HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sundin to Montreal Offseason Rumors Part 4 (Mats needs more time to decide)

View Poll Results: When do we trigger plan B?
BAIL OUT NOW!!! We had our chance, go after HOSSA! 63 50.81%
3 days 9 7.26%
5 days 3 2.42%
ALL the way baby! Show our commitment to a respected stellar star 49 39.52%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2008, 04:41 AM
kalessin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
Depending on which of his friends you believe, Sundin is not really enamoured with the supposed frontrunners, Montreal and Detroit, would consider the New York Rangers or Florida Panthers, but is also having trouble coming to grips with a final divorce from the Leafs.
http://torontosun.com/Sports/Hockey/...17321-sun.html
Doesn't make sense. Why would he be at all interested in the Panthers?

Old
06-29-2008, 04:54 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by starglider View Post
i dont think anything is clearcut and makes much sense this year with FA's because of how thin the group is on star power and all that

this is something that bothers me about jagr..
Quote:
a one-year, $6-million offer is believed to be on the table. The future Hall of Famer, who has 646 goals and 1,599 points, conceded that money is important to him
also, based on the sun report.. even that says its not clear if sundin is enamored by the habs and wings given it says "depending on who you ask"

Old
06-29-2008, 04:57 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
Depending on which of his friends you believe
"He's not ****in' goin to the Hab nots or the **** wings" said Sal Spratt, the owner of a local Toronto bar. "Mats comes in here after Leaf games every night and me and him shoot the ****. When people mention Montreal, he's like **** that ****, I don't do faggy frenchmen. When people mention Detroit, hes like **** that ****, I don't hang with no motor city mother****ers. I'm 100% Maple Leaf. If Sundin is leaving Toronto, boy is totally going to Broadway or Florida or some ****. He's gonna live large. **** the Habs. **** the Wings!"

- The Toronto Star
note: source could be talking out posterior

Old
06-29-2008, 05:10 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
"He's not ****in' goin to the Hab nots or the **** wings" said Sal Spratt, the owner of a local Toronto bar. "Mats comes in here after Leaf games every night and me and him shoot the ****. When people mention Montreal, he's like **** that ****, I don't do faggy frenchmen. When people mention Detroit, hes like **** that ****, I don't hang with no motor city mother****ers. I'm 100% Maple Leaf. If Sundin is leaving Toronto, boy is totally going to Broadway or Florida or some ****. He's gonna live large. **** the Habs. **** the Wings!"

- The Toronto Star

well id say no more needs to be said eh?

Old
06-29-2008, 05:12 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post

- The Toronto Star
if mats did indeed say that it wouldnt necessarily mean he meant it.. i mean.. if you go to a bar and sit down to "shoot the feces" with the owner wouldnt you want to say what he wants to hear? that you wouldnt play for a team like the habs due to rivalry and all that.
i mean.. if i was in sundin's shoes at that time, i wouldve said pretty much the same thing because i know thats what the guy wouldve wanted to hear not that i thought the habs were my best chance to win while staying in canada or something along those lines (i vaguely remember a rumor that he didnt want to play in the states for some sorta tax reasons and wanted to stay in the east and play for a canadian team)

i mean.. if i do end up actually signing back with the leafs i wouldnt have burned any bridges in the city and would be able to function as normal

Old
06-29-2008, 06:54 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I'm not sure that there are any Plan Bs out there. In my mind, as far as big ticket signings go, it's Sundin or nothing. Forget Hossa, forget Jagr, Demitra and the rest. These guys aren't worth it for their respective reasons. The main one being that the team does not need another winger, but a real C who can take face-offs, ideally RH for PP, etc.

So we wait. If Sundin really just wants to wait, then Gainey should have no problem waiting also. If Sundin is just waiting to sign elsewhere, then big deal, it happens. Gainey made a good run. The team is already improved from last year's 1st place finish by the addition of Tanguay.

Old
06-29-2008, 07:01 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I'm not sure that there are any Plan Bs out there. In my mind, as far as big ticket signings go, it's Sundin or nothing. Forget Hossa, forget Jagr, Demitra and the rest. These guys aren't worth it for their respective reasons. The main one being that the team does not need another winger, but a real C who can take face-offs, ideally RH for PP, etc.

So we wait. If Sundin really just wants to wait, then Gainey should have no problem waiting also. If Sundin is just waiting to sign elsewhere, then big deal, it happens. Gainey made a good run. The team is already improved from last year's 1st place finish by the addition of Tanguay.
the counter argument to that would be adding a winger like jagr or more so hossa would both create significant depth and enable to us to add a "game breaker" type of player. in theory it would also free up other wingers/assets for a trade for either the center we covet or whatever gainey feels we need.

Old
06-29-2008, 07:18 AM
Giddens

Interesting article about Jagr.

He thinks that it doesn't make sense for the Rangers to sign Sundin (another centre). He seems pissed at the Rangers and seems willing to listen to other offers on Tuesday.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...,6498441.story

Edit: Sorry just saw that the link was posted by someone else before...

Last edited by Giddens: 06-29-2008 at 07:58 AM.
Old
06-29-2008, 07:54 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post
the counter argument to that would be adding a winger like jagr or more so hossa would both create significant depth and enable to us to add a "game breaker" type of player. in theory it would also free up other wingers/assets for a trade for either the center we covet or whatever gainey feels we need.
Are Jagr, Hossa, and Kovalev not gamebreakers?? I'd also go as far as saying that A. Kostitsyn is on the verge of becoming a gamebreaker.

Old
06-29-2008, 08:23 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Are Jagr, Hossa, and Kovalev not gamebreakers?? I'd also go as far as saying that A. Kostitsyn is on the verge of becoming a gamebreaker.
oh im not saying theyre not but the reason i said hossa more than jagr is simply age at this point, hossa is younger and therefore (in theory) should be a game breaker for longer than jagr will at this point in time.

as for kovy.. he's a game breaker but is there such a thing as having "too many" game breakers? if you can have one on both of your first 2 or even 3 lines.. is that a bad thing?

Old
06-29-2008, 08:50 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post
It's a fair argument. But I think that if you're weak down the middle, you're just weak in fundamental areas, even if you have lots of strong wingers. A center has responsibilities that only a center can perform. So if Gainey has identified center as a weakness, no winger will compensate.

Also, if we add another scoring winger, someone either gets traded or bumped down. Let's assume the signing of Hossa, the very best winger available. So we add 8 million to the cap and trade Higgins, either Kostitsyn, or Latendresse for some help down the middle.

Maybe that's not such a bad plan. I don't like it much because it involves a lot of chemistry changing when the team really needs to add just one key piece and maybe switch a role player or two. I also think it's a very expensive and complicated plan. You have to spend about 50 million on Hossa to allow you to free up inexpensive assets with upside to acquire a player who will most likely come with an expensive salary. And as the last 4 or 5 years have shown, it's not easy, no matter the assets you have, to acquire that center that every team covets.

Anyway, to me, it's Plan A, Sundin; Plan B, trade for Stoll if possible; Plan C, go with what we have and wait for an opportunity.

Old
06-29-2008, 08:53 AM
plafleur10

I hate to say this, but unless Sundin is a very special person, I don’t buy this procrastination about retiring or continuing to play anymore…

On July 1, decisions have to be made within hours, not days, and no team will keep $7 Million per year (and other possible UFAs) dangling for any length of time…So he knows his decision needs to be made at this point.

So Mats has to have decided if he’s going to play or not by now and, in my humble opinion, his reluctance to sign with Montreal can only mean that Montreal is NOT his #1 choice and that he’s waiting to see what another team or two he prefers, but with whom he cannot talk before July 1, have to offer…

Old
06-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by starglider View Post
I think this stems from a Toronto interview that was done with Wade Belak a couple weeks ago. He said he'd like to play with Mats again and that Florida probably had a better chance at the playoffs than Toronto. Little media heads have been kicking that around since.

Like I'm sure that Mats decision will boil down to wanting the opportunity to play with Wade Belak again ... not.

Old
06-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post
I hate to say this, but unless Sundin is a very special person, I don’t buy this procrastination about retiring or continuing to play anymore

On July 1, decisions have to be made within hours, not days, and no team will keep $7 Million per year (and other possible UFAs) dangling for any length of time…So he knows his decision needs to be made at this point.

So Mats has to have decided if he’s going to play or not by now and, in my humble opinion, his reluctance to sign with Montreal can only mean that Montreal is NOT his #1 choice and that he’s waiting to see what another team or two he prefers, but with whom he cannot talk before July 1, have to offer…
I don't think he's procrastinating at all. I think he knows exactly what he's going to do, but doesn't feel he needs to share it with the media.
And he would be right. We'll find out in early July what's in his head.

Old
06-29-2008, 09:14 AM
ed ible*

Sundin is very impressed with the habs..............http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Hockey/article/451304

Old
06-29-2008, 09:27 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
I hope many of us WILL NOT go to his hockeybuzz site so he can continue make a salary out of his crap.. this guy is almost as reliable at the guy from http://www.myfriendtoldme.com

:/

Sundin wont sign until he makes up his mind, we can also consider than once he has taken his decision, he will then consider our team as much as any other team even more due to the attention gainey showed his even tough he wasnt ready to accept anything just yet. The problem is that I expect Gainey to wait on Sundin but while sundin may think.. it will more than likely take few minutes after july 1st.. days, weeks, retirement???, we might be losing some other major options.. wich is my main worry..

Old
06-29-2008, 09:30 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
It's a fair argument. But I think that if you're weak down the middle, you're just weak in fundamental areas, even if you have lots of strong wingers. A center has responsibilities that only a center can perform. So if Gainey has identified center as a weakness, no winger will compensate.

Also, if we add another scoring winger, someone either gets traded or bumped down. Let's assume the signing of Hossa, the very best winger available. So we add 8 million to the cap and trade Higgins, either Kostitsyn, or Latendresse for some help down the middle.

Maybe that's not such a bad plan. I don't like it much because it involves a lot of chemistry changing when the team really needs to add just one key piece and maybe switch a role player or two. I also think it's a very expensive and complicated plan. You have to spend about 50 million on Hossa to allow you to free up inexpensive assets with upside to acquire a player who will most likely come with an expensive salary. And as the last 4 or 5 years have shown, it's not easy, no matter the assets you have, to acquire that center that every team covets.

Anyway, to me, it's Plan A, Sundin; Plan B, trade for Stoll if possible; Plan C, go with what we have and wait for an opportunity.
are we fundamentally weak down the middle? i mean, we did finish 1st in the east with the current set of centers we have so doesnt that mean we're not necessarily weak and adding sundin or anyone else would be almost like a luxury if you will.. if thats the case then adding a winger would be the same thing as adding a center. as for the role of the center and all that i agree so i didnt talk about that haha.

either way tho, changes are going to take place this year with ryder, smoke, brisebois, streit and possibly others heading out changes are inevitable.. and even if we sign mats, he still needs to play with certain players and have a certain role on the team so that would change the dynamic of the team in its own sense and potentially change the chemistry as well

Old
06-29-2008, 09:38 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20 View Post
I hope many of us WILL NOT go to his hockeybuzz site so he can continue make a salary out of his crap.. this guy is almost as reliable at the guy from http://www.myfriendtoldme.com

I feel so retarded right now, i actually tried the link

Old
06-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcooke View Post
OMFG EKLUND!!!

Other thread is nearing 1000

I got excited for a second and then I seen Eklund's name and realized there was no truth to this thread whatsoever!!!!!!

You can't believe one word Eklund says.....he's 100% wrong 100% of the time!

Old
06-29-2008, 09:40 AM
airlouche

In Eklund we Trust

Old
06-29-2008, 09:42 AM
airlouche

You can't believe one word Eklund says.....he's 100% wrong 100% of the time![/QUOTE]

Old
06-29-2008, 09:48 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
You can't believe one word Eklund says.....he's 100% wrong 100% of the time!
I don't know but maybe that's a contradiction?

If he's 100% wrong 100% of the time then you can believe he's always wrong all the time.

Old
06-29-2008, 09:49 AM
kalessin

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I don't know but maybe that's a contradiction?

If he's 100% wrong 100% of the time then you can believe he's always wrong all the time.
60% of the time he's wrong all the time.

Old
06-29-2008, 09:54 AM
Puckhead58*

OK.....everything he says is wrong.....100% of the time!

Old
06-29-2008, 10:07 AM
Tuggy

It seems like we hear something different from every media outlet, newspaper or website. At this point I don't believe anything they say because they all seem to contradict themselves.

Closed Thread