HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr Most Likely Not Coming Back- Larry Brooks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-29-2008, 12:41 AM
  #76
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Well judging from his interview on rodents site it seems he stil wants to go to a team where he IS THE MAN. He almost said as much. If Jagr does come back he will be captain and he will be the centerpiece of this team like it or not cause he's the best player. You build your team around your best player and that is the only reason why the Rangers have been so silent up to this point.

Also reading that interview it sounds like Slats really pissed him off by not trying to contact him leading up to this.

HANK is by far the best player on the team, therefore the rangers should build from the goal out based on your argument...so defense should be the obvious choice......

for those people who think the rangers wont make the playoffs without jagr:

you do realise that almost the entire year gomez led the rangers in scring until he got hurt in philly.......jagr didnt start to score until the end of the year......time to move on, he is 36 and still wants to be THE man on the ice and doesnt give it his full effort every night....sign good defense and good defense leads to good offense.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 12:24 PM
  #77
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmarberrys View Post
I don't know about everyone else here, but I pray that this isnt true. Sather needs to realize that without Jagr this team needs too much work done to compete for the cup in the next 2 or 3 years.

The rest of our free agent group is very replaceable (besides Avery)

LETS GET TO WORK SATHER, YOU ONLY HAVE 3 DAYS!!!!!!!

Heres the link- http://www.nypost.com/seven/06282008...urn_117544.htm
I pray this is true.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 01:12 PM
  #78
NY Ranger86
Registered User
 
NY Ranger86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ryan = Cup
Posts: 921
vCash: 500
Jagr = Cup

simple.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 01:15 PM
  #79
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
Jagr = Cup

simple.
because we have won so many of those with JJ

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 01:19 PM
  #80
MidnightRanger
Registered User
 
MidnightRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
The truth is whether people like it or not, if we get rid of Jagr we are offensively done. If we couldn't score WITH him we will not score without him. There are no players available that are better than him to replace his offense. Not even Hossa. And I would hate to overpay for a player again like we did last year. Drury and Gomez NEED great offensive players around them. One because he is more a defensive player and the other is dynamic but plays out of synch with the so so talent up front this team has and for some reason plays a different game than Jaromir. But it doesn't matter cus Jaromir has Dubinsky as his new center. I think Cherepanov's playmaking style will mesh well with Gomez because they are both fast and good stickhandlers if you put someone on left wing who can occupy space and put in the garbage goals, that should be a good line when the time comes. Imagine if we could get that out of Jessiman, is that out of the realm of possibility? In the meantime we must resign Jagr to hold the fort for this team or we will not make the playoffs and we won't be bad enough to get a top 5 pick to get a real impact offensive player. Man PLEASE TANK THE SEASON FOR TAVERES! PLEASE! Imagine him and Cherepanov!!!!

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 01:35 PM
  #81
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoritystorm View Post
The truth is whether people like it or not, if we get rid of Jagr we are offensively done. If we couldn't score WITH him we will not score without him. There are no players available that are better than him to replace his offense. Not even Hossa. And I would hate to overpay for a player again like we did last year. Drury and Gomez NEED great offensive players around them. One because he is more a defensive player and the other is dynamic but plays out of synch with the so so talent up front this team has and for some reason plays a different game than Jaromir. But it doesn't matter cus Jaromir has Dubinsky as his new center. I think Cherepanov's playmaking style will mesh well with Gomez because they are both fast and good stickhandlers if you put someone on left wing who can occupy space and put in the garbage goals, that should be a good line when the time comes. Imagine if we could get that out of Jessiman, is that out of the realm of possibility? In the meantime we must resign Jagr to hold the fort for this team or we will not make the playoffs and we won't be bad enough to get a top 5 pick to get a real impact offensive player. Man PLEASE TANK THE SEASON FOR TAVERES! PLEASE! Imagine him and Cherepanov!!!!
Remind me again how many goals they scored last year?

Nobody better?

Cmon... hes not Mario cmon.


Thats the problem with some fans, they always think what seemingly worked in the past cannot be replaced.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 01:37 PM
  #82
lundy
Registered User
 
lundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,600
vCash: 500
We all knew this day would come. Look, Jagr being gone sucks because he's brought the Rangers back to respectability, but him going opens up spots for younger players, or free agents with a long-term impact. I've got mixed feelings about him going, but I feel worse about Avery going.

lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 01:39 PM
  #83
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post
We all knew this day would come. Look, Jagr being gone sucks because he's brought the Rangers back to respectability, but him going opens up spots for younger players, or free agents with a long-term impact. I've got mixed feelings about him going, but I feel worse about Avery going.
that is just silly, Jagr is one of the most effective Scorer's of all time while Avery is just another Agitator. I bet if a player like Tucker (dont flame me) came in you would be saying Avery Who? That comment right there just makes me go crazy.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 01:43 PM
  #84
Dredden
JT Miller
 
Dredden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,429
vCash: 500
All because some news article writer for the Rangers says hes "likely not comming back" means nothing yet. Until July 1st, where anything can happen.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 02:42 PM
  #85
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoritystorm View Post
The truth is whether people like it or not, if we get rid of Jagr we are offensively done. If we couldn't score WITH him we will not score without him. There are no players available that are better than him to replace his offense. Not even Hossa. And I would hate to overpay for a player again like we did last year. Drury and Gomez NEED great offensive players around them. One because he is more a defensive player and the other is dynamic but plays out of synch with the so so talent up front this team has and for some reason plays a different game than Jaromir. But it doesn't matter cus Jaromir has Dubinsky as his new center. I think Cherepanov's playmaking style will mesh well with Gomez because they are both fast and good stickhandlers if you put someone on left wing who can occupy space and put in the garbage goals, that should be a good line when the time comes. Imagine if we could get that out of Jessiman, is that out of the realm of possibility? In the meantime we must resign Jagr to hold the fort for this team or we will not make the playoffs and we won't be bad enough to get a top 5 pick to get a real impact offensive player. Man PLEASE TANK THE SEASON FOR TAVERES! PLEASE! Imagine him and Cherepanov!!!!

that is not the truth.....with him the rangers couldnt score all year and he didnt do **** until about a month and a half left in the season.....gomez was the best player during the regular season and he was playing with fricken shanahan who couldnt skate and shot the puck from the blue-line because he didnt want to go into the corners........i swear, people here dont remember the regular season when they make comments......he beat gomez by 1 point during the regular season and he was getting more ice-time and more pp time....plus gomez was hurt for the last 10 games....


i'm sorry, but people need to realise jagr isnt the same player he used to be and if he doesnt want to be part of this team but instead THE team at his age it should mean goodbye......

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:03 PM
  #86
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
that is not the truth.....with him the rangers couldnt score all year and he didnt do **** until about a month and a half left in the season.....gomez was the best player during the regular season and he was playing with fricken shanahan who couldnt skate and shot the puck from the blue-line because he didnt want to go into the corners........i swear, people here dont remember the regular season when they make comments......he beat gomez by 1 point during the regular season and he was getting more ice-time and more pp time....plus gomez was hurt for the last 10 games....


i'm sorry, but people need to realise jagr isnt the same player he used to be and if he doesnt want to be part of this team but instead THE team at his age it should mean goodbye......

I swear people don't remember the regular season..

Does anybody else remember that Gomez played his best hockey with Avery and Jagr?

Does anybody else remember the advantage Gomez playing on a line that didn't have to go up against the leagues top defenseman?

Does anybody else remember the chances Jagr setup that his teammates didn't finish (Hossa and 1st half Dubinsky)

If Jagr played with 2nd half Dubinsky for a full season he would've easily hit his incentives..EASILY...

Also...Jagrs power play time was down this past year compared to his 1st two season in New York...Could that have hurt his production a tad?

This isn't stratomatic hockey here...we need to look at all the factors when discussing Jagr...stats never tell the whole story!

I'm not sure I'd give Jagr a two year contract..infact if he insisted on it I'd probably say no but this revistonist history when it comes to Jagr should be something that's debated 15 years from now...not 2 months after the season...when we can all remember what went on..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 05:16 PM
  #87
DubiDubiDoo
Registered User
 
DubiDubiDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post

Marian Hossa can take over a game.
I respectfully disagree. He's never won anything, he's never carried a team anywhere, he's folded more than he has shown up in the playoffs, and his best years statisticly rival jagrs worst years. He is a finishing piece, not a building block. I think theres a difference between a guy that takes ove rgames (Jagr) and a guy that has big games but delivers nothing (hossa)


Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
In answer to your question: have they thus far with Jagr? Part of the problem is that Jagr demands the offense run through him when he's on the ice. Is that condusive to generating a team of individual parts that operate above its collective talent level?
Jagr demanding anything about the way the team is run on the ice against the desire of the coach is a failure of management and the coaches, not Jagr. And as a fan its pretty sad when 99% of the time I'm only hopeful we can score when jagr's on the ice. We have Jagr, Gomez and Drury and what equates to table scraps playing with these guys. Its a team of 3rd and fourth liners other than these guys and Dubinsky. There has been no failure to deliver on jagrs part, this team continues to overachieve with what they have, while everyone treats them like they are under achieving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Maybe. Depends on what other moves Sather makes, but even assuming he makes none, is your ambition for this team to make the playoffs? To merely repeat the last three years?
Yes, I would have liked to see some progression beyond making the playoffs, to becoming serious contenders. If we had the peices to make the playoffs the past few years, and bringing in dru and gomer didnt put us over the hump, I'd rather they not tear it down and start over, but play the youth that deserve the minutes and bring in a vet defenseman and winger. They dont have to be 7 million dollar guys, but better than 10-15 goals (which is the most the majority of our wingers can seem to muster) would help a whole lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Why don't you save that? Projecting your own thoughts onto others is pointless, don't you think?
Pointless?? no not really. It's my opinion and I felt like sharing it in a forum dedicated to people sharing their facts and opinions. If you cant respect others having opinions thats your own issue. Maybe some people haven't considered the idea of Gomez or Drury drawing top defensive pairings and losing production. I've read alot of your posts on this board, AND HAVE ALOT OF RESPECT FOR YOUR OPINION. Please pay me the courtesy of being able to share my own opinion without being told its pointless.

Good Day Sir!

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 06:24 PM
  #88
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,831
vCash: 500
Frankly I have trouble seeing anywhere else in the NHL Jags might be going. Most contending teams already have their centerpieces and accomodating Jagr for 1-2 years would be unlikely. I can't believe he's going to sign up for a rebuild and last I checked, LA has been rebuilding for 41 years. There's always Edmonton but I don't believe that the presumptive Mrs. Jagr has much interest in modeling winterwear. Maybe Slats isn't so dumb letting the league set the market for his free agents. More than most of us, he may realize how limited their options really are.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 06:59 PM
  #89
Fataldogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,904
vCash: 500
Ugh I can't stand all of these Scott Gomez / Chris Drury advocates supporting the whole "Passing of the Torch" slogan. I was disappointed when we signed them and even more disappointed that our fans want these two players to be the players we build our team around. THEY AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH. Holy crap. I can't understand any of this jargon any more. Ryder / Malone / Rolston or 90% of the wingers in the NHL that you would sign with them won't make a real scoring threat to any one team we are facing to give us enough scoring to really compete. Let's build a team around players that average 60pts a year? Chris Drury, not even? I just can't understand this anymore. If the winger we were signing was Kovalchuk I could understand that. Even signing Hossa would make us have a legit scoring threat but Gomez / Dawes and Winger X, along with Drury / Calahan / Winger X, won't make us a good team, a decent team, or even an average team. If was lose Jagr, we won't be able to find a suitable replacement, and we WILL miss the playoffs. How many of you will be happy than? Will you be saying "Well, the torch is being passed, lets rebuild and in a few years we'll make it again" after we just started making the playoffs again? I don't know about you but I'd be really ticked off if we missed it next year. Its not coincidence that Jagr was signed to this team and after seven years of no playoff hockey at MSG, we were able to walk, drive, take the train, etc; to see our players perform in the bigger picture.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 07:02 PM
  #90
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,149
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Ugh I can't stand all of these Scott Gomez / Chris Drury advocates supporting the whole "Passing of the Torch" slogan. I was disappointed when we signed them and even more disappointed that our fans want these two players to be the players we build our team around. THEY AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH. Holy crap. I can't understand any of this jargon any more. Ryder / Malone / Rolston or 90% of the wingers in the NHL that you would sign with them won't make a real scoring threat to any one team we are facing to give us enough scoring to really compete. Let's build a team around players that average 60pts a year? Chris Drury, not even? I just can't understand this anymore. If the winger we were signing was Kovalchuk I could understand that. Even signing Hossa would make us have a legit scoring threat but Gomez / Dawes and Winger X, along with Drury / Calahan / Winger X, won't make us a good team, a decent team, or even an average team.
This is HF boards, a lot here hope for last place for the top pick.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:25 PM
  #91
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
He deserves the 2 year deal. He is the captain. Still one of the few Elites in the game.

Get it done
Yes. Just do it! Jagr at his worse is better then ANY available UFA at his best. He could always be bought out over a few years, so it carries very little risk.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:28 PM
  #92
Turambar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Frankly I have trouble seeing anywhere else in the NHL Jags might be going. Most contending teams already have their centerpieces and accomodating Jagr for 1-2 years would be unlikely. I can't believe he's going to sign up for a rebuild and last I checked, LA has been rebuilding for 41 years. There's always Edmonton but I don't believe that the presumptive Mrs. Jagr has much interest in modeling winterwear. Maybe Slats isn't so dumb letting the league set the market for his free agents. More than most of us, he may realize how limited their options really are.
Montreal.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:31 PM
  #93
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
Montreal.
doubt he'd go there

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:31 PM
  #94
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Yes. Just do it! Jagr at his worse is better then ANY available UFA at his best. He could always be bought out over a few years, so it carries very little risk.
Can you buy out over-35s?

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:33 PM
  #95
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
Can you buy out over-35s?
you can but his FULL cap hit will still be against you, and NYR doesnt buy anyone out, as you can see the Kasper situation.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:37 PM
  #96
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
I'm torn.

Jags is my favorite current Ranger. And i have tremendous respect for him.

However, can the organization afford to continue building around him? If they get complimentary pieces for one-two year deals. Then i may be on board for that.

But i would really dislike it if we signed guys to compliment Jagr, but those contracts were 5 year deals and handcuff us.

Also, i really do NOT want Sundin here.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 11:41 PM
  #97
FutureGM97
Registered User
 
FutureGM97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Ya know....this organization isn't just going to drop dead and go into a 1000 years of darkness just because Jagr leaves. People need to calm down. As much as I think Sather is an idiot, i don't think he is stupid enough to go into free agency betting it all on Jagr. he probably has alot of contingencies. If he doesn't, then we are screwed. But everyone needs to take a pill and calm down.

They should really should shut HFboards down as soon as the playoffs are over, open em up for the draft days, open em on July 1st, and then close em for the rest of the summer. EVERYONE NEEDS TO CALM DOWN!

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 01:57 AM
  #98
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
doubt he'd go there
Sundin= Ny Ranger?
Jagr=Habs?Leafs?







http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...859713-cp.html
There has been much speculation on Jagr's future, including an eventual return to Omsk.

Last summer, he told reporters that if he ever leaves the Rangers, he'd like to play in Canada for either Toronto or Montreal.

"I said a lot of things in my life," he told the crowd of mainly Montreal reporters in the Rangers dressing room with a big smile. "In 17 years, I never played in Canada.

"I always wondered how it was. Canadians love hockey. They always did, they always will. In our country (the Czech Republic), they love hockey, but in Canada, every little kid plays. It's just a huge sport here."

Finally, he said: "When I was younger I wondered how it would be if I played in Canada. But you never know, eh?"


Last edited by Artyukhin*: 06-30-2008 at 02:02 AM.
Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:04 AM
  #99
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
I still doubt he'd leave for Habs or Leafs. And I hope to god we dont get Sundin. Jagr is going to either go with NYR or Omsk, ill even put money on it. and Sundin, i have no idea where he is going, he is in his own little world right now....damn you Doug McKenzie

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:36 AM
  #100
JiBBa
 
JiBBa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 195
vCash: 500
I have a feeling the Rangers will sign Jagr and Satan(who would replace straka).

JiBBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.