HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers are screwed, you can't roll over cash anymore with bonuses

Old
06-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Rangers are screwed, you can't roll over cash anymore with bonuses

Its all over tsn, the local blogs, pretty much everywhere you want to look (if you need a link)

Anyway, apparently that loophole is closed because there is no CBA next year (apparently?) so you can't roll over salary anymore with bonuses.

What that means to us? we actually have to play by the same rules as everyone else, and a cap effed team, just got slightly more screwed.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=242079

Last edited by FLYLine24: 06-30-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 05:58 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Its all over tsn, the local blogs, pretty much everywhere you want to look (if you need a link)

Anyway, apparently that loophole is closed because there is no CBA next year (apparently?) so you can't roll over salary anymore with bonuses.

What that means to us? we actually have to play by the same rules as everyone else, and a cap effed team, just got slightly more screwed.
whippy doo!!........link please

and the rest of the league can't either so whatev

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:00 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Makes no sense for the bonus to count against the cap since you aren't even sure the player will reach them. No sense at all. If they are going to do that, then the following year a team should get extra cap space if the player never reached the bonus and the team was screwed over the previous year with wasted cap space that didnt go to anyone.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:04 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

OR, maybe this is a good thing.

Maybe this will mean we can't sign over the hill players to bonus laden contracts.

Maybe we will be forced to do things the right way, which is build a team from within and then fill holes via free agency. Not the other way around.

No Sundin, please.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post

Maybe this will mean we can't sign over the hill players to bonus laden contracts.

Maybe we will be forced to do things the right way, which is build a team from within and then fill holes via free agency. Not the other way around.

No Sundin, please.
haha.........they have a abundance of good young players that WILL play , I have no worries

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:10 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
haha.........they have a abundance of good young players that WILL play , I have no worries
I agree. They do, they have a lot of great young players.

However, with all the reports of Sundin, Jagr, Gordie Howe out of retirement... i mean it is same old pre-lockout mentality.

Dubinsky centered the top line this year, Jagr or not, he still did it. Throwing him on the third line so we can sign 37 year old Sundin is lunacy. Especially after we committed 14+ mil in Gomez and Drury... why the hell sign Sundin? To Satisfy Jagr? Time to move on from Jagr if he can't play with who we have.

Old
06-30-2008, 06:14 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
why the hell sign Sundin? To Satisfy Jagr?
I think so the team will score more goals and have more wins is the main reason.

if you can sign Sundin, which I'm not convinced they can, then you do it.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:16 PM
9302njd

Not sure what to make of the article. Given their resources, of course the Rangers have a higher likelihood of spending over the salary cap with performance bonuses, but he didn't mention (or know) if this is something they have used alot the past couple of years. They only have less room (or growth) if maxing out is a common practice for them.

9302njd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:19 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I think so the team will score more goals and have more wins is the main reason.

if you can sign Sundin, which I'm not convinced they can, then you do it.
No, you don't, not when it is detrimental to the future of your organization.

The days of building around Jagr are over.

It is time to build around the Gomez & Drury 14+ mil duo.

Old
06-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:

how is it detrimental to the future of the organization?

and what does it have to do with Jagr?

Old
06-30-2008, 06:23 PM
frankthefrowner

Quote:

Thats the point of Sundin and Jags, there not the future...there here for now to try to win now. Realistically there arent a ton of guys in Hartford ready, I think we will add Korpedo and maybe Byers but thats about it from them... Next year and the year after is different.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Blueblood 2

Quote:

No Sundin, please.

Bingo. This is a blessing in disguise.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

No Sundin, please.
Exactly.

This is even more reason to move away from the Jagr regime.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:31 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
So no Jagr or Sundin ('cause Jagr HAS to be the highest paid player to make any impact whatsoever), and possibly even no Rolston...

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:33 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Yes, as people have stated, this is a good thing.

This doesn't allow Sather to spend his money freely as he often does with veteran players who will do nothing for this team but bring us back to the cotton fields of 97-04'.

Sundin isn't the answer, and while Jagr is hard to replace, he isn't either.

Bring up the young guys, show me some talent, let me see some dangle, give me an exciting season....because I know to hell that I won't see a Stanley Cup anyway, don't **** the cap.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:34 PM
HenriksBetter

I think that it's a good thing that will hopefully help Jagr out of NY and keep Sundin out of NY.

HenriksBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:35 PM
mike14

I'm having a really hard time figuring out this news means the Rangers are 'screwed'. Am I correct in saying that Shanny is the only player they have rolled over bonuses for anyway?

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:37 PM
Turambar

who are all these "young guys" everyone wants to see brought up?

why bring up guys who obviously aren't ready to play at the NHL level and perhaps sacrifice their development? that's something a team like the Leafs or the Islanders would do, not the post-lockout Rangers. Why not let the kids continue to develop as they should rather than rush them along just so we don't have to sign free agents?

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:41 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post

why bring up guys who obviously aren't ready to play at the NHL level and perhaps sacrifice their development? that's something a team like the Leafs or the Islanders would do, not the post-lockout Rangers. Why not let the kids continue to develop as they should rather than rush them along just so we don't have to sign free agents?
We want to see the kids brought up who can make the jump, nobody in specific... anything can happen in training camp.

The point is 'out with the old, in with the new', is the way to go.. if we're going to sign free agents make them in their 20's and make them entering prime years, don't overspend on has-been's.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:42 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
I'm having a really hard time figuring out this news means the Rangers are 'screwed'. Am I correct in saying that Shanny is the only player they have rolled over bonuses for anyway?
it means they can't roll over bonuses for Jagr/Sundin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post

bingo. Sundin or Jagr means the team goes deeper into the playoffs and the young players get playoff experience and get to learn from some of the greatest players in their generation. replacing Jagr with Korpikoski means you have a team filled with kids spinning their wheels. don't believe me, compare the Red Wings personnel moves with the Blue Jackets.

Old
06-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
It means that they're seriously limited in their quest to land Sundin and Jagr. Although it hasn't been confirmed, one has to assume that salary bonuses would've been a big part of getting them here and still fitting under the cap.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:44 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

No, actually, it means that there's no way Backman sees NY in the regular season, and it's possible that Prucha's gets moved. The Rangers could still add both Sundin and Jagr at $7 million each, retain Roszival and bring back Avery with the additional $4 million that dropping both Backman and Prucha's salary would provide. The Rangers would also go with only 22 players on the roster, as they did much of last year. We also might see the development of the likes of Anisimov and Sanguinetti accelerated. I somehow doubt that Cameron Hope, acknowledged as one of the best cap-meisters in the league, was somehow caught off guard by this.

Again, for all of the Backman haters out there, be of good cheer; there is NO way he plays in NY this year, especially in light of this news.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:47 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
It means that they're seriously limited in their quest to land Sundin and Jagr. Although it hasn't been confirmed, one has to assume that salary bonuses would've been a big part of getting them here and still fitting under the cap.
I understand that, I'm just not sure how that makes them screwed.......

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
i can still see them fitting it under the cap. Dawes-1 mil per, Sjostrom-.650 mil per, Rozsival-3.5 mil per, Sundin-7 mil per, Jagr-7 mil per.

Jagr, and Sundin only get 1 year deals then they retire into the sunset. it wont happen though.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
No, actually, it means that there's no way Backman sees NY in the regular season, and it's possible that Prucha's gets moved. The Rangers could still add both Sundin and Jagr at $7 million each, retain Roszival and bring back Avery with the additional $4 million that dropping both Backman and Prucha's salary would provide. The Rangers would also go with only 22 players on the roster, as they did much of last year. We also might see the development of the likes of Anisimov and Sanguinetti accelerated. I somehow doubt that Cameron Hope, acknowledged as one of the best cap-meisters in the league, was somehow caught off guard by this.

Again, for all of the Backman haters out there, be of good cheer; there is NO way he plays in NY this year, especially in light of this news.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote