HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Avery on the market early; seeking 4yrs/$16m

Old
06-29-2008, 06:19 PM
Dr Love

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
No. They offered him 7 yrs at $7M a piece. The Flyers offered him 8 yrs at $6.5M a piece.
Which is more money per season, which is the heart of the point.

Dr Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Tucker316*

Send a message via MSN to Tucker316*
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGETR View Post
I'd love to have the guy in Vancouver.

He would be living in the greatest city in North America (no arguement there). A great hockey city, and he would definately be in the spot light with our media outlets here.

Vancouver is home to many movie stars, obviously not as many as NYC, but still a very high number.

Vancouver would easily pay what he's asking for, and he could definately be great on the 3rd line with Kesler and Burrows. We could finally get rid of Cowan and Rypien, as well as Isbister and Pyatt. As Avery would take basically all their roles into 1 guy.

The Kesler/Burrows line is already one of the top 3 checking lines in the NHL. Add Avery to that and it's basically unstoppable.

And best of all, we have the cap space to afford whatever he wants.
lol, greatest city in North America sans argument. Pffft.

Tucker316* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 06:34 PM
AMGETR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker316 View Post
lol, greatest city in North America sans argument. Pffft.
Hey I love Montreal. Don't get me wrong. Hell, I have half of my extended family living there, and I was born there.

But Vancouver is a MUCH more beautiful city hands down. From the Pacific Ocean lining the province, to the mammoth mountains that line the other side of the province. For the past 10 years Vancouver has been rated between the #1/#2 spot for best place in the world to live. Back and fourth between Vancouver and Zurich, I'll take that over Montreal's dramtic climate changes any day of the week.

The only thing that Montreal has superior to Vancouver is of course fine eatery, and night life. And obviously, hockey is a bigger market there. But for a city that has never won a Stanley Cup, and has had 4 consecutive yearly sellouts (games) I'd say that's pretty respectable.

AMGETR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 08:06 PM
peperebougon*

If he gets that contract, he'll end up being bought out tucker style.

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:08 PM
IdiotsPickedMyName*

Guess he likes the idea of getting bought out.

IdiotsPickedMyName* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGETR* View Post
I'd love to have the guy in Vancouver.

He would be living in the greatest city in North America (no arguement there). A great hockey city, and he would definately be in the spot light with our media outlets here.

Vancouver is home to many movie stars, obviously not as many as NYC, but still a very high number.

Vancouver would easily pay what he's asking for, and he could definately be great on the 3rd line with Kesler and Burrows. We could finally get rid of Cowan and Rypien, as well as Isbister and Pyatt. As Avery would take basically all their roles into 1 guy.

The Kesler/Burrows line is already one of the top 3 checking lines in the NHL. Add Avery to that and it's basically unstoppable.

And best of all, we have the cap space to afford whatever he wants.
How is it that a checking line becomes unstoppable?
Maybe unpenetrable was the word you were looking for?

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 11:00 PM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

*sigh*

Leafs in 5...4...3...

Jeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krnuckfan View Post
4 mil for a guy who's career high in points is 39

Not much better, but still.

Jeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 11:07 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Hey I love Montreal. Don't get me wrong. Hell, I have half of my extended family living there, and I was born there.

But Vancouver is a MUCH more beautiful city hands down. From the Pacific Ocean lining the province, to the mammoth mountains that line the other side of the province. For the past 10 years Vancouver has been rated between the #1/#2 spot for best place in the world to live. Back and fourth between Vancouver and Zurich, I'll take that over Montreal's dramtic climate changes any day of the week.

The only thing that Montreal has superior to Vancouver is of course fine eatery, and night life. And obviously, hockey is a bigger market there. But for a city that has never won a Stanley Cup, and has had 4 consecutive yearly sellouts (games) I'd say that's pretty respectable.
I'd take a Schwartz smoked meat sandwhich before a beach any day

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 11:36 PM
HatTrick89

Send a message via AIM to HatTrick89
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan View Post
He had 48 pts in 06/07...
Ok, ok...He had 48 points...I misread the stats sheet because he got traded and it listed 28 points on LA and 20 on NYR...But still...4 million? Avery? Yikes...

HatTrick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:20 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
I'd take a Schwartz smoked meat sandwhich before a beach any day
Smoke Meat Pete baby! But the sushi out here is to die for.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 01:23 AM
dynamoovechkin

Useful little player, but a distraction to say the least. Avery is just such an attention ***** that an offer by Columbus, say or some such remote NHL outpost cannot be taken seriously by his camp.

When Avery was hurt this year, he went and sat with the MSG denizens of the "blue seats", garnering all kinds of attention and adoration from Ranger fans-for all the wrong reasons.

Problem is, when he disappears, which is often, he is not worth the locker room black hole that he is. Without strong leaders, the contrary nature of his personality is just too damn high maintenance.

The guy took an internship at Vogue and his NHL picture has him in a Mohawk and some German tourist square glasses for *** sakes!. The guy has a high need to be in a high profile city, and for all his speed and legendary agitation, a long term deal is not worth the trouble.

How would like to be an NHL team where every road trip, one third line winger becomes public enemy number one, garnering all kinds of negative attention. At least Ken Linseman could score...

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 03:18 AM
ck26
7,709 miles & runnin

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
about double the points
You'd pay $2,000,000 for 4 goals?

Well, I guess that answers the question of why you aren't working as an NHL GM ...

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 09:25 AM
Captain Monglobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamoovechkin View Post
The guy has a high need to be in a high profile city
So did another NY athelete, a certain Joe "Willie" Namath.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 09:45 AM
The Big Dog*

Quote:

Don't forget the constant rain, the drug needles lining the streets and the serial killers roaming the city. Vancouver rocks!

The Big Dog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:18 AM
RinkOnEStreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Monglobster View Post
So did another NY athelete, a certain Joe "Willie" Namath.
You mean the most overrated quarterback of all time?

RinkOnEStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:27 AM
NYVanfan

i dont want this guy or Tucker on the Canucks, but I fear they're exactly the type of guys Gillis will chase (and possibly overpay for ..ugh)

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
He won't be back in LA.
Quoted for truth.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:39 AM
coolbean04

Quote:

I live 10 min. from NYC but I've been to Montreal about 10 times, Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver 3 times.

Vancouver hands down beats the crap out of Montreal as a city. Nothing against Montreal, Vancouver is just that beautiful. I would even rate Vancouver ahead of NYC. I've been to A LOT of places all over the world, I would say Vancouver is top 3 place in the entire world. A lot of people rate Sydney #1 but I have never been there.

I would live in Vancouver if I could but my career doesn't allow it. I'm a Futures trader and we work with Eastern time. No way do I want to be trading at 6:30am.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Finnpin

Avery is not stupid asking that price but the one who pays it is one dumb mf!

Finnpin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:45 AM
coolbean04

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Habitant View Post
Don't forget the constant rain, the drug needles lining the streets and the serial killers roaming the city. Vancouver rocks!
Montreal is a city that's dirtier with a lot more hobo's on the street. I can't walk without constantly being asked for money. Vancouver does have its share of druggies but Vancouver does the right thing. They confine them to one or two blocks. In the end, I still love both cities. I try to go to Montreal at least once a year. Vancouver is tougher since I can't drive and have to take a 6 hour flight.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
You'd pay $2,000,000 for 4 goals?

Well, I guess that answers the question of why you aren't working as an NHL GM ...
first of all, I got GM offers from 3 NHL teams straight out of Law school, but I decided to pursue my acting career instead

and Avery had 11 more points in 16 less games. Ott averages about .25 PPG over his career compared to Avery's .44. so yeah, I'd pay $2M for that.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote