HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Canada Day

Old
06-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Garo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra View Post
Wow. how ironic! 3 provincial legislative powers
Yeah, but still mostly paid by the Federal Government though.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:05 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Which one do you want?
All three. I'll go for the hat trick this year.

HAPPY CANADA DAY! Oh and Happy Dominion Day to McPhee!

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:07 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Shhh Equalization payments are all a myth

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I posted it in another thread but basically I have been seeing this girl and I really like her alot...She stayed over on Saturday and in the morning, my psycho ex decided to show up at my house and flipped out when she saw my date...Basically she yelled until my date left and basically ****ed things up with the new girl.
Wow.

Dude that kind of ***** is like the clap. It never goes away.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:14 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Canada claims that Québec is part of it's country. We were conquered and we didn't have the guts to get independance. What do you want me to say. All my roots are in Montréal. This is my country. But anyways, I shouldn't talk politics on that day, but the response of some posters got me pumped up. Happy Canada day.
You were "conquered".... wasn't exactly this lifetime was it.... and if your ancestors thought it was so bad they had the opportunity to go to Louisiana; or back to France.

I guess those americans respected your culture so much better in Cajun country... you can go there and not have your language recognized as "official"; your schooling in french protected; your province declared a "nation" etc....

If you don't like it here... go there... noone is stopping you from leaving.

Quote:
Wow. how ironic! 3 provincial legislative powers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
Now where's that :high five: smiley...
Yes the provinces have administrative control... but you do realize that a large percentage of the money comes from the federal government via equalization and transfer payments..... SO the Fed govt is still paying for it.... and yes it is via taxes... but if you don't like who you are paying taxes to, then like I said before; noone is stopping your from leaving.

Quote:
Exactly....

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:14 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

I'm not celebrating Canada Day any more than I celebrated SJB Day.

Really not that much of a partyier.

Don't even celebrate my own birthday. I'll wish happy mothers|fathers day and happy birthday to my immediate family and my girlfriend though.

Old
06-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
You were "conquered".... wasn't exactly this lifetime was it.... and if your ancestors thought it was so bad they had the opportunity to go to Louisiana; or back to France.

If you don't like it here... go there... noone is stopping you from leaving.

Yes the provinces have administrative control... but you do realize that a large percentage of the money comes from the federal government via equalization and transfer payments..... SO the Fed govt is still paying for it.... and yes it is via taxes... but if you don't like who you are paying taxes to, then like I said before; noone is stopping your from leaving.

Exactly....
As a moderator you shouldn't get involved in this kind of crap, Beak.

Old
06-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Bingo!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
I posted it in another thread but basically I have been seeing this girl and I really like her alot...She stayed over on Saturday and in the morning, my psycho ex decided to show up at my house and flipped out when she saw my date...Basically she yelled until my date left and basically ****ed things up with the new girl.
I had a girl like that. Theyre afraid to be alone. So they clutch to you because they expect you to be the rest of their life. Basically, the sex is good, but eventually one party will pull away slowly and detach, and the other will realize there are many many many fish in the sea. But yeah, detaching suddenly could result in severe arguements, girl on girl confrontations, tense moments, and strange phone calls. Other possible side effects could be get together sex (not a wise move)(but ) and seldom get togethers (which are okay if done correctly). If she comes to your place with a knife, consider calling 9-1-1.

You could always attempt to bang both and see how that plays out, but if I think back to my girl, that could cost you your life

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:27 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealistic View Post
I had a girl like that. Theyre afraid to be alone. So they clutch to you because they expect you to be the rest of their life. Basically, the sex is good, but eventually one party will pull away slowly and detach, and the other will realize there are many many many fish in the sea. But yeah, detaching suddenly could result in severe arguements, girl on girl...
I stopped reading right there...

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:27 PM
prevail

God forbid if some of you were born in Africa...

prevail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
It's not because it is not called Canada that I don't love my country. We pay roads, schools and health care with our own taxes, you know. And about the GTFO... what, you plan on doing it Israeli style ? It is our country, it's been that way ever before Canada existed.

I don't love Canada but I still don't wish that every canadian gets hit by a bus.
FF I can sympathize. I lived in Montreal for years and I don't wish every Quebecois(e) gets hit by a bus. Of course, I *moved away* since I didn't care for it, but I'm happy to live in a place where you can hold your opinion, I can hold mine, and we can still exist without trying to hurt each other.

IMO La Belle Province is clearly its own country, I'm a franco-manitobain and I don't understand why anglos don't see that. But as long as it is part of Canada, I'm happy to live in a place where we can disagree and no one comes to lock us up. That's worth celebrating any time !

P.S. If anybody wants to burn a flag, go ahead, a burning flag is allowed in Canada and we aren't so scared to think that the world will end from one flag on fire. Freedom of expression is real liberty.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
P.S. If anybody wants to burn a flag, go ahead, a burning flag is allowed in Canada and we aren't so scared to think that the world will end from one flag on fire. Freedom of expression is real liberty.
Well said. This isnt the USA here where you can be arrested for wearing a t-shirt laughing at Bush...

Old
06-30-2008, 06:39 PM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Well said. This isnt the USA here where you can be arrested for wearing a t-shirt laughing at Bush...
Where/when did that happen? I've heard of kids being told they can't wear shirts with political statements on them at school, and there have been challenges to the constitutionality of that, but I've never heard of someone being arrested for wearing a shirt making fun of Bush... that would be unconstitutional AFAIK.

Of course, I'm not exactly unbiased... I think far more people should wear clothing making fun of him...

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Quote:
Yes the provinces have administrative control... but you do realize that a large percentage of the money comes from the federal government via equalization and transfer payments..... SO the Fed govt is still paying for it.... and yes it is via taxes...
So basically the federal chose the wrong powers (well those that were important at the time and aren't as much now) and use this tactic as a way to promote their views in fields that aren't theirs.... Thx for this little federalism lesson, now I understand!

Quote:
FF I can sympathize. I lived in Montreal for years and I don't wish every Quebecois(e) gets hit by a bus. Of course, I *moved away* since I didn't care for it, but I'm happy to live in a place where you can hold your opinion, I can hold mine, and we can still exist without trying to hurt each other.

IMO La Belle Province is clearly its own country, I'm a franco-manitobain and I don't understand why anglos don't see that. But as long as it is part of Canada, I'm happy to live in a place where we can disagree and no one comes to lock us up. That's worth celebrating any time !

What I don't understand is those that cry and moan that Québec "steal their money" (like a bunch of other provinces that receive Equalization payments btw) are the same that don't want Québec to be free. It's like having a tapeworn and refuse to get rid of it because you're afraid your intestine won't work the same way... Doesn't make sense.

Quote:
but if you don't like who you are paying taxes to, then like I said before; don't pay your taxes.
alright, but if I get arrested, I'll them a mod on Hfboards told me to do it.

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
Where/when did that happen? I've heard of kids being told they can't wear shirts with political statements on them at school, and there have been challenges to the constitutionality of that, but I've never heard of someone being arrested for wearing a shirt making fun of Bush... that would be unconstitutional AFAIK.

Of course, I'm not exactly unbiased... I think far more people should wear clothing making fun of him...
Ok, i looked like just for 2 minutes... and if i go on i'll have many many more links.

Maybe i should stop now, right?

http://www.lies.com/wp/2003/03/05/ma...i-war-t-shirt/
http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/news.aspx?id=14041
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/01/31/sheehan.arrest/
http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/wireStory?id=3489979
http://www.newstatesman.com/200601090004
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in644005.shtml
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_T-shirt
http://www.sweetjesusihatebilloreill...ve/082206.html
http://www.counterpunch.org/ferner07012006.html

Old
06-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post

I couldn't find the Bush one, I thnk the kid was just sent home. But here are some other t-shirt 'problems' in the USA that makes me happy I live in a free country:

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/US/North...sa.shirt.reut/

http://www.selvesandothers.org/article14755.html

http://news.aol.com/newsbloggers/200...g-wrong-shirt/

http://www.thesentinel.com/284741619451300.php

I'm sure Google could reveal more.

Old
06-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
What I don't understand is those that cry and moan that Québec "steal their money" (like a bunch of other provinces that receive Equalization payments btw) are the same that don't want Québec to be free. It's like having a tapeworn and refuse to get rid of it because you're afraid your intestine won't work the same way... Doesn't make sense.
Ra, honestly my friend over the last 20 years, I have heard many, many more people in Québec accuse the rest of the country of "stealing" Québec's money than anglos outside of Québec making that accusation. It is still very popular in Québec to blame others, whether the anglos or the immigrants. To be fair, Alberta does the same, many places do too.

Doesn't matter to me, I love Québec no matter what, I just prefer to live in Manitoba.

Old
06-30-2008, 06:54 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Ice I think if you scratch any surface you'll find enough a holes to go around, they aren't located solely south of us. I can produce the kid who an NDG cop called an English ***** a little while ago for asking a question. I don't think this guy is representative of cops nor Quebecers.

I think I've gotten beyond the arguements now. I'm proud as hell of my country though I'm glad I'm free to criticize it. I still feel allegiance to my home province and I feel the same way about Mtl. I disagree or maybe am disapointed that many don't feel the same way, but I can't wish FF De Mars any harm because he feels diffferently.

The whole issue gets silly on a board like this. We all have the right to feel differently about this country and I have no problem with anyone's opinion or sense of patriotism being opposed to mine. I just think that whether one wants to remain part of Canada or not, it deserves respect.

Sorry I quoted your post to go on my rant, you didn't say anything really, it just seemed like a starting point.

Back to church to light more Sundin candles.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Ice I think if you scratch any surface you'll find enough a holes to go around, they aren't located solely south of us. I can produce the kid who an NDG cop called an English ***** a little while ago for asking a question. I don't think this guy is representative of cops nor Quebecers.

I think I've gotten beyond the arguements now. I'm proud as hell of my country though I'm glad I'm free to criticize it. I still feel allegiance to my home province and I feel the same way about Mtl. I disagree or maybe am disapointed that many don't feel the same way, but I can't wish FF De Mars any harm because he feels diffferently.

The whole issue gets silly on a board like this. We all have the right to feel differently about this country and I have no problem with anyone's opinion or sense of patriotism being opposed to mine. I just think that whether one wants to remain part of Canada or not, it deserves respect.

Sorry I quoted your post to go on my rant, you didn't say anything really, it just seemed like a starting point.

Back to church to light more Sundin candles.
You are my hero, sir. When I'll be old, I want to be like you before I forget what my name is.

Can I hang around you and help you cope with old age? Do your laundry, maybe?

Seriously, you nailed it right on the head.

Old
06-30-2008, 07:07 PM
LilWinger11

George Bush

Just to clarify, when I heard "t-shirts making fun of George Bush" I was thinking of shirts with cartoons or jokes on them, rather than anti-Bush political statements. I know there have been arrests over shirts like those; I don't agree with it, and in some cases I definitely think you could argue that someone's constitutional rights were violated, but I know it happens.

Anyway, I didn't mean to drag the U.S. into this thread. Carry on discussing Canada

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 07:09 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
Anyone who doesn't love Canada can go get hit by a bus for all I care.
Kinda extreme there!

Make it a minivan instead

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 07:10 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
I re-read the mod rules.... there is still nothing in there saying I can't have an opinion.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Ra, honestly my friend over the last 20 years, I have heard many, many more people in Québec accuse the rest of the country of "stealing" Québec's money than anglos outside of Québec making that accusation. It is still very popular in Québec to blame others, whether the anglos or the immigrants. To be fair, Alberta does the same, many places do too.

Doesn't matter to me, I love Québec no matter what, I just prefer to live in Manitoba.
How about Manitoba? I always thought we were doing it (blaming others) more in Quebec. And how do you compare "blaming the government" for everything?

From this I guess there will always be "people blaming others"

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 07:26 PM
prevail

I'd like to take the time to thank Canada for my 3 fav inventions...
  • Retractable beer carton handle (yes, that whole on the side of the case...)
  • Five Pin Bowling
  • The Safety Dance

prevail is offline   Reply With Quote