HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Slats letting Avery talk to teams early

Old
06-29-2008, 04:33 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Slats letting Avery talk to teams early

Quote:
Slap Shots has learned that Sather late last week granted permission to Avery's agent, Pat Morris, to negotiate with any interested NHL team in advance of Tuesday's official opening of the free-agent market.

Sources confirm that not only is that process under way, but that four or five teams have indicated their interest in signing Avery to a contract well in excess of the last deal proffered by Sather to No. 16. It's believed the Rangers have come in at approximately $1M a year less than the four-year, $16M deal Avery is seeking and will be able to get.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/06292008...acy_117745.htm

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 04:39 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

vCash: 500
Good. 4 years at $16 mill, HA.

What a joke.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 04:41 AM
FLYLine24*

Fair price for him.

He'll easily get it somewhere or more. You want one of the most unique players in the league that brings something that 99% of the other players don't, and has skill with it...then he's your man and his price.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 04:45 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Fair price for him.

He'll easily get it somewhere or more. You want one of the most unique players in the league that brings something that 99% of the other players don't, and has skill with it...then he's your man and his price.
Brings something that 99% of other player's dont, 50% of the time.

He's on and off fellow and we haven't made it past round two with him and I doubt we ever will. If Avery is so important to this team; why, when we were picked two years in a row to go far, were we stopped short in our tracks?

It could be that Avery gives out every other game whenever he feels like it to do nothing at all on shifts.

We want to throw out FOUR YEARS at Avery? That's like asking for the respect of your team, current teammates, and upcoming prospects to hate their organization because you can already tell he has enemies in his own damn locker room, how does that bode well?

Old
06-29-2008, 04:47 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
Brings something that 99% of other player's dont, 50% of the time.

He's on and off fellow and we haven't made it past round two with him and I doubt we ever will. If Avery is so important to this team; why, when we were picked two years in a row to go far, were we stopped short in our tracks?

It could be that Avery gives out every other game whenever he feels like it to do nothing at all on shifts.

We want to throw out FOUR YEARS at Avery? That's like asking for the respect of your team, current teammates, and upcoming prospects to hate their organization because you can already tell he has enemies in his own damn locker room, how does that bode well?

I never said i'd be willing to give him a 4 year deal...but it doesn't suprise me at all that some teams are.

Everyone is pretty much overpaid on the UFA market...Avery will be as well.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 04:50 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
I never said i'd be willing to give him a 4 year deal...but it doesn't suprise me at all that some teams are.

Everyone is pretty much overpaid on the UFA market...Avery will be as well.
Oh, well in that case I easily agree.

One team that will definitely throw that contract out at him is the Islanders.

It's simply an irrational contract; and, despite Brooks' well-known love for Sean, it's actually very SMART to do what Sather is doing.

All you Avery lovers need to climb back into reality. Sure, it'd be great to have him back. I'm on board as well. But for 4 years at $16 mill? Avery can gladly go wherever he wants and we shouldn't look back.

My only hope is he goes to the Western Conference, and out of our hair....

Old
06-29-2008, 07:07 AM
beastly115

4 years for 16M? Wow. I love Avery and want him back but damn, that's crazy.

Here's hoping he becomes a cancer in the locker room wherever he signs

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 07:23 AM
zestystrat

Love to have him back but not at 4mil per for 4 years.

Two words: BUH-BYE

My guess is wherever he lands, that in an effort to prove his multi-million worth, he injures himself.

People forget how injury prone he is - and the guys not getting any younger.

Just don't go to the island or the swamp Sean. Well I don't think he's gonna land in the swamp..

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 07:42 AM
Turambar

Good, whatever team he lands on should have a fractured locker room by early December.

Personally I think he'll end up in Montreal, Toronto, or San Jose.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 07:55 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Wow. I like how everybody turns on the guy so heavily for a "measley" million over what he should likely be at. If THAT's the issue, it certainly isnt much of one.. considering how much we are/have thrown/are throwing at other guys.... like Drury, Holik, etc etc.

So he should likely wind up getting 3.2 - 3.5. 4 isnt a whole hell of a lot more, considering. Would we pay it in an ideal world? No, but, say what you will, Avery's a gamer at the end of the day.

To think HE's the reason we haven't shot past the second round is absolutely ridiculous.

Might as well blame that on Girardi and Tyutin too, considering its not their fault, either.

This board is getting more ridiculous by the day.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Capitain Midnight
Trust me, I'm a doc

my question is why is sather not trying to get compensation.

it seems he is being lazy by saying you can talk to any team.

get a draft pick or some pucks...

Capitain Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitain Midnight View Post
my question is why is sather not trying to get compensation.

it seems he is being lazy by saying you can talk to any team.

get a draft pick or some pucks...
That's why I think he's got to have a plan and isn't just doing Avery and other GM's a favor. He must have a tactic with dealing with players he wants, that think they're worth more.

Old
06-29-2008, 08:39 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
That's why I think he's got to have a plan and isn't just doing Avery and other GM's a favor. He must have a tactic with dealing with players he wants, that think they're worth more.
Hope you are correct.

In any case, I can't blame Avery if he signs with another team for that much more money than Sather's offering.

Let's hope it's some city where the night life entertainment is miniature golf.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 08:40 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

He enjoys the drama of his rep. The Islanders will give him 4 mill+

the drama

06-29-2008, 08:47 AM
NJrocket24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
Wow. I like how everybody turns on the guy so heavily for a "measley" million over what he should likely be at. If THAT's the issue, it certainly isnt much of one.. considering how much we are/have thrown/are throwing at other guys.... like Drury, Holik, etc etc.

So he should likely wind up getting 3.2 - 3.5. 4 isnt a whole hell of a lot more, considering. Would we pay it in an ideal world? No, but, say what you will, Avery's a gamer at the end of the day.

To think HE's the reason we haven't shot past the second round is absolutely ridiculous.

Might as well blame that on Girardi and Tyutin too, considering its not their fault, either.

This board is getting more ridiculous by the day.
Its equally ridiculous to say he is the reason we made it to the playoffs.

NJrocket24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 08:55 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJrocket24 View Post
Its equally ridiculous to say he is the reason we made it to the playoffs.
The record don't lie. Its curious, but in the end w/o Avery in the lineup the Rangers miss the playoffs.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 08:58 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Sean Avery played a game with a lacerated spleen, is his "effort" even a discussion? Are we really that obtuse that we think a player is going to player EVERY shift of EVERY game without making mistakes?

I don't think i'd go 4 years with Avery but if the markets is $4M a year it might just be worth it..

I'm not sure what Sather is doing and if (Avery aside) Sather even has a concrete plan...

Avery already has "enemies" in his own dressing room? Really? lets see some quotes from teammates that even HINT at that...Also that stuff shouldn't matter to us, it may make for a good topic on the board (if ever proven true) but it doesn't effect the product on the ice...what we SEE! Has Avery ever not backed up one of his teamates? Did Avery let anybody get away with running our players last season?

If the Rangers let Avery go (which it looks like they are) I give the same people that don't want him back until the 2nd game of the Prague trip before they tell us how important Avery is to the team. These games aren't played on paper...this isn't an EHM simulation....a top 6 forward...A top 9 forward that does everything Avery does is hard to come by....Avery is going to look like a bargain for whoever signs him...

Oh but SoS what if he becomes such a distraction we'll have him for 4 more years? Yup, but what's that thing called where you swap a player for um...another player...or a draft pick...Oh yeah a trade!! But SoS what if a team doesn't want to trade for Avery? What's that thing called where you can designate a player and all teams can claim him and if they don't you can send the player to the minors and his contract doesn't count against the cap......oh yeah waivers!!

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:07 AM
NJrocket24

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
The record don't lie. Its curious, but in the end w/o Avery in the lineup the Rangers miss the playoffs.
What about the often quoted Malik Bump in winning percentage. Many things can go into those numbers.

I think he's not worth it. I think often last season he was sullen, not playing hard every game. I do think he was not liked in the locker room. While this is all conjecture based on some observations and we probably wont ever truly know, but I think it has some merit.

If you want to look for evidence of not being liked by backing someone up on the ice, you're not going to find it anywhere on any team. Players back up the sweater, doesn't matter who or what is being attacked. If a player let his personal feelings into the game and didn't do something he'd find himself out of the league very quickly.

NJrocket24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:10 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
There goes Uncle Larry again, being the shill for a player.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:22 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

4 million a year?

Nice knowing ya.

Let him walk

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

I'd give him 3.5-4 if he limited the years to 2.

Honestly my problem with his contract demands is really more the years then the cash itself. I think anyone would have a hard time arguing that Avery wouldn't earn a 4 mil contract next year if he was healthy, but I have some serious qualms about that happening 3 years down the road, especially since there might be a heavy vet turnover/youth infusion over the next two years.

If I was Sather I'd try to sell him on a 4 mil 1 year deal. Tell him if he deserves a extension on Jan 1st he'll get one.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:43 AM
Speedtrials

If he is not coming back with us, I just hope he signs with a team outside of the division. Going against Sean Avery 8 times a year, would be tough to watch.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedtrials View Post
Going against Sean Avery 8 times a year, would be tough to watch.
It's only six next season.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:12 AM
BlueBlooded

Send a message via AIM to BlueBlooded
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I'd give him 3.5-4 if he limited the years to 2.

Honestly my problem with his contract demands is really more the years then the cash itself. I think anyone would have a hard time arguing that Avery wouldn't earn a 4 mil contract next year if he was healthy, but I have some serious qualms about that happening 3 years down the road, especially since there might be a heavy vet turnover/youth infusion over the next two years.

If I was Sather I'd try to sell him on a 4 mil 1 year deal. Tell him if he deserves a extension on Jan 1st he'll get one.
I 100% agree with everything you said. The length of the contract is what scares me the most; if it were a 1 or 2 year deal I would have no problem paying him 4M and asking him to earn an extension. A lot can go wrong in 4 years, especially with a Sean Avery type player who has been known to turn locker rooms sour according to many reports. It upsets me to see him go because I think we all really like him, but for that amount of money and length, I just don't see how it's wise to handcuff ourselves for a potential liability.

I just hope he winds up out West somewhere where we don't have to see him too frequently.

BlueBlooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:19 AM
NYR Viper

4 million is too much period.....he doesnt put up enough points a season and he hasnt been able to stay healthy.....and for a guy who plays the way he does that doesnt bode well

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote