HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009 Lines W/ new 56.7 cap hit

Old
06-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
You're out of your mind if you think both Jagr and Sundin will accept 1 year bonus incentive deals at a base of 4.5 million. Jagr made over 9 million last season.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Forever Blue

Malone (5)-Sundin(5 + bonus)-Rolston (4) = 14
Drury (7)-Gomez (7.3)-Callahan (.585) = 14.9
Dawes (.75)-Dubinsky (.633)-Sjostrom (.75) = 2.15
Korpikoski (1)-Betts (.615)-Byers (.6) = 2.2

Staal (.827)-Liles (4) = 4.827
Tyutin (2.84)-Girardi (1.55) = 4.39
Potter (.542)-Orpik (4) = 4.542

Lundqvist (6.875)
Valiquette (1)

= 54.884

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Save By Richter View Post

Lundqvist (6.875)
Valiquette (1)

= 54.884
You need at least one other d-man and one other forward. I don't see Renney being comfortable carrying only 20 players.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 11:21 AM
NYR1724

God I want July 1st to come. I am sick of seeing hypothetical lines. I really, really want to know what the Blueshirts are going to do.

NYR1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Forever Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
You need at least one other d-man and one other forward. I don't see Renney being comfortable carrying only 20 players.
I just did the starting lineup. You could have three reserves and still fit under the cap.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 01:35 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

These are all totally absurd. Guys, get back to reality here. The scary part is you actually want this.

This is a horrible UFA group this summer. Virtually all of the top UFAs are sorely overrated and are bound to be way, way overpaid. The Rangers already significantly hampered themselves by overpaying Gomez and Drury (you know it's true), so why would you want them to do the same.

The Rangers should sign some older veterans or cheaper guys to 2-3 year deals and wait for the real UFAs, in 2010, like Kovalchuk. Give me Sundin and Jagr, or a guy like Ryder for a 2 or 3 year deal so that they all come off the books by the time the real big names are available.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Ash

I agree that we shouldn't

go overpaying significantly for guys.

I disagree about waiting for Kovalchuk or players of that caliber. Those types of cats don't make it to UFA.

Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Jarmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
These are all totally absurd. Guys, get back to reality here. The scary part is you actually want this.

This is a horrible UFA group this summer. Virtually all of the top UFAs are sorely overrated and are bound to be way, way overpaid. The Rangers already significantly hampered themselves by overpaying Gomez and Drury (you know it's true), so why would you want them to do the same.

The Rangers should sign some older veterans or cheaper guys to 2-3 year deals and wait for the real UFAs, in 2010, like Kovalchuk. Give me Sundin and Jagr, or a guy like Ryder for a 2 or 3 year deal so that they all come off the books by the time the real big names are available.

But will the big names ever become available? This year was supposed to be a great UFA class too, with Thornton, Marleau, Boyle, and others, but most of the star players sign long term deals with their teams, leaving a mediocre pool.

Jarmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save By Richter View Post

Lundqvist (6.875)
Valiquette (1)

= 54.884

That actually looks pretty good

I don't mind Liles and Orpik on D..........gives one tough and one puck moving D man for the PP..........I think you have to add Backman as the 7th D man to ur list.........he's a Swede and going no where folks

Upfront I think Dawes plays on the second line BUT I like the Sundin, Rolston ,Malone picks with Jags gone

I also think on the forward lines you have to add Moore and Orr

AND Prucha is still around

They are not going to trade Prucha and/or Backman for a bag of pucks so they will get an asset back even if they are not part of ur equation

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 01:46 PM
pmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2008 View Post
I just lost a very convincing post to the reload button....Darn

ok simplified version

GET 1 puckrushing Defender

ii- Get Sundin + JAgr signed to 1 yr 4.5 + 4.4 bonus laden deals

iii-- Get a pair of cup winning or at least Conf Finals winning Dmen

iv---Roll 4 lines and prepare in practice 4 Dmen Duo's

Here's my take

Prucha---------Dubinsky----------Jagr*cap min 6.8 mill_+4.4 mill bon

Drury---------Sundin-----------Sjostrom 12.5+ 4.3 bonus

Dawes--------Gomez----------Cooke/Tucker/J.Ruutu@1.5*9.8 cap hit*

Korpikoski------Betts----------Callahan*2.5 cap hit*

Isbister-------G.Moore-------Orr *reserves cap hit of 1.85m$*

Trade Hollwegg to Western Conf...let him Surf....

Staal-------A.Foote/Redden/B.Stuart/M.Roz 5-6 mill total cap hit

Tyutin-----girardi(4.3 cap hit)

Backman--Commodore/M.Sauer/Lilja/prospect *3.3-5 mill)

Reserves---Pock+ Strudwick*(1.25 mill cap hit)

Lundqvist+Wiika+Steve 7.7 cap hit

that's 55 mill w/ just enough breathing room for a trade/ demotion in the D. Gaulthier Philadelphia Phantoms style--- A 2 million dollar 1st round pick Hitting Defender playing in the lower tier that allows for the parent club to challenge for the Eastern Conf Championship in the playoffs....Somehow that wouldn't fly so well in some cities but Creative GM's think in terms of doing whatever it takes to make it work

If everybody is healthy then they can fit

a vet trade at the deadline for say a 4.5 mill salary vet at the end
This team looks horrible. Prucha looks lost on the wing and should a.) be playing center or b.) should be dealt to a team who needs a center for somebody who can play the wing.

Sjostrom has no right to play the second line, and should switch with Korpedo, who hopefully isn't a flash in the pan. I'm just a little weary about putting Korpikoski there cause he has 1 NHL game under his belt, but we'll see how it goes.

I would hurl if we let Avery walk and brought in Ruutu to replace him. Tucker, too. And I like Cookie, but don't know how he would do at the wing.

Isbister sucks; IMO, he's a so-so AHL player.

Who cares where you trade Hollweg to, as long as we get a quality puck bag in return, I'd be happy.

Your defense also might be the most overrated defense you can possibly put together. Backman sucks and should be shipped away to a team with some cap room for another puck bag. Strudwick sucks and shouldn't be resigned. Commodore would be an ok pickup, but I'd rather we go after Orpik. Sauer isn't ready, and the the group of possible defensemen playing along with Staal is terrible. Redden is the most overrated player in all of hockey. The collapse that Ottawa had at the end of the year is not solely Redden's fault, but Redden played a major part in it. His whining is something I don't want in the locker room at all.

And the maximum number of people on the team you can have at a time is 23 (21 and 2 goalies). This team is over it.

pmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 01:48 PM
Ola

Sign Jagr and Sundin to 2 year 6.5m per deals. Resign Avery at 3.5m per. Sign Redden to a 6.5m deal.

Lines
Dawes-Sundin-Jagr
Drury-Gomez-Prucha
Avery-Dubinsky-Callahan
Jämtin-Betts-Orr
Staal-Redden
Toots-Sanguetti
Bäckman-Girardi
Lundqvist
Valley

PP Units
Drury-Gomez-Jagr-Sangs-Sundin
Prucha-Dubinsky-Avery-Staal-Redden

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 01:56 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmac View Post
But will the big names ever become available? This year was supposed to be a great UFA class too, with Thornton, Marleau, Boyle, and others, but most of the star players sign long term deals with their teams, leaving a mediocre pool.
It's all about Kovalchuk, man. I keep posting it in every thread because I don't think it's a pipe dream, and it makes a lot of sense.

Why would he stay in Atlanta, especially if a team like the Rangers would give him big money? Atlanta is a horrible team, they can't provide him with a center (like Gomez), they have no depth, and there already have been rumblings of him complaining. Don Waddell hasn't done a particularly good job running that team, in my opinion.

By 2010, the Rangers will have a great foundation of young players in Cherepanov, Anisimov, Dubinsky, Sanguinetti, Sauer, Dawes, Callahan, some of them with some decent NHL experience, along with veteran leaders in Gomez and Drury and a fantastic goalie.
And I have no doubt that like practically any Russian, Kovalchuk would love to play for the Rangers, Devils or Islanders. They always do.

Old
06-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Ash

Then they deal Kovalchuk

for a big-time haul to a squad that gives him a HUGE deal.

He will most likely not reach the open market.

Old
06-28-2008, 02:03 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
for a big-time haul to a squad that gives him a HUGE deal.

He will most likely not reach the open market.
Quite possible. If that was the case though, I'd be the team that makes that deal, if I was the Rangers. You get him at the deadline when his contract is about to expire and then you throw money at him.

The only way to acquire a franchise player, a real franchise player, is to get one this way or to draft one. I don't seem them rebuilding again and trying to get the #1 pick, so this seems like the only way.

Old
06-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Ash

Not necessarily.

I don't think we'll ever be bad enough with Henke back there to be a team that gets a top 5 pick. Nor do I think we'll have the assets or the willingness to give up a huge package for a Kovalchuk.

I think you're going to see a team whose offensive future is heavily dependent on Cherry becoming an 80 point forward/35+ goal scorer. It's a risky way to build your offense, but that's where we're at.

Old
06-28-2008, 02:41 PM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
While I too would prefer Kovalchuk to be my franchise forward, his availability is at the minimum two years away, and far from a sure thing. The other speculated winger we could pickup next year, Gaborik, is someone I would honestly not prefer over Hossa, and beyond these two and Rick Nash in two years, there isn't a plethora of first line wings available. If Hossa can be had for 8.5million a year for 5 or 6 years, and Jagr isn't coming back, I think you need to really consider biting.

I'm really not excited by either Redden or Campbell long term, and don't think it's worth it locking in a Liles or Hainsey long term to help our PP. I'd be more inclined to grab Rolston for a year or two, and give him the point on the PP.

Realistically I see our holes as being two top 6 wingers, two defensemen and a backup goalie.

Foward depth looks something like:

F2 - Gomez - F1
Dawes - Drury - Prucha
Sjostrom - Dubinsky - Callahan
Hollweg - Betts - Orr
Korpikoski

Defensive depth looks something like:
Staal - D1
Tyutin - Girardi
Backman - D2
Potter or Strudwick

Goaltending:
Lundqvist
G2

People lament Hollweg, and I too am not a fan, but only chance of seeing him go is if Byers replaces him in my opinion. After Dolan lamenting Sather about not dressing Orr two seasons ago, I think Orr is a mainstay on the Fourth line, which I can accept. Backup goalie isn't a huge concern in my opinion, I happily bring back Vally at a token raise, or find a similarly priced backup (700k-ish). Defensively I would just as happily send Backman to the minors and bring up Pock, as I don't see his worth being almost 4x the salary hit, but I think Backman at least gets a chance in camp.

Total cap charge with the holes above: 36.266 + 1.541 overage leaves us with 18.893 million to spend to fill the holes.

F1 - Hossa - 8.5million per for 5-6 years
F2 - Rolston - 4.25 million per for 2 years
D1 - Orpik - 4.5 million per for 4-5 years
D2 - Pock - .667, 1 year left on contract
G2 - Valiquette or equivalent - .7

Total cost of 18.617, leaving us just under 300k under the cap, or 2+ million under the cap if Backman is sent down.

Lineup
Rolston - Gomez - Hossa
Dawes - Drury - Korpikoski
Sjostrom - Dubinsky - Callahan
Hollweg - Betts - Orr
Prucha

Staal - Orpik
Tyutin - Girardi
Backman - Potter
Pock

Lundqvist
Valiquette

PP Lineup of:
Drury - Gomez - Hossa
Rolston - Staal (may be expecting too much of Staal on the top PP unit, but I give him the chance to run with it).

Dawes - Dubinsky - Callahan
Girardi - Backman/Pock

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 04:00 PM
HenriksBetter

This should be a lineup that will be under the cap.

Avery(SIGN HIM SATHER!)-Gomez-Malone/Hossa
Dawes-Drury-Callahan
Korpikoski/Prucha-Dubi-Sjostrom
Gratton-Betts-Orr

Staal-Orpik/Stuart
Tyutin-Girardi
Streit-Backman

Lundqvist
Valiquette

HenriksBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Ace2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim399 View Post
The more and more I think about it... I believe Sather is going to infact make a one year run at the cup and sign Sundin and Jagr to 1 year 5mill dollar deals with a couple of mill worth of very reachable incentives. Then I think Sather takes a run at Redden as our #1 dman to play with staal. And we will do our usual adding a few kids into the mix.

Sundin- 1 year 5mill, 2mill of incentives
Jagr- 1 year 5mill, 2mill of incentives
Redden- 4 years, 22 mill

Anisimov-Sundin-Jagr
Korpikoski-Gomez-Drury
Dawes-Dubinsky-Callahan
Sjostrom-Betts-Byers/Jessimen

Staal-Redden
Tyutin-Girardi
Potter-Backman

Lundqvist
Valliquete

Salaries come out to a little under 53 mill.

Add in Orr and Strudwick as your extras and Shanny's bonus money we are right around the cap number.

I love the idea of giving Anisimov and Korpikoski a great opportunity... Look how much it helped players like Amonte and Kovalev playing with Messier.

The 1st line would be a beast, the speed of the 2nd line will be unreal- plus i think Drury could be the sniper Gomez needs... he loves one timing the puck and gomez is the perfect set up man for him. 3rd and 4th lines are very defensively responsible and can put the puck in the net.

I wish we could add in Avery and Orpik but the money just doesn't work. This is in fact a short 1 year run at the cup... I think it is a lot better idea then dipping into the free agent market and getting stuck with 5-6-7 year deals. Makes us a true cup contender and we will have the open cap space for the next few years to take a run at true superstar in Kovalchuk, Gaborik, Staal, Nash if they become available.
Safe to Say that Orpik, Malone, and b.Campbell aren't coming to NYR via UFA route....too much Ca$# per year

.---as for the 1yr Run at the cup...it worked for a good but not scary looking 2001 Avalanche...it could work again...

most of the serious hockey writers are looking at Detroit, SJ, Pitts, Dallas, etc... as the favs to challenge for next year...I'm thinking aim at the presidents trophy...or not but stay healthy and get Redden/Foote/Roz. for x2yrs max

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Ace2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post

although you're right about the ufa quality being poor...

A--I only sign 1 utility grinder Cooke,Ruutu,or Tucker league avg 1.5

b-Sundin is still a #1 Center in every Sense of the word and Power Centers that win Faceoffs w/ his size and skill are quite rare about 1 in every 3-4 drafts

C- I only looked to add 1 top pair Dman if Roz isn't resigned and the deal would be a maximum of 2 years...let the young defenders be the core once Staal's contract needs to be renegotiated.

D- The overpaying of UFa's is relative to how much other teams have in cap cash---last season lots of NYr rivals had plenty of cap cash and so the NYR actually helped themselves by getting 2 Calder winning and multi Stanley Cup appearing/Winning top 20 Centers

the Duo of Drury and Gomez aren't just #1 guys in the Faceoff Circle they're better then over 50% of the #1 pivots in the league

THAT'S CALLED competitive advantage....realize that size being less of an issue and both Drury and Gomez's speed being a solid asset makes the overpaying of roughly a 2 million dollars/ per year over the next 5 about the same as a team buying out an older vet over the long term

its' happened since the cap to about 11 teams

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 10:19 PM
pmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2008 View Post
b-Sundin is still a #1 Center in every Sense of the word and Power Centers that win Faceoffs w/ his size and skill are quite rare about 1 in every 3-4 drafts

D- The overpaying of UFa's is relative to how much other teams have in cap cash---last season lots of NYr rivals had plenty of cap cash and so the NYR actually helped themselves by getting 2 Calder winning and multi Stanley Cup appearing/Winning top 20 Centers
Sundin is still a #1 center, true, but IMHO, we have 3 centers (Drury, Gomez, Dubinsky) who can be #1 on a team. Why in the hell would we need a 4th?

And speaking of how we overpayed drury and gomez last year, does anyone else know what those two were offered by other teams? Sure we signed them on July 1st, but the Devils and the Sabres had to make them some kind of offer.

And bro, we're just saying this is rediculous cause it shows that you know very little about how a hockey team is run, and you show even less knowledge when it comes to what the Rangers actually need. Sure it might be a long shot if we unload Backman, but bringing Strudwick back? The only reason why backman would come back is because he still has another year on his contract. Why would we ever invite back a past-his-prime defenseman who was so-so in his best years? And Isbister did absolutely nothing when he was here. So why bring him back, too? It's like the Yankees resigning Kei Igawa once his contract is up.

Old
06-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorris View Post
Sundin is still a #1 center, true, but IMHO, we have 3 centers (Drury, Gomez, Dubinsky) who can be #1 on a team. Why in the hell would we need a 4th?

And speaking of how we overpayed drury and gomez last year, does anyone else know what those two were offered by other teams? Sure we signed them on July 1st, but the Devils and the Sabres had to make them some kind of offer.

And bro, we're just saying this is rediculous cause it shows that you know very little about how a hockey team is run, and you show even less knowledge when it comes to what the Rangers actually need. Sure it might be a long shot if we unload Backman, but bringing Strudwick back? The only reason why backman would come back is because he still has another year on his contract. Why would we ever invite back a past-his-prime defenseman who was so-so in his best years? And Isbister did absolutely nothing when he was here. So why bring him back, too? It's like the Yankees resigning Kei Igawa once his contract is up.
No such thing will happen

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 10:34 PM
pmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
No such thing will happen
Backman to the Capitals for Ovechkin. We'll throw in Jessiman, too. I have some really good ***** to give George McPhee to make him give Ovie up. Really good *****.

Just make him an offer he can't refuse.