HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Another Jagr thread. Sundin+Jagr is Brooks #1 plan

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Its been stated by many outlets that Sather is holding steady on 1 year offers for both Jagr and Sundin. Its also been stated that the Rangers are both of these players #1 NHL destination. Ridiculous idea? Hardly.

If either of them demand more than 1 year, then I agree its time to move in a different direction. If they both agree to a 1 year deal, its the best thing that can happen given the circumstances.

Of course Hossa is better than both of them, but guess what, thats why he is going to break the bank with some team.

30 million per season invested to Gomez, Drury, Lundqvist, and Hossa for at least the next 4 years is going to pose a problem.
The fact that Sather is holding steady on 1 year offers shouldn't assure anyone that they'll both take them. Chances are if Slats isn't willing to give them 2 years, some other team like Montreal surely will be.

I've also never heard anyone say Sundin's first choice is the Rangers.

Old
06-30-2008, 09:53 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I hate the fact that we are trying to toy with one of the only strengths of the Rangers and thats down the middle.

Dubinsky, Gomez, Drury and Betts should all be used as centers.
Strengths? The only one who I might agree about would be Betts. The rest are pretty pitiful, like a fly w/o wings.

Old
06-30-2008, 09:56 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Strengths? The only one who I might agree about would be Betts. The rest are pretty pitiful, like a fly w/o wings.
center is the rangers strength....any center who played with wingers below their level wouldnt be as good as they possibly could be of course but if you think that group of centers isnt up there in the leagues best group you are mistaken

Old
06-30-2008, 09:56 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Dubinsky, Gomez and Drury are pitiful?

It's just pain.
Old
06-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Pizza

Like others have said, it sounds like a decent stop gap plan. Our kids still need more time to develop. Just not sure why Sather has been so coy with Jagr. A lot of folks were saying that Prucha would be gone by now. Maybe this "plan" explains that in part.

Old
06-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:

Old
KenAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
Quote:
Jagr needn't worry about Drury resenting a shift to Gomez's wing. Indeed, Drury and Gomez have talked about it, and are excited about the opportunity to work together. This won't be an issue.

The issue is getting Jagr to buy in. Should Sundin go elsewhere, the Rangers are prepared to acquire a center to complement Jagr while moving Brandon Dubinsky into a third-line role. The idea is to have Jagr at his best, not merely to have him.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/06302008...agr_117886.htm
That is interesting. I wonder if that "center to complement Jagr" might be Nylander?

Old
The Thomas J.*

This is good news, but this is also Brooks looking to fill space in his column, so who knows what is false, true or purly speculation.

Has Jagr ever played with a power forward/center like sundin before? The two of them on the same line together would jut be scary, Sundin has been double teamed his entire career just like Jagr has, if those two are playing together on the same line together there won't be enough bodies to cover both of hem, someone is going to score.

I hope both deals get done for one to two years, the cap be damed!

Old
06-30-2008, 10:28 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAF View Post
That is interesting. I wonder if that "center to complement Jagr" might be Nylander?
It's going to have to be via trade, which I absolutely hate, since there are no decent UFA #1 centers out there.

Old
06-30-2008, 10:31 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
It's going to have to be via trade, which I absolutely hate, since there are no decent UFA #1 centers out there.
yes there is... his name is Sundin. he would automatically become the best center on the team.

Old
06-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Kostik

Closest player playing with Jagr comparable to Sundin is Lang during his prime.
They meshed really well, but thats no guarantee Sundin would play well with JJ.
It seems logical, both are playing strong on the puck and are protecting the puck almost like noone else. Problem might be with LW on that line....Prucha?Can be knocked out really easily. Dawes?almost same as Prucha?Drury?Playing different style.

If Sather's plan is to re-sign Jagr, Rozsival and sign Sundin + Orpik....it might not be ideal, but still better than to sign Ryder, Avery and Cambell

Old
06-30-2008, 10:32 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I'm surprised no one is *****ing that any one of Shanahan, Straka, or Jagr could have been traded at the deadline last season, because there's a good chance the Rangers might lose all three with nothing in return.

Old
06-30-2008, 10:34 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
I'm surprised no one is *****ing that any one of Shanahan, Straka, or Jagr could have been traded at the deadline last season, because there's a good chance the Rangers might lose all three with nothing in return.
I wish the Rangers had done that but can't do anything about it now.

Old
06-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
yes there is... his name is Sundin. he would automatically become the best center on the team.
Sorry, other than Sundin. I was referring to this part of the article because it was quoted in the earlier post:

Quote:
The issue is getting Jagr to buy in. Should Sundin go elsewhere, the Rangers are prepared to acquire a center to complement Jagr while moving Brandon Dubinsky into a third-line role. The idea is to have Jagr at his best, not merely to have him.
That line really makes me nervous.

Old
06-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
They were a playoff team. Why on earth would Sather start selling?

As for Nylander being the center brought in for Jagr...impossible...never going to happen. We are not going to give up assets to assume Nylanders ridiculous contract.

Old
06-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
They were going to make the playoffs, usually those teams aren't the ones selling off their soon-to-be UFA's. I'm sure Slats made a few calls but didn't find anything that intrigued him.

Old
06-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Here's a list of UFA centers from the Columbus Dispatch:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...0.html?sid=101

Could Morrison be a fit for a year?

Old
06-30-2008, 10:41 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Not for me.

Don't think signing Sundin makes us a legitimate Cup contender. We hardly competed against the Pens. Can you imagine how we would have done against the Red Wings?

We need to sign a player or two who can help us now and also 3-5 years down the line.

Old
06-30-2008, 10:41 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
They were going to make the playoffs, usually those teams aren't the ones selling off their soon-to-be UFA's. I'm sure Slats made a few calls but didn't find anything that intrigued him.
Oh i know, I was just a little shocked no one brought it up before i did.

Old
06-30-2008, 10:42 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
Not for me.

Don't think signing Sundin makes us a legitimate Cup contender. We hardly competed against the Pens. Can you imagine how we would have done against the Red Wings?

We need to sign a player or two who can help us now and also 3-5 years down the line.
great in theory but did you see the UFA list... none match the criteria. Except maybe Hossa who will still be really good 3-5 yrs from now.

Old
06-30-2008, 10:42 AM
broadwayblue

This is really a good short term option. It keeps us competitive this year, and keeps our cap flexibility going forward.

Old
06-30-2008, 10:45 AM
GAGLine

Sign Sundin and Orpik. Resign Jagr and Rosy. Fill in the rest from Hartford (Korpedo, Byers and Potter).

Old
06-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAF View Post
4.875 cap hit for the next 3 years with a NMC. Absolutely ridiculous to even bring this up.

Old
06-30-2008, 10:46 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
This is really a good short term option. It keeps us competitive this year, and keeps our cap flexibility going forward.
exactly... it just makes good sense if you want to be a playoff contender... if you want to miss the playoffs, and not be a top 5 pick b/c of our goalie, than you don't sign Jagr and Sundin.

Old
06-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Sign Sundin and Orpik. Resign Jagr and Rosy. Fill in the rest from Hartford (Korpedo, Byers and Potter).
Like where you're headed with this. Although, cap permitting, Id like to see Sather go after another top 6 forward talent...someone like Huselius.

Dawes - Sundin - Jagr
Drury - Gomez - Huselius
Callahan - Dubinsky - Prucha/Sjostrom
Orr/Byers - Betts - Korpikoski

Staal - Roszival
Tyutin - Girardi
Backman - Orpik

Closed Thread