HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

So What Exactly Is The Rangers Strategy? :dunno:

Old
06-28-2008, 11:53 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post

Sather will have to show character as well. He has to work to make this work. His Golf game must suffer.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 11:58 PM
Ash

Well that's fine. I agree you need a plan and you need character guys.

But you also need guys who put pucks in the net. Now this doesn't mean that I think we should go and sign Hossa and Ryder and whoever. But, our organization looks like it lacks finishers outside of Cherepanov. Hopefully some guys exceed expectations and we get a few goal scorers, because it would be a terrible shame to waste the playmaking talent we have.

Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 12:55 AM
NYR Viper

IMO the rangers will push hard for orpik/stuart to add a physical presence on the back end and they will sign one of campbell(boo), redden or liles to solve the pp qb problems.....if they can resign rozsival longterm(say 3-4 years) at a reasonable(4 million or less) i could see tyutin being packaged for a goal scoring winger and then with whatever money is left the forward corps can be put together.....and i expect them to target multi-dimensional players like rolston, malone and through trades, vermette and bernier

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 01:21 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

*yawn*

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:39 AM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Well to be fair, Selanne only fell short of 50 by 2 goals.

I agree with what you're saying though. I think the key is to acquire players that compliment the players and the system you already have in place. The goals will simply follow as a result of the chemistry you built.

However, I don't think the Rangers have that mentality, at least they haven't in the past. We're a big market team that attracts big market players, and we're willing to pay for them.

What I hope, is that the organization will start building for the defensive strategy that Renney is implementing. With the stance Sather has been taking with the UFA's, it seems like he is finally making a move towards that system.
We have picked defensemen in the first round in 3 of the last 4 years.

Garfinkel1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 04:05 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

sure i agree. you don't need elite offensive talent.

but i'm sure as hell no team is icing prucha, callahan, sjostrom, dawes as their top wingers. something has to be done.

Anthony Mauro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 07:03 AM
NorthlandPro

To fully undertsand what is going on one must look backwards, back to the cleaning out of whatever young players we had in the Brendl & Lundmark draft debacle. That created a void in the organization in terms of talent that should be on this team right now as our own young veterans. That is why Gomez was such an important signing last year for us.

Look at the ages of our players, we have really old guys near the end of their effectiveness, a couple of 25+ guys like the aforementioned Gomez and Then the core, Lundqvist, Tyutin, Staal, Dubinski, Girardi, Callhan, Prucha, Dawes.

This is the year to clear cut all of the old guys and bring in older, yet younger vets under 30. That way our team will be structured to allow for the continued infusion of one or two youngsters every year and still have a young and dynamic team built around size, skill & speed rather than a dysfunctional team that is torn between playing to the younger players talents or that of some old farts on the downward side of their careers looking for one last shot at glory.

That is not to say that you don't have a grizzled old vet or two, but they should be more role players than go to guys.

NorthlandPro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 07:47 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post

FA class: http://www.nhlnumbers.com/freeagents...09&status=none

Rookie class: Cherepanov, Anisimov, Sanguinetti, Wiikman(?), LeNeveu(?)
I don't see how you can assume Cherepanov is going 1) come over here at all, nevermind next year, and 2) even if he does come over, that he'll be anywhere near ready to play in the NHL.

Odds are that he won't even come over, and even if he does, that he'll require at least a year in Hartford, and probably more.

As for Anisimov, I expect him to be with the Rangers this season, if not right out of camp then definitely by the end of the year. The only thing he needs to do is add a few pounds, but other than that he seems ready, by all accounts.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 07:51 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Doesn't mean he will sign with them.

Kovy will become a UFA once in his prime. He has a family. I doubt he will pass up the opportunity to get his one pay day.

IMO, players of Kovy's echelon and situation do reach free agency.

He is on a losing team.

What ever team he gets traded to will obviously have cap restrictions after trading for him, because they will be pushing for the Cup and pushing the Cap ceiling.

I believe he will chose to go on the market. And when he does i think we will have a good chance to get him. As we were fairly close to acquiring him when he was a RFA during the lockout.
Vinny Lecavalier begs to differ.

Old
06-29-2008, 08:04 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post

And with Staal, Girardi and Tyutin filling three of the six spots for the next two years at approx. $5MM it gives us a tremendous base to work with. Once the defense is rebuilt, then I suspect the forward lines will be populated with more north-south players who are responsible defensively (i.e. Malone, Rolston and (here's one to remember) Jay Pandolfo. I expect a team, that will be much like the vintage Devils in discipline, style, character and toughness in coming year. Only (hopefully) better.
I don't think it's reasonable to expect the Rangers to resemble the vintage Devils in anything other than philosophy. The Devils were working with an all-star defense headlined by a Niedermayer/Stevens top pairing, something the Rangers will never have.

As much as we'd like to think that having Staal, Tyutin & Girardi is a "tremendous" defensive base to work with, it's really not. Staal is the only one of these guys with any real value. Tyutin started strong last year, but he got worse and worse as the year ran on, by the end he was damned awful. Girardi is a decent defenseman, but nothing great. He too had a rather tough year, and really, he just isn't that good. Sure, he's somewhat reliable, but he's not a high-end talent, and I don't think he ever will be.

Sure, we've got some good prospects, but that's all they are - prospects. Nothing more, at least not yet.

Old
06-29-2008, 08:42 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
Well that's fine. I agree you need a plan and you need character guys.

But you also need guys who put pucks in the net. Now this doesn't mean that I think we should go and sign Hossa and Ryder and whoever. But, our organization looks like it lacks finishers outside of Cherepanov. Hopefully some guys exceed expectations and we get a few goal scorers, because it would be a terrible shame to waste the playmaking talent we have.
Actually Ryder is exactly the kind of player Sather will look hard at.

Buy low, bang for the buck

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

I'm not sure Sather actually has a plan this offseason. I'm sure he's going to work hard but in the end this team looks like it's going to take a huge step backwards this upcoming season...HUGE step backwards..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:09 AM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I'm not sure Sather actually has a plan this offseason. I'm sure he's going to work hard but in the end this team looks like it's going to take a huge step backwards this upcoming season...HUGE step backwards..
If the step back is strategic (play kids, save cap room to pursue an elite couple of free agents next summer) then I'd be okay with a step back. I don't know how huge of a step back it would be since we have Lundqvist and the team seems to have moved to a trap/team defense approach.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:09 AM
cmdevisser

Send a message via AIM to cmdevisser
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
I don't think it's reasonable to expect the Rangers to resemble the vintage Devils in anything other than philosophy. The Devils were working with an all-star defense headlined by a Niedermayer/Stevens top pairing, something the Rangers will never have.

As much as we'd like to think that having Staal, Tyutin & Girardi is a "tremendous" defensive base to work with, it's really not. Staal is the only one of these guys with any real value. Tyutin started strong last year, but he got worse and worse as the year ran on, by the end he was damned awful. Girardi is a decent defenseman, but nothing great. He too had a rather tough year, and really, he just isn't that good. Sure, he's somewhat reliable, but he's not a high-end talent, and I don't think he ever will be.

Sure, we've got some good prospects, but that's all they are - prospects. Nothing more, at least not yet.
Tyutin and Girardi are good players for there ages and experience. Defensemen don't really come into their own until they are 27-28. Last season was Girardi's rookie season.

cmdevisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
i hope the rangers arent stupid and get Hossa
I agree but everyone wants him

If I see Hossa as a Ranger it will be a GREAT day..............

It's looking more and more that Jags time is done if he is stuck on a 2 yr deal

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post

I think we all agree Campbell or Redden would deepend the D big time

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:37 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
You know, if the Rangers play off the belief the cap is going to keep rising by several million a year to offset their RFA raises next year (something I don't necessarily believe, but Rangers management certainly can better project) we could very well see another double splash in free agency.

Without trades, and assuming Korpikoski and Potter make the roster, we have roughly 18.9 million in free space to sign 2 forwards, 2 defensemen, and a backup goalie.

Could split that as follows:

8.5 - Hossa
6.5 - Campbell
2.5 - Ryder
.6 - Pock
.7 - Valiquette

or

8.5 - Hossa
6 - Redden
2.5 - Ryder
.6 - Pock
.7 - Valiquette

Waive Backman and you have another 1.8 or so million to add to one of those contracts. That could turn Ryder into a Rolston, or upgrade the D further.

Not something I condone, but not outside the realm of possibility either.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdevisser View Post
Tyutin and Girardi are good players for there ages and experience. Defensemen don't really come into their own until they are 27-28. Last season was Girardi's rookie season.
Actually, I don't think last year was Girardi's rookie season, at least not technically.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I think we all agree Campbell or Redden would deepend the D big time
would deepen the D big time? Not necessarily.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:55 AM
TomLaidlaw

I don't have a clue what our off season strategy is.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Turambar

Not sure how many people saw this, but on one of the Rangers On Demand interviews, the one with Renney, he indicates that they've been working hard on getting ready for July 1st, that they've been meeting every day, and that they have several different strategies ready, depending on how things fall.

Old
06-29-2008, 01:09 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Not your or my strategy. What exactly are Slats, Renney and the braintrust thinking right now?
How should we know? All there is to do is speculate, and even still, speculation will be tainted with our own strategies.

Knowing Sather, he's probably got one (or two) of Hossa, Redden or Campbell ready to sign the dotted line. Dawes and Moore have probably received QO's, Jessiman and Ryan probably didn't. There's probably also been a menial trade or signing (he has a deall with JOrts to do this every 2 months). None of our UFAs will be back (except probably Valiquette). Why hasn't any of it been announced?

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
How should we know? All there is to do is speculate, and even still, speculation will be tainted with our own strategies.

Knowing Sather, he's probably got one (or two) of Hossa, Redden or Campbell ready to sign the dotted line. Dawes and Moore have probably received QO's, Jessiman and Ryan probably didn't. There's probably also been a menial trade or signing (he has a deall with JOrts to do this every 2 months). None of our UFAs will be back (except probably Valiquette). Why hasn't any of it been announced?
I can't see a scenario that Dawes wasn't qualified. I just can't see it...I mean I am wrong more than i'm right but I just can see anyway they would let Dawes go for nothing..

We all have our opinions on the beat writers but one of them should be shrewd enough to ask the Rangers if they have done so.

Also...

I bet Valiquette could get over a $1M tax free from the KHL. I don't know if he'd want to go back to Russia but I don't think that's a lock at all..

I'm not nitpicking at your post btw I just kinda thought of those two things reading what you wrote...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Entrancemperium

Maybe this belongs somwhere else but do you think Sather is thinking that Anisimov will play left wing this season if he'll be in the nhl? This subject has probably been beaten to death by now but anyway

Entrancemperium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:29 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I can't see a scenario that Dawes wasn't qualified. I just can't see it...I mean I am wrong more than i'm right but I just can see anyway they would let Dawes go for nothing..

We all have our opinions on the beat writers but one of them should be shrewd enough to ask the Rangers if they have done so.

Also...

I bet Valiquette could get over a $1M tax free from the KHL. I don't know if he'd want to go back to Russia but I don't think that's a lock at all..

I'm not nitpicking at your post btw I just kinda thought of those two things reading what you wrote...
Not at all...

No, if Dawes wasn't qualified, that's a precursor to a gloomy decade of poor decisions.

Valiquette is the only UFA that we seem to be interested in signing. But who knows?

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote