rolston
Plan C Demitra
Plan D Morrison
Plan E Holik