HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Slats letting Avery talk to teams early

Old
06-29-2008, 10:20 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
That 4 year, 16 million dollar figure has been floating around for quite a while with regards to Avery.

Thats quite absurd for a borderline top 6 forward thats more skilled at being a pest and is more trouble than hes worth off the ice...not to mention injury prone due to his style of play. I wouldve offered 3 years 10 million, and it sounds like thats the neighborhood that Sather is staying around.....and good for him. With the recent news that Jagr is seeking a 2-3 year deal, Im glad that Sather is sticking to his guns for now...but it certainly seems like he'll have to pull a rabbit out of his hat come July 1st to secure the top two lines.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
Wow. I like how everybody turns on the guy so heavily for a "measley" million over what he should likely be at. If THAT's the issue, it certainly isnt much of one.. considering how much we are/have thrown/are throwing at other guys.... like Drury, Holik, etc etc.

So he should likely wind up getting 3.2 - 3.5. 4 isnt a whole hell of a lot more, considering. Would we pay it in an ideal world? No, but, say what you will, Avery's a gamer at the end of the day.

To think HE's the reason we haven't shot past the second round is absolutely ridiculous.

Might as well blame that on Girardi and Tyutin too, considering its not their fault, either.

This board is getting more ridiculous by the day.

With no more Shannahan to keep Avery in check, then no thank you on 4 million a year for 4 years to a potential ccccaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnncccccceeeeerrrrrrr.

Hes a great player and would love to have him back at 2.5-3 for 3 years but not worth it.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:31 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Sean Avery played a game with a lacerated spleen, is his "effort" even a discussion? Are we really that obtuse that we think a player is going to player EVERY shift of EVERY game without making mistakes?

I don't think i'd go 4 years with Avery but if the markets is $4M a year it might just be worth it..

I'm not sure what Sather is doing and if (Avery aside) Sather even has a concrete plan...

Avery already has "enemies" in his own dressing room? Really? lets see some quotes from teammates that even HINT at that...Also that stuff shouldn't matter to us, it may make for a good topic on the board (if ever proven true) but it doesn't effect the product on the ice...what we SEE! Has Avery ever not backed up one of his teamates? Did Avery let anybody get away with running our players last season?

If the Rangers let Avery go (which it looks like they are) I give the same people that don't want him back until the 2nd game of the Prague trip before they tell us how important Avery is to the team. These games aren't played on paper...this isn't an EHM simulation....a top 6 forward...A top 9 forward that does everything Avery does is hard to come by....Avery is going to look like a bargain for whoever signs him...

Oh but SoS what if he becomes such a distraction we'll have him for 4 more years? Yup, but what's that thing called where you swap a player for um...another player...or a draft pick...Oh yeah a trade!! But SoS what if a team doesn't want to trade for Avery? What's that thing called where you can designate a player and all teams can claim him and if they don't you can send the player to the minors and his contract doesn't count against the cap......oh yeah waivers!!
Very well said SoS.

I have been saying it for a few weeks now and I'll say it again, letting Avery walk will be the single biggest mistake we have made since the lockout as an organization.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:49 AM
frankthefrowner

Like someone said if Averys schtick worked all the time i wouldnt hesitate. But it doesnt, it was inaffective against both Buffalo and then Pens before he got hurt. Some teams fall for his crap (Devils/Leafs), others ignore him and he becomes rather invisible. If this was 5 years ago with no cap i would throw Holiks contract at him and not blink, but its not and we can't.

We have many holes to fill this year and in the future thankfully we should have some top tier talent to sign Long term(Staal/Dubi), you all would go ape **** if Averys contract was standing in the way of us keep Staal or Dubinsky. You must plan for the future as well as today, that's something the Leafs learned the hardway, ask them how Darcy's contract worked out for them....

Sign Cooke/Jarkko and call it a day, or just let Byers/Hollwegg take his Roll.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Would you guy do 3 years for 11? I love Avery but one 4 years from now will he be at all effective in the NHL with the way the league is moving. And 4 million for a guy like him just doesn't seem the way to go.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
The record don't lie. Its curious, but in the end w/o Avery in the lineup the Rangers miss the playoffs.
Using a win/loss record is misleading. You could say the same thing about Marek Malik, but you're not going to claim he's the reason the Rangers made the playoffs the last few years, are you?

Of course not. But according to the same stats, he is the reason.

Get the point?

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 11:10 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The Rangers went hot down the stretch two years straight because their backs were against the wall. Not because of Sean Avery. He is in no way worth 4 million per, let him walk.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 11:18 AM
dank

Sather is playing it smart.

the way that Avery will stay is if he realizes his options at his asking price are limited/non-existent and that NYC/NYR is the best place for him. Why not let him realize it better and earlier?

on the other hand, if another team locks him in at a higher/stupid price, why not get rid of the head-ache (of negotiating/waiting, etc) earlier and make more room/time for other players and priorities..

Smart move by Sather.

i'm kind of ready for the "nasty" comments that Avery is going to make when he signs for another team. but the thing is very few other teams will put up with him, good luck Sean.

think about it and stay in NY if you know what's good for you.

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 11:19 AM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
Sign Cooke/Jarkko and call it a day, or just let Byers/Hollwegg take his Roll.
never.. never.. never.. never.. never..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 11:23 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

What exactly did Avery do last year that warrants a $2.1 million increase in salary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
never.. never.. never.. never.. never..
Yep, as long as Jagr is a Ranger, then Ruutu will never ever be here.

EDIT: Whoops, Brain fart, $2.1 million increase

Last edited by WhipNash27: 06-29-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old
06-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
What exactly did Avery do last year that warrants a $2.9 million increase in salary?
disappeared in the 2nd round again?

Old
06-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Sean Avery played a game with a lacerated spleen, is his "effort" even a discussion? Are we really that obtuse that we think a player is going to player EVERY shift of EVERY game without making mistakes?

I don't think i'd go 4 years with Avery but if the markets is $4M a year it might just be worth it..

I'm not sure what Sather is doing and if (Avery aside) Sather even has a concrete plan...

Avery already has "enemies" in his own dressing room? Really? lets see some quotes from teammates that even HINT at that...Also that stuff shouldn't matter to us, it may make for a good topic on the board (if ever proven true) but it doesn't effect the product on the ice...what we SEE! Has Avery ever not backed up one of his teamates? Did Avery let anybody get away with running our players last season?

If the Rangers let Avery go (which it looks like they are) I give the same people that don't want him back until the 2nd game of the Prague trip before they tell us how important Avery is to the team. These games aren't played on paper...this isn't an EHM simulation....a top 6 forward...A top 9 forward that does everything Avery does is hard to come by....Avery is going to look like a bargain for whoever signs him...

Oh but SoS what if he becomes such a distraction we'll have him for 4 more years? Yup, but what's that thing called where you swap a player for um...another player...or a draft pick...Oh yeah a trade!! But SoS what if a team doesn't want to trade for Avery? What's that thing called where you can designate a player and all teams can claim him and if they don't you can send the player to the minors and his contract doesn't count against the cap......oh yeah waivers!!
Thats basically the same summarization I was attempting to get at.

I agree entirely with this.

Re-sign Avery. Naysayers be damned. Naysayers, actually, probably know **** about hockey if they cant see what the guy brings to the ice, night in, and night out.

Cynical TyranT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
disappeared in the 2nd round again?
yeah, HE disappeared in the second round... not the defense.

Jesus Christ... do you even know the crap your posting?

This year, Avery's stats:

57 GP 15 G 18 A 33 P 154 PIM

Last year, with LA and NYR totalled up:

84 GP 18 G 30 A 48 P 174 PIM

That doesnt take into account how many penalties he's DRAWN

In his previous years in LA, he'd played 75 and 76 games... he gets injured THIS year, and he's injury prone? He's logged less PIM's each year of his career... has shown no tendency of being a lockerroom problem in his NYR tenure...

Ive said it before... this board is getting more ridiculous by the day.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:49 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:

In his previous years in LA, he'd played 75 and 76 games... he gets injured THIS year, and he's injury prone? He's logged less PIM's each year of his career... has shown no tendency of being a lockerroom problem in his NYR tenure...

