HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Prospect Poll #10

View Poll Results: #10
Miika Wiikman (G) 9 9.47%
Hugh Jessiman (F) 9 9.47%
Carl Hagelin (F) 21 22.11%
Corey Potter (D) 21 22.11%
Ryan Hiller (F) 25 26.32%
Tomas Zaborsky (F) 10 10.53%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-30-2008, 12:51 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Excellent? Really?
I would say so. He was terrific in the first half of the season and impressed coaches and scouts alike with his work ethic and commitment to responsible play at both ends of the ice. Every quote relating to Hagelin I read said that his offensive potential was apparent every time he stepped onto the ice. This, from a freshman playing against the best competition in college hockey, is impressive! IMO, of course... To each his own.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Theon
We are Groot

Hagelin.

Theon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 01:34 PM
rangers5

voted Hagelin...

Would have rather voted for Moore. Thats my vote for add.

rangers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 01:49 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Hagelin surges into the lead! This morning Potter had a 6 or 7 vote lead in early voting and looked like he would take it.

EDIT: Fine, if we can't add Premsyl Duben, add Greg Moore.

Old
06-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Hagelin surges into the lead! This morning Potter had a 6 or 7 vote lead in early voting and looked like he would take it.

EDIT: Fine, if we can't add Premsyl Duben, add Greg Moore.
Over-rated

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:10 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Hillier, add Moose.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:17 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Over-rated
Heheh, yeah, who am I kidding, he's obviously ECHL fodder!

That's why I love these polls, especially after the top 6 or 7 guys... So many opinions, differing to such a vast degree. It's cool, and it often times helps bring people back down to earth in their assessments of guys they have hardly seen yet expect the world of.

Old
06-30-2008, 02:18 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

potter add dupont

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Edge

I think if Hagelin takes the 10 spot we've seriously overrated him.

He's got some good skills, but there are guys on that list that I think are better prospects by a pretty wide margin.

Though I have a feeling Hagelin is going to be our new "HF Boards Only" prospect. His value will be higher here than anywhere else. And a few years from now we'll have people swearing he deserves a look and how stupid the Rangers are for not giving him a chance, etc.

There's always at least one, usually no more than two. It's like the damn Sith.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Heheh, yeah, who am I kidding, he's obviously ECHL fodder!

That's why I love these polls, especially after the top 6 or 7 guys... So many opinions, differing to such a vast degree. It's cool, and it often times helps bring people back down to earth in their assessments of guys they have hardly seen yet expect the world of.
Thats the thing, i've seen enough around here to know we overrate most of our prospects, itd be nice to let them develop a bit until we start labelling them anything from ECHL to NHL all star.

These polls can be fun, but you can't take anything serious.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Edge

It'd be a little easier to take seriously but 80% of the people couldn't really even tell you anything about the prospect outside of what they've read or the stats they've looked up. That's not a bad thing until you start having to argue with them about it.

That's where it can get a big frustrating.

Old
06-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
It'd be a little easier to take seriously but 80% of the people couldn't really even tell you anything about the prospect outside of what they've read or the stats they've looked up.
Its not very humble by me to say this -- but I think this poll have turned into sheit... Worst poll we ever had.

Stephan so high. Hagelin even among the options...

Jessiman not on the list yet. I think its reasonable to expect Hagelin to become a border line AHL player. Jessiman is a borderline NHL player now.

Who is Zabrosky and what have he done? I've seen him in the WJC, he just isn't good enough overall to even become good in the AHL. He's a very bad pick from a overrated Slovak year group -- I am sure he stood out among his peer before he went to the CHL but I would bet my right arm on that he never would have been drafted if he had played in the CHL. The Slovaks isn't the Czech.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:54 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Its not very humble by me to say this -- but I think this poll have turned into sheit... Worst poll we ever had.

Stephan so high. Hagelin even among the options...

Jessiman not on the list yet. I think its reasonable to expect Hagelin to become a border line AHL player. Jessiman is a borderline NHL player now.

Who is Zabrosky and what have he done? I've seen him in the WJC, he just isn't good enough overall to even become good in the AHL. He's a very bad pick from a overrated Slovak year group -- I am sure he stood out among his peer before he went to the CHL but I would bet my right arm on that he never would have been drafted if he had played in the CHL. The Slovaks isn't the Czech.
Ola, you basically admitted you've seen little of Zaborsky outside of what he did in the WJC. With such little exposure to him how can you say he won't even become a good AHLer?

Old
06-30-2008, 03:11 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I think if Hagelin takes the 10 spot we've seriously overrated him.

He's got some good skills, but there are guys on that list that I think are better prospects by a pretty wide margin.

Though I have a feeling Hagelin is going to be our new "HF Boards Only" prospect. His value will be higher here than anywhere else. And a few years from now we'll have people swearing he deserves a look and how stupid the Rangers are for not giving him a chance, etc.

There's always at least one, usually no more than two. It's like the damn Sith.
To be fair - and yes, I'm a fan who goes off what I read (here and elsewhere) and the scant clips I can dig up online - my vote goes almost exclusively on potential and not on how close a prospect is or even "risk-adjusted" potential. I think many others put a much higher priority on making the show vs. what the player might be if he does make the show. In HF parlance, I weight Hagelin's 7.0D over Potter's 6.5C. (Not that I necessarily buy into the exact rating in each case, but it happens to be an apt example for this point.)

So, yes, I chose Hagelin over Potter, because based on what he achieved as a meaningful contributor as a freshman on a Frozen Four Michigan squad, I think his potential could reach as high as a top 6, perhaps even (minute chance) top 3 forward - despite the fact that it still might be only 50/50 that he even makes the NHL at all.

Potter, on the other hand, I think has almost a 90% chance of reaching the big club, but I think his potential tops out at #4 D, so I put him behind Hagelin. Close behind, mind you, but still behind.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 06-30-2008 at 03:16 PM.
BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 03:29 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Zaborsky, add Moore

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Ola

Quote:
Ola, you basically admitted you've seen little of Zaborsky outside of what he did in the WJC. With such little exposure to him how can you say he won't even become a good AHLer?
He isn't skilled.

You need to watch a player allot before you can say for sure how good he is, but its not that hard to tell how well a player skates or handle the puck -- right? Like you only need to watch a player like Ilya Kovalchuk 3 shifts before you can tell that he is skilled, and you only need to watch a player like Colton Orr 3 shifts before you can tell that he isn't that skilled. That he doesn't skate that well and the he doesn't handle the puck that well.

If I would compare Zabrosky with a NHLer it would be Jonathan Cheechoo. Zabrosky is a goal scorer, he positions himself really well and he got a good shot. He defenitly got the right attitude.

But he isn't a good skater, he is pretty choppy; he doesn't handle the puck all that well, he doesn't challenge D's 1 on 1 et c. (For a future NHL player).

But that doesn't gaurantee a thing, because I would have said the same things about Marc Savard for example; he isn't all that skilled either... For him its all instincts. And his instincts have always shown in the stat sheet. Zabrosky's have not.

I am very positive when it comes to prospects, and don't mind hyping someone. There is often always a chance. But my bet is that Zabrosky was little seen by everyone on the in scence when he was drafted. Scouts had mostly seen him play against other Slovaks and only in a few int tournaments. Its extremely hard to "cross scout" hockeyplayers. Like to comapre a kid who you have seen in Slovak, where he has played against Slovak juniors, to a kid in the CHL playing against canadian juniors.

I don't mind a draft pick like Zabrosky, its a gamble, but there is a possibility since there is a possibility that he is better then what it seems like so to speak.

But IMO its clear that Zabrosky and Skokan wasn't diamonds in the rough.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 03:47 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
To be fair - and yes, I'm a fan who goes off what I read (here and elsewhere) and the scant clips I can dig up online - my vote goes almost exclusively on potential and not on how close a prospect is or even "risk-adjusted" potential. I think many others put a much higher priority on making the show vs. what the player might be if he does make the show. In HF parlance, I weight Hagelin's 7.0D over Potter's 6.5C. (Not that I necessarily buy into the exact rating in each case, but it happens to be an apt example for this point.)

So, yes, I chose Hagelin over Potter, because based on what he achieved as a meaningful contributor as a freshman on a Frozen Four Michigan squad, I think his potential could reach as high as a top 6, perhaps even (minute chance) top 3 forward - despite the fact that it still might be only 50/50 that he even makes the NHL at all.

Potter, on the other hand, I think has almost a 90% chance of reaching the big club, but I think his potential tops out at #4 D, so I put him behind Hagelin. Close behind, mind you, but still behind.
yeah you're pronouncing exactly my thoughts

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Nemchinov13

moore

add dupont

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Add Moore and Pareanteau. I voted Potter

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 05:47 PM
bmoak

Hillier. Add Baranka.

You guys are going to be sorry you didn't add baranka when my secret plan to destroy the KHL comes to fruition!

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:19 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Zaborsky.

Add DuPont/Moore

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:43 PM
NYReign

Voted Hagelin, add Gaulton

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Cherepanisimov

zaborsky, add pyatt

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 07:31 PM
NorthlandPro

Add Dupont, he is at least better than the last 2-3 guys on this list.

NorthlandPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Edge

Dupont will be next vote as well. To me there is a significat drop to guys like Hagelin and Potter.

I'm still not a huge Potter fan. He's pretty vanilla.