HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Official Free Agent Frenzy Thread (Deals from other teams)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-29-2008, 02:16 PM
  #76
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
TSN text updates say it's 7 years. HA!
Not bad, just over 4 mil a year.

__________________
Don Cherry is right...you don't poke the bear..you walk right up to it and punch it in the mouth. - Grant McCagg
Habs10Habs is online now  
Old
06-29-2008, 02:25 PM
  #77
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
TSN text updates say it's 7 years. HA!
So over 4 million... probably about 4.5.

Overpayment, IMHO, but that's the free agent market for you. Still, more of those ungodly long contracts, and Malone certainly is no Lecavalier or Ovechkin.

MathMan is offline  
Old
06-29-2008, 02:43 PM
  #78
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
What's his best goal total in his career, 25 at most? ridiculous... No wonder Kost wants 5 yrs @ 4m or so. (speculating)

Pascal is offline  
Old
06-29-2008, 02:47 PM
  #79
Scotianhab
Registered User
 
Scotianhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,721
vCash: 500
7 years is way too long a contract for a guy like Malone. I can't believe Tampa gave him that long of a deal.

Scotianhab is offline  
Old
06-29-2008, 03:08 PM
  #80
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,856
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Wow.. Tampa Bay may not be that bad next year..

Jokinen - Lecavalier - Prospal
St. Louis - Stamkos - Malone?
Roberts - Halpern - Ouellet
Ward - Tarnarsky - Jones

O'Brien - Boyle
Kuba - Ranger
Linden - Picard

Smith
Ramo


An upgrade in goal would be good (Theodore?).. but they are looking solid.
They should be better than this past season but I still do not think they are anywhere near a playoff spot.

beowulf is offline  
Old
06-29-2008, 03:18 PM
  #81
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
So over 4 million... probably about 4.5.

Overpayment, IMHO, but that's the free agent market for you. Still, more of those ungodly long contracts, and Malone certainly is no Lecavalier or Ovechkin.
Considering the market for UFA's the past couple of years the price isn't too bad. But like you, the length of the contract is what really has me shaking my head.

Habs10Habs is online now  
Old
06-29-2008, 03:22 PM
  #82
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, cālisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,679
vCash: 500
One season ago, Ryan Malone was dangled by Pitts at every freaking team and nobody wanted the guy. Now, he has one solid playoff run and he gets the cash.

Me thinks Tampa overpayed. By the way, for those who think that Tampa is going to be solid after these signings, let me just add that they had a much better forward there last year and STILL managed to finish dead last. They have a sucky defence. And I'm not convinced that their 3rd and 4th lines are something to be scared of, really... Lecavalier and St-Louis will be overused yet again and they won't make the playoffs. Not sold on their goalies either.

deandebean is offline  
Old
06-29-2008, 03:53 PM
  #83
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
They should be better than this past season but I still do not think they are anywhere near a playoff spot.
Neither were we at the beginning of last season.

I think they'll make it in. Smith is not Brodeur, but he's young and he can definitely help this team a lot more than their Goalies last year. Which was the main reason they were so horrible.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
06-29-2008, 04:04 PM
  #84
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
One season ago, Ryan Malone was dangled by Pitts at every freaking team and nobody wanted the guy. Now, he has one solid playoff run and he gets the cash.

Me thinks Tampa overpayed. By the way, for those who think that Tampa is going to be solid after these signings, let me just add that they had a much better forward there last year and STILL managed to finish dead last. They have a sucky defence. And I'm not convinced that their 3rd and 4th lines are something to be scared of, really... Lecavalier and St-Louis will be overused yet again and they won't make the playoffs. Not sold on their goalies either.
Offense is not the reason they didn't make it in last year.
Boyle missed a big part of the season and he was their main guy. Would be like us losing Markov and not having a Hamrlik behind.

They didn't have a better offense last year btw. Richards wasn't much of a factor. They got Smith that will help their Goalie situation a lot more and Halpern once healthy will give more balance to their 3rd line with Roberts.
Add Malone who netted 27Goals during his season and has a possibility of becoming a great Power Foward, put him with Stamkos that i don't see producing less than Kane in Chicago and you'll have a great 2nd line duo as well.

With O'Brien coming back even better, Boyle healthy, Kuba will look better and dont be surprised if they went after a D, such as Redden or Rozival..Campbell might be too expensive.

This team will be leaps away from where they were last season buddy.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
06-29-2008, 04:07 PM
  #85
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, cālisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Offense is not the reason they didn't make it in last year.
Boyle missed a big part of the season and he was their main guy. Would be like us losing Markov and not having a Hamrlik behind.

They didn't have a better offense last year btw. Richards wasn't much of a factor. They got Smith that will help their Goalie situation a lot more and Halpern once healthy will give more balance to their 3rd line with Roberts.
Add Malone who netted 27Goals during his season and has a possibility of becoming a great Power Foward, put him with Stamkos that i don't see producing less than Kane in Chicago and you'll have a great 2nd line duo as well.

With O'Brien coming back even better, Boyle healthy, Kuba will look better and dont be surprised if they went after a D, such as Redden or Rozival..Campbell might be too expensive.

This team will be leaps away from where they were last season buddy.
But not in our division, so I don't care.

deandebean is offline  
Old
06-29-2008, 04:08 PM
  #86
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
But not in our division, so I don't care.
What?..

Kriss E is offline  
Old
06-29-2008, 04:08 PM
  #87
Hab-a-maniac
Registered User
 
Hab-a-maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto via Calgary!
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Offense is not the reason they didn't make it in last year.
Boyle missed a big part of the season and he was their main guy. Would be like us losing Markov and not having a Hamrlik behind.

They didn't have a better offense last year btw. Richards wasn't much of a factor. They got Smith that will help their Goalie situation a lot more and Halpern once healthy will give more balance to their 3rd line with Roberts.
Add Malone who netted 27Goals during his season and has a possibility of becoming a great Power Foward, put him with Stamkos that i don't see producing less than Kane in Chicago and you'll have a great 2nd line duo as well.

With O'Brien coming back even better, Boyle healthy, Kuba will look better and dont be surprised if they went after a D, such as Redden or Rozival..Campbell might be too expensive.

This team will be leaps away from where they were last season buddy.
Still doesn't hide the fact their youth core sucks outside Stamkos and they need to do way better drafting if they ever want to compete for a cup. They can't hold a candle to us if all they do is spend spend spend with big names from out of town to make themselves look great. Boston tried this to cover up their drafting deficiencies in the 00s with Lapointe, Zhamnov, Leetch, etc. It worked with a couple guys but look where the Habs are despite landing so few big name UFA's. Tampa can do all the outlandish rebuilding moves to get prognosticators predicting a playoff spot, but they don't impress me yet.

Hab-a-maniac is offline  
Old
06-29-2008, 04:10 PM
  #88
SpreeEndaz
Registered User
 
SpreeEndaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Around MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,536
vCash: 500
OT: Flyers sign Steve Eminger

Good move by the Flyers acquiring him; he's a good addition to support Timonen in powerplay.

Source: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20.../1002/CPSPORTS

(Notice how the coincidential and rare the picture is; Begin giving Eminger a high-stick... )

SpreeEndaz is offline  
Old
06-29-2008, 04:17 PM
  #89
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
Still doesn't hide the fact their youth core sucks outside Stamkos and they need to do way better drafting if they ever want to compete for a cup. They can't hold a candle to us if all they do is spend spend spend with big names from out of town to make themselves look great. Boston tried this to cover up their drafting deficiencies in the 00s with Lapointe, Zhamnov, Leetch, etc. It worked with a couple guys but look where the Habs are despite landing so few big name UFA's. Tampa can do all the outlandish rebuilding moves to get prognosticators predicting a playoff spot, but they don't impress me yet.
I never said I was impressed nor that they'd contend for a cup..
All i said is they're much better than they were last year and they should have a PO spot.

I don't agree with the Malone signing is if its really what is rumored. I think it'd be a horrible move actually.
I don't think Roberts is that great an addition either.
But it does make their team better compared to last year.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
06-29-2008, 04:19 PM
  #90
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,942
vCash: 50
Feaster has a hit a couple doubles...

Gainey has a double and is at the plate. He's swinging for the fences.

Sometimes it's better to go for doubles.

Phil Parent is offline  
Old
06-29-2008, 04:19 PM
  #91
Fire Brunet*
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: .-.
Posts: 5,388
vCash: 500
Begin's stick is always high!

Fire Brunet* is offline  
Old
06-29-2008, 04:20 PM
  #92
SpreeEndaz
Registered User
 
SpreeEndaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Around MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Carbonneau View Post
Begin's stick is always high!
Especially in important games like when we are facing the Leafs for the last available spot in playoffs and we're in the lead.

SpreeEndaz is offline  
Old
06-29-2008, 04:37 PM
  #93
Fire Brunet*
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: .-.
Posts: 5,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Especially in important games like when we are facing the Leafs for the last available spot in playoffs and we're in the lead.
I bet he takes performance enhancers, that's why he's always excited and high-sticks opponents!

Viagra?

Fire Brunet* is offline  
Old
06-29-2008, 04:38 PM
  #94
Megaforce
Registered User
 
Megaforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: St. Raymond NDG/Mtl
Country: Azerbaijan
Posts: 1,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
BTW, Richards >>> Malone + Roberts

Well put.

Megaforce is offline  
Old
06-29-2008, 04:41 PM
  #95
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,200
vCash: 500
It's amazing how every move Gainey makes is praised and every move by other teams is criticized.

We're paying 5.25 mill to a guy on the downside and they are paying 4 mill for a guy on the upside.

It's a good move for them, IMO.

gusfring is offline  
Old
06-29-2008, 04:42 PM
  #96
Vlad The Impaler
Registered User
 
Vlad The Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Me thinks Tampa overpayed. By the way, for those who think that Tampa is going to be solid after these signings, let me just add that they had a much better forward there last year and STILL managed to finish dead last. They have a sucky defence. And I'm not convinced that their 3rd and 4th lines are something to be scared of, really... Lecavalier and St-Louis will be overused yet again and they won't make the playoffs. Not sold on their goalies either.
Yup. Plus, Barry ****ing Melrose.

This is just awful management.

Vlad The Impaler is offline  
Old
06-29-2008, 04:49 PM
  #97
Delat
Registered User
 
Delat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
It's amazing how every move Gainey makes is praised and every move by other teams is criticized.

We're paying 5.25 mill to a guy on the downside and they are paying 4 mill for a guy on the upside.

It's a good move for them, IMO.
I don't think Tanguay is on the downside, he is still young, and can pout up some good numbers until he's 33-34 and then it will depend on him.

Delat is offline  
Old
06-29-2008, 04:51 PM
  #98
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
It's amazing how every move Gainey makes is praised and every move by other teams is criticized.

We're paying 5.25 mill to a guy on the downside and they are paying 4 mill for a guy on the upside.

It's a good move for them, IMO.
7 years man... That's risky.

And come on...your post makes me want to throw up.

znk is offline  
Old
06-29-2008, 04:53 PM
  #99
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, cālisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
It's amazing how every move Gainey makes is praised and every move by other teams is criticized.

We're paying 5.25 mill to a guy on the downside and they are paying 4 mill for a guy on the upside.

It's a good move for them, IMO.
The guy had one bad season, and he's going down?

deandebean is offline  
Old
06-29-2008, 04:53 PM
  #100
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
BTW, Richards >>> Malone + Roberts
Is Richards > Malone + Roberts + Smith + Halpern + Jokinen + 4th

This team needed depth. They are in much better shape right now.

znk is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.