HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Free Agent Frenzy Thread (Deals from other teams)

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
I guess going from last overall to the conference finals does not equate to their moves having paid off.
That had as much to do with Carter and Richards coming into their own as with signing all the UFA's.

Old
06-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Would you prefer 5 years at 6, compared to 7 at 4.3 ? I can't quite wrap my mind around why one is really better than the other.
I'd rather have 7 years at 4.3 but that's really like asking me whether I prefer you drive a nail through my finger or my toe. With a gun to my head, I might choose the latter but I'd really prefer a third option

That being said, it's a free market, kind of. If Tampa wants to sign such a contract, it's their problem.

What I'm really curious about is to see if certain teams with a lot of leverage (like the Philly Flyers) will try to wiggle their way out of the current conditions in future CBAs.

Old
06-30-2008, 10:36 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
That had as much to do with Carter and Richards coming into their own as with signing all the UFA's.
Nothing to do with Briere and Timonen?

Old
06-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Tusk

Quote:
I didn't realize he was a good rookie on a bad team heading into the lockout.
Thatès the one thing I remember about him, I thought at the time when the Pens got Crosby that if he was as good as projected, he should turn Malone into a 30-40 goal scorer no problem. That never happened.

Old
06-30-2008, 11:17 AM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Except that no matter what salaries are 56% of revenue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
I get what you are saying but Beaker is right: no matter what, there are now some mechanisms that make it easier for a team to remain wise. So while these contracts have effects that can be felt all over the league, the bottom line for the NHL is always maintained because the NHLPA can't make more than a pre-determined piece of the pie.

I understand the relations to revenues. But the cynic in me says, that's just the owners trying to control themselves. And yet with no forsight at all, they are handing out contracts that could be crippling down the road.

Or is this a further attempt at PARITY.

Riddle me this....If economic conditions change drastically, and salary cap drops, what happens with these contracts? Just curious.

Old
06-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
I understand the relations to revenues. But the cynic in me says, that's just the owners trying to control themselves. And yet with no forsight at all, they are handing out contracts that could be crippling down the road.

Riddle me this....If economic conditions change drastically, and salary cap drops, what happens with these contracts? Just curious.
I'm not a CBA expert but I know there are various clauses for them to act like idiots and the league not to suffer. For instance, 20% of a player's salary is put in escrow each season, until the new yearly salary cap is calculated.

BTW, I totally agree with you. I think ownership and management in general can be shortsighted when it comes to contract and have built this CBA with this in mind. To, as you say, control themselves somewhat. What's comical is that they still try to find loopholes and ways out. It's like a heroin addict quitting, and then sneaking out of rehab for a score. ****ing sad.

I don't think what they came up is full proof for individual teams (it would be possible for a team to screw themselves bad over the long haul but it seems the system in place *probably* will maintain the overall financial health of the league.

Old
06-30-2008, 11:56 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post

They drop by the same percentage.... that's why they have the escrow account.

Same thing as the primary cut of 24%... so that the salaries would equate 55% of revenues.

Old
06-30-2008, 01:08 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
I'd rather have 7 years at 4.3 but that's really like asking me whether I prefer you drive a nail through my finger or my toe. With a gun to my head, I might choose the latter but I'd really prefer a third option

That being said, it's a free market, kind of. If Tampa wants to sign such a contract, it's their problem.

What I'm really curious about is to see if certain teams with a lot of leverage (like the Philly Flyers) will try to wiggle their way out of the current conditions in future CBAs.
Really then, your arguement boils down to a peeve of mine, you believe that TB fell in love with the idea of the player moreso than the player ?

If Higgins has a solid 2 way season in 08-09, say 28 goals 28 assists, plays against quality opposition and plays plus hockey, would you have an issue with 5 years for 20M, 6 for 26 ?

Old
06-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Artie

Quote:
Really then, your arguement boils down to a peeve of mine, you believe that TB fell in love with the idea of the player moreso than the player ?

If Higgins has a solid 2 way season in 08-09, say 28 goals 28 assists, plays against quality opposition and plays plus hockey, would you have an issue with 5 years for 20M, 6 for 26 ?
Isn't that the case most of the time.

Most of the disappointment and frustration on this board is often linked to a lack of any deal by BG don't you think?

I'm thinking that BG might have felt the same way about Tanguay, seems he's been after him for a while. Except of course when Pierre Lacroix reportedly offered Tanguay as part of the original Theo deal.

Old
06-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

Gaustad, 4 years in Buffalo
Prospal, multi year deal in Tampa

Visnovsky dissapointed with the trade but happy to be going to a place where hockey is #1

Old
06-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
I do, sort of. It does smell like ownership meddling. Trying to make a statement by signing some guys and create more hype. It's also more than a coincidence that his dad was just hired as the head scout.

Quote:
I wouldn't question the decision, assuming he's dominant and not the product of linemates or having other issues.

It boils down to certain things. For instance, Montreal knows Higgins. Internally, you know what's going on. Management, the staff, teammates. The whole internal dynamic is there. That's a sure thing and it's worth something, IMO.

You know I don't like the obsession with youth, but securing Higgins for 5 years would bring him to 30 years old, while Malone will be 35. I can't even feel comfortable about his output in the next three years, much less in 6-7.

Sure, Higgins has had ups and downs and I feel he's been a tad overrated around here but he's a good hockey player I find very useful. Although it's been a rocky road, I'm satisfied with the progress he's made so far. I could understand gambling on him long term in case the cap continues to rise. I think he can grow to play a variety of key roles, where I see Malone more as a spare part, a complement to an already good team.

Old
07-01-2008, 12:37 AM
Kachino

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242101&l...=topStory_main
Quote:
Sources tell TSN that the Anaheim Ducks are close to signing forward Corey Perry to a multi-year contract similar to the one that Ryan Getzlaf signed last season worth approximately $5.325 million per season.

Old
07-01-2008, 01:07 AM
holyhabs87

wasnt higgins the same player we wanted to be our captain last year and projected to score 30-40 a year. now he scored more goals this year and hes on everyones trade him list.

i have always felt he would be one of the best 3rd liners in the league with his potential. and if he scores 25+ as a 3rd liner ill be happy.

Old
07-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Beakermania*

Mike Green Re-signs in Washington

4years 5.25 million per year

Per Sportsnet and TSN

Old
07-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Kachino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Mike Green Re-signs in Washington

4years 5.25 million per year

Per Sportsnet and TSN
Hey Beaker... Go to the Free Agent Day Thread...

Old
07-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachino82 View Post
Hey Beaker... Go to the Free Agent Day Thread...
Ok....

Old
07-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Ryder, congrats on your long term 4-5 million contract!
Guess I was a little wrong and you are a jerk.

Closed Thread