HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr Quote - I don't like it

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2008, 11:26 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
this strikes me as a quote indicating Jagr got lowballed. His point is probably something along the lines of if he is the best player on the team he should be making more than Gomez and Drury.

That might just not be possible. It happens. The business doesnt always match up with the hierarchy of the room. Theres some ebb and flow. No one doubts Jagrs credentials. Except perhaps , Jagr

06-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Levitate

I think most of you are overreacting to a fairly innocuous quote

what star player doesn't want to be treated as such? what good is having a star player if you don't allow him to be the star player? There's no point in having a player like Jagr if you're going to treat him like a third liner

Old
06-29-2008, 11:29 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Man its hot and humid in NYC today. Maybe Uncle Glen will skip golf and get this done.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Even at 37, Jagr is still probably the best player on this team, slightly ahead of Gomez based on the matchups he draws and the respect he still demands. Gomez is making over 7 million per...Jagr made over 9 last season and while hes clearly no longer worth that, shouldnt he still fall into the same slot as Gomez?

I've seen proposals on here to re-sign Jagr to a 1 year, 4.5 million + bonuses. I mean, thats a slap in the face.

All I know is that the Rangers have made the playoffs the last 3 year with Jagr on the roster. And Im worried about the crap on the FA market beyond Hossa and Sundin if we don't resign Jagr. Sorry, but the Rolstons and the Ryders of the word still couldnt hold Jagr's jock.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Hell Yeah!!!

Jagr has always been about money and respect, in that order. That's not necessarily a very bad thing, it is what it is.

If I was him and had a 1yr offer for less than $7M, I would be pissed too.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:56 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I'm not going to even respond to this because it's just too absurdly stupid and not worth it

Jagr - Yeah, those quotes aren't exactly reassuring. If we were to bring him back it would mean he'd have to handle being a part of this team, not this team. I honestly think Sather already told him he's not that valuable to the team anymore
I don't think the New York statement was at all unfounded. Of course, it's not all of us, not even most of us. But NYC has a pretty big population of glamour-obsessed, self-proclaimed stars (they're usually Midwestern immigrants ). Everyone's walking somewhere but we all have blinders on it and we seem to be in it for ourselves. Still great people though...

Nonetheless, I thought it was actually a pretty good observation.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:57 AM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Yeah!!! View Post
Jagr has always been about money and respect, in that order. That's not necessarily a very bad thing, it is what it is.

If I was him and had a 1yr offer for less than $7M, I would be pissed too.
It's clearly not in that order because he would be playing in Omsk... And there is no debating that.

He feels that the amount of money he gets paid equates to the level of respect he'll get on the team.

Jagr is the best on the team and it would stand to reason that he's getting lowballed.

It sucks right now because it doesn't seem like there is any way to convince him that he's the best player and he'll be treated as such minus the money.

Old
D713B

As for the quote....

I don't really see why it's causing such a stir. I don't think he's attempting to insult anyone, lets not forget this is a translation. Words like "cheaper" more than likely weren't meant with the connotation most are interpreting it with. It does sound bad upon first review but digest it first. Also I don't understand how people are now discussing his salary and that he wants money. Where did that come from? He made no mention of it being about the money or that he wants some inordinate sum. In fact he blatantly said it was simply about respect and trust. As for the "I need to hear this is my team" part I think he was simply trying to say he needs to hear that just to raise his level of play. That he works best under great pressure. It's a motivator. Sorry folks even professional athletes need motivation. Their human. I doubt he means that the entire club needs to bow to the Jagr altar. I believe we're overreacting folks.

Old
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrgodr View Post
Jagr kinda has a point. Even though he will be 37, he will probably be the best player on the team. Shouldnt your captain and best player on the team get paid the most? Isnt that the point of salaries, you pay the best players the most? I dont think theres any way he should get paid less than scott and chris.. they are trash compared to Jagr.

You want to keep a top 5 player in NHL history?

When he is made the leader and the man (think of the 05 season) look at where that got him. He broke all your silly new york rangers records without drury or gomez.
Gomez and Drury are trash? Our silly records?

You're an idiot.

Also: Lundqvist is the best player on the team.

Old
06-29-2008, 12:11 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

This is a large part of the reason why i've been saying since they lost to pittsburgh that i want him gone.

Yes, he performed well when the pressure was on, but one of the reasons the pressure WAS on, was because HE underachieved most of the year.

Maybe he can turn it on like a switch when he wants to, but im sick of the Rangers having to waste their energy trying to make the playoffs in the last 2 months, rather then getting off to a nice rolling start and maybe claiming a division title for once.

Last year this team was leaps and bounds better than the Devils IMO and they wound up behind them in the standings for the year. While I wont take away the Devils work ethic and their solid overachievement last year, the fact that the Rangers underachieved with the play of Jagr being the biggest reason - I dont want this to happen again, for the 3rd straight year.

These quotes are selfish, and he's always been coddled in NY - so why should it be any different. Thsi is what has been wrong with this team. You want a leader, but not someone who says in a round about way that "cheaper players don't deserve as much respect or trust".

Teams win championships, not individuals. I want to steer away from that mentality, as much as Jagr impressed everyone last season. If he wants that trust hes not going to get it here when Sather signs him to a one year deal. If Sather is stupid enough to sign him to a two year deal it will be a disaster, ive said it all along. This has been the underlying problem the whole time. It may have not been felt by the fans, but Jagr has always been a selfish guy he's just done a very good job of keeping himself in a different light.

Sather was smart. He waited to see how Jagr really feels - and he got the quotes from his mouth he wanted. Now he can go in another direction and i hope hes smart enough to do so.

Old
06-29-2008, 12:44 PM
eco's bones

I think this is a little overblown--I think also it might be frustration speaking on Jagr's part not knowing why the team he has led back into the playoffs the past 3 seasons seems to be ignoring him. Many of us don't know why either and I don't think there's much dispute that he's been the teams best and most valuable player over that stretch--at least not counting goaltenders. In any case a lot of things get said sometimes when two sides are not understanding each other very well--case in point Avery and Sather last year.

Old
06-29-2008, 12:56 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
A lot is lost in translation as well I'm sure. People who watch their every word usually wind up saying the wrong things.

Old
06-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

You'd think after being raked over the coals a bunch of times throughout his career for making dumb comments to the media, Jagr would eventually stop doing it. I guess not.

Old
06-29-2008, 01:08 PM
NY Ranger86

we are screwed without him.

Jagr + the right people = Stanley Cup

Old
06-29-2008, 01:10 PM
NY Ranger86

Quote:
Sorry, but the Rolstons and the Ryders of the word still couldnt hold Jagr's jock.
THANK YOU!

we can't replace Jagr, be careful what you wish for.

Old
06-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Man its hot and humid in NYC today. Maybe Uncle Glen will skip golf and get this done.
Slats will never skip a round of golf silly. I think he has two more games for Tommorrow and Tuesday....i could be wrong

Old
06-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Would rather have Hossa near $8M than Jagr who will either command more than Gomez is making, or be unhappy because he is not, and play like it.

Old
06-29-2008, 01:37 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
we are screwed without him.

Jagr + the right people = Stanley Cup

He had the right people for two years. How did that work out? They basically built the team around him.

So you want to try that again? Build around someone who will retire in 2 years? A 38 year old in 2010?

Thats piss-poor management.

I find little reason to believe that signing him will get the Rangers closer to a championship.

Old
06-29-2008, 01:44 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
You'd think after being raked over the coals a bunch of times throughout his career for making dumb comments to the media, Jagr would eventually stop doing it. I guess not.
Even though I'm sure this is what most all-stars are thinking anyway, I agree that it was idiotic of him to go out and say something like that. Sometimes you just gotta keep your mouth shut. I thought bringing him back was pretty much the best choice we had, but now I'm more ambivalent than ever

Old
06-29-2008, 01:46 PM
The Thomas J.*

Jagr could have avoided all of this by playing harder ecery night & hiting his point totals to trigger his option.

If he walks so be it. It's a cap world nowm he needs to deal with it.

Old
06-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Hasta La Vista Jagr. Now I can see into the future.

July 1st, 2008. 1:30 pm EST

New York Rangers have agreed on a contract with Mats Sundin, More to Follow.

Old
06-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Entrancemperium

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
Hasta La Vista Jagr. Now I can see into the future.

July 1st, 2008. 1:30 pm EST

New York Rangers have agreed on a contract with Mats Sundin, More to Follow.
if jagr walks we won't be signing Sundin, we'll be signing Hossa

Old
06-29-2008, 02:36 PM
NYR Viper

if jagr wanted all of his money he should have plkayed hard all year long and gotten to his bonuses.....he is 37....i like him, but if he isnt willing to be a PART of the team and not THE team, then goodbye......thank you for your time here, we will move on in a different direction and i believe the rangers score more goals next year if jagr leaves

Old
06-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
if jagr wanted all of his money he should have plkayed hard all year long and gotten to his bonuses.....he is 37....i like him, but if he isnt willing to be a PART of the team and not THE team, then goodbye......thank you for your time here, we will move on in a different direction and i believe the rangers score more goals next year if jagr leaves
Jagr did play hard all year and he also helped a great deal with the development of our young players..

Jagr never said he wasn't willing to be part of a team structure...read his quotes again..

Jagrs role as a decoy against the other teams top defensive units was a key to the second half success for the other lines..

You can believe that the Rangers will score more goals next year but please provide us all with how you expect that to happen? I hope your right...I mean when I was a kid I believed in Santa Clause and was crushed when i found out he didn't exist...but i still got presents at christmas so I didn't REALLY care...Again I hope your right but i'd love to hear how the Rangers will accomplish this..

Old
06-29-2008, 02:57 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Jagr did play hard all year and he also helped a great deal with the development of our young players..

Jagr never said he wasn't willing to be part of a team structure...read his quotes again..

Jagrs role as a decoy against the other teams top defensive units was a key to the second half success for the other lines..

You can believe that the Rangers will score more goals next year but please provide us all with how you expect that to happen? I hope your right...I mean when I was a kid I believed in Santa Clause and was crushed when i found out he didn't exist...but i still got presents at christmas so I didn't REALLY care...Again I hope your right but i'd love to hear how the Rangers will accomplish this..
are you telling me you thought jagr was playing hard all year?....

to me and many others he looked like he was sulking and holding back....

i read his quotes and he said he wanted to be THE GUY on the team.....

im sorry, he is 37, i would never build a team around a 37 y/o player who didnt put up a point per game last season

jagrs role as a decoy was bullcrap....there were second pairings that were holding him to nothing quite often.....gill, orpik......hamrlik.....he doesnt always go against the other teams best defensive units....during a game every line goes against them....thats the point of having depth on a team

jagr had what?....72 points?....with more pp time and a better defense that can actually pass the puck to the forwards so they can build up speed and get odd man rushes you dont think say, a ryder and rolston(who would probably make as much or less than jagr) could put up more points then him?....i sure as hell do......dubinsky in his second year, dawes in his second year.....sign a pp qb and the pp improves without everyone always deferring to jagr.....i just feel like the team needs one identity....in the AHL the team is like that, they play a defensive style and are good at it.....time for the team to move on with the players they have and add a couple of pieces and they will be fine......

Closed Thread