HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ben Maxwell

Old
06-28-2008, 11:22 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

vCash: 500
Ben Maxwell

What are your guys expectations for him in Hamilton next season?

Would you say he's still a year or two away from the NHL?

I've loved what I've seen from him. Fantastic skater with great hands and has a somewhat physical side to his game. Injuries worry me though..

Can he be our 2nd line center of the future?

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post

I've loved what I've seen from him. Fantastic skater with great hands and has a somewhat physical side to his game. Injuries worry me though..

Injuries are the main concern for me. Besides that, I have a lot of hopes that this kid has all the tools to be more succesful in higher leagues. He needs better linemates and a higher pace in the game to get his thing going. I do see him as a Brad Richards/Pierre-Marc Bouchard type of centerman. I really like him and he's for me, the only real offensive centerman prospect we have in our system.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 12:03 AM
Kachino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Injuries are the main concern for me. Besides that, I have a lot of hopes that this kid has all the tools to be more succesful in higher leagues. He needs better linemates and a higher pace in the game to get his thing going. I do see him as a Brad Richards/Pierre-Marc Bouchard type of centerman. I really like him and he's for me, the only real offensive centerman prospect we have in our system.
I had the same thoughts about Ben Maxwell. I have high hopes about him centering Montreal's 2nd line one day. I think he's 2 years away from playing in the NHL. I also hope he can avoid any serious injuries like the ones he suffered during his time in the WHL.

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 02:09 AM
KnucklesTheTard*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachino82 View Post
I had the same thoughts about Ben Maxwell. I have high hopes about him centering Montreal's 2nd line one day. I think he's 2 years away from playing in the NHL. I also hope he can avoid any serious injuries like the ones he suffered during his time in the WHL.
He will be our saviour this year and destroy the competition.

KnucklesTheTard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 02:25 AM
giovanni

I really like Maxwell. I think he can be our second line center and maybe he will be good enogh to center a first line if every thing goes well in Hamilton.

giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 02:29 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I expect him to do well in hamilton, if he plays first/second line minutes then maybe 40-50 points. 15 goals, 40 assists maybe? I don't see him having linemates with a ppg skill so there's no one to inflate his numbers. I don't see him making over 60 points, 40 to 60. It's merely a guess though, just like everybody else's i guess. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if he needs 3 years but 2 is possible as the canadiens aren't rich in offensive prospects and Koivu is out of his prime.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 12:25 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

It's hard to say just yet as we need to see what players will be brought back to Hamilton. If Locke is gone then I would expect Maxwell to see 1st line ice time, if Locke comes back then he should be on the 2nd line I'm guessing. I would think 40-50 points would be a good year from him, although I'm more interested in how he handles himself against the bigger stronger players.

I don't have a clue how far away he is from the nhl, as he's played very little in the last year and a half, and I don't know how he will adjust to the AHL. With his offensive skills, I do think it will likely be only a matter of time before he reaches the nhl unless the injury problems continue for him. I would like to see how he handles the physical game as he seems to be more laid back but we'll see what he does next season, hopefully it's a great season for him.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

I remember watching videos on youtube from last summers prospect camp. They showed the skaters doing some skating and stickhandling drill..Maxwell was easily the most impressive IMO. He had blown everyone out of the water.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 12:40 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
It's hard to say just yet as we need to see what players will be brought back to Hamilton. If Locke is gone then I would expect Maxwell to see 1st line ice time, if Locke comes back then he should be on the 2nd line I'm guessing. I would think 40-50 points would be a good year from him, although I'm more interested in how he handles himself against the bigger stronger players.

I don't have a clue how far away he is from the nhl, as he's played very little in the last year and a half, and I don't know how he will adjust to the AHL. With his offensive skills, I do think it will likely be only a matter of time before he reaches the nhl unless the injury problems continue for him. I would like to see how he handles the physical game as he seems to be more laid back but we'll see what he does next season, hopefully it's a great season for him.
From his hockeysfuture page:

Talent Analysis
Cory Clouston, Kootenay Head Coach: “Depending on who we’re playing, whether it’s a road game or at home, it kind of varies who else he might play with. He’s a key guy for us because when you play teams with three good lines, Ben will be matched up with somebody who has a real good physical presence. Ben is a guy who will make things difficult for opponents. He generally responds quite well in the physical department.”

So maybe the physical game won't be an issue, we'll see how he does against stronger opponents I guess.

Old
06-29-2008, 12:41 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
I remember watching videos on youtube from last summers prospect camp. They showed the skaters doing some skating and stickhandling drill..Maxwell was easily the most impressive IMO. He had blown everyone out of the water.
Yah i saw those too, his skating was much better than the players he was grouped with that's for sure.

Old
06-29-2008, 12:45 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post

Talent Analysis
Cory Clouston, Kootenay Head Coach: “Depending on who we’re playing, whether it’s a road game or at home, it kind of varies who else he might play with. He’s a key guy for us because when you play teams with three good lines, Ben will be matched up with somebody who has a real good physical presence. Ben is a guy who will make things difficult for opponents. He generally responds quite well in the physical department.”

So maybe the physical game won't be an issue, we'll see how he does against stronger opponents I guess.

Is probably why he gets injured, sometimes when I read things like this all I can think of is Koivu, and I know Maxwell is bigger but he already has injury history. I guess all we can do is reach between our legs and knock on wood.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 12:56 PM
guest1467

Quote:
He does it on a regular basis in the Dub as well. He is so smooth on his skates it's ridiculous.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 12:57 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

Talent Analysis

He's never struck me as a physical player, I haven't seen a ton of him but I have been watching him since the U-17's and while I like his offensive game as well as his skating/speed/stickhandling, but I haven't seen him be that physical and that's why I wonder how he'd adjust against the bigger stronger players of the AHL then junior ages kids in the dub.

The good thing is that he's solid in his own end, which is something coach Lever wants in his players, so he's going to like Maxwell imo. To me, Maxwell plays a passive game and I do wonder how it will work out for him. I suspect he will do fine as he's one of our top forward prospects.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 01:50 PM
LyricalLyricist

Oh, i didn't mean to suggest he was physical, i merely showed the coach's comments where it says he can handle the physical game. We'll see I guess, what were his injuries? if anyone knows that is.

Old
06-29-2008, 02:49 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Oh, i didn't mean to suggest he was physical, i merely showed the coach's comments where it says he can handle the physical game. We'll see I guess, what were his injuries? if anyone knows that is.
Elbow, shoulder, leg. He has had a number of injuries and ailments.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:

Expectations: None in particular

Hope: He can remain healthy and play a full season -- that in itself would be an accomplishment!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:34 PM
daiglek91

He only played 70 games in all of the two last season, so i hope it did not slowed his developpement too much.

Altough, I remember him being quite good during last year training camp, so maybe he can suprise us and play this year or next year

daiglek91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:34 PM
RE-HABS

Everything I have read and heard about him is that he is a complete player and plays a great two way game already. Many scouts have him labeled as a2nd line NHL centre with the ability to be a 1st line centre. (Scouts, coaches and GM's in the WHL have been saying the last 2 years he is the best all around player)

Another thing I have read about him is that his injuries have all been the result of the "fluke" type of injury and that he is not injury prone.

I think as long as he has luck on his side he will pan out.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:43 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Given his injury history, he'll probably need 2 full years before really pushing for an NHL job. If he can stay healthy I think he can be a Stoll type 2 way guy that can chip in 50-60 with good linemates.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:44 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
top notch 2nd liner

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:48 PM
Scotianhab

If he stays healthy and plays well then I can see him getting some games in with the habs in 2 years.

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 11:47 PM
dd

Quote:

Talent Analysis

Not a great talent analysis from the head coach. he never says "great prospect" or "impact player", but uses "key guy for us", "generally responds quite well".
At least two years in the minors honing his skills and maturing his game.
Hard to predict his possible role with the Habs in the future.

dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 11:57 PM
le_sean

I expect him to end world poverty.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:51 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Max

He is already a top notch 2 way player with excellent power play skills. He doesnt initiate contact unless jostling along the boards but has good puck protection skills and is not fearful of the rough going playing well in traffic, going to the net etc. He isnt a throwing snow Pat Kane type. He is already a better player than Chip but will probably only play at 200 lbs

Last edited by toshiro: 06-30-2008 at 07:33 AM.
toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 08:00 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
yeah its probably this vid :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kXNFNxqNl94

either he is 3-4 levels above or those players a really really sucky loll.. i wonder who they are.

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote