HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers are screwed, you can't roll over cash anymore with bonuses

Old
06-30-2008, 06:49 PM
blue2noise

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Its all over tsn, the local blogs, pretty much everywhere you want to look (if you need a link)

Anyway, apparently that loophole is closed because there is no CBA next year (apparently?) so you can't roll over salary anymore with bonuses.

What that means to us? we actually have to play by the same rules as everyone else, and a cap effed team, just got slightly more screwed.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=242079
Every day the sky is falling with you. It's getting quite boring.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:49 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Why are the Rangers screwed? I fail to see how this completely screws the Rangers. So what if you can't give out performance bonuses. In fact, I think this helps the Rangers. Hopefully it will keep them away from all the older players and make them look at younger, maybe lesser known, free agents who will be here for the long run.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:58 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
OR, maybe this is a good thing.

Maybe this will mean we can't sign over the hill players to bonus laden contracts.

Maybe we will be forced to do things the right way, which is build a team from within and then fill holes via free agency. Not the other way around.

No Sundin, please.
Yeah baby

Including Jagr

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 07:19 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

I am also curious as to what is meant by "performance bonus"...if this is strictly interpreted to refer to winning awards, or games played by the player...does a team reaching the playoffs constitute a "performance" bonus?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

What young talent is ready to step in?

This explains a lot about what's really been goin on with jagr...I feel like an even bigger fool than I really am..I almost never believe brooks but I fell for his garbage the past few weeks...this proves he has no sources!

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 07:33 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Why sign Sundin? Because he's still really good. Of course the reasons not to sign Sundin are more numerous but that doesn't discredit the man's skill.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 08:32 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
This explains a lot about what's really been goin on with jagr...I feel like an even bigger fool than I really am..I almost never believe brooks but I fell for his garbage the past few weeks...this proves he has no sources!
Clearly the Jags impasse is now about years and guaranteed money. I never once felt that Brooks had any real clue about what's going on. Say what you will about TSN and Bob McEnzie, but at least he read the CBA!

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 08:59 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Meh... I'm sure this isn't news to Sather. I don't know, maybe I have more confidence in this front office than I should, but I'm not overly concerned. Everyone is always ******** bricks this time of year, I've learned to chill out and let things play out how they will.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Forechecker

Zip says hold on.

Quote:
We're told Jagr's people and the Rangers are still talking; one executive (and also a fellow journalist) told me that contrary to TSN's assessment, performance bonuses are allowed. That lack of a CBA provision is not pertinent.

Old
06-30-2008, 09:18 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
From Blueshirt Bulletin:

"What this means is that the Rangers can offer the bonuses as planned, but will not be able to exceed this year's cap (bonuses included whether they are hit or not) until the PA takes formal action on their right to terminate, which can happen at any time up until 120 days prior to September 15, 2009 (mid-May). But once that happens (and the PA is likely to extend the CBA, which has turned out to be player-friendly, not terminate it), the bonuses will again become deferrable, and the Rangers may then exceed the cap by up to 7.5% of the $56.7 Upper Limit, which is $4.25 million. It's a matter of timing."

http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...shirtbulletin/

Let's all stop jumping off the cliffs, guys.

Old
06-30-2008, 09:19 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Some of you are in for quite the suprise that think we don't need to sign any players cept a depth guy here and there (ryder ) this offseason and just call up kids all year round...a very big suprise.

A team filled mostly with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year players is going to be a terrible team. No way more then 2 rookies should be on the team next season, and no rookie should, nor will make the team out of camp.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 09:30 PM
FutureGM97

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Some of you are in for quite the suprise that think we don't need to sign any players cept a depth guy here and there (ryder ) this offseason and just call up kids all year round...a very big suprise.

A team filled mostly with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year players is going to be a terrible team. No way more then 2 rookies should be on the team next season, and no rookie should, nor will make the team out of camp.
The Rangers don't need depth players but they don't need Jagr either. Guys like Rolston and Ryder would have a chance to play with Gomez. These guys play fast North South games and being with Gomez will absolutely help the Rangers offense. Another guy the Rangers could look at is Radim Vrbata. He played very well in PHX last year and being with Gomez or Drury would make him so much better. Those 3 i mentioned aren't superstars but they aren't depth players either.

As for rookies, some will make it. If the Rangers don't do anything with the defense then Corey Potter may get a chance to play or even Sanguinetti. Korpikoski will be given a good shot too. Ranger fans should pick if they want the young guys to play or not cuz every year it flip flops multiple times. Are these guys ever going to get to play? Give them a shot.

Old
06-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Fletch

Future...

it may be risky to leave a roster spot open for Potter or Sangs (Sangs especially). This kid needs to develop offensive skill at the professional level. I don't recall his play being stellar in his sting thus far, and he wasn't putting up the points. I don't think the Rangers' brass is even considering him. Potter's an interesting case. I happen to like how he's improved at the AHL level (starting in the ECHL last season) and think he was HFD's best defenseman last season. But, I'm not sure he has NHL talent. I'd love to see it - I like the kid - but he has a frame that needs to fill out (he's a bit too lanky, which works in the AHL and allows him to protect the puck and takeaway the puck and win battles, but he's not going to be able to do that in the NHL). That, and Backman's the 5th defenseman, so there's always an opportunity to replace him during the season if an AHL defenseman is ready to make the jump (sorry, I'm just not a Backman fan).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 09:41 PM
FutureGM97

im not a Backman fan either which is also a reason the Rangers should give Hutchinson a shot at doing something in the NHL. He was the best defenseman in the AHL last year and he is a hell of alot cheaper than Backman is. Give him a shot and then dump Backman and his salary somewhere else.

Old
06-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Forechecker

Quote:

Ah, but Fly, wouldn't it be fun to really see what our prospects are made of?

Old
06-30-2008, 09:51 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
When they are ready yes. And when our current group of rookies from last year take the next step.

Can't rush our whole farm team to the NHL. Have to spread them in over time.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 09:53 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Ah, I'd love that. I'm tempted to have a throw-away season where we let the kids show us what they have, and save up for a run next summer.

Old
06-30-2008, 10:41 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Inferno, you have a future as a headline writer for the NY Post.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:43 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
When they are ready yes. And when our current group of rookies from last year take the next step.

exactly.

i'm confident that whatever sather does, it won't screw the pooch of bringing our boys into the fold in the near future.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:55 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWayBShirt View Post
exactly.

i'm confident that whatever sather does, it won't screw the pooch of bringing our boys into the fold in the near future.
They will be fine

let the signing begin!

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:05 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:

I don't get the "lets play the kids attitude" that we see so often. Some guys actually do improve in the offseason but the insistance to rush kids into situations they aren't ready for is mindboggling to me. You can do more harm than good in most of these situations...

Why rush these guys and waste the development that has already taken place? Teams NEED balance....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:

well said FLY.

not only would a team of 22 year olds be terrible, but it's not great for their development either.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:48 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Actually I think that teams can exceed the salary cap by 10% during the summer as long as they are in line by opening day. The Rangers (with Kaspar) were certainly in this condition last year. Given the certainty of the collective agreement being extended, I don't think there is an issue here. What I do not know is if bonuses can be worked into contracts more than one year.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:49 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Actually I think that teams can exceed the salary cap by 10% during the summer as long as they are in line by opening day. The Rangers (with Kaspar) were certainly in this condition last year. Given the certainty of the collective agreement being extended, I don't think there is an issue here. What I do not know is if bonuses can be worked into contracts more than one year.
yes you can exceed the cap by 10% in the off-season

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:09 AM
NY Ranger86

Quote:
To Satisfy Jagr? Time to move on from Jagr
first off, watch your mouth.

and if we're building our team around Gomez and Drury, were in SERIOUS trouble. (no offense gomez or drury)

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote