HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Malone's Ominous signing

Old
06-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
http://ww3.startribune.com/blogs/wildblog/

Rolstons rights traded to Tampa..

Last edited by Son of Steinbrenner: 06-29-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:45 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
**** TAMPA. Slats better not be sitting on his ass all off-season instead he could've acquired his rights for like a 4th rounder like Malone.

What is the Dumb test?

Last edited by Burlington Bomb 26: 06-29-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:48 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Or we can tank for three straight seasons and get 3 #1's

Worked for another team that I can't quite put my finger on
No, no, no. You've got it all wrong. They tanked five straight years ending up with picks 5,1,2,1 and 2 in that order.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:49 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Wow... they're not messing around.

They're going to have one hell of a team.

I can see them going deep into the playoffs. No joke.

Lecavalier
St. Louis
Stamkos
Prospal
Malone
Rolston

Yeesh

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2008 View Post
I think that if 29 goal marian doesn't want to come to NYR

then Brian Rolston and his bonus friendly contract would be a very good fit for the NYR ....awesome PP awareness...speed, and decent PK ability as well...granted he might top out at 25 goals...but he's 6'2/210 lbs...bigger then even Marian Hossa.....come on a 1 or 2 yr deal for a chance to move forward----I like Rolston if both Marian and Jagr are no-no's this year
29 Goals Marian Hossa was the same as 25 Goals Jaromir Jagr... It was a fluke season. Hossa has too much skill to be a 29 goal scorer and register 66 points. He is an 85 - 100 point player usually good for 35 - 40 goals. Hossa is the only adequate replacement for Jagr on the market.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post

Lecavalier
St. Louis
Stamkos
Prospal
Malone
Rolston

Yeesh
Wow i know.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
**** TAMPA. Slats better not be sitting on his ass all off-season instead he could've acquired his rights for like a 4th rounder like Malone.

What is the Dumb test?
I fixed the link...the dumb test is a pop up i get pretty much everytime i go to a new page on my computer...it kinda fits me!

Old
06-29-2008, 09:56 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I have an odd feeling Sather wants Hossa.

With all the negative press lately about Jagr and Avery. And the fact i really looks like we are not bringing back any of our UFAs...

I'm not saying i'm either for or against it.

However, Gomez & Hossa would be a sweet combo.

Old
06-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
I have an odd feeling Sather wants Hossa.

With all the negative press lately about Jagr and Avery. And the fact i really looks like we are not bringing back any of our UFAs...

I'm not saying i'm either for or against it.

However, Gomez & Hossa would be a sweet combo.
Just like Jagr and Gomez were supposed to fit...Sometimes things don't work out like they are supposed too..

I'm not sure how much negative press there has been about Jagr and Avery leaving. The only guy i can think of is Brooks but is he even respected by his peers? (it's a legit question and i'm sad to say i agree with brooks on the avery subject but that's def not this topic)

Old
06-29-2008, 09:59 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangernick23 View Post
Wow i know.
And we haven't even hit July 1 yet. I wonder what else they have up their sleeves.

They will be able to lure big names now with that group of forwards,

Old
06-29-2008, 10:03 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Just like Jagr and Gomez were supposed to fit...Sometimes things don't work out like they are supposed too..

I'm not sure how much negative press there has been about Jagr and Avery leaving. The only guy i can think of is Brooks but is he even respected by his peers? (it's a legit question and i'm sad to say i agree with brooks on the avery subject but that's def not this topic)
Well, Brooks is an odd writer. I agree, i tend to feel that most of the stuff he writes is simply to get under people's skin.

And yes, sometimes things don't work as planned. Although you can't stop taking chances because life is uncertain.

Do i think shelling out 8+ mil on Hossa is a real viable option for us right now? No. But that doesn't mean it won't happen.

I was just saying that i have a feeling that Sather will be hard after Hossa on July 1.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Hossa is an excellent player but there's no way he replaces Jagr. If we're going to spend $ 7-8 mil + on one or the other I'd very much prefer Jaromir who can at least carry a team when he's interested. I do like Orpik but getting into a bidding war over such a mediocre crop of free agents is ridiculous. This is why the cap is going to continue to get higher and higher--teams overpaying players long term.
Exactly. Jagr doesn't seem interested in playing a full season of competitive hockey anymore. It's pretty clear from his recent comments that his only concern is money and not winning or being part of a team.

Hossa may be looking for huge money, but at least he earns it every night. The guy hustles and plays BOTH ends of the ice, something Jagr doesn't even make an attempt at doing. Plus the guy had 10 points in 12 regular season games with Pittsburgh, and 26 in 20 playoff games. This team doesn't need some 50 goal scoring, max-cap earning superstar to be competitive. Give me 2 top lines that are a legitimate threat over one line full of superstars any night of the week. Look at Ottawa, they're a prime example.

How much better would we have been this season if we didn't have Jagr turning pucks over at the blue-line and then skating off for a change instead of back checking?

I'm tired of this team being about an individual instead of a team. Why are people bending over backwards for a guy who doesn't really seem to care where he plays as long as he's getting a big check? Hossa wants the big check, but at least he's looking to get it on a competitive squad. The guy wants to win. I don't want a guy who will throw the team on his back when he feels like it; I want a team of guys who are willing to lay it all out there night after night.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:05 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

It is going to be an interesting summer, to say the least.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:13 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:

Lecavalier
St. Louis
Stamkos
Prospal
Malone
Rolston

Yeesh
Not unless their defense steps up their game quite a bit. Their offense has never been the problem. It's their goaltending and their blueline.

Quote:
Gomez and Hossa showed quite a bit of chemistry at the All-Star game, despite never having set foot on the ice together.

This Jagr - Gomez argument is bogus. Hossa plays the same style as Gomez; quick transition with tons of speed through the neutral zone. Jagr and Gomez play different styles, but both like the carry the puck. I highly doubt Slats brought Gomez in just for Jagr's benefit. It's much more likely that Renney said, "I want Gomez and Drury. They fit the system I'm going to be implementing; Go get them." Goes right along with the fact that Slats is hardballing Jagr right now.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:19 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Not unless their defense steps up their game quite a bit. Their offense has never been the problem. It's their goaltending and their blueline.

Gomez and Hossa showed quite a bit of chemistry at the All-Star game, despite never having set foot on the ice together.

This Jagr - Gomez argument is bogus. Hossa plays the same style as Gomez; quick transition with tons of speed through the neutral zone. Jagr and Gomez play different styles, but both like the carry the puck. I highly doubt Slats brought Gomez in just for Jagr's benefit. It's much more likely that Renney said, "I want Gomez and Drury. They fit the system I'm going to be implementing; Go get them." Goes right along with the fact that Slats is hardballing Jagr right now.
The All Star Game?

I don't think Renney tells Sather go get me anything...If you read everything that was written byt the writers and on this board at the time of the signing it was a foregone conclussion that Gomez was brought in for Jagr. when I argued that neither Gomez and Drury fit Jagr and the Rangers should play Straka as Jagrs center I was crucified on this board. (I was right about the 1st part wrong about the 2nd)

Gomez and Hossa chemistry in the ALL STAR GAME means nothing...absolutly nothing...

Old
06-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
ORen Koules is gonna rule the Yahoo! Fantasy Hockey season this year!

Seriously, how many times have we actually seen this strategy work?

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:24 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Anyone think Kolzig or Huet have a chance of landing in Tampa?

Old
06-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Anyone think Kolzig or Huet have a chance of landing in Tampa?
Huet is about to sign with the Caps as GMGM has stated, and i think Kolzig will retire.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
The All Star Game?

I don't think Renney tells Sather go get me anything...If you read everything that was written byt the writers and on this board at the time of the signing it was a foregone conclussion that Gomez was brought in for Jagr. when I argued that neither Gomez and Drury fit Jagr and the Rangers should play Straka as Jagrs center I was crucified on this board. (I was right about the 1st part wrong about the 2nd)

Gomez and Hossa chemistry in the ALL STAR GAME means nothing...absolutly nothing...
It means you at least got a chance to see them skate together. Obviously it's not a guarantee, but it's better than just assuming with no evidence at all, as they did with Gomez and Jagr.

Renney doesn't say what players he wants? Really? The coach doesn't have any input on what players the GM should target?

What does the opinion of writers or HF members have to do with the Rangers reasoning for anything? Did Sather come straight out and say we signed Gomez to play with Jagr? The only statement I recall is that they'd be trying Gomez out with Jagr to start the year, which was to be assumed anyway. I knew from the start that it wouldn't be a good idea, but I wasn't an active member here at the time or I would have agreed with you in that position.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:31 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
Huet is about to sign with the Caps as GMGM has stated, and i think Kolzig will retire.
I hope not.

That was a real bummer how it ended for him in Washington.

It would be a nice "feel good" story if he signed on somewhere like Tampa and led them to the playoffs in a turn around year for their franchise.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Doesn't Boston need a goalie? I could see Ollie going there.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Doesn't Boston need a goalie? I could see Ollie going there.
I thought they had Thomas and Fernandez?

Old
06-29-2008, 11:14 PM
PGHRanger

Quote:
Exactly. I'm tired of people claiming Malone is overrated despite seeing him play only 8 times a year. He has an excellent skillset and would have fit in perfectly with our system. He fills several roles on this team and I'm disappointed he isn't going to be a Ranger.
Couldn't have said it better. Malone makes room for the Crosby's and Malkin's to make plays by digging/banging in the corners and standing in front of the net.

Stop with the stats. Malone would have gotten even more on the open market had he waited because every GM would love to have a player like him. He brings much more than points to a team.

PGHRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:25 AM
NYR Viper

now the winger market is uber thin.....i just hope sather has a trade in the works....

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:25 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Exactly. Jagr doesn't seem interested in playing a full season of competitive hockey anymore. It's pretty clear from his recent comments that his only concern is money and not winning or being part of a team.

Hossa may be looking for huge money, but at least he earns it every night. The guy hustles and plays BOTH ends of the ice, something Jagr doesn't even make an attempt at doing. Plus the guy had 10 points in 12 regular season games with Pittsburgh, and 26 in 20 playoff games. This team doesn't need some 50 goal scoring, max-cap earning superstar to be competitive. Give me 2 top lines that are a legitimate threat over one line full of superstars any night of the week. Look at Ottawa, they're a prime example.

How much better would we have been this season if we didn't have Jagr turning pucks over at the blue-line and then skating off for a change instead of back checking?

I'm tired of this team being about an individual instead of a team. Why are people bending over backwards for a guy who doesn't really seem to care where he plays as long as he's getting a big check? Hossa wants the big check, but at least he's looking to get it on a competitive squad. The guy wants to win. I don't want a guy who will throw the team on his back when he feels like it; I want a team of guys who are willing to lay it all out there night after night.
Truthfully I'm not a fan of Hossa's. I think he's soft--that he plays his best when he's the second banana not the first. That's what it's been like in Ottawa, Atlanta and Pittsburgh. On top of which I'm wondering that if the Rangers sign him for $8 mil + for the next 6 years they won't be taking themselves out of the market when some better player comes along. This will be the guy who leads the offense for the next few years if we sign him--and at this point I wouldn't call him a slam dunk HOF'er. Rangers may make the playoffs with him being the key offensive guy but legitimate hopes for a Stanley Cup with him leading the way are a pipedream.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote