HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Would We Have To Pay For Stoll?

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2008, 10:04 AM
BigHab*

vCash: 500
What Would We Have To Pay For Stoll?

If the Habs are unable to land Sundin and, since Gainey is looking for a center, I personally think Jarret Stoll would be a good fit for the Habs. He is fairly young, great skater, can put the puck in the net, is great in the faceoff circle, would love our offensive system and has played with several of our younger guys in Hamilton. The question is: what do you think Gainey would have to give up to get him in a trade? Thoughts?

Old
06-29-2008, 10:07 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHab View Post
If the Habs are unable to land Sundin and, since Gainey is looking for a center, I personally think Jarret Stoll would be a good fit for the Habs. He is fairly young, great skater, can put the puck in the net, is great in the faceoff circle, would love our offensive system and has played with several of our younger guys in Hamilton. The question is: what do you think Gainey would have to give up to get him in a trade? Thoughts?
Stoll would be a good depth centre, but we have a lot of those aready and he has concussion problems and not to mention is a major drop off in value and player to Sundin.

Stoll is a compliment player, not a major player.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:08 AM
sampollock

stoll is good,

agreed this team needs a A1 big time centre, and hard to come by.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Stoll would be a good depth centre, but we have a lot of those aready and he has concussion problems and not to mention is a major drop off in value and player to Sundin.

Stoll is a compliment player, not a major player.
I totally agree, but if we aren't able to get Sundin. He might be a nice addition to center our 3rd line and play the point on the PP.

I don't know how serious his concussion problems are. But I do know it makes me nervous whenever I hear the C word.

The Oilers seem to have a lot of good young players through out their line-up. So I'm not sure what we could offer up in a trade that would interest them.

06-29-2008, 10:19 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I totally agree, but if we aren't able to get Sundin. He might be a nice addition to center our 3rd line and play the point on the PP.

I don't know how serious his concussion problems are. But I do know it makes me nervous whenever I hear the C word.

The Oilers seem to have a lot of good young players through out their line-up. So I'm not sure what we could offer up in a trade that would interest them.
But how many 3rd line centre's does a team need?

Old
06-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
But how many 3rd line centre's does a team need?
I don't think we really do have a center that could be considered a true 3rd line C.
I like both Grabs and Chips, but the thought of either playing on the 3rd line full time doesn't have me doing jumping jacks. Other than that I don't know who else we could slide into that role, unless Gainey decides to re-sign Smoke.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
If we can't get Sundin I'd like to see Grabovski get a legitimate shot with some good line mates.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
If we can't get Sundin I'd like to see Grabovski get a legitimate shot with some good line mates.
Linemates won't keep Grabovsky on his skates or on the puck.

If we don't get Sundin, I prefer getting a FA winger and putting Higgins at center...that way you don't lose any assets or screw the chemistry.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:28 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
I don't think we really do have a center that could be considered a true 3rd line C.
I like both Grabs and Chips, but the thought of either playing on the 3rd line full time doesn't have me doing jumping jacks. Other than that I don't know who else we could slide into that role, unless Gainey decides to re-sign Smoke.
Please no more Smoke!!

I agree our third line centres at this stage are 4th line centres in Chip, Lappy and Grabs. Of the 3 Chip has the most potential to be a 3rd liner, Lappy doesn't possess the two-way play or hockey sense to play that role and Grabs is too small and his game is one dimensional making him a player more likely as a add in or in the pressbox.

Stoll would be nice, but if all works out Sundin will be #1...who is our #2 Pleks or Koivu and who is the 3rd line then too??? Something I'm willing to live with that's for sure!!

Old
06-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Garnet

Sundin

Im all for Sundin but if the Habs don't land him, Im fine with a Stoll, Fedorov type center. We don't need a 70 pt center (but it would be great) we already are #1 in offensive and added Tanguay.
Montreal needs a center who can win face offs is solid in his own end, and can put a few pucks in the net. So more of a goal scoring center than a playmaking one. Stoll fits this mold.
Stoll play 81 games last year and had 36 pts on a young and inexperienced Oilers club. I think playing with say Higgin and Kosts Jr. 50 pts is not out of the question as he produced 68pts two seasons ago. And his 6'1 210 LBS and gritty.

Fedorov is 38, and had 41pts in 68 games. A great two player and excellent on faceoffs. Can play he point on the PP and is a good PKer. I think a Sergi would add leadership and valued championships. I thing Montreal would be an excellent fit for him.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
I like Grabovski, he's quite an exciting player to watch. I'm just not sold he has exactly what we need. But I do agree that if the plan is to use him, that he gets a more than fair shot with some good line mates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Linemates won't keep Grabovsky on his skates or on the puck.

If we don't get Sundin, I prefer getting a FA winger and putting Higgins at center...that way you don't lose any assets or screw the chemistry.
I really didn't like what I saw from Higgins when he played center while Koivu was out. I would much rather keep him on the wing.

Quote:
Please no more Smoke!!

I agree our third line centres at this stage are 4th line centres in Chip, Lappy and Grabs. Of the 3 Chip has the most potential to be a 3rd liner, Lappy doesn't possess the two-way play or hockey sense to play that role and Grabs is too small and his game is one dimensional making him a player more likely as a add in or in the pressbox.

Stoll would be nice, but if all works out Sundin will be #1...who is our #2 Pleks or Koivu and who is the 3rd line then too??? Something I'm willing to live with that's for sure!!
Lol...I don't want Smoke back either. But out of Grabs/Chips/Smoke, Smoke might be the best 2 way player. The 3rd line C position will eventually be Chip's, but I don't think he's quite there yet.

As for if we sign Sundin, I really don't think it will matter who is the #2 or #3 C. As I think Gainey will divide the time between the top 3 lines fairly even.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:50 AM
superstar436

I wanted stoll for 3rd line cman on the trading ddline. He is 6'2 - 205 lbs. Very good skater, 2 way player, and can put it 15g + 30 assists. He gets paid 2.25 and last yr of contract I think. As for consussion problems, I think chipps had one in the minors and higgins also, so ...

they will want a young cheap player. they will ask for skosty which is a no way. I will give chipps

Old
06-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar436 View Post
I wanted stoll for 3rd line cman on the trading ddline. He is 6'2 - 205 lbs. Very good skater, 2 way player, and can put it 15g + 30 assists. He gets paid 2.25 and last yr of contract I think. As for consussion problems, I think chipps had one in the minors and higgins also, so ...

they will want a young cheap player. they will ask for skosty which is a no way. I will give chipps
I agree that Sergei would be a definite no. As for Chips, if we were able to sign Stoll to a reasonable contract extension. I would definitely consider that.

Old
06-29-2008, 12:02 PM
redmachine54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Higgins hasn't played center full-time in almost three years, nor was he using his offensive game in the games he was tried at center. He seems to revert to defense-mode as soon as he hits the face-off dot, and doesn't use any of his strengths -- like his strength along the boards -- at center because he can't.

Old
06-29-2008, 12:18 PM
MaKi

Personally if we can't get a center who is arguably a 1st line player then I say we just go with what we have.
I would rather see Chipchura centering the 3rd line then putting money on a guy to fill the spot.

Old
06-29-2008, 12:31 PM
robbiezyg

vCash: 1234
I am just pointing out, stoll had a concussion once that ended his 06/07 campaign midway through.

Old
06-29-2008, 12:33 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
i wouldnt call Stoll a "great skater". hes very stiff and more of a north/south skater. isnt very agile. once he gets going he has some decent enough speed for a strong forecheck/backcheck though.

hes one of the more awkward forwards skating wise but it doesnt inhibit him much or slow him down. just speaking from the outside, i think everyone else is correct in saying that Stoll isnt want the Habs need.

Old
06-29-2008, 12:34 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Quote:
I agree that Sergei would be a definite no. As for Chips, if we were able to sign Stoll to a reasonable contract extension. I would definitely consider that.

i wouldnt. Chips is going to be a better 3rd line center in the future. i would rather we hang onto him.

Old
06-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by x eric x View Post
i wouldnt. Chips is going to be a better 3rd line center in the future. i would rather we hang onto him.
Chips has shown a lot of promise, and he is definitely one of my favorites. But it is still too early to jump the gun and just assume that he will be better than Stoll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
i wouldnt call Stoll a "great skater". hes very stiff and more of a north/south skater. isnt very agile. once he gets going he has some decent enough speed for a strong forecheck/backcheck though.

hes one of the more awkward forwards skating wise but it doesnt inhibit him much or slow him down. just speaking from the outside, i think everyone else is correct in saying that Stoll isnt want the Habs need.
I'll agree that he isn't and shouldn't be the #1 option for the Habs. But to say that he wouldn't fill a need (Big center, right handed shot, good PP point man), is wrong IMO.

Old
06-29-2008, 09:43 PM
Beakermania*

The question was answered; you would've had to give a top PP dman....

I wasn't giving up Markov for Stoll

Closed Thread