HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rivalry Question

Old
06-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Al Bundy*

vCash: 500
Rivalry Question

In the late 1990s and early 2000s,

when the Oilers/Stars rivalry was at its apex (Beeeel-fooooour! Beeeel-foooour!), did you guys ever consider that to be bigger than the Battle of Alberta?

Keep in mind that during this era, while Edmonton always played Dallas in those great series, Calgary was not very good and didn't make the playoffs.

I felt that the Oilers no longer considered Calgary a big rival at the time.

Care to clarify?

P.S. Edited my avatar. I like to fiddle with it from time-to-time.

Last edited by Al Bundy*: 06-27-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 08:28 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

I never made much of the BoA in the late 90's/early 00's era, just because the Flames were such a crap team.

I thought our biggest rivalries were with the Stars and Avalanche. Just because they were teams that although finished among the top-3 in the league ever year, we managed to always have close games with.

To me, Calgary was like Phoenix has been over the past few years

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 08:35 PM
JoeHockey

I think you have to be 30+ to appreciate the battle of Alberta.

I have not seen anything close to those days between Cal and EDM for years.

The only thing close was a game against VAN last yr where Gagner fought Kessler.

That was only one game though...make that game an every game occurance for 6o minutes over a decade of games...and you'll have an idea of what the legend of the BOA was founded upon.

JoeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Raoul Duke*

Those years of Dallas/Edmonton were intense. At the time I definitely hated them more than Calgary, but in the years after 2004 those Flame fans poked their ugly heads back out from being away from hockey for 13 years.

It's something I don't think we'll see in hockey for a long time. Edmonton and Dallas played each other what? 8 years in the playoffs? When one missed, the other did. It was a guarantee for some reason for the two to meet.

Yesterday on the NHL Network they had the top 10 Stars/Oilers playoff games, and a lot of the inner hatred came back.

Was more funny to see things I forgot, like Pat Falloon as the 3rd guy with Weight and Smyth. No wonder we lost most of them. Early series focused on Cujo holding down the fort, later years nothing but Salo suckage.

Funny thing now is that I actually like the Dallas Stars. Top 5 team in the NHL for me.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 04:20 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
#Oilers2015

I think it's all about how old you are. If you're 30+ you'd have grown up HATING the Flames. Alot of my friends DESPISE Dallas and Colorado because growing up we always lost to them and the rivalries were intense. Now alot of the younger kids hate Anaheim and Carolina while Calgary and Vancouver are being hated as well so the different perceptions are based on how long you've been watching the Oil.

EchoesoftheEighties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Perfect_Drug

I'm on the cusp of the age bracket (29).

Edmonton/Calgary was ridiculously intense. Nothing can get that image out of my head, of Sandy McCarthy ripping up Dave Semenko's jersey in the penalty box with his skate. We were LIVID.

It was venomous hatred of 2 of the best teams of all time (ours being better).

The last true BoA game I think was when Esa Tikkannen scored an Overtime winner in Game 7 first round in 91'. Those games had EVERYTHING. Hitting fighting, scoring, goaltending, racious crowds. It was the epitome of everything hockey should be.

Wouldn't surprise me if we never see anything like that ever again. No other rivalry in the NHL really compares. There's a little too much comraderie and player movement these days. Not saying those BoA games were dirty, but they did NOT like each other.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Psycho Dad

vCash: 610
It most certainly supplanted the BoA for the time being. It was true David vs. Goliath, pretender vs. contender, and Goliath usually stomped us. But I wouldn't trade our one series win for any of theirs. They had the payroll and the talent, but we taught them a lot about heart.

Their team and fans were very professional and honorable, giving us a lot of credit for our effort. We were furious at the heavy clutch and grab style they used, but they were a great team, with or without Ludwig's mammoth shinpads.

I don't miss playing them at all, though.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 07:29 PM
jcoldwell

Edmonton/Dallas or Edmonton/Colorado doesn't compare to what the 80's BOA had. If you were too young you wouldn't remember, but every game Edmonton and Calgary had were intense, preseason, regular and playoffs it didn't matter. I would even say the playoff series against Philly were more intense than the Dallas/Colorado series. People are trying to compare 80's hockey to 90's and 00's hockey, it just isn't the same.

You never seen line brawls with Colorado or Dallas like you did with Calgary or Philly. Any 80's battle (Montreal vs. Boston, Montreal vs. Quebec, NY vs. NY, Boston vs. Philly and the list goes on) is better than what the Oilers had with Colorado and Dallas.

jcoldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 07:31 PM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Ed 16 View Post
It most certainly supplanted the BoA for the time being. It was true David vs. Goliath, pretender vs. contender, and Goliath usually stomped us. But I wouldn't trade our one series win for any of theirs. They had the payroll and the talent, but we taught them a lot about heart.

Their team and fans were very professional and honorable, giving us a lot of credit for our effort. We were furious at the heavy clutch and grab style they used, but they were a great team, with or without Ludwig's mammoth shinpads.

I don't miss playing them at all, though.
Very True.

Many of them gave credit to the Oilers when they finally won the cup.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote