HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dandenault

Old
06-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Megaforce

vCash: 500
To fully appreciate Dandenault you've got to be a fan of the Serge Boisvert skating - like - a - chicken - with - its - head - cut - off school of hockey.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 06:46 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
I don't like Dandenault at all but I do like how he handled this year, sure he was disappointed and wanted to play more but he did not act like Samsonov. There was an article earlier in the year taking about how he would think about his future this summer and talk to Bob about it, I am sure he wants to leave Montreal because he knows he has next to no chance of playing more next season.
But it is a tough question because anywhere he will be able to play will be a terrible team, so the choice is stay for a chance to win or have fun golfing in mid April.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 06:56 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
But it is a tough question because anywhere he will be able to play will be a terrible team, so the choice is stay for a chance to win or have fun golfing in mid April.
I wonder if Detroit would take him back. I know they have too many defensemen as it is, but I'm sure they could always use him as a semi-cheap utility forward.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
If he plays another game for us something has gone terribly wrong this offseason.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 07:06 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Dandenault won't be waived or bought out, the Habs will hang onto him for injury insurance purposes. He won't play much (hopefully) but as a veteran he'll be given the opportunity to retire a Hab or leave at the end of the season.
Dandy expressed in a very polite and nice way his frustration last year when he started getting scratched.
He's not happy, and he could git the role of 5-6th Dman or 4th liner on quite a number of teams.

I think Gainey is waiting to see what happens with AKost and Sundin, along with the rest of they RFAs to then see whether or not he dumps his salary somehow.

But Dandenault will not want to stay here if he's to be scratched for half the season.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 09:59 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
I don't like Dandenault at all but I do like how he handled this year, sure he was disappointed and wanted to play more but he did not act like Samsonov. There was an article earlier in the year taking about how he would think about his future this summer and talk to Bob about it, I am sure he wants to leave Montreal because he knows he has next to no chance of playing more next season.
I totally agree, I hate him as a player but you gotta admire his attitude. First of all he accepted to play forward after the Dandouillon pairing was terrible last year and he honestly played well at the beginning of the year.

Also that article showed he was a true professional as he is still decently young and can play in the league but instead of making himself a distraction like Samsonov he put the team ahead of himself.

Hopefully Bob can find someone to take him as he can still be a 3rd/4th line forward or a #5 or 6 defenceman on a non-playoff team.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
There have been threads on this one before. It just doesn't make much economic sense to buy out Dandy. By the time you've put $580k on the cap for two years and spent another similar amount (minimum) to replace his spot in the lineup, you've basically exceeded the $1.75M he has left. We don't seem to be in any cash crunch this season, so better to just ride out this year and remain free of the commitment afterwards.

Of course, I also wouldn't hesitate to spend all of his money on July 1st if that's what it took to really improve the team. You can always McGillisize him if necessary.
The problem with keeping Dandenault is you probably have a disgruntled player on your hands. ASt least if you buy him out he only costs you a 0.5 cap hit or whatever and you can put a Stewart or D'angostini in his spot that will be happier in that role and have a future on the team possibly.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 06:17 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
I think Dandenault might be a candidate to be traded rather than bought out. He isn't completely useless and his salary isn't exhorbitant. Those qualities might make him attractive to someone. If the Habs buy him out it will cost us over $800,000 against our cap and that is room we will badly need over the next couple of years.

On the other hand an additional draft choice for 2009, even if it is a mid to late-rounder, would be a nice plum with the draft being held in Montreal
But the scenario where somebody would actually trade for him probably only comes about once the season has started up (and maybe not until the deadline). Indeed, it could be there. Teams need experienced defensemen, and he skates well and wears rings. But right now, if a team needs a depth veteran, they get one cheaper on the UFA market than $1.75M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The problem with keeping Dandenault is you probably have a disgruntled player on your hands. ASt least if you buy him out he only costs you a 0.5 cap hit or whatever and you can put a Stewart or D'angostini in his spot that will be happier in that role and have a future on the team possibly.
I honestly don't think Stewart or D'Agostini are ready, or superior to Dandenault, so I don't see any advantage in making the decision on that basis. Although of course there's ample opportunity during training camp for those tables to be turned. In which case, it's no harm whatsoever to us if it's Dandenault in Hamilton (or sulking at home) instead of one of those guys. But it wouldn't be smart to EXPECT that, or rely on it.

Dandenault is a professional, he can be disgruntled or not, although he has 1.75M reasons not to be, and hopefully he appreciates that reality.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-28-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 07:25 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
I honestly don't think Stewart or D'Agostini are ready, or superior to Dandenault, so I don't see any advantage in making the decision on that basis. Although of course there's ample opportunity during training camp for those tables to be turned. In which case, it's no harm whatsoever to us if it's Dandenault in Hamilton (or sulking at home) instead of one of those guys. But it wouldn't be smart to EXPECT that, or rely on it.

Dandenault is a professional, he can be disgruntled or not, although he has 1.75M reasons not to be, and hopefully he appreciates that reality.
Stewart played one game and he had more drive than most of the guys on the team. How is he not ready? Everytime he was on the ice something was happening(wich is something you cannot say from Begin).

As for Dandy he has heart. But he's old and cannot bring anything to this team.

One more thing: Dandy himself almost pretty much said it to the media that he wanted to leave last year. First he didn't like the whole yo-yo thing Carbo did with him by having him transfered from D to forward. Second he really did not take not playing and being a healthy scratch at his age. There is no way he's coming back.

Personaly I would rather we get rid of him and Smolinsky for somebody that wants out of Pittsburgh like Gary Roberts. He would be a damn good example for a kid like Greg Stewart to follow as far as being gritty and hard-working while still being smart at doing things.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-28-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Stewart played one game and he had more drive than most of the guys on the team. How is he not ready? Everytime he was on the ice something was happening(wich is something you cannot say from Begin).

As for Dandy he has heart. But he's old and cannot bring anything to this team.

One more thing: Dandy himself almost pretty much said it to the media that he wanted to leave last year. First he didn't like the whole yo-yo thing Carbo did with him by having him transfered from D to forward. Second he really did not take not playing and being a healthy scratch at his age. There is no way he's coming back.

Personaly I would rather we get rid of him and Smolinsky for somebody that wants out of Pittsburgh like Gary Roberts. He would be a damn good example for a kid like Greg Stewart to follow as far as being gritty and hard-working while still being smart at doing things.
See this is the crazy thing....

Greg Stewart had one good NHL game, in a meaningless game... against an opponent who had given up on their season..... He was an average AHLer and not even a dominant force in that league..... But I get the feeling that a lot of people here think he has a spot on the team guaranteed next year.

Stewart was up for that game... he was super pumped... it was his first ever game... On HNIC... in the biggest rivalry in hockey. He played his heart out. I don't think anyone can sustain that effort level game in and game out... .He has to prove to me in training camp that he deserves a spot and show some consistancy... I'm not ready to annoint him with a roster spot yet.

Meanwhile in the Latendresse thread we are ready to throw a younger guy... with 2 years of NHL experience... and 32 goals... under the bus.

Habs fans can be crazy sometimes :

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 10:23 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
But the scenario where somebody would actually trade for him probably only comes about once the season has started up (and maybe not until the deadline). Indeed, it could be there. Teams need experienced defensemen, and he skates well and wears rings. But right now, if a team needs a depth veteran, they get one cheaper on the UFA market than $1.75M.

If Sundin or another big UFA(or Streit playing forward) signs, Dandenault is 14th behind Begin Chipchura Lapierre and Kostopoulos who end up at #10-13. In the NHL you don;'t even need 14 forwards...if we carry 14, I want a Roy or McGrattan or similar player for certain teams.

Old
06-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post

Greg Stewart had one good NHL game, in a meaningless game... against an opponent who had given up on their season..... He was an average AHLer and not even a dominant force in that league..... But I get the feeling that a lot of people here think he has a spot on the team guaranteed next year.

Stewart was up for that game... he was super pumped... it was his first ever game... On HNIC... in the biggest rivalry in hockey. He played his heart out. I don't think anyone can sustain that effort level game in and game out... .He has to prove to me in training camp that he deserves a spot and show some consistancy... I'm not ready to annoint him with a roster spot yet.

Meanwhile in the Latendresse thread we are ready to throw a younger guy... with 2 years of NHL experience... and 32 goals... under the bus.

Agreed 100% on both points.

In terms of Stewart though, I see him more as the type to fill in getting 6-8 minutes a night on the 4th line when injuries hit. Just a bigger version of Begin plus he can fight. His upside is 3rd line at best.

Old
06-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Kaptain Bégin

I think Gainey see Dandenault like our Brisebois for the upcoming season. He's our 7th defenseman, and our 14th forward. He don't want to pay to get rid of a guy.

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 11:15 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Bégin View Post
I think Gainey see Dandenault like our Brisebois for the upcoming season. He's our 7th defenseman, and our 14th forward. He don't want to pay to get rid of a guy.
Brisebois was good on the PP, Dandenault is limited to playing as a #5-6 with no PP or PK time on defense.

Old
06-28-2008, 01:03 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:

But but, he almost scored twice, that has to account for something?

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 04:04 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post
With all the buyouts / waiver action that there has been in the last week, shouldn't Gainey consider waiving or maybe even buying out some of our dead weight, mainly Dandenault. I'm not to sure how the money works and what the cap hit would be if we do chose to buy him out but from what we saw last year, his role on this team is non existant. What do you guys think.

Yeah I don't understand why Dandenault is still with the team. He is a waste of space. He is brutal on defence and even worse as a forward. Yes the guy is a veteran and has playoff experience.....but he is also taking up a roster spot that a player like Chipchura could occupy.

Begin is another guy we could stand to buyout or waive. He is a decent 4th line player and brings a little grit to the lineup, but when was the last time he played a whole season? We need to get players who play a similar style but who can play the whole season long.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I really don't see how a trade could be possible. The org. did the best they could with the guy. Though they also did the best the could for him to have no value whatsoever. The guy is not a forward and while I'm not a fan, he can better than a lot of d-men in this league. Obviously not for the salary he commands, but just as far as being better, he simply is. Still, he didn' play there ALL YEAR.

So I don't understand the no waivers no buyout thing about Dandenault. CLEARLY, Dandenault wants a chance to play and he's not going to have it with us so why would Gainey do that to him?If Dandenault do not play any sort of hockey next year 'cause he's the 14th forward (and chances are by the time he can play, somebody will be great in Hamilton and will take his spot), the guy knows that he'll just retire at the end of the season. If he doesn't want to, he NEEDS to ask for some kind of movement.

And I don't see why Gainey wouldn't give it to him. Even though if it will be at re-entry. Or we keep him and even if he's really unhappy but who needs that distraction....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Beakermania*

I think he's gonna be our 7th or 8th D this year.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
In Hamilton?

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 04:08 PM
revin5*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Begin is another guy we could stand to buyout or waive. He is a decent 4th line player and brings a little grit to the lineup, but when was the last time he played a whole season? We need to get players who play a similar style but who can play the whole season long.
Decent? A little grit? ...

revin5* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:

That's about what I was going to say.

I figure I've seen Stewart play around 40 times dating back to junior. Yes, he had a good game (just as Beaker described) in his callup. I wouldn't have expected that from him, but it was of course nice to see. He also had a better year overall in Hamilton than we probably had a right to expect. But I think he still has more to show there before he can be considered a full-time NHLer. Another season of the same kind of progression and exceeding-expectations in Hamilton would be about right.

Of course, like I also said, if he comes into training camp and flat out wins a spot, that'd be great. But I just don't think you pencil that in, you can't expect the unexpected. If he does do it, _then_ we might have some more motivation to start looking at ways to ditch Dandenault. But not now. In the meantime, Dandenault seems like a pretty good fit to a 14th forward / 8th D role. He might have murmured something a little too loudly about his dissatisfaction with that last year, but it seemed to me like he played through that quite respectably. Until and unless it comes up again, I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I have a hunch on Dandy...I think they are being patient because there is another buyout peroid...once the big name UFA's are out of the way, some teams will be looking to add veteran presence and/or get to the cap floor(having to spend money). Since he is on a 1 year deal, is versatile and has a cup ring, I think he might get a taker. If not then I can see buying him out in the 2nd buyout period in August.

All this is pending the addition of a top forward.

Wether Stewart and D'angostini are ready or not, if they are your #14 and 15 forwards, you don't need Dandenault...same thing on defense with Brisebois as #7 and Valentenko/Carle as 8 and 9.

Old
06-30-2008, 10:41 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Leafs

Make the Leafs take him as part of the Sundin deal.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:56 PM
HCH

Quote:

He has a pretty rich contract for a 7th or 8th D, especially when you are trying to sign Kostitsyn and Sundin.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 01:10 PM
Joe Cole

If the Habs feel that they do not need him as insurance, then demote him to the AHL, trade him or waive him.

Until then, he is an NHL body, signed to a contract. We keep him until we do not have a need.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote