HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Bertuzzi on Waivers. Holy crap!

Old
06-29-2008, 12:03 PM
tiger_80

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I have to take you to task on this. Did you watch much of the playoffs this year?
If Penner played one game like Ryan malone I could see this being a comparable but the only thing the two have in common is goals scored.
There is absolutely no comparing the intensity and apparent conditioning of Malone with Penner.

I wish.

The shift after shift intensity and fight from guys like Ryan Malone and the spunky Maxime Talbot allowed the Pens to get as far as they did. VERY impressed with those players and a world apart from what Penner has shown.

Malone had an exceptional season. I will be very surprised if he repeats.
If Penner had Malone's conditioning and intensity, he would not be Penner. He would be "Eric Lindros" when he first came into the league.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Malone had an exceptional season. I will be very surprised if he repeats.
If Penner had Malone's conditioning and intensity, he would not be Penner. He would be "Eric Lindros" when he first came into the league.
Sorry to keep disagreeing but Eric Lindros was one of the most coordinated big players to ever play the game.

His hand eye coordination was unreal and could make incomprehensible plays tight and in traffic. Beautiful finish.

There really is no comparison at all in hands either.

Penner could be Bertuzzi with Malone intensity but Bert had better hands too.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Yes, I vividly remember being a passenger as your father tore around those blind corners where there is only enough room for one vehicle, which scared the [blank] out of me. Riding a bike down that road is asking to be hit by a vehicle and either a) be squished against the cliff side or b) knocked off the road to land in the ocean a hundred feet below.
Yeah, I don't recall if my dad was driving a little slower for you guys, but when we're heading out there to work, there's no screwing around and we get up on the tourists bumpers so that they pull off and let us go, if not, they get pre-occupied with us and then when they meet someone around a turn, they often times need to take a "breather". One of the best things about going out there is seeing the looks on people's faces when you meet them in a tight spot of the road or around a turn. We were taking out a large water storage tank the other day, so we took it easier than usual.

Quote:
The idea seemed patently insane from the start. lets put a bunch of tourists gawking at scenery and some of whom aren't really cyclists, have them hurtling down a stesp winding road with switchback after switchback.
I suppose the brochures looked fun but one wonders about novel ways to sacrifice virgins to Pele..

Too bad. I still remember that place and some others. Send me some seafood instead of canespiders sometime

Throw me out on a mountain or coastal road and something comes over me. I'm normally by now a defensive driver but I just love getting into a "zone" driving roads like this. The windier the better, narrow fine, up and down, bring it on. Strange thing is though its me driving so I know exactly how much I'm pushing the envelope or not.(or so I think) A passenger would not necessarily have that feeling.

Anyway I loved driving back from Hana and we left at dusk which I don't think is recommended for tourists. But the way I figured it would make it easier to know if theres a car coming against you around the bend, down the hill, hurdling to yet another one lane bridge..
my plan actually worked really well and the only thing I was worried about is whether there could be someone on that road even more loco than me that was driving without headlights.(moonloondriving)I never encountered that but I'm coming fast around this one bend and all of a sudden I encounter a hill where the road is supposed to be..

It was a fresh avalanche of debris that wasn't there earlier in the day(I really do take note of that type of thing) I had to apply breaks immediately and then picked out that there was just enough room to get by the rockslide without tumbling 1000ft into the ocean.

This did put a damper on my rally style driving.
Yeah biking down a volcano was not a very bright idea, but anything for $ right???
As for the Hana road, I love getting into a "zone" when driving it as well, especially coming back to town. Wanting to get the hell out of dodge and back home really gives you an extra push. You get into it a LOT more as a driver than as a passenger. I especially love goosing it around certain corners to fishtail. When I drive it, it's in full sized trucks, so you've got a little less room than in a car or mini SUV. It is fun though, I must say that most tourists drive the road pretty slow, but I've seen a few that have driven like locals, those guys are a-o.k. in my books

BTW-don't you know that you're not supposed to take rental cars out there??? Damned tourists

06-29-2008, 02:43 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50

06-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Not enough turns for the Hana highway, and there's only 2 restrooms on the way there unless you include portable toilets. If you're going to do something, do it right for ****s sake

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 02:47 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Yeah, I don't recall if my dad was driving a little slower for you guys, but when we're heading out there to work, there's no screwing around and we get up on the tourists bumpers so that they pull off and let us go, if not, they get pre-occupied with us and then when they meet someone around a turn, they often times need to take a "breather". One of the best things about going out there is seeing the looks on people's faces when you meet them in a tight spot of the road or around a turn. We were taking out a large water storage tank the other day, so we took it easier than usual.

Yeah biking down a volcano was not a very bright idea, but anything for $ right???
As for the Hana road, I love getting into a "zone" when driving it as well, especially coming back to town. Wanting to get the hell out of dodge and back home really gives you an extra push. You get into it a LOT more as a driver than as a passenger. I especially love goosing it around certain corners to fishtail. When I drive it, it's in full sized trucks, so you've got a little less room than in a car or mini SUV. It is fun though, I must say that most tourists drive the road pretty slow, but I've seen a few that have driven like locals, those guys are a-o.k. in my books

BTW-don't you know that you're not supposed to take rental cars out there??? Damned tourists
Haha. I loved it even more in a rental car. Just putting it through its paces and I was getting well used to the car so i knew its handling which wasn't much btw but its great not having to worry about what you're doing to the suspension, or alignment..

Its the road past Hana that rentals aren't allowed on although I did take a bit of that too.

Its amazing how some people grip their wheel so tightly and I wonder if they've ever driven outside of a city before. These are the type that could have 20 cars behind them and not even think of pulling over

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Haha. I loved it even more in a rental car. Just putting it through its paces and I was getting well used to the car so i knew its handling which wasn't much btw but its great not having to worry about what you're doing to the suspension, or alignment..

Its the road past Hana that rentals aren't allowed on although I did take a bit of that too.

Its amazing how some people grip their wheel so tightly and I wonder if they've ever driven outside of a city before. These are the type that could have 20 cars behind them and not even think of pulling over
Exactly, and THAT is why I'd never consider buying a rent-a-car here!!! It's like this time on Molokai where we determined that a Geo Metro could go 80 or 85 MPH balls to the wall going slightly downhill!!! What a gutless car that was!!! And yes Frank The Tank, my dad and I fit into a freaking Geo Metro!!! That was probably when I was a small guy (6'1" 240lbs. or so ).

It reminds me of a story that I heard where a friend of my dads was driving a rental car that was rented by a guy, they stopped the car and convinced the guy to get out of the car to go look for something. He did, and they took off with-out him. They were going about 80MPH down the highway, threw it into neutral, revved the engine, and threw it into reverse!!! That was none other than wise old Mikey

Back to the 1st OT Yeah Replacement, I hate when there's a freaking Presidential convoy behind these clowns and they don't pull over It can take a roughly 1 3/4-2 hour drive and turn it into a 2 1/2+ hour drive. Those guys piss me off something fierce.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:04 PM
JoeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
OUTLANDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(ok, edit out the dumb myspace add thing with your mind)

"Get you hands off my sister Uncle dad!"

JoeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote