HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Olesz signs mult-year deal

Old
06-30-2008, 03:08 PM
FlaPanthers7

vCash: 500
It has high risk but Rusty is still really young & has way more talent scoring-wise than Dvo can dream of (Mr. Stone Hands). I really believe without the injuries Rusty would have a 20 goal season under his belt. He has improved each season whether the stats show it or not and as his confidence grows offensively this deal could be really sweet down the road consider what the FAs mentioned in this thread got.

Good signing, now we just need someone to mentor these pups - specifically, I would like to see someone signed who can help Rusty's growth continue. C'mon JM, please be playing a poker face about FA & our forwards!

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 03:13 PM
PanthersFanatic12

This is a great move. Remember people , u always have to overpay a little bit to get players resigned . I think this deal will end up being a steal .
Last time i saw rusty play live was the 3-2 win over montreal this season, and he was awesome that night . Didnt make noise points wise that night but he skated well, made plays and played great defense . I think hes got another level and when he reaches it we will be happy with this deal .

PanthersFanatic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 04:05 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Kinda alot... Not if he pans out.. But we all know well that works out here in Florida

Hoax.. may I ask how old are you? Im asking because it seems your so young and not full of the empty promises this team has given us the last 8 or so years. I'm just surprised to see a Panthers fan who still believes in this managment

Believe or not... 4-5 years ago I was kinda like you.. all full of hope
Yea, every year that hope slowly slips away, and it takes less and less games into the season before 'here we go again" slips into your thoughts. From my own experience, me getting older and understanding the game more seemed to chip away at that optimism.

I remember watching the Flames' fans during their 7 year stretch and it was very similar. Hopefully once we return the playoffs we have the same kind of explosion of excitement that the Flames' fans had in 03.

I think this is a decent deal. I'm glad the team is locking up its young players. Now we just have to sign jay (or trade if he won't).

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Pukboy5kroner

A bit much for him at this point, but if you're going to sign a guy for 6 years, you're going to overpay a bit.

If he continues to have injury problems, the Panthers only have to pick up a portion of his salary before the insurance company kicks in.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Super Berg

His propensity for getting hurt concerns me greatly. For the last couple of seasons now I have been watching this guy put in a stretch of great games, only to get hurt and lose momentum and seemingly have to start again.

The big IF in this deal is that Rusty O has gotten injured every year, Is this a trend for the future?

if he can stay away from IR then it is a good deal. If not, then you are looking at the next Nikolai Antropov....all be it one that is getting paid more than the original.

Super Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:23 PM
FlaPanthers7

Injury is a concern for any player, but with his age he shouldn't be affected by these past injuries. I know a lot of people think it's a bit high and on face value it looks like a lot, but you pay him more now so you don't have to pay even more later. If Olesz reaches his top line potential, he'll easily command what Malone got or even more depending on how good he becomes.

Pay now, save later = this deal.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 07:06 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
6 more years of the Oleszexy Beast?

Ohhhhhh yeah! Good stuff.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukboy8 View Post
A bit much for him at this point...
I agree. Hopefully he starts to break out this season. Obviously, hopefully Weiss & Horton take their game to the next level as well.

I would like Rusty to be the guy that really racks up short-handed points. And also a guy that can get under the opposition's skin. We actually seen that a few times last year, although he wasn't doing it on purpose.

-ghoste

Ghoste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
I agree. Hopefully he starts to break out this season. Obviously, hopefully Weiss & Horton take their game to the next level as well.

I would like Rusty to be the guy that really racks up short-handed points. And also a guy that can get under the opposition's skin. We actually seen that a few times last year, although he wasn't doing it on purpose.

-ghoste
He can do it if he starts the season shooting instead of waiting till midseason to start shooting on goal!

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote