HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vancouver - Carolina

Old
06-27-2008, 03:11 AM
shaolinson
Bim Jenning

vCash: 500
bieksa still has the potential to become a top pairing dman, i like cole too but he is relative prone to injury. we just have an excess of d.

williams is bieksas age.. and has but up comparable numbers.

shaolinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 10:57 AM
JerkChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartnonis View Post
To Vancouver:

Cole
Ruutu

To Carolina:

Bieksa
Pyatt
From a Vancouver stand-point... simply put:

WHERE DO I SIGN??

JerkChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:28 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnychiba View Post
williams is bieksas age.. and has put up comparable numbers.
Come again?

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Shareefruck

I'm just throwing this out there to see what Vancouver can do if they DON'T trade Bieksa (I'm on the fence about it), but would Salo interest Carolina? He's easily a better offensive and defensive player than Bieksa, can go at a 50 point clip when healthy, is VERY underrated in his own end (rarely ever see him make mistakes), may be a bit soft in that he doesn't initiate, but has size and doesn't get knocked around. When healthy, he's probably our most consistent and versatile defensemen, but like Cole, he definitely has had some injury troubles. Oh, and the 100mph slapshot, which is definitely a PP weapon. He has an NTC, so this is all kinda hypothetical, but would Carolina be interested in a Salo+stuff for Cole deal? Maybe have Krajicek be part of the deal?

I'm just thinking from a Vancouver standpoint we would look alot better overall if we were to do this than a Bieksa for Williams trade.

Sedin - Sedin - Cole
Raymond -
Burrows - Kesler - Hansen
Pyatt - Rypien - Pettinger

Ohlund - Edler
Mitchell - Bieksa
Krajicek

Luongo

Also, can anyone give me an updated scouting report on Williams? He sounds like a great player, but seems more like a major upgrade on the Raymond spot rather than a Sedin linemate (which everyone seems to be throwing out, and where I know Cole fits like a glove). Is he physical at all? Again, completely just wondering.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 06-29-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2agingmonk View Post
I'm just throwing this out there to see what Vancouver can do if they DON'T trade Bieksa (I'm on the fence about it), but would Salo interest Carolina? He's easily a better offensive and defensive player than Bieksa, can go at a 50 point clip when healthy, is VERY underrated in his own end (rarely ever see him make mistakes), may be a bit soft in that he doesn't initiate, but has size and doesn't get knocked around. When healthy, he's probably our most consistent and versatile defensemen, but like Cole, he definitely has had some injury troubles. Oh, and the 100mph slapshot, which is definitely a PP weapon. He has an NTC, so this is all kinda hypothetical, but would Carolina be interested in a Salo+stuff for Cole deal? Maybe have Krajicek be part of the deal?

I'm just thinking from a Vancouver standpoint we would look alot better overall if we were to do this than a Bieksa for Williams trade.

Sedin - Sedin - Cole
Raymond -
Burrows - Kesler - Hansen
Pyatt - Rypien - Pettinger

Ohlund - Edler
Mitchell - Bieksa
Krajicek

Luongo

Also, can anyone give me an updated scouting report on Williams? He sounds like a great player, but seems more like a major upgrade on the Raymond spot rather than a Sedin linemate (which everyone seems to be throwing out, and where I know Cole fits like a glove). Is he physical at all? Again, completely just wondering.
If Cole is going to be moved it's not going to be for an aging, injury prone blueliner like Salo. Even if you throw stuff in it makes no sense from our end. Cole is a valuable asset who will be moved for a good defenseman. Not a decent defenseman and picks/prospects.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 05:55 PM
John Belushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
If Cole is going to be moved it's not going to be for an aging, injury prone blueliner like Salo. Even if you throw stuff in it makes no sense from our end. Cole is a valuable asset who will be moved for a good defenseman. Not a decent defenseman and picks/prospects.
I can't believe how underrated Salo is around the NHL. He is a top-pairing defenseman when healthy, can QB the powerplay, play on the penalty kill, and is almost mistake-free is his own end.

In my opinion much like a Kimmo Timonen with a little less puck-moving ability but with a much harder shot. As a Canuck fan, I would not trade Salo straight up for Cole but I think they are very comparable in value.

John Belushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Belushi View Post
I can't believe how underrated Salo is around the NHL. He is a top-pairing defenseman when healthy, can QB the powerplay, play on the penalty kill, and is almost mistake-free is his own end.

In my opinion much like a Kimmo Timonen with a little less puck-moving ability but with a much harder shot. As a Canuck fan, I would not trade Salo straight up for Cole but I think they are very comparable in value.
Salo is older than Cole, that right there is why he isn't of interest to us. The canes are looking for a younger defenseman than that and if they're moving valuable assets it won't be for a 33 year old with durability issues.

Old
06-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Salo is older than Cole, that right there is why he isn't of interest to us. The canes are looking for a younger defenseman than that and if they're moving valuable assets it won't be for a 33 year old with durability issues.
I understand that the Canes are looking to get younger on their backend, but Cole is unlikely to garner that type of player. Expecting a young, top 4 defenseman in return for Cole is likely just going to set yourself up for disappointment should Cole be dealt. Realistically the Canes are probably best off scouring the UFA market to find some players to plug into their defense.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:03 PM
SlowShot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Belushi View Post

Thats the key when healthy. Salo is always injured. If healthy he would be known as a top 15 Defender.

SlowShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:09 AM
evgeni71

Ummm, Salo has a NTC and it's unlikely he'll be willing to waive it.

evgeni71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:34 AM
John Belushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowShot View Post
Thats the key when healthy. Salo is always injured. If healthy he would be known as a top 15 Defender.
Yes, but he is being compared to Cole he isn't a picture of health by any means. My point was that Salo is comparable to the power forward.

John Belushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 03:45 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
I understanding your reasoning about not wanting Salo in terms of age of injury problems, but that last line sounded a bit off for me.

IMO, injuries should be the only reason any team wouldn't want Salo. At this point in time, he is a far better defensemen than Bieksa (probably Vancouver's best defensemen), and I doubt that Bieksa has the high-end potential talent wise to improve into a much better defensemen than a healthy Sami Salo. Calling him just a decent defensemen whereas Bieksa is a good one is a bit much, I think. But yes, injuries are a major problem, and I wouldn't blame you for not having interest. The only reason I brought him up was that Erik Cole isn't exactly an iron-man either.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:11 AM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2agingmonk View Post
Calling him just a decent defensemen whereas Bieksa is a good one is a bit much, I think.
Perhaps it is, but I don't consider a defenseman who's injured as much as Salo "good" because he can't play for you half the time. That's no use to Carolina, the last thing they need is another injury prone player.

Old
06-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Dunno when Cole's going to shake his "injury-prone" cover. He's missed 1 major stretch over the last 4 seasons, and that was the neck injury. Other than 05-06, he's played 80, 72, and 76. Which are just normal "wear-and-tear" injuries for a powerforward.

Salo's out of the question. Completely. There could be a deal made around Bieksa and Cole, but I have a feeling both GMs are trying to overrate their tradebait and nothing will come from it.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 04:06 PM
marklabonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartnonis View Post
To Vancouver:

Cole
Ruutu

To Carolina:

Bieksa
Pyatt
If Carolina puts that on the board, the Canucks should take it.

marklabonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Caniac12

Williams, Kaberle, and Borer for Krajicek and Bieksa.

Caniac12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicknastycullen8 View Post
Williams, Kaberle, and Borer for Krajicek and Bieksa.
There's absolutely no reason for Vancouver to do that. They don't want Kaberle and Krajicek is better than Borer.