HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 Prospect Camp

Old
06-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
He has made that clear since the minute he was drafted. He wants to play now, but he will do what the Preds want for him development wize...

06-28-2008, 01:59 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Saying that Wilson stands out to your eyes is positive. You should be able to spot a stakes horse amoung high price claimers. I had to chuckle when the City Paper quoted about when he was asked how he compares himself to Hartnell, meaning someone who made the jump to the NHL right away. He said something like "they don't compare me to Hartnell they compare me to Ron Francis." The guy doesn't lack confidence!
I actually thought about that today. But the only reason I thought that was because since Hartnell left we haven't had anyone that has a big body and goes to the net, consistently. And Wilson has been doing that. Also, his skating reminds me of Legwands, it seems very smooth. I think it's going to be a hard decision as to whether he goes back to BU or to Mil (can he?) or starts in Nashville.

They did some 2-on-2 scrimmage today and Wilson was great on defense, he kept the guys wide and took them off the puck. Defintely can see he takes care of his own end well.

The goalies looked better Friday than Thursday. Much sharper. After the whole practice Mitch Korn kept about 10-12 skaters and all 4 goalies and put the goalies through a rotation of drills. One was right in front of me where a player banks the puck off of some boards that Korn had set up next to the net and the goalie has to play the bank of the shot off the board. It was funny, all 4 goalies started out strong, up and down, glove saves, side to side, really into it wanting to impress. After a few minutes you could see how tired they had got and it was taking longer to get up and get from side to side or to make a save.

Blake Geoffrion's mom was there for a while. He really does look bigger and stronger. I was really impressed with him.

Franson looked better today, he broke up some 2-on-1's and had a sweet goal in the 2on2 scrimmage.

Blum was not out there again, but acording to Felder's blog on HB, Blum has blisters on his foot and I guess had trouble with his skates. But he also said Blum has gained some weight so that's good news.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 09:49 AM
Andromedan

Send a message via ICQ to Andromedan
What about Spaling?

Andromedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

We might see Colin in the AHL this year....It doesn't sound like he would mind.

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 04:08 PM
oreilly22

Quote:
Nice update guys, thanks.

Good to hear about Santorelli and Geoffrion. It's a bit discouraging to me when I hear we're sort of stuck with some of our third and fourth line grinders due to contracts. I had been hoping that someone like Santorelli was a possibility. But at least I can have hope that some guys about as good, but maybe younger, and with some more potential are in the pipeline.

Stuff I read about Geoffreon says he really made a nice improvement in the last year. So your reports saying he looked good and can skate sound positive. I remember not liking that pick at all. Glad I was wrong and he may someday contribute.

Saying that Wilson stands out to your eyes is positive. You should be able to spot a stakes horse amoung high price claimers. I had to chuckle when the City Paper quoted about when he was asked how he compares himself to Hartnell, meaning someone who made the jump to the NHL right away. He said something like "they don't compare me to Hartnell they compare me to Ron Francis." The guy doesn't lack confidence!

I like hearing that Josi looked sharp. Could be a good pick even though it looks like a logjam at defense. Who knows what shakes out in two or three years.
The good thing about this is after this next season I believe that the flood gates will open on the 3rd and 4th lines as several of the incumbents are set to have their contracts expire. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the contracts of Bonk, Ortmeyer, Nichol, Smithson, and Fiddler all end after next season? Personally I hope we keep Nichol and Fiddler and let some rooks with more potential fill the remaining spots after next season.

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 04:21 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
We might see Colin in the AHL this year....It doesn't sound like he would mind.
I wonder if he'd be better served in the AHL, learning under pro-style coaches? Or would he be better off at BU, playing fewer games, and still have a coach who is well thought of and who Wilson credits for much of his defensive game.

I sort of wouldn't mind him going back to school. Less wear and tear possibly.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 04:22 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreilly22 View Post
The good thing about this is after this next season I believe that the flood gates will open on the 3rd and 4th lines as several of the incumbents are set to have their contracts expire.
I guess I'll have to be more patient.

Old
06-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
I wonder if he'd be better served in the AHL, learning under pro-style coaches? Or would he be better off at BU, playing fewer games, and still have a coach who is well thought of and who Wilson credits for much of his defensive game.

I sort of wouldn't mind him going back to school. Less wear and tear possibly.
True, and I'm not disagreeing. I'm just saying that if Colin truly feels like he can play in the NHL this year (and Poile/coaching staff feel the same way), then the AHL is the best option. It doesn't sound like he would mind heading to the AHL over college if it means he is headed to the NHL ASAP.

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 08:24 AM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303 View Post
I actually thought about that today. But the only reason I thought that was because since Hartnell left we haven't had anyone that has a big body and goes to the net, consistently. And Wilson has been doing that. Also, his skating reminds me of Legwands, it seems very smooth. I think it's going to be a hard decision as to whether he goes back to BU or to Mil (can he?) or starts in Nashville.

They did some 2-on-2 scrimmage today and Wilson was great on defense, he kept the guys wide and took them off the puck. Defintely can see he takes care of his own end well.

The goalies looked better Friday than Thursday. Much sharper. After the whole practice Mitch Korn kept about 10-12 skaters and all 4 goalies and put the goalies through a rotation of drills. One was right in front of me where a player banks the puck off of some boards that Korn had set up next to the net and the goalie has to play the bank of the shot off the board. It was funny, all 4 goalies started out strong, up and down, glove saves, side to side, really into it wanting to impress. After a few minutes you could see how tired they had got and it was taking longer to get up and get from side to side or to make a save.

Blake Geoffrion's mom was there for a while. He really does look bigger and stronger. I was really impressed with him.

Franson looked better today, he broke up some 2-on-1's and had a sweet goal in the 2on2 scrimmage.

I sat beside her Friday and talked for a little bit. She said that the new guys were great. Blake really thinks alot of Colin Wilson, is a great hockey player and a great guy all around. She said, "we really like him, but he plays the same position as Blake so I dont like him too much." It was pretty amusing.

Franson looked great out there, great positionally, seemed pretty strong.

I noticed the goalie energy level too. Dekanich really struggled with the "deflecting pucks off of the boards" drill. he was absolutely gassed.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 01:28 PM
oreilly22

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
I sat beside her Friday and talked for a little bit. She said that the new guys were great. Blake really thinks alot of Colin Wilson, is a great hockey player and a great guy all around. She said, "we really like him, but he plays the same position as Blake so I dont like him too much." It was pretty amusing.

Franson looked great out there, great positionally, seemed pretty strong.

I noticed the goalie energy level too. Dekanich really struggled with the "deflecting pucks off of the boards" drill. he was absolutely gassed.
Hahaha! That is just too funny. I doubt they would play the same type of role to have them be in competition for the spot though. Geoffrion has already played some wing as well as pivot, and done reasonably well. I could see him fitting in nicely on a line with Tootoo and Nichol. How awesome would it be to have somebody raised in the hockey mecca known as Nashville play for the Preds? I think the potential of that happening is so cool. He apparently has the desire and I believe the talent to make it to the NHL, now we just need to find a spot for him. Maybe after this season Poile will find a way to put him in the line up. I actually saw one game this year where Geoffrion was playing against Minnesota. He looked pretty impressive to me. They had him on the penalty kill where he made a diving, sprawling clear down the ice. Very good motor from what I could see in that game. I'm pretty sure he was on the powerplay too. He had a goal and an assist I believe. He played on the first line with Turris where he just laid out some dude with a great hit. He seemed to always make himself available for the pass right in front of the goalie. The commentator guys said that Geoffrion feels he needs to play more of a Tomas Holmstrom role in order to best improve his game. Imo he was the best forward on the ice for Wisconsin not named Turris, and I just say that because I know who Turris is. I'm pretty sure Wisconsin lost iirc in case you were wondering - but hey our guy did good I thought.

Last edited by oreilly22: 06-30-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old
06-30-2008, 01:48 PM
OpenWheel

Yeah, that is funny.

My only knock when we selected Geoffrion was I didn't know much about the guy and some scouting reports seemed to have it as a reach at that spot. I felt we were overpaying for the home town angle. But I read a lot of positive stuff about his development. I'm pleased about that. And the reports from people here seem to back those reports up.

He looks looks to me like a possible 3rd/4rth line grinder replacement who gives you much more than just spot minute grinding. I don't know of his remaining upside, but maybe he could fit into a legitimate 3rd line that can use his strength and skills. Could be a real upgrade next year, or soon.

Edit: I wanted to say that what I didn't like in the draft scouting reports was the "needs to improve his skating" lines. I thought "guys don't usually improve their skating all that much after that age". But the recent reports I've read say stuff like "has really improved his skating." And a couple of you guys from the prospect camp remarked on not remembering his skating being that level before. So it sounds very promising. Good for him.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 06-30-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old
06-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Yeah, that is funny.

My only knock when we selected Geoffrion was I didn't know much about the guy and some scouting reports seemed to have it as a reach at that spot. I felt we were overpaying for the home town angle. But I read a lot of positive stuff about his development. I'm pleased about that. And the reports from people here seem to back those reports up.

He looks looks to me like a possible 3rd/4rth line grinder replacement who gives you much more than just spot minute grinding. I don't know of his remaining upside, but maybe he could fit into a legitimate 3rd line that can use his strength and skills. Could be a real upgrade next year, or soon.
I remember one of his hits being on ESPN Sports Center's Top 10 plays of the night ... he absolutely obliterates one of the opponents ... just a great highlight reel hit

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 01:59 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
I remember one of his hits being on ESPN Sports Center's Top 10 plays of the night ... he absolutely obliterates one of the opponents ... just a great highlight reel hit
Thanks. That's awesome. I often hear about "good size" and then see a prospect who doesn't use it and get disappointed. Sounds like this guy does!

Really, all I know is a few video clips and reports from here and stuff, but it sure is sounding like he has a bit of an all around game but particularly using his strength to play the forecheck and to drive in front of the goal.Very sweet. He'll find a place. NHL teams, and especially the Preds, can use guys like that.

Old
06-30-2008, 02:12 PM
oreilly22

Oh my gosh! I just remembered! One time at a Preds game a couple years ago, Geoffrion sat in the next aisle over from me and my sister only a couple rows up. I'm pretty sure there were some other Badgers with him, but I could naturally only recognize him. They also might have just been friends that he knew that went to Wisconsin. Interestingly enough, it almost looked like he purposely sat right next to the Preds bench where they sit twice. My sister and I decided not to bother him, though.

Old
07-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Sorry for the delay in this but just had to respond to a comment about Greg Flynn.

Because he attends one of the service academies, he has a military commitment to fulfill. I know that some "bending of the rules" (i.e. delaying the commitment) has been made in the past for some players (former Army goalie Brad Roberts is one that comes to mind), but I believe it is on an individual case by case basis.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Sorry for the delay in this but just had to respond to a comment about Greg Flynn.

Because he attends one of the service academies, he has a military commitment to fulfill. I know that some "bending of the rules" (i.e. delaying the commitment) has been made in the past for some players (former Army goalie Brad Roberts is one that comes to mind), but I believe it is on an individual case by case basis.
I think that time can be served in the reserves. Also he can chose any branch of the service to fulfill the commitment. If he wants to join the Coast Guard and stay stateside he can. I don't think he too high on our depth chart anyways.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote