HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr Quote - I don't like it

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2008, 04:52 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Please July 1st come already...these threads are killing me.

People are blowing everything how of the water, reading what they want to read, skipping what they don't to make Jagr sound like the worst guy we've ever had.

The man was our best player since the lockout, helped the turnaround from being the joke of the NHL by his MVP season and becoming a consistent playoff team, but now lets throw him out the door and spit on him why don't we.

Bring on Ryder!
I agree, but i still want him gone.

I appreciate everything hes done, but IMO its simply the time to move on and i have to defend my arguments, even at the risk of sounding like i didnt watch the last 3 years.

Old
06-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Too many if's in that first sentence. Bottom line is he didnt.

Well why would you want to pay someone 6+ million and be the captain if needed so much rest and coddling? Its not about the amount of rest he needed because his body has changed - hes getting OLD.
Do you honestly want a 38 or 39 year old Jagr in 2010 and 2011 then? Because he wants a multi year deal.

The entire Jagr PP unit deferred to Jagr on almost every PP. Roszival ring a bell? Passing up shots to pass to Jagr? Straka trying to force passes cross ice to Jagr ring a bell? Thats what i mean by modeling.
Bottom line he didn't? who can disagree with that but you still didn't answer my question...

I've already said i wouldn't want Jagr for a multi-year contract..

Jagrs unit defered to him but what about the other unit? why is that those guys get a free pass on here?

I don't think straka and rozsvial passing the puck to jagr is codeling but to each his own..

Old
06-29-2008, 04:58 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Bottom line he didn't? who can disagree with that but you still didn't answer my question...

I've already said i wouldn't want Jagr for a multi-year contract..

Jagrs unit defered to him but what about the other unit? why is that those guys get a free pass on here?

I don't think straka and rozsvial passing the puck to jagr is codeling but to each his own..
If Jagr was playing so great the first 60+ games of the year, it wouldnt matter who he was playing with.

This is turning into another Peca thread

YOU may not want him here for a multi year deal, but HE does!

Old
06-29-2008, 04:59 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
If Gomez was the team leaders wouldn't we be talking about what wingers work best with him. If Drury was the captain (as he might be in a few weeks) wouldn't we be talking about who works well with him and who doesn't? I don't think it's a problem that Jagr works well with some guys and not with others. I never did..going back to last year on July 2nd when I wondered on this board if Jagr was going to be happy without Nylander (and got ripped for it)

I think we can put whatever label we want on it. I don't think Gomez is a superstar. But he is the highest paid player and you have to do whatever you can to maximize that investment.

The fact is Gomez was this team's leading scorer for the majority of the season despite playing with an relatively ineffective Shanahan.

The fact that we had to worry about whether or not Jagr would be happy is a problem in itself.

Quote:
No i don't think it's a fancy way of saying he doesn't have enough left in the tank. I think it's a logical explanation as to why his production took a step backwards last year.
And the season before that?

Quote:
I don't think Jagr should be signed for more than 1 season but i think the expectations without him in the lineup next season are a little high.
I think the expectations with him back are a little high.

Quote:
Jagr is much diffrent from the Shanahan situation. My beef with Shanny was that he talked a good game about returning and how this was the only place for him yet signed a contract for more money. That and other than oct and nov of 06 Shanny looked like his body retired..can we say the same for Jagr? two totally diffrent things..
Isn't Jagr saying the same things? How often have we heard that returning to the Rangers is a top choice/first priority? It sounds to me as if the money is just as important to Jagr as it was Shanahan.

Quote:
the rangers survived just fine without shanny the past two years when they had to..would they have done as well without jagr? probably not..

They would not have done as well without Jagr. But all of this is written in the past tense and about what has already happened. It's the future I'm not so sure about.

I'd be more concerned about losing Avery than I would Jagr.

06-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
If Jagr was playing so great the first 60+ games of the year, it wouldnt matter who he was playing with.

This is turning into another Peca thread

YOU may not want him here for a multi year deal, but HE does!
So the chances that others didn't finish never enter in the equation huh? I always forget that stats tell the WHOLE story...

Gotcha..

This isnt' turning into a Peca thread..I respect the people i'm debating in this thread

So you would take Jagr back for one more season?

Old
06-29-2008, 05:07 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

They would not have done as well without Jagr. But all of this is written in the past tense and about what has already happened. It's the future I'm not so sure about.
This is where a lot of fans are differing in opinion.

Some are projecting a Jagr whos healthy, not effected by age, and having a more productive year with the right players around him. Some of us, think the opposite.

Its really about foreshadowing IMO, as well as the system the Rangers decide to play - one that will or will not compliment Jagr.

Old
06-29-2008, 05:11 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
So the chances that others didn't finish never enter in the equation huh? I always forget that stats tell the WHOLE story...

Gotcha..

This isnt' turning into a Peca thread..I respect the people i'm debating in this thread

for me, i dont consider that an option......he doesnt want to sign a one-year deal....

i mean to be honest if i was jagr i wouldnt either because as we are all saying he would be a stop-gap ujtil the younger players are ready for bigger roles, plus he could make more money elsewhere.......

i see either sather giving him the two years or jagr walking, which is why i dont consider it an option

Old
06-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
He did not. But Jagr didn't even lead his team in scoring for the first 5 months of the season.

So why then, did we not see the Jagr of the first two rounds for the majority of the regular season?
He was mentoring a rookie for most of the season, and did a good job of it also. It's not like he was playing with Nylander or Gomez. Strange how Jagr's production went up when Dubinsky really started to come on towards the end. C'mon Jagr even made Marcel Hossa look like a goal scorer for a while there.

Old
06-29-2008, 05:20 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
He was mentoring a rookie for most of the season, and did a good job of it also. It's not like he was playing with Nylander or Gomez. Strange how Jagr's production went up when Dubinsky really started to come on towards the end. C'mon Jagr even made Marcel Hossa look like a goal scorer for a while there.
He was mentoring a rookie because he could not mesh with Gomez or Drury. It was never the plan to have Dubinsky playing with Jagr.

He made Marcel Hossa look like a goal scorer? When was that exactly? Was it the 1 goal he scored as Ranger this season?

Old
06-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
He was mentoring a rookie because he could not mesh with Gomez or Drury. It was never the plan to have Dubinsky playing with Jagr.

He made Marcel Hossa look like a goal scorer? When was that exactly? Was it the 1 goal he scored as Ranger this season?
It was when Marcel went on that tear and Fly had the avatar of his arival.

Old
06-29-2008, 05:49 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Why is it so hard for people to understand there is a language barrier and things clearly get lost in translation?

He's not saying "I am the best - I need the most money b/c I am a leader", he is saying the NHL is different (than Europe) because everyone judges you based on how much money you make.

Stop reading so much in to it and just wait till Tuesday.

06-29-2008, 06:14 PM
John Torturella

I cant wait until Tuesday. This way we can stop worry too much about articles that say this or that and just move forward in getting ready for the upcoming season.

This offseason is a big one in terms of the direction this team is going in. It all depends, as you all know, on the impending free agencies of Jagr, Rozsival, Straka, Shanahan, Avery, Mara and Malik.

Think about this for a second. These players (with the exception of Mara and Malik) are basically the core of our team. If they all leave this team is going to be in a complete transition period.

We will be losing our Captain in Jagr and 2 alternate Captains in Shanahan and Straka. Also we will lose a big emotional presence in Avery.

Its hard to imagine how much of an impact replacing the key players will have on the style the team plays, the mood of a the locker room and the way the coach needs to get messages to his players.

We all know the likes of Shanny, Straka and Jags are extremely infuential on the team and most of all the young players.

To a point, direction of the entire organization depends on Sather's decisions to re-sign or not re-sign a Jagr or Shanahan.

If most or all of these players move on, whether to other teams or retirement, we might be entering a couple year period of completely rebuilding where the season would be considered a success if you just make the playoffs.

It is somewhat sad to see a period with pretty good results (I like to call it the Jagr Era) suddenly come to an end.

The next few seasons are pretty much riding on just this years July free agency period.

Old
06-29-2008, 06:27 PM
94now

I think Jagr message is pretty clear:

1. I wont play for less then Drury or Gomez if Sather wants me.
2. It is not about money. It is about recognition. Since this is New York and money here has always been the way to recognize an athlete, I must take money.

Did anyone think that Jagr is worth less then 7 million? Not me.
Even if he isn't, it was not his fault that Sather shelled so much on Gomer and Dru. Should they make 6 million, I am sure Jagr would settle for 6.5 million a year just to be on top. Otherwise he would be the same as those two. I do not blame him for feeling insulted with this. No one can be great as a result of insult, esp. a school children who take it every day and then come to this board to say bad things about one of the greatest players in history of the game.

Last edited by 94now: 06-29-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old
06-29-2008, 06:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
I cant wait until Tuesday. This way we can stop worry too much about articles that say this or that and just move forward in getting ready for the upcoming season.

This offseason is a big one in terms of the direction this team is going in. It all depends, as you all know, on the impending free agencies of Jagr, Rozsival, Straka, Shanahan, Avery, Mara and Malik.

Think about this for a second. These players (with the exception of Mara and Malik) are basically the core of our team. If they all leave this team is going to be in a complete transition period.

We will be losing our Captain in Jagr and 2 alternate Captains in Shanahan and Straka. Also we will lose a big emotional presence in Avery.

Its hard to imagine how much of an impact replacing the key players will have on the style the team plays, the mood of a the locker room and the way the coach needs to get messages to his players.

We all know the likes of Shanny, Straka and Jags are extremely infuential on the team and most of all the young players.

To a point, direction of the entire organization depends on Sather's decisions to re-sign or not re-sign a Jagr or Shanahan.

If most or all of these players move on, whether to other teams or retirement, we might be entering a couple year period of completely rebuilding where the season would be considered a success if you just make the playoffs.

It is somewhat sad to see a period with pretty good results (I like to call it the Jagr Era) suddenly come to an end.

The next few seasons are pretty much riding on just this years July free agency period.
I think the direction is clear. That was the reason for signing Drury and Gomez.

Old
06-29-2008, 06:45 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
I think the direction is clear. That was the reason for signing Drury and Gomez.
I dont know about that. If you dont sign your free agents, depending on who you bring in, it sends the system into a rebuild. No one here thinks Gomez and Drury are capable of being the go to guys. The direction of the team depends on the signings Sather makes.

Old
06-29-2008, 06:47 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
The direction of the team depends on the signings Sather makes.
No. Maybe Sather needs to get creative and make a trade.

Old
06-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with these commments.

First of all we don't know what the question was...we only know the quote...

Second we don't know if this was translated...things do get lost in translation.....just ask Bill Murray..

Third most star players have egos...Jagr isn't just a star playing the czech republic he is an icon...he is also talking about needing management stroking his ego not the players looking at him diffrently...think of the audience he is talking too..

A top 10 all time player looking for respect in dollars....is this something new in sports?

If the Rangers don't have Jagr next year and Gomez has to shoulder the burden for the offense we are in major trouble. Jagr got pounded last year by other teams top defenseman...Can Gomez handle that and be productive?

If Sather talked to Jagr over the past two months or so this wouldn't be an issue..That's Jagrs major gripe with the Rangers (from everything else that i've read) and Jagr has a point.

Sather letting everybody twist in the wind could backfire in the Rangers face.
Agree 100%. What else do you expect from a franchise player? Everything he is saying in this quote is the truth, its not the generic response that we normally here. It's the truth whether you accept it or not. And who are our go to guys? Gomez and Drury? Give me a break. Anyone who thinks that is delusional. There are teams in Russia, Czech, NHL etc; that would give their left nut for this guy to play on their team as the veteran star to lead their team.

Old
06-29-2008, 06:56 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
No. Maybe Sather needs to get creative and make a trade.
Maybe. But if they let our UFAs go and dont bring in anyone noteworthy, this team is in rebuild mode.

Old
06-29-2008, 07:36 PM
94now

Quote:
Should direction be clear, we wouldn't have such a lengthy discussions. It is not.
I think Sather wanted one of the two, but got both and all the time since then tried to make sense out of it and convince everyone including, perhaps, himself.

Old
06-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
I think we can put whatever label we want on it. I don't think Gomez is a superstar. But he is the highest paid player and you have to do whatever you can to maximize that investment.
You can maximize the Gomez investment and still keep Jagr around. I don't think one HAS to effect the other. I think even Jagr knows where the money would go when it comes to free agents when he was quoted as saying this to reporters about bringing in a center to play with him..

Quote:
As for playing with Sundin, Jagr said, "it would be interesting for sure...But I cannot imagine how they can sign another center. That seems counterproductive to me because (someone) would have to move to wing...and not be as productive. Sundin would help me. But it would potentially hurt other guys."
Sounds like someone that understands his role on the team..Someone that understands how important Gomez and Drury are to winning...Funny how this quote wasn't thrown in by the thread started to show a little balance...funny indeed...

Quote:
The fact is Gomez was this team's leading scorer for the majority of the season despite playing with an relatively ineffective Shanahan.

The fact that we had to worry about whether or not Jagr would be happy is a problem in itself.
The fact also remains that Gomez played his best and most productive hockey with Jagr as his winger...The Rangers can sign Jagr and get a player to fit Gomez wing. I don't think one is mutally exclusive to the other...

Quote:
And the season before that?
Jagr had 30G and 66A during the 06-07 season. I'll take that "down" season from anybody next year...

Quote:
I think the expectations with him back are a little high.
My expecations are 80 points next year...We aren't getting that from anybody else we bring in this offseason. We aren't getting that from any winger we bring in for Gomez unless we want to break the bank for Hossa OR trade our blue chip prospects for somebody...

Quote:
Isn't Jagr saying the same things? How often have we heard that returning to the Rangers is a top choice/first priority? It sounds to me as if the money is just as important to Jagr as it was Shanahan.
No I don't think the situations are the same at all. If money was the most important thing wouldn't Jagr sign a contract with Omsk? Shanny had no business getting that contract last offseason. He certainly didn't earn a a raise with his play and could've easily been replaced last offseason. You can't say the same for Jagr this offseason. Also Jagr waited in New York for his work visa to expire in hopes of meeting sather to talk about the future. Here we have the captain of the team wanting to be paid fairly by the team he helped bring out of the embarassment we all witnessed for 8 years.

Quote:

I'd be more concerned about losing Avery than I would Jagr.
The first part I disagree with but I'm not sure I'll change your mind. I think if Jagr returns next season with a more mature Dubinsky as his center his production will rise. I think I'll just leave it at that...

The second part of your post I sorta agree with and I sorta disagree with. I don't think it comes down to one or the other though between Avery and Jagr...

Old
06-30-2008, 08:49 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Jagr had 30G and 66A during the 06-07 season. I'll take that "down" season from anybody next year...

I think the fact that Jagr had 71 points this season shows that 06-07 was not a down season. His production is declining. To be expected for a 36 year old.

Old
06-30-2008, 08:57 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:

Gotcha..

No.

If Jagr signs for one year -
He won't trust the team that signed him. He just said it himself - the team doesn't respect or trust him because they aren't signing him to a gigantor contract and he wont see it as "his team".
Thats a whole set of problems in itself. If he somehow takes a one year deal he will hold that over everyones head the whole season.

I definitely dont want him for 2 years or more, so with that said let him walk now and turn a new leaf.

Old
06-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
I think the fact that Jagr had 71 points this season shows that 06-07 was not a down season. His production is declining. To be expected for a 36 year old.
Or it could be because he had a busted shoulder heading into the season, trying to recover from major shoulder surgery, and an injury that haunted him the entire year. If anything, it makes that 96 points and 30 goals more commendable and impressive. But some of us just like to think its a decline in talent.... Whatever... This year was an off year. 06-07 he was great but he was hurt.

Old
06-30-2008, 05:33 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Should direction be clear, we wouldn't have such a lengthy discussions. It is not.
I think Sather wanted one of the two, but got both and all the time since then tried to make sense out of it and convince everyone including, perhaps, himself.
Or maybe, he wanted both, got both, has a plan and direction but (and here's the crazy part) hasn't bothered to tell any of us yet.

Old
06-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Blueblood 2

Silly Jagr. He just further reduced the number of teams that will be honestly interested in him. Brush up on your Russian, Jaromir.

Closed Thread