HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Jessiman suprise us again?

Old
06-28-2008, 09:58 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Will Jessiman suprise us again?

Now, we all love Korps. He's averaging a goal a game during his NHL career, better than any Hall of Famer. All he has to do is maintain the same pace in all his future games.

Now...Korps averaged .62 in Hartford.

The much bigger Jessiman had .58, a difference of only 3 points when projected over 82 games.

That seems very close.

But Jessiman is just enormous at 6-foot-6 235 pounds and he has begun to bang this year (154 PIM in 71 AHL games plus another 21 in 5 playoff games).

He has been able to stay in Hartford all year and was one of its top players (not counting those who in the NHL most of the year like Callahan and Dawes).

To me it seems, Jessiman has at least as much potential as Byers, who had near identical stats, but is 40 pounds smaller, and maybe will even be as good as Korps in 2-3 years.

That said, I've seen only 2 Hartford games all year. Jessiman was solid, but unspectacular during both. But so was Byers. And Korps. None of them dominated. None of them struggled.

Am I wrong?

I get that every is very disappointed with Jessiman who was supposed to be the next Tkachuk.

But forget expectations for him in 2003. Imagine if he had been drafted in the 4th round instead. Where would you project him? I still think he could be a good, banging third liner.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
First, they need to re-sign him. But, I think he knows this is his make or break year. He's gotta play a more consistent game top to bottom, and earn a call-up. If he doesn't, I think he's done, with us at least.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 10:22 PM
RANGERS2448

1 yr do or die contract and i hope he kicks it up and makes the team as a late yr call up dont think he will do it out of camp [have we ever called him up to the big club cant remeber]

RANGERS2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 10:33 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
Now, we all love Korps. He's averaging a goal a game during his NHL career, better than any Hall of Famer. All he has to do is maintain the same pace in all his future games.

Now...Korps averaged .62 in Hartford.

The much bigger Jessiman had .58, a difference of only 3 points when projected over 82 games.

That seems very close.

But Jessiman is just enormous at 6-foot-6 235 pounds and he has begun to bang this year (154 PIM in 71 AHL games plus another 21 in 5 playoff games).

He has been able to stay in Hartford all year and was one of its top players (not counting those who in the NHL most of the year like Callahan and Dawes).

To me it seems, Jessiman has at least as much potential as Byers, who had near identical stats, but is 40 pounds smaller, and maybe will even be as good as Korps in 2-3 years.

That said, I've seen only 2 Hartford games all year. Jessiman was solid, but unspectacular during both. But so was Byers. And Korps. None of them dominated. None of them struggled.

Am I wrong?

I get that every is very disappointed with Jessiman who was supposed to be the next Tkachuk.

But forget expectations for him in 2003. Imagine if he had been drafted in the 4th round instead. Where would you project him? I still think he could be a good, banging third liner.

Problem is that it's not just the stats that make or break a player.

A few factors to keep in mind is that both Byers and Korpikoski are two years YOUNGER than Jessiman.

Byers projects as a fourth liner who aggrivates and pops in points, I'm not sure if Hugh would really fill that role the way Byers would. There's a certain mindset to that role, and I just can't see Hugh bringing that to the table.

Korpikoski has excellent hockey sense, which is not one of Hugh's strengths. He projects as a smart third line player who covers his own end and can put in around 20 goals if he progresses.

Heck for all the talk about Jessiman, why don't we mention Greg Moore in that conversation. He's a big guy who came from the college ranks and is the same age as Hugh. Moore is all of two days older and has out-performed him in two pro seasons by a pretty big margin. In fact he does one better than your fourth round comment about Hugh, he was a fifth round pick.

Yet somehow Moore has little shot at the NHL and never seems to get mentioned in these conversations. Ironic isn't it? Moore performs at a level we would gush over Hugh for and yet he's ignored.

Therein lies one of my big problems with most conversations about Hugh and why I can't help myself whenever he comes up in coversation. Stuff that would just not fly for ANY other prospect is acceptable for him.

There are just players this board can't help but that do that with and Hugh is one of them. I don't know but for the last 8 or 9 years we fall in love with a kid who really doesn't look like he's going to make it and we just latch onto them. We get into multi-page arguments over them and we insist that "they'll make it if we give them a chance."

Yet everytime a kid makes it, he shows the same thing. A higher level of performance at the AHL or the ability to bring one or two distinct abilities to the pro team. Additionally, we almost never have to make an excuse for them for very long or attempt to twist their game into something more than what they actually showed.

That's what seperates the Girardi's for the Baranka's. The Staal's for the Pocks, the Dubinsky's from the Immonen's and Lundmark's and the Dawes,Korpikoski's and others from the Jessiman's.

Last edited by Edge: 06-28-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERS2448 View Post
1 yr do or die contract and i hope he kicks it up and makes the team as a late yr call up dont think he will do it out of camp [have we ever called him up to the big club cant remeber]
Definitely agree. A 3-year contract would be excessive, but he has improved enough in 07-08 to earn another 1-year contract.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have a 2-way third liner who's 6-foot-6 235 pounds.

And if it doesn't work out, what did we lose? We will have spent $100K on a top-6 Hartford who'll help that team complete for the Calder Cup. Not too shabby anyway.

Old
06-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I brought up Greg Moore a couple of times actually. I really do think that he's one of our more underrated prospects.

He's done very well in his last year of college and this year in Hartford. He was probably the best Wolf after Parenteau and Hutch.

When I think of NYR future, I always see Moore as one of our third liners, ahead of Jessiman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post

Heck for all the talk about Jessiman, why don't we mention Greg Moore in that conversation. He's a big guy who came from the college ranks and is the same age as Hugh. Moore is all of two days older and has out-performed him in two pro seasons by a pretty big margin. In fact he does one better than your fourth round comment about Hugh, he was a fifth round pick.

Yet somehow Moore has little shot at the NHL and never seems to get mentioned in these conversations. Ironic isn't it? Moore performs at a level we would gush over Hugh for and yet he's ignored.

Old
06-28-2008, 10:54 PM
free0717

The Beautiful thing about this situation is that the Rangers by not qualifying Hugh can give Hugh a one year two way deal at league minimum. I heard that His fighting improved to an NHL level during the season and he can bring more Offense to the 4th line than Orr or Hollweg. Is he a waste of a 1st round pick when Parise, Perry, Getzlaf and Richards still on the board, YES. But Hugh can be a useful 4th line player that can pot 7 or 8 goals on the 4th line and provide energy and fight.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 11:23 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
The Beautiful thing about this situation is that the Rangers by not qualifying Hugh can give Hugh a one year two way deal at league minimum. I heard that His fighting improved to an NHL level during the season and he can bring more Offense to the 4th line than Orr or Hollweg. Is he a waste of a 1st round pick when Parise, Perry, Getzlaf and Richards still on the board, YES. But Hugh can be a useful 4th line player that can pot 7 or 8 goals on the 4th line and provide energy and fight.
I agree. Hopes for Jessiman ever being what he was drafted to be are long lost. If he'll fight, I'd love him on our 4th. This team has the potential to be a very tough team, something I've hoped we'd become for a long time. If somehow Byers and/or Jessiman could make it to the 3rd line, that'd be ideal. ANd we still got Orr, Callahan, Dubinsky.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 11:24 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
i dont think he was drafted to be an enforcer

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 11:26 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
i dont think he was drafted to be an enforcer
no kidding, but he busted out. Make the most of it. 4th liner who could pot 7, sweet.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 11:27 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
no kidding, but he busted out. Make the most of it. 4th liner who could pot 7, sweet.
i still think he can be a 3rd liner for us.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
I agree. Hopes for Jessiman ever being what he was drafted to be are long lost. If he'll fight, I'd love him on our 4th. This team has the potential to be a very tough team, something I've hoped we'd become for a long time. If somehow Byers and/or Jessiman could make it to the 3rd line, that'd be ideal. ANd we still got Orr, Callahan, Dubinsky.
If one of Byers/Jessiman becomes a third liner and the other becomes a fourth liner, we will have no problem with being tough.

Old
06-29-2008, 12:29 AM
The Thomas J.*

My take on Jessiman is this, I expect nothing from him, if & when he is ready great, until than there are other players that are hungry & developed that will be there when we need them.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 02:00 AM
NYR Viper

i think by the end of next year he wil make his way to the garden and play at msg with the rangers......im calling it now....it will be 4th line duty and he will stick because:
1) he has a great attitude
2) he has a great work ethic
3) he adds size to a small lineup
4) he goes to the net

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:29 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I don't think he'll stick around this year, but he should make a Greg Moore type cameo appearance for a half dozen games with the big boys.

If he keeps improving like he has last year, he will make it to the NHL as a regular at some point during the 2009-10 season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i think by the end of next year he wil make his way to the garden and play at msg with the rangers......im calling it now....it will be 4th line duty and he will stick because:
1) he has a great attitude
2) he has a great work ethic
3) he adds size to a small lineup
4) he goes to the net

Old
06-29-2008, 04:05 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
**** Jessiman

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 07:25 AM
eco's bones

Byers I suspect is over 200 lbs. now despite some people's insistence that he hasn't put on a pound since he's been drafted. Dane's transition to the pros from juniors was excellent considering he didn't burn up the WHL. He's had two very solid AHL seasons and there's reason to believe he would be productive NHL 4th liner with potential to 3rd line. He has size, he fights, hits, goes into the traffic areas, gets dirty goals--these are good things and looking up and down the lineup they are things we lack.

Jessiman made good progress last year and that is encouraging. Would I re-sign him?--most likely. Here's the thing though--the last time I actually saw him play was in pre-season and there were things he really needed to work on and which I'm not sure he's corrected in less than a year. In close combat along the boards and in the corners he was easily maneuvered off the puck, his balance and strength on his skates was not very good. He has a nice stride but to be an effective player for his size he will have to grind better--give hits, take hits and roll off them. He'll not be a good NHL player until he does--he looked more like Mike Rupp those games I saw him. Judging by that--continued improvement might land him a cup of coffee with our team in the coming season but I think he's still at least a season away.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERS2448 View Post

I actually think he will surprise and could make the 4th line out of camp OR be one of the first call ups

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 11:28 AM
NYR Viper

if things work out well and the rangers want to let korpikoski and anisimov get another year or so in the AHL i could see byers AND jessiman making the team as they add size and grit to a very small, weak team without avery......

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 12:29 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Jessiman >>>>> Hollweg

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 01:13 PM
chosen

Jessiman might make it if the NHL ever goes to a five line lineup. Nah. Probably not.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Jessiman >>>>> Hollweg
Hollweg's Dancing >>> anything Jessiman does.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 01:49 PM
eco's bones

Hollweg might not be too great of a player but he is strong on his skates. Last I looked Jessiman wasn't.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 01:52 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

I hope he does. I've always been a Jessiman fan. Just his size and the ability he's beginning to show makes me wonder...he could be a late bloomer, maybe he'll show us something this year in camp.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 08:48 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Problem is that it's not just the stats that make or break a player.

A few factors to keep in mind is that both Byers and Korpikoski are two years YOUNGER than Jessiman.

Byers projects as a fourth liner who aggrivates and pops in points, I'm not sure if Hugh would really fill that role the way Byers would. There's a certain mindset to that role, and I just can't see Hugh bringing that to the table.

Korpikoski has excellent hockey sense, which is not one of Hugh's strengths. He projects as a smart third line player who covers his own end and can put in around 20 goals if he progresses.

Therein lies one of my big problems with most conversations about Hugh and why I can't help myself whenever he comes up in coversation. Stuff that would just not fly for ANY other prospect is acceptable for him.

There are just players this board can't help but that do that with and Hugh is one of them. I don't know but for the last 8 or 9 years we fall in love with a kid who really doesn't look like he's going to make it and we just latch onto them. We get into multi-page arguments over them and we insist that "they'll make it if we give them a chance."

Yet everytime a kid makes it, he shows the same thing. A higher level of performance at the AHL or the ability to bring one or two distinct abilities to the pro team. Additionally, we almost never have to make an excuse for them for very long or attempt to twist their game into something more than what they actually showed.

That's what seperates the Girardi's for the Baranka's. The Staal's for the Pocks, the Dubinsky's from the Immonen's and Lundmark's and the Dawes,Korpikoski's and others from the Jessiman's.
I understand where you're coming from regarding Moore - and I certainly hope he does make that next step to the NHL and becomes a productive 3rd/4th liner for us. He was one of my favorite prospects when he joined the Wolfpack from Maine and made a big splash a couple of years ago.

But to be fair to Hugh, in addition to his hot streaks Moore has also suffered some confounding slumps, and he didn't exactly set the world on fire when he did get callups to the big club. I'm looking from more from BOTH players this year.

If they do both continue to progress, I actually see more of an upside to Hugh's game. That's why I still support the big guy - he shows flashes of ability that I've never seen from Moore. For Moore, I hope that he continues to take incremental steps and bring the same style of game to the big club, whereas for Jessiman, I want to see the gaps filled in (if that makes any sense). I'm very curious to see what happens in training camp (assuming they sign Hugh as I hope that they will) with both of these guys.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote