HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sabres re-sign Gaustad to four-year deal

Old
06-30-2008, 08:45 PM
gallagt01

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR View Post
actually, i quite like the player ... just surprised teams are giving up the $$ so easily to players based on fingers crossed results.
You need to do that in the salary cap world that is today's NHL. When the cap raises, player salaries raise, so locking up your core players at a certain rate (which isn't even an overpayment as it is) can look like an absolute bargain a year or two down the line when the cap raises, and as I said, player salaries raise.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 08:56 PM
joshjull

Quote:
actually, i quite like the player ... just surprised teams are giving up the $$ so easily to players based on fingers crossed results.
Fingers crossed in what sense? I'm not sure what part of his game your feel they are gambling on.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 08:57 PM
OlliMackBjugStud
Touch My Donskoi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looooooodman View Post
You need to do that in the salary cap world that is today's NHL. When the cap raises, player salaries raise, so locking up your core players at a certain rate (which isn't even an overpayment as it is) can look like an absolute bargain a year or two down the line when the cap raises, and as I said, player salaries raise.
i disagree ... i think in a cap league, you need to take a more "money puck" approach.

i think incrementally, a team is better off saving their resources for the top end and living with a slightly lesser version of Gaustad at 30% of his rate.

what do i know, seem the trend is contrary. lock up as many "hopefully's" as possible.

OlliMackBjugStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 09:08 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
No he couldn't have

He is a 3rd line center (his first season in that role) that improved in all categories. Led the team in hits,faceoffs and can handle himself in a fight. He will only get better next year.

He is not a bubble player he is a glue player.
Totally disagree. He should be a 4th liner. He's an energy player, and should not be a 3rd liner. I like him, but IMO he's easily the most overrated sabre. I might be one of the few, but I don't like the new contract at all.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 09:22 PM
The Real

Quote:
He is making 2.3 average. Why is that a big deal? You keep trying to be inflamatory be saying 10mil. His deal is 9.2mil over 4 yrs, 1.7 then 2.5mil the next 3 seasons. Those are UFA years the team is buying. Thats how the system works.

He is 11th on the Sabres in terms of the average of his cap hit (2.3 million). You may want to get a better understandig of the economics of the game and where salaries are. Because Gaustads his hardly out of whack.

Gaustad is 6'5" 225lbs. he plays 17+mins a night ( 5th among Sabre forwards) and gets PK and PP duty. He was 6th on the Sabres in assists, is the top faceoff guy, will defend teammates, leads the team in hits with 199 hits.

I hardly think the contract he got is out of whack with the various things he brings to the table.

Have you watched him play or are you making an assumption that he is a 4th liner playing 8-10 minutes a night.

Wow Josh, nice argument. I'm usually looking for holes but that's a pretty solid case. Well done.

The Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 09:45 PM
tiz

I love this guy, would of been happier if he had signed out west...

tiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 09:59 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

very nice deal

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:03 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Totally disagree. He should be a 4th liner. He's an energy player, and should not be a 3rd liner. I like him, but IMO he's easily the most overrated sabre. I might be one of the few, but I don't like the new contract at all.
Give me a break. You have 3 posts so far and they all same the same thing. He is a 4th liner. Make a counter arguement that backs you claim or don't bother quoting me.

If all you think he brings is energy you may want to learn more about the game.

Old
06-30-2008, 10:12 PM
joshjull

Quote:
i disagree ... i think in a cap league, you need to take a more "money puck" approach.

i think incrementally, a team is better off saving their resources for the top end and living with a slightly lesser version of Gaustad at 30% of his rate.

what do i know, seem the trend is contrary. lock up as many "hopefully's" as possible.
Again what is the hopefully part as it pertains to Gaustad?

I think your making an interesting point but with the wrong player/contract.

Last edited by joshjull: 06-30-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old
06-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Metssabres

Why does everyone freak out when Regier says they don't wanna make a July 1 splash? Why do we need to sign a 1-hit wonder like Ryan Malone to a deal like he got? Why should they overpay for UFA's when they wait it out and can go the trade route? They do need some defensive help, no question. But Goose at the price, it may seem high, is the going rate now. Nobody moaned last December when Hecht got 4/14?

I don't think people will believe what some players are going to get. Malone is the tip of the iceburg. You are seeing this with what Goose got. Definitely higher than I think most thought. Poms will get 5 mil a year as will Miller. Paille will prolly get 5 years 10 mill.

Metssabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Takeo

Quote:
can the NHL support EVERY player with this type of contract?

if i had nickle for everytime someone said the above, id be mortgage free.

i like Gaustad, but does he bring anything more than most bubble players? Could he have not been replaced at the entry level rate instead of commiting almost 10million to him?
Exactly what I was thinking. It's become the popular rationalization to justify every questionable deal. Even still, it's supposed to be applied to players with upside. While useful, Goose doesn't exactly have upside.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:51 PM
MojoJojo

I do not believe this contract is overpayment, but even if it is, Gaustad is exactly the type of player you should overpay a little bit for.

Good signing.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:55 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Decent deal. A bit high for my liking, but I can live with it. Goose just brings too much to the Sabres IMO, and if they can get Paille locked up those two will be great together.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:37 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Give me a break. You have 3 posts so far and they all same the same thing. He is a 4th liner. Make a counter arguement that backs you claim or don't bother quoting me.

If all you think he brings is energy you may want to learn more about the game.
Wow buddy, you gotta lighten up. Some people are going to have a different opinion than you, thats why we have discussion boards, so we can share our opinions. You want my argument, here it is. He's a poor skater, has no hands, isn't as tough as everyone thinks, has trouble in the corners because he isn't very strong on the puck, and has very little playmaking ability. His decision making with the puck is questionable. He is ok on faceoffs, maybe the best of all the sabres centermen, but that doesn't say much. The fact that he got as much playing time as he did last year is a testament to a bad situation at center, not because he is an outstanding player. Like I said in my three other posts, as you pointed out, he is a 4th line energy guy who is outstanding in that role. If he is bumped up to another role, such as third line center, he leaves a lot to be desired. That is my opinion of him, and I do actually know a lot about the game.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:09 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Wow buddy, you gotta lighten up. Some people are going to have a different opinion than you, thats why we have discussion boards, so we can share our opinions. You want my argument, here it is. He's a poor skater, has no hands, isn't as tough as everyone thinks, has trouble in the corners because he isn't very strong on the puck, and has very little playmaking ability. His decision making with the puck is questionable. He is ok on faceoffs, maybe the best of all the sabres centermen, but that doesn't say much. The fact that he got as much playing time as he did last year is a testament to a bad situation at center, not because he is an outstanding player. Like I said in my three other posts, as you pointed out, he is a 4th line energy guy who is outstanding in that role. If he is bumped up to another role, such as third line center, he leaves a lot to be desired. That is my opinion of him, and I do actually know a lot about the game.
He's a bad skater and he has terrible hands, I'll give you that.

-Tough as nails. How can you get off saying he's not as tough as everyone thinks? He lead our team in hits for a reason, and yeah hits are an important part of the game.

-Our best faceoff guy. 2nd best was Roy - Gaustad was 4% higher so your "that doesn't say much" arguement doesn't hold anything. He had the same FO % as Drury who is regarded as one of the best in the league on the dot.

-I don't agree with your "decision making with the puck" and "little playmaking ability" statements. Gaustad had 26 assists last year. You're not bad at those things with 26 assists.

-Gaustad got playing time because Lindy Ruff trusted him enough to give him that playing time. Not because we had a bad situation at center - if it was that bad another option would have been brought in. He gained the trust of Ruff with smart play at ES and great penalty killing. He was rewarded with some powerplay time (perhaps undeservedly so, but that's besides the point).

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote