HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Another Jagr thread. Sundin+Jagr is Brooks #1 plan

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2008, 05:40 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Another Jagr thread. Sundin+Jagr is Brooks #1 plan

Quote:
THE Rangers' perfect 2008-09 world would feature Jaromir Jagr and Mats Sundin combining forces on the first line with Chris Drury moving to left wing to skate with Scott Gomez on the second unit.
Quote:
Jagr needn't worry about Drury resenting a shift to Gomez's wing. Indeed, Drury and Gomez have talked about it, and are excited about the opportunity to work together. This won't be an issue.

The issue is getting Jagr to buy in. Should Sundin go elsewhere, the Rangers are prepared to acquire a center to complement Jagr while moving Brandon Dubinsky into a third-line role. The idea is to have Jagr at his best, not merely to have him.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/06302008...agr_117886.htm

Old
06-30-2008, 05:47 AM
Linnarhult

vCash: 500
I like it!

Old
06-30-2008, 05:56 AM
ruckus*

I'm gonna need a dutch to mull this one over.

Old
06-30-2008, 05:58 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I have the feeling that this team is going to be very hard ot root for next year...

06-30-2008, 06:04 AM
NYRangers09

This is a great idea!!! The only thing i would miss is Drury's faceoffs, but he can take them then play the rest of the shift at wing.

Old
06-30-2008, 06:05 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

The way I see the Rangers two plans is to A) retain Jagr, add Sundin, re-sign Rozsival and that's it. If not, they'll have to B) repeat last July 1 and go hard after Hossa and Campbell.

Route A is the cheaper and safer route, less changeover, no long term deals. But route B will allow us to incorporate more youth and turn the reigns over to 'Drumez'.

Old
06-30-2008, 06:13 AM
Forever Blue

If Drury is excited about moving to wing, then I'm perfectly fine with going the Sundin/Jagr route.

If so, this will be the third off-season in a row the Rangers signed one of my favorite non-Rangers (Shanahan, Drury, Sundin).

Old
06-30-2008, 06:18 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

It's actually a good idea. i dont mind it much, but no i doubt that the rangers have intrest in their true needs....PP QB, say goodbye to having Campbell/Redden if this is indeed true. I think Rosi is indeed coming back.

Old
06-30-2008, 06:21 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
The way I see the Rangers two plans is to A) retain Jagr, add Sundin, re-sign Rozsival and that's it. If not, they'll have to B) repeat last July 1 and go hard after Hossa and Campbell.

Route A is the cheaper and safer route, less changeover, no long term deals. But route B will allow us to incorporate more youth and turn the reigns over to 'Drumez'.
Incorporate more youth when? This year? I actually think Route A is the more "youth-friendly" move as I would assume both Jagr and Sundin would be signed to short term (2 year max.) deals that would expire just as our best kids are ready to play. Hossa and Campbell, if signed, will be around for quite some time.

Prucha-Sundin-Jagr
Drury-Gomez-Dawes
Korpikoski-Dubinsky-Callahan
Sjostrom-Betts-Orr

I could live with that offensive lineup, but what about the D? Tomorrow, as always, is going to be a hell of a lot of fun.

Old
06-30-2008, 06:23 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario Lemieux View Post
Incorporate more youth when? This year? I actually think Route A is the more "youth-friendly" move as I would assume both Jagr and Sundin would be signed to short term (2 year max.) deals that would expire just as our best kids are ready to play. Hossa and Campbell, if signed, will be around for quite some time.

Prucha-Sundin-Jagr
Drury-Gomez-Dawes
Korpikoski-Dubinsky-Callahan
Sjostrom-Betts-Orr

I could live with that offensive lineup, but what about the D? Tomorrow, as always, is going to be a hell of a lot of fun.
That offense is pretty sexy. The Defense i suspect them to make at least one move.

Staal-Rozsival
Tyutin-Girardi
Streit-Backman

Old
06-30-2008, 06:26 AM
Ola

Does no Avery & Bäckman equals Campbell/Redden(/McCabe)???

I've been thinking allot lately about what Slats intentions really are.

The alternative that I find most likely right now is that Slats might let Avery walk in order to make room for a UFA D in addition to resigning Rozsival.

Lets say Slats is able to resign Roszival at like 5.75m per and then Redden/Campbell at 6.5m per. And Sundin and Jagr at two years and 6.5m per; this is how our lineup would look like:

Dawes/Prucha(0.7/1.6)-Sundin(6.5)-Jagr(6.5)
Sanguetti(0.827(?))-Rozsival(5.75)

Drury(7.05)-Gomez(7.357)-Korpikoski(0.827)
Staal(0.827)-Redden(6.0)

Dawes/Prucha(0.7/1.6)-Dubinsky(0.633)-Callahan(0.575)
Toots(2.8)-Girardi(1.55)

Jämtin/Hollweg(0.5)-Betts(0.615)-Orr(0.537)
=51.6
+Lundqvist&Valley (6.875+0.5)
=58.5

//The rookies will account for a bigger hit against the cap, but they probably won't reach all their bonuses and if JJ and Sundin got bonuses who can be defeered it won't make a diffrence.

Old
06-30-2008, 06:29 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario Lemieux View Post

Yeah, Jagr and Sundin would mean the Rangers are still shooting for the cup while waiting for their prospects to develop.

In all honesty, it's not a bad idea. Unless the Rangers can pull some trades to bring in top quality young players from another team, their future now really rests on guys like Cherepanov panning out, and he's obviously at least a year away.

So...re-sign your captain from last year, who can still be one of the best players on the ice at any given game. Go after a top centerman to give him someone to play with, and don't hand out long contracts to either of them. In the meantime, hope your young roster players continue to develop (therefor making the team better) and look to the guys in Hartford to continue their development and maybe get a callup when necessary and help the team out. The team stays competitive while it waits for some of its young players to develop

The downside, like you said, is the D and what the Rangers can do with it. They may end up having to re-sign someone like Rozsival and go after a depth defenseman to get some physicality back there, if they want. Campbell and Redden probably become too pricey, but I've been pretty "meh" on having them longterm anyways. It's alright if it works out that way, but I'm not crying if the Rangers miss out on the chance to overpay either one of them.

It's not perfect, but it wouldn't be bad

Old
06-30-2008, 06:30 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
Streit-Backman
That is a defensive nightmare moreso than Malik-Mara. I prefer what I posted in another thread a few days ago-- This is assuming we can get Dawes & Sjostrom locked up for less than 2.5mil combined, it should fit.

Prucha-Sundin(5.5)-Jagr(6)
Drury-Gomez-Callahan
Dawes-Dubinsky-Korpedo
Byers-Betts-Sjostrom

Staal-Rozsival(4)
Tyutin-Girardi
Backman-Orpik(3)

Lundqvist
Valiquette

Old
06-30-2008, 06:33 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Still not a long term fix, but a stop-gag until players like anisimov and cherry are ready for the NHL. If this does happen, I would like to see korpido on the LW on the 1st line. Call me crazy, but I think he might excel there.

Old
06-30-2008, 06:38 AM
TUQ

Quote:
That is a defensive nightmare moreso than Malik-Mara. I prefer what I posted in another thread a few days ago-- This is assuming we can get Dawes & Sjostrom locked up for less than 2.5mil combined, it should fit.

Drury-Gomez-Callahan
Dawes-Dubinsky-Korpedo
Byers-Betts-Sjostrom

Staal-Rozsival(4)
Tyutin-Girardi
Backman-Orpik(3)

Lundqvist
Valiquette
Well, Jagr and Sundin won't sign for you fo 11,5 M COMBINED even if you were Mother Teresa.

Old
06-30-2008, 06:40 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:

Drury-Gomez-Callahan
Dawes-Dubinsky-Korpedo
Byers-Betts-Sjostrom

Staal-Rozsival(4)
Tyutin-Girardi
Backman-Orpik(3)

Lundqvist
Valiquette
Orpik would need at least 4 and i think 4 may be a little high for Rozsival

Old
06-30-2008, 06:40 AM
newyorkrangers11

if we were to trade for a young forward, or just a talented one, who'd we give up... more young forwards? Prucha, Callahan.. or Hartford guys who for all we know in a few years can be the next Jagr...

Old
06-30-2008, 06:41 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I've been thinking allot lately about what Slats intentions really are.

The alternative that I find most likely right now is that Slats might let Avery walk in order to make room for a UFA D in addition to resigning Rozsival.

Lets say Slats is able to resign Roszival at like 5.75m per and then Redden/Campbell at 6.5m per. And Sundin and Jagr at two years and 6.5m per; this is how our lineup would look like:

Dawes/Prucha(0.7/1.6)-Sundin(6.5)-Jagr(6.5)
Sanguetti(0.827(?))-Rozsival(5.75)

Drury(7.05)-Gomez(7.357)-Korpikoski(0.827)
Staal(0.827)-Redden(6.0)

Dawes/Prucha(0.7/1.6)-Dubinsky(0.633)-Callahan(0.575)
Toots(2.8)-Girardi(1.55)

Jämtin/Hollweg(0.5)-Betts(0.615)-Orr(0.537)
=51.6
+Lundqvist&Valley (6.875+0.5)
=58.5

//The rookies will account for a bigger hit against the cap, but they probably won't reach all their bonuses and if JJ and Sundin got bonuses who can be defeered it won't make a diffrence.
Rozsival will get less than 4 mil per

Old
06-30-2008, 06:55 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
Orpik would need at least 4 and i think 4 may be a little high for Rozsival
So switch em. 7 between both of them can get it done in some manner for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUQ View Post
Well, Jagr and Sundin won't sign for you fo 11,5 M COMBINED even if you were Mother Teresa.
Sundin has been signing 1yr deals for about that much with Toronto for the past few years. Jagr's salary can included bonuses. But an 11.5 cap hit for both of them is doable.

Old
06-30-2008, 06:57 AM
eco's bones

You know I'm not really a big Larry Brooks basher but on the 28th he heads his column with Jaromir unlikely to return and today he's got us signing not only Jagr but Sundin as well. Does he really know what's going on or is he just speculating? If I were to guess I would say today's column is a lot about speculating.

Old
06-30-2008, 07:06 AM
TUQ

Quote:
So switch em. 7 between both of them can get it done in some manner for sure.

Sundin has been signing 1yr/5.5 deals for about that much with Toronto for the past few years. Jagr's salary can included bonuses. But an 11.5 cap hit for both of them is doable.
Sundin did that last year and that time he took home town discount because he wanted to mak the run for SC in TO badly. Therefore he gave the discount to the management to sign Blake... how that turned out everyone knows. Sundin isn't going to do that again to the team he has never played befere for and on the day which can be (and probably will be) his last payday.

As you can read everywhere, Jagr is looking for "1st star of the team" money too.

I assume they will both sign more likely for 16 M combined than 11,5. And through bonuses you can "spare" only so much, not taking into account the fact that bonuses can be applied only to 1 year contracts, which both players are presumably not willing to execute.

Old
06-30-2008, 07:11 AM
NYR1724

I really, really hate this idea. What happens if Sundin + Jagr do not mesh together. We try Dubinsky with Jagr again and put Sundin on the third line? Additionally, where do we find the money to actually fix the needs this team has. If its true that Drury is fine on the wing, that is great. But it still does not change the fact that if you go all in on Mats and JJ that we will lack the $ to sign defensemen and a winger or two.

Old
06-30-2008, 07:20 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I think it's a reasonable plan. It's certainly not the longterm solution, but it will give us some more time to evaluate prospects at the AHL level before throwing them into the fire. I see no harm in giving Anisimov another season at Hartford, so I'm alright with what the line projections would look like with Jagr and Sundin up top.

It's just pain.
Old
06-30-2008, 07:22 AM
shoothepuck

More pure speculation, and still no mention of the solid D Man that the team really needs. Can't wait for 5 oclock tommorow.

Old
06-30-2008, 07:22 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2330 View Post
I really, really hate this idea. What happens if Sundin + Jagr do not mesh together. We try Dubinsky with Jagr again and put Sundin on the third line? Additionally, where do we find the money to actually fix the needs this team has. If its true that Drury is fine on the wing, that is great. But it still does not change the fact that if you go all in on Mats and JJ that we will lack the $ to sign defensemen and a winger or two.
I'm confident that JJ+Sundin would mesh incredibly well. But as for your question, well if they don't get the job done then we just look forward to next season when we have both of them, plus Backman, Orr and Hollweg off the books, the cap rises, the free agent market is hopefully much better, and have we boatloads of money to spend. This option is much better than throwing out LTC's at Hossa/Campbell/Redden in a feeble attempt to address our needs right now when they're really not long term solutions.

Closed Thread