HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jagr Quote - I don't like it

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2008, 09:32 AM
pld459666

vCash: 500
Jagr Quote - I don't like it

From the Daily News

"You know, money determines your position on the team - especially in the NHL," Jagr told reporters in the Czech Republic on Friday. "As a top earner, you have more respect, they treat you differently than other cheaper players. But what I pursue the most is trust.

"I've already realized that I was playing my best hockey when there was the most pressure on me. I need to hear or need to know: 'This is your team. You are the key element and it will do as you will do.' Then I can play my best hockey. And I feel I can still play on the highest level."

I'm not liking what I'm hearing. If this is how he feels, then he should find another team that's is willing to put all its eggs in his basket because that is not a winning formula.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...l_at_odds.html

Old
06-29-2008, 09:40 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
From the Daily News

"You know, money determines your position on the team - especially in the NHL," Jagr told reporters in the Czech Republic on Friday. "As a top earner, you have more respect, they treat you differently than other cheaper players. But what I pursue the most is trust.

"I've already realized that I was playing my best hockey when there was the most pressure on me. I need to hear or need to know: 'This is your team. You are the key element and it will do as you will do.' Then I can play my best hockey. And I feel I can still play on the highest level."

I'm not liking what I'm hearing. If this is how he feels, then he should find another team that's is willing to put all its eggs in his basket because that is not a winning formula.

I agree....sounds selfish and a bit arrogant. YOU sacrifice for the team, NOT the team sacrifices for you.

Old
06-29-2008, 09:43 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Yea I did not like that quote either. He's implying that if he's not the highest paid player on a team he doesn't feel respected.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:22 AM
NYR Viper

he has to realise he isnt the only go-to guy anymore.....if its only his team then this team goes no where because it has been like that for two years....so sather went out and got help....really good help and he plays bad.....i like jagr, and i liked him while he was here, i think its time to move on

Old
06-29-2008, 10:30 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

What locker room wants to hear that ****?

disappointing and Im a big JJ fan. Was this a translation? Direct quote in English?

Old
06-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Synergy27

This all makes me wonder, most of us assumed that Jagr was holding back during the regular season because he was saving it for the playoffs. But, is it possible that he put a self-imposed "points cap" on himself so that his stats were more in line with his perceived "standing" on the team? This sounds ridiculous, I know, but man that quote has some awful implications and makes me seriously question whether I want the man back on Broadway.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Ash

I think

that typical NYC mentality helped Leetch and Richter and Graves win a Stanley Cup in 1994... Or was it a Manitoba mentality? Maybe be an Albuquerque mentality? Who knows? But it sure couldn't be a NYC mentality.... Oh wait, the Rangers have made the playoffs three straight years. Enough said.

On Jagr, we might need to move on. It would be a difficult transition process without him, but sometimes you take a step back to take a step forward.

I don't think we miss the playoffs for sure without him. I think we'd be in the mix for the 8th spot or so.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:34 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

I see nothing wrong with these commments.

First of all we don't know what the question was...we only know the quote...

Second we don't know if this was translated...things do get lost in translation.....just ask Bill Murray..

Third most star players have egos...Jagr isn't just a star playing the czech republic he is an icon...he is also talking about needing management stroking his ego not the players looking at him diffrently...think of the audience he is talking too..

A top 10 all time player looking for respect in dollars....is this something new in sports?

If the Rangers don't have Jagr next year and Gomez has to shoulder the burden for the offense we are in major trouble. Jagr got pounded last year by other teams top defenseman...Can Gomez handle that and be productive?

If Sather talked to Jagr over the past two months or so this wouldn't be an issue..That's Jagrs major gripe with the Rangers (from everything else that i've read) and Jagr has a point.

Sather letting everybody twist in the wind could backfire in the Rangers face.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:35 AM
The New Originals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario Lemieux View Post
This all makes me wonder, most of us assumed that Jagr was holding back during the regular season because he was saving it for the playoffs. But, is it possible that he put a self-imposed "points cap" on himself so that his stats were more in line with his perceived "standing" on the team? This sounds ridiculous, I know, but man that quote has some awful implications and makes me seriously question whether I want the man back on Broadway.
It's not that ridiculous of an idea, to be honest. He probably did.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
that typical NYC mentality helped Leetch and Richter and Graves win a Stanley Cup in 1994... Or was it a Manitoba mentality? Maybe be an Albuquerque mentality? Who knows? But it sure couldn't be a NYC mentality.... Oh wait, the Rangers have made the playoffs three straight years. Enough said.

On Jagr, we might need to move on. It would be a difficult transition process without him, but sometimes you take a step back to take a step forward.

I don't think we miss the playoffs for sure without him. I think we'd be in the mix for the 8th spot or so.
I think without Jagr the team is still strong......given they come out on July 1st and fill holes WHICH I am totally confident they will

This is NY and players want to come here....................so if Jags goes it's ok..........their is Gomez and Drury to lead the team and TONS of good young talent which is the real key...............Looking forward to another yr of Dubi and Dawes maturing and cycling in some more Hartford guys

Old
06-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Caseus
squirrelly wrath

I'm not sure what's so surprising about this quote. Jagr has always needed to be THE GUY. When he is, he gives it his all. When he's not, he's unhappy.

Given the talent on the Rangers, he's not guaranteed to be the most important person on the team anymore. Either Sather pays him -- and treats him -- as such, or he lets Jagr walk.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:37 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
From the Daily News

That is really dissappointing to hear from Jagr. Specifically this part.......

"I need to hear or need to know: 'This is your team. You are the key element and it will do as you will do.' Then I can play my best hockey. "

Your a professional athlete, you shouldn't need someone stroking your ego in order for you to perform at a high level.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Avy*

Oh please... this is NHL. Teams and fans treat players like slaves you can forget about loyalty.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:40 AM
frankthefrowner

Quote:

I dont neccesarilly agree with that. He was honestly rather medicore last year, he clearly has lost a couple steps speed wise. As long as he is here the offense will be running through him. Maybe with him out of here we can just focus on a more balanced attack...Personally i think the power play imrpoves without guys playing the get the puck to jagr game so he can pass it back to us.

Maybe take his 6+ mil and get a couple decent wingers for more than just one line and we might see a major improvement. Then who knows in '09 we try and sign Ilya if we feel we need that type of guy.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
I dont neccesarilly agree with that. He was honestly rather medicore last year, he clearly has lost a couple steps speed wise. As long as he is here the offense will be running through him. Maybe with him out of here we can just focus on a more balanced attack...Personally i think the power play imrpoves without guys playing the get the puck to jagr game so he can pass it back to us.

Maybe take his 6+ mil and get a couple decent wingers for more than just one line and we might see a major improvement. Then who knows in '09 we try and sign Ilya if we feel we need that type of guy.
He wasn't the Jagr we all know and love last year (until the playoffs and 2nd half of the season) and that Jagr is probably gone.

Now let's say he declines some more this year, he still is probably a 60 point forward. I don't know where those 60 points are going to come from.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I'm not buying any of it until Jags returns to NYC tomorrow and we hear from him first hand.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:52 AM
likea

Now can you all understand why Pittsburgh fans boo the guy. He pulled the same BS in Pittsburgh when Mario un-retired. me, me, me is all Jagr wants to hear about. I love jagr the hockey player but Jagr the person is a jack^&(

Old
06-29-2008, 10:53 AM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
He wasn't the Jagr we all know and love last year (until the playoffs and 2nd half of the season) and that Jagr is probably gone.

Now let's say he declines some more this year, he still is probably a 60 point forward. I don't know where those 60 points are going to come from.
I appreciate what hes done for this team, he brought it back from the dead. But i dont think he will be a 60 point forward next year and with him wanting 2-3 years it would only get worse. Sometimes its just time to let go.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:55 AM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

i just dont get him... where would he go where he will be "THE" man? most competitive teams already have their guys... he would just be another piece. unless he wants big bucks from a team that is out of it.

i hate how he became.. money does this to some people i guess.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:58 AM
jagrgodr

Jagr kinda has a point. Even though he will be 37, he will probably be the best player on the team. Shouldnt your captain and best player on the team get paid the most? Isnt that the point of salaries, you pay the best players the most? I dont think theres any way he should get paid less than scott and chris.. they are trash compared to Jagr.

You want to keep a top 5 player in NHL history?

When he is made the leader and the man (think of the 05 season) look at where that got him. He broke all your silly new york rangers records without drury or gomez.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:14 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrgodr View Post
Jagr kinda has a point. Even though he will be 37, he will probably be the best player on the team. Shouldnt your captain and best player on the team get paid the most? Isnt that the point of salaries, you pay the best players the most? I dont think theres any way he should get paid less than scott and chris.. they are trash compared to Jagr.

You want to keep a top 5 player in NHL history?

When he is made the leader and the man (think of the 05 season) look at where that got him. He broke all your silly new york rangers records without drury or gomez.
If Jagr truly loves NY and really wants to come back and help this team, he should realize that he isn't the same player he used to be and should take a cut of pay. That doesn't change the fact if you are the best player or not but he should be conscious of the fact that he is on the down slope and that other guys need a chance to lead this team.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:15 AM
dank

eh, he's being honest/joking and who cares?

people are a bit too sensitive

Old
06-29-2008, 11:17 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
From the Daily News

Here is a translation of a condensed transcript which appears on the DNES web site. They blended certain responses into one.
http://hockeyrodent.com/R2035.HTM

Old
06-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

this strikes me as a quote indicating Jagr got lowballed. His point is probably something along the lines of if he is the best player on the team he should be making more than Gomez and Drury.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:25 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario Lemieux View Post
No. He hit many a post, missed net, set guys up with gimmees and they missed.

Closed Thread