HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Do you guys have any interest in acquiring Pitkanen?

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2008, 12:23 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
He's going to go to Carolina for Erik Cole.
Good now we won't have to see Cole as much.

Old
06-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Are you suggesting the Habs trade Higgins AND Lats for Pitkanen? I'm really glad you are not the GM of this team.

I wouldn't trade either of those guys 1 for 1. We already have good young d-men on the way and Pitkanen is wayyy too inconsistant to trade either of those guys for.
You are underestimating Pitkanen quite a bit, the guy has the potential to be a top 10 Dman in the league, while Higgins's celling is a 2nd liner, and Lats hasn't shown anything yet that he's going to move off the 4th line.

You're telling me you wouldn't trade a 2nd liner, a 4th liner, and cap space for a #1 D with Norris potential ?

Even if we're overpaying, having another quality D would more than make up for the loss of Higgins and Lats, who can both be replaced without too much trouble.

If fact, if we lose any winger, he can be replaced, (even Kovalev) but if we lose Markov or Hammer, we're screwed

Old
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8 View Post
Does Pitkanen play on the opposite side of Hamrlik?

There's rumors that Pitkanen will be traded to a CDN team,

How much does he get payed and how long is his contract, it would be interested to sign him and Sundin, we would pretty much be set.

Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-Pitkanen
Bouillon-Gorges
O'Byrne
Isn't Pitkanen a left D?

Old
centrehice

Quote:
If the Habs were to sign another d-man, Gorges or O'byrne would fall to #7, I doubt Bouillon has droped from #4 to #6 over the off season.
I wouldn't say boullion is number 4. Gorges was getting more top 4 minutes than him at the end of the year.

Old
06-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Pitkanen seems to have a lot of potential. But I think we're not a team that really needs to roll his particular form of dice. You hear some strange things about him, you wonder how he deserves the kind of money he's going to get. (But he *will* get it, in this NHL of ours). At the end of the day, I just don't think we need him, so somebody else will bid more/be more interested than we could be.

Old
06-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
You are underestimating Pitkanen quite a bit, the guy has the potential to be a top 10 Dman in the league, while Higgins's celling is a 2nd liner, and Lats hasn't shown anything yet that he's going to move off the 4th line.

You're telling me you wouldn't trade a 2nd liner, a 4th liner, and cap space for a #1 D with Norris potential ?

Even if we're overpaying, having another quality D would more than make up for the loss of Higgins and Lats, who can both be replaced without too much trouble.

If fact, if we lose any winger, he can be replaced, (even Kovalev) but if we lose Markov or Hammer, we're screwed
If Higgins and Lats are that easy to replace who would replace them on your top 3 lines? I don't see any 25+ goal scoring 2 way guys ready for the NHL in Hamilton...or any 225lbs guys that can score 30 given top 6 ice time. Add to that that they make 3 mil combined(and they should combine for 50-60 goals next year).

Pitkanen has a long long way to go to become a top 10 d-man...the skills are there, but he has a lot of issues with focus, defensive play and hockey sense. If the Habs wanted this type of player they could have thrown 3.5 mil at Streit, he has as much offensive skill as Pitkanen.

Old
06-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post

And who, pretell is going to replace Kovalev?

At the cost to get him, then the cost to sign him, no thanks

Old
06-30-2008, 01:22 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
O'Byrne over Bouillon, thnxs.
Bouillon is so underestimated ...

BOUILLON OVER OBYRNE!

Old
06-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
And who, pretell is going to replace Kovalev?

At the cost to get him, then the cost to sign him, no thanks
AK, SK, Tanguay. Higgins, can all step up and fill the void, but if Markov or Hammer fall, we have no good options.

Quote:
If Higgins and Lats are that easy to replace who would replace them on your top 3 lines? I don't see any 25+ goal scoring 2 way guys ready for the NHL in Hamilton...or any 225lbs guys that can score 30 given top 6 ice time. Add to that that they make 3 mil combined(and they should combine for 50-60 goals next year).

Pitkanen has a long long way to go to become a top 10 d-man...the skills are there, but he has a lot of issues with focus, defensive play and hockey sense. If the Habs wanted this type of player they could have thrown 3.5 mil at Streit, he has as much offensive skill as Pitkanen.
1st of all, please cut the Lats can score 30 given top 6 ice time BS. Lats is on the 4th line because he's not good enough to play on the top 3, players have to earn ice-time, they aren't entitled to it because you think they can score X number of goals if given the chance. Anyways, Higgins is better than Lats in just about every category at this point, and he couldn't get 30 playing with Koivu all year.

2nd, Pitkanen is much better than Streit right now, and he's much younger and has much more potential.

3rd, Tanguay is better than Higgins, SK has already taken Ryder;s spot, and MaxPac/Maxwell/D'Agostini could do as well as Lats. (and even if they don't, that 4th line spot can be filled without to many headaches, unlike a top 2 D spots in case one of Markov or Hammer goes down)

Old
06-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Maximus Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku_All_The_Way View Post

BOUILLON OVER OBYRNE!
bouillon always catch flak on these boards it seems, especially from that guy. get annoying.

Old
06-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by centrehice View Post
I wouldn't say boullion is number 4. Gorges was getting more top 4 minutes than him at the end of the year.
Just when Bouillon returned from his injury, they eased him back in. When both were healthy last year Bouillon was the clear #4 and Gorges #5, O'byrne/Brisebois alternated as #6.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/teams/...lit=0&type=reg

Bouillon averaged 1 more minute per game over the season.

Old
06-30-2008, 01:35 PM
le_sean

If Bouillon is a #4 defenceman on our team then we need some serious help.

Old
06-30-2008, 01:43 PM
King Kovalev

Quote:
Thanks for contributing.

Now follow these simple instructions.

1. Find a Bridge.
2. Get on the Bridge.
3. Jump off of Bridge.
Funny how youre the one talking about contributing, every time I see you post its always a sarcastic 2 or three word post.

Old
06-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Adam91

I'm pretty sure Edmonton wants a top six forward and nothing else in return, no thanks.

Old
06-30-2008, 01:44 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kovalev View Post
Funny how youre the one talking about contributing, every time I see you post its always a sarcastic 2 or three word post.
You deserve nothing more.

Old
06-30-2008, 01:46 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
By the stats, there's no reason to think O'byrne has done anything more than Boullion. They look similar in stats and such but boullion has a slight edge in hits and blocked shots per game and stuff like that. Boullion plays bigger than his size anyway.

Old
06-30-2008, 01:46 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob De Funes View Post
bouillon always catch flak on these boards it seems, especially from that guy. get annoying.
When you can properly construct a sentence......

Old
06-30-2008, 01:50 PM
King Kovalev

I think its kind of sad Bouillon never gets any respect, I mean the guy is really solid on defense when is the last time you saw him getting beat on a one on one? Soory but OByrne is seriously overrated. And for the people saying Obyrne is Bigger blablabla who cares? Bouillon is much tougher, I cant remember a Obyrne hit seriously... And the only fight I remember he broke is ****ing finger lol

Quote:
You deserve nothing more.
At least I dont have a 10 000 posts record of crap to my name

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-30-2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old
06-30-2008, 01:52 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
At least I dont have a 10 000 posts record of crap to my name
I don't either. I have an 11k+ post record of crap to my name.

Old
06-30-2008, 01:54 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Get over it, you guys are not even arguing about the subject.

Old
06-30-2008, 01:56 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Get over it, you guys are not even arguing about the subject.
I don't think he's capable.

Honestly, after Pitkanen's breakout season with Philadelphia, I would've looked heavily into acquiring him. He has had a couple poor seasons since and I'm not sure I'm willing to pay what is necessary to acquire him and then keep him under contract. I'd much rather continue to go forward with the development of O'Byrne, Tank and Emelin or find a suitable fixture on the free agent market such as Rozsival.

Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I think its kind of sad Bouillon never gets any respect, I mean the guy is really solid on defense when is the last time you saw him getting beat on a one on one? Soory but OByrne is seriously overrated. And for the people saying Obyrne is Bigger blablabla who cares? Bouillon is much tougher, I cant remember a Obyrne hit seriously... And the only fight I remember he broke is ****ing finger lol
Not sure why they are being spoken in the same semtence. Bouillon is a steady productive, established guy...O'byrne is a guy with solid upside who is just getting his feet wet in the NHL.

The Habs could do better than Bouillon at #4...and they could do worse also. That's not Franki's fault...but to me he does his job well and he is a guy I don't worry about.

O'byrne will be #6 full time next year and he has the upside to develop into #3-4, he was pretty steady for a rookie last year and had a few big hits. He actually had 2 fights(it's unfortunate he broke a finger but it happens), he brings an element of toughness. I think this year his puck moving should improve with confidence as should the hits.

If you can't remember an O'byrne hit you need to stop drinking so much during games.

Old
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku_All_The_Way View Post

BOUILLON OVER OBYRNE!
Is that a sick joke?

Old
06-30-2008, 01:59 PM
King Kovalev

I know but it gets frustrating seeing someone post things like Jump of a bridge, When you can properly construct a sentence etc.. I mean why are you on a hockey forum if you dont want to hear others opinions? I mean we can debate on the subject but every post I see there almost personal attacks.

Old
06-30-2008, 02:01 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
I know but it gets frustrating seeing someone post things like Jump of a bridge, When you can properly construct a sentence etc.. I mean why are you on a hockey forum if you dont want to hear others opinions? I mean we can debate on the subject but every post I see there almost personal attacks.
If you would carefully pay attention to the course this thread has taken you would see that I had not said anything controversial before being personally attacked. I merely made a statement that O'Byrne should be in the line-up over Bouillon. That garnered personal attacks from these nameless few and that's what prompted the spiteful retorts from me.

Closed Thread