Ive said it before... this board is getting more ridiculous by the day.
So where does the $2.1 million raise come from?

Old
06-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
Good. 4 years at $16 mill, HA.

What a joke.
I heard earlier that Chicago was willing to offer him something similar.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

He is my absolute favorite player, but even I wouldn't give him that. Many people here think it is a stretch but I would give him 3.5.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
So where does the $2.1 million raise come from?
Inflation.

The cap's up, everybody else is getting paid more... he gets market value.

Why's your gas 4 bucks a gallon?

Deal with it. He'd get 3.2 in the perfect world we dont exist in.

He'll likely get 3.8 when its all said and done.

Ooooooh, 600,000 grand. Lose sleep over it.

better than pissing away 7 million on Campbell or 9 on Hossa.... I guarantee that much. It makes more sense to use what we've got going on right now... play this year out.. let the kids develop... then look for a big 09 draft and to grab up one of the better UFAs that year.

For now, we've got the cash... Avery's at least done everything he could do, and then some... which is more than can be said about other guys we've had/could have

Old
06-29-2008, 12:22 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

For that kinda contract, im happy they arent negotiating.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 12:32 PM
Turambar

Quote:

How about you get off my ****?

I don't care what you say, he disappeared in the 2nd round again this year, just like he did last year. Regular season stats has nothing to do with this, if the guy can't be effective against all teams, he's not worth the money he wants.

Why do you care so much what other people think? This is a forum for discussion, isn't it? You don't like what I have to say? That's too ****ing bad.

Old
06-29-2008, 12:48 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

With the way the cap is increasing, 4 mil will be nothing soon. I'd give it to him, but I more then understand why most people and Slats don't want to. I really just hope he goes to the Western Conference, and we only have to play him once.

Rock on Avery, you were a great player to watch on Broadway

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 12:58 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

In his previous years in LA, he'd played 75 and 76 games... he gets injured THIS year, and he's injury prone? He's logged less PIM's each year of his career... has shown no tendency of being a lockerroom problem in his NYR tenure...Ive said it before... this board is getting more ridiculous by the day.
how do you know this is true?......are you in the locker room?.....

people are pissing and moaning all over the place for not signing malone because he has put up what 55 points?...has a great attitude, gritty, fights, and more.....avery wasnt healthy last year.....period....look at it without yous "i love sean avery glasses on"......if rozsival hadnt played 30 games last year he wouldnt be looking for much of a raise.....i understand what your saying....i like avery a lot and i love what he brings to the team and the game....however in this type of decision where he has had problems in the locker room before i leave the decision to the people who are around him all the time.....if they dont think he is worth it then i will agree, if they do then great he has turned a corner

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
How about you get off my ****?

I don't care what you say, he disappeared in the 2nd round again this year, just like he did last year. Regular season stats has nothing to do with this, if the guy can't be effective against all teams, he's not worth the money he wants.

Why do you care so much what other people think? This is a forum for discussion, isn't it? You don't like what I have to say? That's too ****ing bad.
I don't think any player is ever "effective" at all times but that's besides the point..

Avery played 2 games healthy and 1 game with a LACERATED SPLEEN. I'd be the first guy to say he didn't play well against Buffalo in 07 but it's a little bit of a stretch to call him out for his play this past playoff year.....

Also if we are going to call Avery out for lacluster play in a playoff series how bout his series against the Devils? Do the Rangers beat the Devils without Avery? Probably not..Is that an indictment on the entire TEAM? It probably is...eitherway Avery has value to the Rangers or to whoever he signs with....
we can call guys overpaid but it only takes one owner to write the check.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Inflation.

The cap's up, everybody else is getting paid more... he gets market value.
plus UFAs always get paid more.

Old
06-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
I wouldn't say Avery disappeared in the 2nd round at all besides the fact that, you know, he lacerated his ****ing spleen.

He had 2 points in 3 games, the only game where he didn't get a point the entire team was shutout. He pissed off MAF at the end of Game 2 as well. Just because he wasn't as effective as round 1 doesn't mean he "disappeared". He missed the last two games of the playoffs yet he still ended up with more points than people like Drury, Shanahan and Dawes.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote