HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Slats letting Avery talk to teams early

Old
06-29-2008, 03:38 PM
segmentation fault

vCash: 500
I think Sather's theory is that noone else will want him for that price so he will lower it to stay in NY.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 04:30 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I don't think any player is ever "effective" at all times but that's besides the point..

Avery played 2 games healthy and 1 game with a LACERATED SPLEEN. I'd be the first guy to say he didn't play well against Buffalo in 07 but it's a little bit of a stretch to call him out for his play this past playoff year.....

Also if we are going to call Avery out for lacluster play in a playoff series how bout his series against the Devils? Do the Rangers beat the Devils without Avery? Probably not..Is that an indictment on the entire TEAM? It probably is...eitherway Avery has value to the Rangers or to whoever he signs with....
we can call guys overpaid but it only takes one owner to write the check.

i like most of what you say SoS but i gotta disagree with this...

the rangers were a better team flat-out than the devils in this years' series. i think they would have won with or without avery. in addition to avery, jagr wasn't being stopped, neither was gomez, nor dubinsky. even drury...and hell, even nigel dawes...were getting chances throughout.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by segmentation fault View Post
I think Sather's theory is that noone else will want him for that price so he will lower it to stay in NY.
Hope ur right but Ryan Malone just got 4.4 million a yr on average ...................and for 7 yrs..!!!!!..........***

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
For once a good move by Sather. Let Sean talk to other teams and get an idea of what he's going to command. Now Slats knows what he will get to go elsewhere and what teams. If Sather really wants him back he should make it a longer deal with a bit less cash now so he stays in NY. I think Avery will be back, esp if we are losing Jagr which looks possible. Avery and JJ were the two guys we needed to resign the most, I doubt Slats lets both walk.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 05:39 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I think Sather doesn't want to set the market for Avery.

06-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think Sather doesn't want to set the market for Avery.
Why not get an idea ofwhat other teams are going to offer and see if we want to bring him back. Maybe Slats doesn't think Sean is gonna get what he is asking from us?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
how do you know this is true?......are you in the locker room?.....

people are pissing and moaning all over the place for not signing malone because he has put up what 55 points?...has a great attitude, gritty, fights, and more.....avery wasnt healthy last year.....period....look at it without yous "i love sean avery glasses on"......if rozsival hadnt played 30 games last year he wouldnt be looking for much of a raise.....i understand what your saying....i like avery a lot and i love what he brings to the team and the game....however in this type of decision where he has had problems in the locker room before i leave the decision to the people who are around him all the time.....if they dont think he is worth it then i will agree, if they do then great he has turned a corner
How do you know it isnt true? are YOU in the lockerroom?

This is a dumbass argument. Point being, there hasnt been any reports about Avery stirring it up like he had in LA, has there??????????????????????????????????

No, there hasnt.

Meaning he hasnt proved himself to be a pain in the ass in the lockerroom

I didnt figure this to be that hard to figure out.

And Im against signing Malone.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 06:19 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
How do you know it isnt true? are YOU in the lockerroom?

This is a dumbass argument. Point being, there hasnt been any reports about Avery stirring it up like he had in LA, has there??????????????????????????????????

No, there hasnt.

Meaning he hasnt proved himself to be a pain in the ass in the lockerroom

I didnt figure this to be that hard to figure out.

And Im against signing Malone.
actually, that was the reason he was traded from LA because he had burned all of his bridges so yes....i do know that.....his teammates didnt like him, his coach didnt like him and he was unwanted....

all i was saying is he has done it in the past, so i will believe who is around him the most, how is that a dumb ass argument? i would understand it if you were there however you have not been, so your argument means nothing......seems like a valid point considering sather would know exactly what goes on behind the scenes from first-person accounts

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Fletch

Singn'...

Sather does not, I agree. But if Sather really was offering $3MM over 3 or 4 seasons a while ago, it is disappointing he didn't come up a bit and get it done for what may've been below market, if he really wanted to keep Avery. On the other hand, perhaps he gave Avery an offer he could refuse and thinks he'll go for an unsane price that Sather can come back and say it wasn't prudent to sign him, thus not looking bad among Avery's fans. Who knows, to be honest with you.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 08:46 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
Brings something that 99% of other player's dont, 50% of the time.

He's on and off fellow and we haven't made it past round two with him and I doubt we ever will. If Avery is so important to this team; why, when we were picked two years in a row to go far, were we stopped short in our tracks?

It could be that Avery gives out every other game whenever he feels like it to do nothing at all on shifts.

We want to throw out FOUR YEARS at Avery? That's like asking for the respect of your team, current teammates, and upcoming prospects to hate their organization because you can already tell he has enemies in his own damn locker room, how does that bode well?
you have to make the PO's before you can advance.

Without Avery this team was and is a dog.

06-07, No way in the hell the NYR make the PO's with trading for him.
07-08, very arguable they miss again, and he missed 20 games. The desperation, life, heart was inexistant when he was out of the lineup, not to mention the O was putrid up until maybe mid Feb.

Without Avery next season, I have no reason to believe the NYR won't return to pre-Avery form. Ugh, if not worse.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:02 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
you have to make the PO's before you can advance.

Without Avery this team was and is a dog.

06-07, No way in the hell the NYR make the PO's with trading for him.
07-08, very arguable they miss again, and he missed 20 games. The desperation, life, heart was inexistant when he was out of the lineup, not to mention the O was putrid up until maybe mid Feb.

Without Avery next season, I have no reason to believe the NYR won't return to pre-Avery form. Ugh, if not worse.
My only problem with this line of reasoning is that it doesn't take into account who would have taken Avery's spot in the lineup. I feel it's safe to say that had he not traded for Avery, Slats would have made a trade for a different player and for all we know that trade would have gotten the team past Buffalo into the ECF.

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:14 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
My only problem with this line of reasoning is that it doesn't take into account who would have taken Avery's spot in the lineup. I feel it's safe to say that had he not traded for Avery, Slats would have made a trade for a different player and for all we know that trade would have gotten the team past Buffalo into the ECF.

fair point, but imo, we never made the POs that yr without him. IMHO, we don't win that STL game, it was over. We were too far back. I'm not convinced. Like others have said, theres very few like Avery, he brought what this team desperatly needed, LIFE. Adding another player, who may have scored a couple more goals, but didn't bring what Sean brings, this team is the same team.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:21 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
take care sean

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:23 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
fair point, but imo, we never made the POs that yr without him. IMHO, we don't win that STL game, it was over. We were too far back. I'm not convinced. Like others have said, theres very few like Avery, he brought what this team desperatly needed, LIFE. Adding another player, who may have scored a couple more goals, but didn't bring what Sean brings, this team is the same team.
100% agree...well said

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:01 PM
John Torturella

There really is no way to tell if Avery would have a positive or negative impact on this team in the post-Jagr era. If JJ goes, its gonna be a completely different team with different leadership. I guess we will have to wait until hockey season.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Evgeny Oliker

This is what happens when you overpay for guys like Gomez and Drury...you end up with little money to give other key players.

What Avery is asking for is more than fair. Malone just signed for $4.5 million a season for 7 seasons. Malone puts up about 40-50 points a season...I actually think Avery can put up even more points than that if healthy. Both players add a physical dimension. Avery is actually the more annoying of the two and probably has more intangibles.

Sather needs to stop bickering over a lousy million and get a deal done...he is known for doing this and losing good players.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
This is what happens when you overpay for guys like Gomez and Drury...you end up with little money to give other key players.

What Avery is asking for is more than fair. Malone just signed for $4.5 million a season for 7 seasons. Malone puts up about 40-50 points a season...I actually think Avery can put up even more points than that if healthy. Both players add a physical dimension. Avery is actually the more annoying of the two and probably has more intangibles.

Sather needs to stop bickering over a lousy million and get a deal done...he is known for doing this and losing good players.
we actually have plenty of Cap space, so maybe you should look up stuff before posting. And Avery is definetly not worth 4 mil per same as Malone isnt worth 4.4 per.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
we actually have plenty of Cap space, so maybe you should look up stuff before posting. And Avery is definetly not worth 4 mil per same as Malone isnt worth 4.4 per.
The Cap space is nice now...but what happens when our young players start putting up some nice point totals and need to be re-signed? You think you can then low-ball with guys like Cherepanov or Sanguinetti? It wont work.

The Rangers need to stay off the UFA market this year, re-sign their own key players like Avery, and let the young kids prove themselves. This is not the time to give out more $6 or $7 or $8 million contracts.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
The Cap space is nice now...but what happens when our young players start putting up some nice point totals and need to be re-signed? You think you can then low-ball with guys like Cherepanov or Sanguinetti? It wont work.

The Rangers need to stay off the UFA market this year, re-sign their own key players like Avery, and let the young kids prove themselves. This is not the time to give out more $6 or $7 or $8 million contracts.
all i have to say is wow. once they need to be re-signed the cap will go up about 10-12 million, and who even knows if they will turn out to be expected. and lastly if we re-sign Jagr by the time Cherepanov and Sangs need new contracts JJ will be gone. Exactly, now tell me more things that are false facts big guy.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 11:37 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
It will suck if he leaves. The Rangers won't find another player that brings the same varied talents Sean brings.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 09:00 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:

Yeah, and Malone was money in the POs for Pittsburgh this past year. He is a) capitalizing on peaking just as he hit the market and b) the fact that he performed on a stage that Sean never has. Furthermore, he plays a game that is just as valuable, if not moreso, than Sean's unique skillset - the big forward who can clean up the garbage goals from in front.

If Sean hadn't disappeared against BUF last year and PIT this year... he might be worth the money he wants. As it is, and with his downsides, he isn't.

I'm not saying that I would've signed Malone to the same agreement - I'm saying that holding him up as an example for why Avery deserves the contract he's seeking is a bad argument.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 09:14 AM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
think about it and stay in NY if you know what's good for you.
I think he'll sign with the Islanders. And it's going to be awful and painful to see.

Avery loves this city. He also loves money. The Isles can offer him both of those.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 09:37 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
It will suck if he leaves. The Rangers won't find another player that brings the same varied talents Sean brings.
Including flipping off tv crews, wetting fans under the age of 12 and not speaking to the press for weeks at a clip.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:57 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Including flipping off tv crews, wetting fans under the age of 12 and not speaking to the press for weeks at a clip.

I'd prefer that he didn't do that stuff, but it's not a deal breaker.

Malone's contract certainly changes my view on how much Sather should offer Avery.

I would hope if we don't re-sign him the money saved is used to get us a d-man or winger who can really help.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:09 PM
pzilla3

I can't justify giving a guy who can turn on a team in a heartbeat 4 million a year.

pzilla3 is offline   Reply With Quote