HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Official Free Agent Frenzy Thread (Deals from other teams)

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2008, 02:37 PM
Hab-a-maniac

vCash: 500
Whatever. My guess is Sundin waits to see what kind of offers he gets on July 1. If he doesn't get a knockout one like ours, he's a Hab. But we shall see. As for Tampa, Malone will help but he became extremely overrated after the Pens playoff run. Not worth more than 3.5 mil but he'll likely get more than that anyway.

As for Roberts, he's clearly a fan of Florida as he was already a Panther before. This guy just won't retire, eh? I don't see him as much of a signing other than for leadership but usually only a championship contender does that. Koules, Melrose n' Co. clearly think they're playoff calibre. In the Southeast, anything can happen but Tampa still doesn't impress me and the Caps and Canes still have a leg up on them. Though thanks to Stamkos, Malone being added I think Tampa won't finish last in the division or conference. That honour goes to the Thrashers.

Remember now, finishing last does not guarantee the Tavares spot in the draft. If the Laffs don't even wind up in the bottom 5 good luck to them trading up for that spot. Tampa is not playing to draft #1 again obviously. Boy, I'll feel for Tavares if he has to go to Atlanta or the Isles or Panthers- franchises not quite on the rise and not too appealing to play for either. Los Angeles would be a preferable destination considering their rise.

Old
06-28-2008, 02:38 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not that for me though because Gainey acquired his rights doesn't mean that Sundin want to go there.

People are being frustrated 'cause they're beginning to realize that another one will look another way.....I don't think that they're offended 'cause he's not doing something right away but mostly 'cause we won't be doing it at all....or that's my belief.

Wondering if it would not have been possible for Gainey, before making that "deal" to just wonder via Fletcher if Sundin is actually considering retirement at this point. If so, don't you think that a big decision like that wouldn't take 1 week and it doesn't matter who has the exclusivity? Seems that Gainey speaks to him every day and every day we keep hearing that Sundin says his mind isn't made up....What's the point in talking to him then? Is he suddenly going to wake up June 31st and because it's crunch time he'll take a decision like that?.....if or course the whole "retirement" thing is true....which I don't believe but again it's just an opinion.

Sundin might hate the Leafs but I don't believe he'll sign with us after July 1st.....unless the deal stands even if he signs before. Maybe the deal is not if the signing is before July 1st....it could be the exclusive rights before July 1st and if you sign him, the deal stands no matter when you sign him.

Anyway, just have the feeling that he's thinking of retirement only because TO and Montreal are in the picture right now....I'm that pessimistic about that "deal". As soon as the Rangers starts dancing, Sundin will start realizing.......
Going to NYR might be his plan. But it's not a reason to be pissed off. You see these posts and threads pop up calling Sundin names just because it appears we aren't the center of the universe.

Old
06-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Going to NYR might be his plan. But it's not a reason to be pissed off. You see these posts and threads pop up calling Sundin names just because it appears we aren't the center of the universe.
You know that it's not Sundin. I understand calling names a player because he has the possibility to decide where he could go is pretty dumb.

Still after all those guys that we keep hearing and never come here....it has to be frustrated. So it's mainly about the situation and not about the players itself.........

Old
06-28-2008, 02:55 PM
PolishHab21

with malone and roberts in tampa with stamkos and the rest of them + montreal with sundin(maybe) and tanguay= MTL Vs. TB in stanley cup finals

Old
06-28-2008, 02:56 PM
plafleur10

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
The difference according to what Gainey said is if he doesnt sign sundin he pays nothing. So my guess would be if he signs him he pays a little bit more.

Makes very good sense

Old
06-28-2008, 03:02 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
- Tampa Bay was the worst NHL team last year and Prospal and Richards were there...
- Stamkos replaces Richards (downgrade, in my opinion, for the next year at least...)
- Halpern is injured until december...

Why not bad??? Because they added Malone and Jokinen? WOW!!!

No goalie and no defense... You can't go anywhere with this...
I'd also consider Melrose instead of Tortorella as a downgrade as well.

Old
06-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Stephen Locke*

There's a possibility that Ryder signs with the Pens now that Malone is gone.He could fit the bill as Malone's replacement there.

Last edited by Stephen Locke*: 06-28-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old
06-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Roberts - Halpern - Ouellet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSV View Post
3 solid lines
What the ****?

Old
06-28-2008, 04:20 PM
le_sean

I don't like it when people say Tampa's problem was on defence. Boyle, Ranger, O'Brien and Kuba are all Top 4 guys. Problem was 5 man unit defence and piss poor goaltending.

Old
06-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Schooner Guy

It's too bad that we haven't traded the rights to negotiate with Streit for a draft pick. Streit will definitely be a sought after commodity and he definitely won't be returning to Montreal as he'd like to be solely a Dman. Another pick would be great for next year's draft in Mtl.

Old
06-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Papa_Bear_21

Quote:

O'Brien is better than Komisarek
Yeah right!

Old
06-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Locke View Post
There's a possibility that Ryder signs with the Pens now that Malone is gone.He could fit the bill as Malone's replacement there.
No no I think Ryder will sign with Tampa along with Sundin.

Anyway good move by Tampa.

Old
06-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
- Tampa Bay was the worst NHL team last year and Prospal and Richards were there...
- Stamkos replaces Richards (downgrade, in my opinion, for the next year at least...)
- Halpern is injured until december...

Why not bad??? Because they added Malone and Jokinen? WOW!!!

No goalie and no defense... You can't go anywhere with this...
Offense is not the reason why TB finished last.
Boyle was injured for the biggest part of the season, their 4th line looked like a 4th line in the AHL.
Stamkos is not a downgrade in terms of offense from Richards, it also brings new blood and some change which can raise the whole spirit of the team.

Their biggest issue was goaltending, and although Smith hasn't proven anything yet, he is better than what they had. If they're able to land another FA Goalie, such as Theo, they'll be in good shape.

Adding Malone and Roberts would help as well and if they can add a solid D, they should make the POs no problem.

Old
06-28-2008, 06:12 PM
Pelican Peach Pen
BTR-ATL Pen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Locke View Post
BINGO! Thanks Tampa!

Old
06-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Russell Oliver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
IMO, O'brien doesn't even come close to Komisarek
Wouldn't trade Komisarek's Jock Strap for O'Brien.

Old
06-28-2008, 06:25 PM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You know that it's not Sundin. I understand calling names a player because he has the possibility to decide where he could go is pretty dumb.

Still after all those guys that we keep hearing and never come here....it has to be frustrated. So it's mainly about the situation and not about the players itself.........
But aren't we the ones creating the false expectations.

If guys still don't want to come here then as we've said...maybe they are not the answer we are looking for.

Old
06-28-2008, 06:40 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
The problem with TB is defense and in goal.

Mike Smith has shown nothing just yet.
I don't think you've watched much of Mike Smith.

Old
06-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
But aren't we the ones creating the false expectations.

If guys still don't want to come here then as we've said...maybe they are not the answer we are looking for.
It's not about expectations as far as I'm concerned. It's about continually hearing from journalists, players and Bob himself that we were finalists. And now what I keep hearing is that we should have that "moral victory" attitude that it's great now that we're considered 'cause we were never considered before and I can't stand it. Moral victories are for others. And who really cares if we always come 2nd 'cause right now, I will always keep thinking that the only reason why we're on all those bids, it's exactly because we raise those bids for the players.

As far as them not being the answer, I don't buy it. Players that came 'cause they wanted to were not necessarily the answer as well.

Anyway, we'll see maybe the trend is slowly but surely turning around. We'll see what the Tanguay acquisition and the fact that we finished 1st last year will do to our reputation. Clearly, Bob made a statement with Tanguay showing he wanted to win NOW. Let's see who wants to join in.

Old
06-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
I don't think you've watched much of Mike Smith.
We can compare Smith with Halak.
He's good, and has potential, but he's yet to prove anything really.

Old
06-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
There top-2 can rival ours, no doubt about it.

O'Brien is better than Komisarek, but Markov is better than Boyle.

It's from there, then begin to downgrade. Ranger is good, but he's not as good as Hammer. Kuba is on the downhill. And their #5 and #6 are too young to predict.
Wasn't there a thread last season about who's better Komi or Markov??..and a lot of fools said Komi.

O'Brien is good, but he's not close to being as good as Komi. Not yet at least.

I know you were basically trying to make a point, but let's not push it.

Their top2 don't compare to ours. Especially when both of them are on top of their game.

Old
06-28-2008, 09:03 PM
Go Habs Go

Malone will be insanely overpaid after this year. He's a great player but he's getting so overhyped. I've even heard comparisons to Brad Richards...

Old
06-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Malone will be insanely overpaid after this year. He's a great player but he's getting so overhyped. I've even heard comparisons to Brad Richards...
The only thing those 2 have in common is that they're fowards, other than that they have nothing similar in their play/performance and what they bring to a club.

Malone will get overpaid though, just like most UFAs.
Jeff Carter got 5M..Im interested to see how much AKost will make, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some fool give Malone close to 4M.

Old
06-28-2008, 09:28 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
We can compare Smith with Halak.
He's good, and has potential, but he's yet to prove anything really.
I think Smith has shown he's ready to be a starter in the NHL. I wouldn't say Halak has done that yet.

Old
06-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
I think Smith has shown he's ready to be a starter in the NHL. I wouldn't say Halak has done that yet.
I don't think you've proven anything until you actually do it. That's what I meant.

We'll see next year if he's ready to be a full time starter.

Old
06-28-2008, 09:38 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
There top-2 can rival ours, no doubt about it.

O'Brien is better than Komisarek
O'Brien is one of the most underestimated blueliners in the entire league.I think he's severely overlooked.

But Komisarek has established himself as the better defenseman in every regard.

Closed Thread