HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Florida Panthers Summer Sizzle

Old
06-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Haj

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post

The way you properly develop Matthias is start him out on the 3rd line. There, he doesn't have the pressure to produce top 6 numbers and can make a comfortable transition to the NHL(see Kreps). Olesz's development was hurt because we rushed him to the NHL, not the other way around. Even JM admitted this last season. JM's not comparing Matthias to Toews and Mueller. He said Chicago and Phoenix had success last season with infusions of youth into their lineup, and indicated we could have similar success by bringing in Matthias and Frolik into our lineup. But I don't think in his wildest dreams he expects either of them to put up Toews or Mueller type numbers. He's just making a broad comparison. For what to expect from Matthias next season IMO, see Sergei Kostitsyn, not Jonathan Toews.
We had similar success as Phoenix and Chicago last year (not making the playoffs). Having the same level of success this year is a step backward. Matthias and Frolik would be better served by spending next year in the AHL, unless they have an amazing training camp. Suppose Frolik and Matthias don't make the team, then the lines look like:

Booth-Weiss-Horton
Olesz-Mclean-Zednik
Dvorak-Kreps-Peltonen
Belak-Campbell-????

Great. The forward core is composed of a 2nd line, two 3rd lines and a 4th line. Only two forwards that scored more than 20 goals last year.

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:55 PM
zeroG

vCash: 500
take a deep breath, people. JM and the scouting department know a lot more about this stuff than we do and they know very well where matthias, frolik and repik are. all moves over the past couple of years have been well thought out and have put in place a reasonable foundation on which to continue the build. sure, we can go back and nitpick about a few blemishes but JM has not given us any indication that he would dare (or be so incompetent as) to ice a team completely unequipped to compete as has been suggested in this thread and elsewhere.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 01:01 PM
39ontheline

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
take a deep breath, people. JM and the scouting department know a lot more about this stuff than we do and they know very well where matthias, frolik and repik are. all moves over the past couple of years have been well thought out and have put in place a reasonable foundation on which to continue the build. sure, we can go back and nitpick about a few blemishes but JM has not given us any indication that he would dare (or be so incompetent as) to ice a team completely unequipped to compete as has been suggested in this thread and elsewhere.
I shockingly disagree. I think JM has way too much faith in the rookies and sadly he will fall flat on his face this year much to the chagrin of everyone here.

39ontheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBreaker View Post
Frolik played the right half wall for the Czech Rep at the WJC last year. Voracek was the right point and QB.
Um.....that's nice, but I was talking about Rimouski in the QMJHL, where Frolik played the entire season. In the Q, they both play the right point on the PP.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post
We had similar success as Phoenix and Chicago last year (not making the playoffs). Having the same level of success this year is a step backward. Matthias and Frolik would be better served by spending next year in the AHL, unless they have an amazing training camp. Suppose Frolik and Matthias don't make the team, then the lines look like:

Booth-Weiss-Horton
Olesz-Mclean-Zednik
Dvorak-Kreps-Peltonen
Belak-Campbell-????

Great. The forward core is composed of a 2nd line, two 3rd lines and a 4th line. Only two forwards that scored more than 20 goals last year.
Again, I think JM was just pointing out that you can have success even without an "elite" forward on your team, and with an infusion of youth. Chicago missed the playoffs by like 4 points in the tougher western conference, and we have better defense and goaltending than they did. Of course he wants to make the playoffs and I don't think he is setting the bar at just missing them. It's just a broad comparison, like I said. The Canadiens had an infusion of youth at forward last season as well and wound up being the 1st seed in the East.(I know, I know, they had Kovalev, Higgins, etc. But say they didn't, they might have been the 7th or 8th seed instead.)

The organization seems very confident both Frolik and Matthias will make the team. Usually when a team indicates this, the rookies very rarely don't make the team. They have a pulse on how NHL ready these guys are, and they(hockey organizations) really don't get these things wrong.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Whale4ever

I may be seeing this through rose-colored glasses but I'm getting the impression that JM is shaping this club after Buffalo, circa 2006.

Not altogether a bad thing; indeed, the Sabres were the "class" team of the Eastern Conference. No mega-stars, just a lunchpail bunch of ham-and-eggers who were plugged into the right spots. Most of which were homegrown, if I recall. Those who weren't were well scouted, screened, and placed specifically for the job at hand.

I only fervently hope we can avoid the Briere/Drury predicament Darcy Regier found himself in, and continues to defend to this day. Based on the long-term contracts in place with the Cats, this will probably not be an issue.

It's a good model, and throwing out Buffalo's contract debacles, the Sabres may have been Cup defenders going into next year.

Anyway, I buy into JM's philosophy. It's promising, and we've seen very little from upper management in the past half-decade which has looked better. Sean Hill, anyone?

Whale4ever is offline   Reply With Quote