1. bob will make a run for it, and get aggressive with trade if need be
2. bob will not trade away our 1st round pick, as many leaf fans hope, the draft is in mtl, so why would he.
3. if mats does not come, bob has i bet another centre lined up, on his radar for a trade.
4. hossa will get called by mtl, for sure, even if mats signs, but hossa will be hard to land.
5. breeze by will not be back, thank goodness.
1. I agree, but I think he will exhaust all UFA possibilities before going this route.
2. I'm with you on this one, I think our 09 1st stays with us. The only way it moves is for a trade after July 1st for a superstar.
3. I don't think there are too many top line C's available even for trade, unless Gainey would be willing to way over pay. I still think if we don't get Sundin, Morrison is a definite possibility.
4. I think within 30 seconds after the start of the UFA period. Gainey will be on the phone with Hossa/Agent if Sundin doesn't sign. I don't know if financially we'd be able to balance both Sundin and Hossa.
From what I've been reading, there is possibly 10 teams or more interested in Hossa, so I agree it will be incredibly tough to sign him.
5. As for right now I don't think Breezer is coming back. But it wouldn't surprise me if Bob re-signed him late in the off-season like he did last year for added insurance.
__________________ To me, Desharnais is like pop/radio music. No matter how hard I try, I just can't like him. - PyrettaBlaze
Mats Sundin's indecision about where or if he will play next season continued for another day yesterday, while on another front, speculation is hot over the possibility of former standout goalie Curtis Joseph returning to the Maple Leafs when the NHL free-agent market opens Tuesday.
J.P. Barry, Sundin's agent, conveyed in a brief email yesterday that the Leafs captain still hasn't decided on his plans for next season.
The Montreal Canadiens, who acquired exclusive negotiating rights to Sundin from the Leafs until July 1, have reportedly left Sundin highly impressed with the organization.Leafs GM Cliff Fletcher has asked Sundin for a decision this weekend so that the franchise can be prepared for the start of the free-agent market.
Depending on which of his friends you believe, Sundin is not really enamoured with the supposed frontrunners, Montreal and Detroit, would consider the New York Rangers or Florida Panthers, but is also having trouble coming to grips with a final divorce from the Leafs.
And the agent is the one directly quoted in the RDS reports.
I just finished reading the RDS report from yesterday and TheStar report from today. The Sun (like Habs4Lyfe says) would be going to the bottom of my bird cage if I had one.
From reading both of those reports, and putting a little common sense into the equation. My hopes of Gainey and Sundin being able to work out a deal before the July 1st negotiation deadline have faded quite a bit.
But since Sundin's agent isn't quoted as saying that negotiations have come to a stand still, there is still a flicker of hope.