HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lightning ink Ryan Malone, Gary Roberts

Old
06-28-2008, 04:25 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
I would prefer Malone to some others out there such as Hossa who can be great as long as he's playing with someone who is even better but who will get a huge contract from some team whether or not anyway or a Ryder who though healthy was to be found sitting in the stands during his teams playoffs last spring or a Satan who if he's not scoring is not doing anything. This is not a particularly good year for free agents--especially forwards. If we don't sign Jagr--there's a good chance IMO we won't make the playoffs next season--which is a step back in that sense but does not mean necessarily that the team cannot progress if some of our younger forwards step up. There's a question if we want to sign anybody to a long term high end contract such as a Ryder just to remain respectable in the standings? He or Satan might just amount to being the return of Valeri Kamensky--2009 version.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 04:37 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I would prefer Malone to some others out there such as Hossa who can be great as long as he's playing with someone who is even better but who will get a huge contract from some team whether or not anyway or a Ryder who though healthy was to be found sitting in the stands during his teams playoffs last spring or a Satan who if he's not scoring is not doing anything. This is not a particularly good year for free agents--especially forwards. If we don't sign Jagr--there's a good chance IMO we won't make the playoffs next season--which is a step back in that sense but does not mean necessarily that the team cannot progress if some of our younger forwards step up. There's a question if we want to sign anybody to a long term high end contract such as a Ryder just to remain respectable in the standings? He or Satan might just amount to being the return of Valeri Kamensky--2009 version.
On the subject of Ryder, people more often then not fail to mention the whole story.

He simply was not treated well in Montreal, and he needs a change.

He had a bad year and was still mildly productive in the Goals column.

Put him with someone who compliments his style (Gomez), and a coach who prides him self on not being a brash, pompous *******, but rather showing his players respect in exchange for hard work (Renney), and he will get back on track.

Ryder didn't score 85 goals through the 3 seasons prior to this, out of coincidence. He has a quick release that he uses off the rush. Which is very convenient considering Gomez is someone who rushes the puck and feeds it to someone to shoot off the rush... only problem is that Gomez didn't have a single, solitary body who could pull that off this year.

Also, Ryder is not going to be overpaid. On the contrary he will probably be undervalued on the market, and who ever signs him will have gotten a UFA steal this summer.

Also, because Renney is so patient, he can teach Ryder the finer points of play away from the puck, as well.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 04:51 PM
NYR Viper

malone, ryder, orpik, redden, liles, stuart IMO would be good fits in the UFA market(not all)

vermette, bernier would be good additions through trade(not both)

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
There were nearly identical posts regarding Slats sleeping habits last year on July 1st. The Drury and Gomez signings didn't come out till the late afternoon/evening and all day people thought he was sleeping/fishing. Then bam, we got Gomez and Drury.

Slats has this knack for flying under the radar with signing FA's.
If your trying to make me feel better by mentioning last offseason it's not working. I thought then and think now that the Drury signing was not needed. We needed to sign ONE center and we got two. I said it last season when everyone was screaming for Renney's head, Slats put togeather a poor team. C'mon, Roszival as our top dman with 3 young guys back there (two of them rookies Staal/Girardi) and the mighty Jason Sturdwick as our #7 instead of a kid like Pock? Seriously, thank god for Hank.

He gave Shanny wayyyy too much money last year which was another mistake, so thats two mistakes that made the team pay to now. Ya can't have a gm making so many mistakes in the cap NHL. I can sit here and go on and on about Sahters mistakes since the lockout. The drafting and trading of Montoya, drafting Hugh Jessiman in that draft lol, he is also a smug little ******* and I could so see how other teams would not want to deal with Glen Sather.

Please god let the NHL boot Dolan as the owner so we can get someone in here who will fire Sather, please!

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 05:18 PM
Celestial Black

Good. Less garbage for us to possibly pick up and regret.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Stepan Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0rac3 View Post
Good. Less garbage for us to possibly pick up and regret.
edit: didn't realize malone was ufa

Last edited by Stepan Razor: 06-28-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 06:08 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
If your trying to make me feel better by mentioning last offseason it's not working. I thought then and think now that the Drury signing was not needed. We needed to sign ONE center and we got two. I said it last season when everyone was screaming for Renney's head, Slats put togeather a poor team. C'mon, Roszival as our top dman with 3 young guys back there (two of them rookies Staal/Girardi) and the mighty Jason Sturdwick as our #7 instead of a kid like Pock? Seriously, thank god for Hank.

He gave Shanny wayyyy too much money last year which was another mistake, so thats two mistakes that made the team pay to now. Ya can't have a gm making so many mistakes in the cap NHL. I can sit here and go on and on about Sahters mistakes since the lockout. The drafting and trading of Montoya, drafting Hugh Jessiman in that draft lol, he is also a smug little ******* and I could so see how other teams would not want to deal with Glen Sather.
Please god let the NHL boot Dolan as the owner so we can get someone in here who will fire Sather, please!
those were pre-lockout.

count me as someone who thinks he's made more good moves than bad post-lockout.

and i fail to see how pock warranted being a 7th d-man...or even an nhl'er.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 06:24 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post

I didn't say he would make good moves. I only said he isn't sleeping.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 07:01 PM
blue2noise

Means nothing. Similar to trading Ricky before July 1st to get the compensation.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Means nothing. Similar to trading Ricky before July 1st to get the compensation.
not really that similar. that was simply to get the pick, Tampa wants these extra days to negotiate.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 07:15 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Those compensatory picks were abolished with the new CBA.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 07:49 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
On the subject of Ryder, people more often then not fail to mention the whole story.

He simply was not treated well in Montreal, and he needs a change.

He had a bad year and was still mildly productive in the Goals column.

Put him with someone who compliments his style (Gomez), and a coach who prides him self on not being a brash, pompous *******, but rather showing his players respect in exchange for hard work (Renney), and he will get back on track.

Ryder didn't score 85 goals through the 3 seasons prior to this, out of coincidence. He has a quick release that he uses off the rush. Which is very convenient considering Gomez is someone who rushes the puck and feeds it to someone to shoot off the rush... only problem is that Gomez didn't have a single, solitary body who could pull that off this year.

Also, Ryder is not going to be overpaid. On the contrary he will probably be undervalued on the market, and who ever signs him will have gotten a UFA steal this summer.

Also, because Renney is so patient, he can teach Ryder the finer points of play away from the puck, as well.

At best Ryder is a complimentary player. Considering outbidding other teams for his services after the **** season he just had--giving him 3-4 times long term what he made last year would be a joke. The Gomez theory is nice but theory oftentimes doesn't turn into reality and in his case IMO it's not convincing. The Rangers could afford to give Jagr a big contract but replacing Jagr with Ryder and giving Ryder even close to the same money would be insane. Jagr can carry a team. Ryder can't and at his best will still be just a passenger along for the ride. As for Malone I could see giving him 3 years and 12 mil but I expect he'll get better offers than that. It's not that I see him as a legit 1st liner but he should be good for 20 goals year in year out--good size, good boardwork which is something our team lacks. Some people make too much out of last years lack of production but the team was more focused on it's two way game and lacked a real quarterback. We were a finesse oriented team that got knocked out by the Penguins not just because of not being able to match the young talent of Crosby and Malkin but because we were outmuscled along the boards and in the corners. We are not going to match that top end talent whatever we do--unless we completely tank and get Tavares--where we can close the gap is upgrade in size and physical play.

Old
06-28-2008, 07:57 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Malone will cost far more then Ryder.

Malone has half the offensive talent of Ryder.

Sorry, but it's the truth.

Old
06-28-2008, 08:01 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Malone will cost far more then Ryder.

Malone has half the offensive talent of Ryder.

Sorry, but it's the truth.
I agree with this. I don't understand why everyone here is so low on Ryder. He basically got run out of town by Montreal for having a lackluster offensive season. Put him with the right linemates and he will return to form. He is worth the risk for one or two years at his price.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 08:05 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
I agree with this. I don't understand why everyone here is so low on Ryder. He basically got run out of town by Montreal for having a lackluster offensive season. Put him with the right linemates and he will return to form. He is worth the risk for one or two years at his price.
I don't even think he will cost that much.

I think he will be forced to take a pay cut and be happy just to get out of Montreal.

And he will prove the naysayers wrong.

Old
06-28-2008, 08:44 PM
eco's bones

Ryder made almost 3 mil last year. I actually thought he made less than that. He will take the best offer no doubt or somewhere close and with a shortage of talent in the pool I would expect he's not going to be taking a paycut.

On the subject of talent. It's great--you can't win without it but so many talented players are also soft players. You also need players that are maybe not as talented but are miserable to play against--and it's very nice if you have at least one of those on one of your top two lines. Much of the Rangers best talent has been barely tapped--Staal, Dubinsky or is still untapped--Anisimov, Del Zotto, Sanguinetti etc. etc.--those players will not necessarily be soft players and in a sense I prefer that kind of talent that can still be molded.

The thing is we could try closing the talent gap signing guys like Ryder--but they are like patch jobs that don't equate to the real problems posed by an up and coming team like the Penguins. We are not going to beat them playing run and gun. Our only chance in the next few years will be playing a hard nosed and disciplined game against them. If the Rangers don't sign Jagr that would be the direction I would head the team in and our '08 draft seemed somewhat directed that way at least the Grachev, Weise and Gaulton selections.

Old
06-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Some interesting stuff from Puck-Rakers, the Blue Jackets' blog:

Quote:
3) Three days ago, Brian Lawton was hired as director of hockey operations for Tampa Bay Lightning. Lawton and Mike Liut, who happens to be Malone's agent, used to be partners together, working side-by-side on a slew of clients. Maybe Liut did his friend a favor, a welcome-to-your-new-job gift. This is highly possible.

4) NHL sources told me on Saturday night that Malone's father, Greg Malone, has recently been offered a job with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Malone had been working as a scout with the Phoenix Coyotes. Before that, he was a scout with the Pittsburgh Penguins. While he wasn't fired by the Penguins a few years ago, he was shown the door by management, which is where the relationship between Malone and club became frayed. Now, they could be reunited.
and

Quote:
Anyway, according to folks down in Tampa, Malone and the Lightning were negotiating on Saturday night, as this is being typed.

My gut tells me the Penguins will be getting a third-round draft pick. And the Blue Jackets are now in the market for Kristian Huselius.
The Bolts ownership have said again and again they want to be the Flyers for '08-'09. I think they will be a very interesting and fun team to watch next year.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 09:37 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

And btw. I agree Ryder is a complimentary player.

HOWEVER, get him out of that hockey media cesspool in Montreal, and get him with a coach who has a cool head, and he will be the game breaker he was before this year.