HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Malone's Ominous signing

Old
06-29-2008, 04:44 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
I tell you what. The Bolts are a hot goaltender away from being a scarey team. Heck they are already scarey.

06-29-2008, 04:54 PM
nyrage

smart move by Tampa - I'm sure it helped

The Lightning have signed hockey scout Greg Malone from the Phoenix Coyotes. Greg is the father of Ryan Malone.

nyrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 05:00 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
How much do you think Redden will go for?

He will easily be getting over 5.5 million.

Ryder I wouldnt even pay 3 million for, he is a lazy player.
but all im saying is 5.5 for a player of reddens caliber is pretty good value.....one of the best values on the market.......

a player like stuart for 3.5-4 is a very good value as well

so is a 25-30 goal scorer for 2.5-3 million

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 05:11 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
I cant believe it. I seriously think Malone is ridiculously overrated.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 05:52 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save By Richter View Post
Not worried at all. 7 yr. $31M = about $4.4M per year. I thought he'd get more than that.
I think it's a really good deal. Look around and you'll find worse players making more money.

06-29-2008, 06:25 PM
mike14

Malone's a guy I wanted the Rangers o target this offseason. I could have lived with the amount, but 7 years is too long for a player like Malone IMO. Tampa will be an interesting team to watch

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 06:37 PM
jniklast

i think he's overrated anyway, so no temptation for slats to overpay him now...

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I'm kind of more surprised at the years now. I mean, this is a guy who barely hit 50 points playing with you know who. I'm not sure he'll even be a 45 point player during those years.

If Malone got 4.5 million for his production, then Avery surely isn't insane wanting 4 million.
Because Avery scored 27 goals last season and has had three 20+ goal seasons right...? OR Avery can bring Malone's size into the corner muscling people off the puck... right? Give me a break. Avery needs to score 20 goals first before the two can even be compared. And yeah... Malone scored 20+ goals without the likes of Malkin before so its not a fluke.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrancemperium View Post
I'll be glad if we get Orpik and Hossa
You got a spare $13M per year laying around?

Hoss will want $8 at least to come to NY and Brooks will probably want $5M per to play and live in NYC. With Jags looking like he's headed to Russia, I fully expect Sather to make a big move for Hossa (basically swapping Jagr's salary), but I don't think he can afford to make a move for Orpik too given what he's already paying Drury, Gomez and Lundqvist can he?

Gomez has a front-loaded deal right? What's his cap hit drop to in 2008-2009, about $8M? Drury will be around $7M... Lundqvist $4M+. That's $19M. Hossa makes $27M for four players. Orpik would make roughly $32M for 5 players. I don't think Sather would do that but I could be wrong. That's almost 57% of your entire payroll.

If the Pens offer Orpik a long-term deal around $4m a year he'll stay IMO. Indications are Shero always starts low so in this case they probably offered him $3.3M a year or something like that and he said no. He's probably looking for 6 years $25M, something like that. If that's the case Shero will sign him IMO. If he wants something more like 6 years $30M, he won't.

PS - Malone's deal is a frickin joke. Can't wait for the rest of the leagues 45pt players to start asking for $4M+, long term deals. Ridiculous. TB's owner needs medication between this move and Melrose. Frickin jackass.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 07:20 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Because Avery scored 27 goals last season and has had three 20+ goal seasons right...? OR Avery can bring Malone's size into the corner muscling people off the puck... right? Give me a break. Avery needs to score 20 goals first before the two can even be compared. And yeah... Malone scored 20+ goals without the likes of Malkin before so its not a fluke.
if this signing is true, anyone think avery's price will go down?? i know most of us want him to be resigned but depending on the cost. 3.5 is perfect for avery. if not him then matt cooke would get i think 3.0 at most. any other agitators out there? scott nichol is another one but he is a cheap shot player, dont want him or ruutu. maybe steve ott from dallas, maybe backman for ott???

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 07:24 PM
pld459666

Both Dollars and years are to much for Malone.

5 years at 3.75-m milliom max

As for Avery, another poster above mentioned 3.5, at this point that's not a horrible number but about 500K mor ethna i think he's worth

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
but all im saying is 5.5 for a player of reddens caliber is pretty good value.....one of the best values on the market.......

a player like stuart for 3.5-4 is a very good value as well

so is a 25-30 goal scorer for 2.5-3 million
I'm sorry, but if you think Redden at 5.5 is good value, you're out of your mind. I would sign Redden to no more than 3.5 mill a year, because he's barely worth that. Take it from a Sens fan - he is a borderline top 4 d-man these days. He's not a #1 or a #2. Not close.

Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
At the end of the day, who is to say Malone is making too much? (as it pertains to NHL salaries)

Sure we can all have our opinions about the length of the deal, to which I too believe is a little lengthy for a power forward.

Fact of the matter is this, if a team (Tampa) wants a guys rights (Malone) they will and have to pay what they see fit. Whether you like it or not...because believe me...if they don't, somebody will.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 07:45 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Exactly. I'm tired of people claiming Malone is overrated despite seeing him play only 8 times a year. He has an excellent skillset and would have fit in perfectly with our system. He fills several roles on this team and I'm disappointed he isn't going to be a Ranger.

The same can be applied to Hossa. Salary aside, he is precisely the type of player the Rangers should be targeting. He is a better scoring threat than anyone in this organization right now, frankly that includes Jagr too. Maybe he isn't a 'game breaker' on a constant basis, but who was it that knocked us out of the playoffs this year? Hossa and Gomez immediately showed chemistry this year during the all-star game and he plays the two-way style this team is moving towards.

Frankly, the only thing keeping me from standing outside MSG for the next 2 days with a "SIGN HOSSA NOW" sign is the fact that he is going to want a big contract. However, it's more feasible than people think.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

We have to open up against the bolts. They are gettin good.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 07:58 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
I tell you what. The Bolts are a hot goaltender away from being a scarey team. Heck they are already scarey.
I bet they sign Emery. He's stable, had a tough yr, but a change in TB will really help. Being to the Finals doesn't hurt either.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 08:01 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Guys like Nagy, Hagman, Meittinen, Williams, Vrborny, Vrbata, Brunette, etc.. might not break the bank but supply Gomez or Drury with the type of winger they need.

You dont need to get the flashy name or the guy that supposedly is the perfect fit for the team for you to get the job done.
I would not mind getting Brunette. He'd look good playing with Gomez and his experience playing with Gaborik means he knows how to play with someone who can fly down the ice. The only problem I wouldn't expect him to put in more than 20 goals so the question would be, who is scoring goals on that line? Of course, even at the age of 35, I think I would prefer Rolston over Brunette but so would a lot of other teams. Man, can't believe he's 35 already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
How much do you think Redden will go for?

He will easily be getting over 5.5 million.

Ryder I wouldnt even pay 3 million for, he is a lazy player.
I forget where but I read on some hockey site, the writers were saying he had an off season. Still up there in points and +11. Not sure what those guys were talking about. I'd LOVE to have Redden. I'd also sign up for 5.5 million. Especially considering Chara got 7.5

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 08:02 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Exactly. I'm tired of people claiming Malone is overrated despite seeing him play only 8 times a year. He has an excellent skillset and would have fit in perfectly with our system. He fills several roles on this team and I'm disappointed he isn't going to be a Ranger.

The same can be applied to Hossa. Salary aside, he is precisely the type of player the Rangers should be targeting. He is a better scoring threat than anyone in this organization right now, frankly that includes Jagr too. Maybe he isn't a 'game breaker' on a constant basis, but who was it that knocked us out of the playoffs this year? Hossa and Gomez immediately showed chemistry this year during the all-star game and he plays the two-way style this team is moving towards.

Frankly, the only thing keeping me from standing outside MSG for the next 2 days with a "SIGN HOSSA NOW" sign is the fact that he is going to want a big contract. However, it's more feasible than people think.
My brother in Atlanta goes to many games every season and follows the Thrashers closely. He always tells me Hossa >>> Kovalchuk.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:22 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
You got a spare $13M per year laying around?

Hoss will want $8 at least to come to NY and Brooks will probably want $5M per to play and live in NYC. With Jags looking like he's headed to Russia, I fully expect Sather to make a big move for Hossa (basically swapping Jagr's salary), but I don't think he can afford to make a move for Orpik too given what he's already paying Drury, Gomez and Lundqvist can he?

Gomez has a front-loaded deal right? What's his cap hit drop to in 2008-2009, about $8M? Drury will be around $7M... Lundqvist $4M+. That's $19M. Hossa makes $27M for four players. Orpik would make roughly $32M for 5 players. I don't think Sather would do that but I could be wrong. That's almost 57% of your entire payroll.

If the Pens offer Orpik a long-term deal around $4m a year he'll stay IMO. Indications are Shero always starts low so in this case they probably offered him $3.3M a year or something like that and he said no. He's probably looking for 6 years $25M, something like that. If that's the case Shero will sign him IMO. If he wants something more like 6 years $30M, he won't.

PS - Malone's deal is a frickin joke. Can't wait for the rest of the leagues 45pt players to start asking for $4M+, long term deals. Ridiculous. TB's owner needs medication between this move and Melrose. Frickin jackass.

Cap hits are averaged out over the life of the contract.

Malone is a good player but not $4 mil + for 7 years good. It's a very underwhelming UFA class this year but one can already see that teams will not be able to control themselves.

Hossa is an excellent player but there's no way he replaces Jagr. If we're going to spend $ 7-8 mil + on one or the other I'd very much prefer Jaromir who can at least carry a team when he's interested. I do like Orpik but getting into a bidding war over such a mediocre crop of free agents is ridiculous. This is why the cap is going to continue to get higher and higher--teams overpaying players long term.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Ace2008

I think that if 29 goal marian doesn't want to come to NYR

then Brian Rolston and his bonus friendly contract would be a very good fit for the NYR ....awesome PP awareness...speed, and decent PK ability as well...granted he might top out at 25 goals...but he's 6'2/210 lbs...bigger then even Marian Hossa.....come on a 1 or 2 yr deal for a chance to move forward----I like Rolston if both Marian and Jagr are no-no's this year

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:31 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2008 View Post
I think that if 29 goal marian doesn't want to come to NYR

then Brian Rolston and his bonus friendly contract would be a very good fit for the NYR ....awesome PP awareness...speed, and decent PK ability as well...granted he might top out at 25 goals...but he's 6'2/210 lbs...bigger then even Marian Hossa.....come on a 1 or 2 yr deal for a chance to move forward----I like Rolston if both Marian and Jagr are no-no's this year
I've been pushing for Rolston since April...but I think the problem is that he will have damn near 29 other suitors.

06-29-2008, 09:33 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save By Richter View Post
Not worried at all. 7 yr. $31M = about $4.4M per year. I thought he'd get more than that.
I know, it's not like he's getting something outrageous. And then to imply that this will lead to Campbell getting $20m a year is just a slight overreaction.

The shame about this time of year is how everyone gets way too caught up in numbers. No one is mentioning how Malone is physical. How Malone plays the pk and pp. How he can get in low and bang in some ugly goals. How he fights. How he plays defense. He's not an elite player by any stretch, but he instantly improved Tampa's scoring, team D, pk, pp, grit and character in 1 signing. I'm not saying he put them over the top in any category or that he is bringing something that can't be found elsewhere, but he is a very well rounded player and many issues were addressed in 1 move. The dollars? well that's how it works with the UFA market, you overpay relative to homegrown talent.

You can also say that his numbers were inflated by playing with Crosby or Malkin, but he's going to play with Lecavlier or Stampkos. Now Tampa has peace of mind that they have a player that can hang with that level of skill set. This is a good signing and it's a shame we missed out on the opportunity to address so many weaknesses with 1 player, especially with so many of these holes opening July 1.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:35 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
7 years $31.5MM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2420...s=topStory_nhl

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:40 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I doubt we get Campbell.

I don't think Sather is that foolish to spend that much for Campbell.

I think Rozsival would be more worth it.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:43 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
7 years @ 4.5/year for Malone is asinine.

Although, Tampa has improved drastically.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote