HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Going from Juniors to College... how does that usually work?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-26-2008, 11:26 AM
  #1
db88
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
Going from Juniors to College... how does that usually work?

Would you get drafted or are tryouts available for college teams, assuming you would also enroll in the school?

db88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 11:32 AM
  #2
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Recruits and tryouts I believe. Pretty sure they don't do a draft as far as I know anyways.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 03:45 PM
  #3
Ominous
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 198
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ominous
you have to get scouted or go to a tryout. Depending on what level you want to play it'll be more scouting or more tryout. Div. 1 will be alot of scouting where a D-3 will be all tryout. The best thing is to get in touch with the colleges. http://www.collegeboundathletes.com/ may be helpful.

Ominous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 03:47 PM
  #4
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever
 
Henrique Iglesias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ-NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,554
vCash: 500
As far as I know, colleges don't draft, only recruit and tryouts.

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 07:21 PM
  #5
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.
 
Harv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 6,343
vCash: 500
College can never draft. You can't bring some dumbass into your school just to play hockey and hope he doesn't fail out. (This isn't college football or college basketball. cough PacMan Jones cough)

D-1 is all recurit. D-3 and club is usually try-out. The big difference is that D-1, the player decides to come to the school, while the rest of the programs, the kid is always at the school enrolled, then trys out.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 07:44 AM
  #6
lemieux32*
 
lemieux32*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 1,280
vCash: 500
As a college coach I can tell you that very few NCAA Varsity programs do tryouts and when they do it is usually more for show then for actually finding student-athletes. I can also tell you that some schools bring in kids who are just like some of the football and basketball players (there to play hockey, party and not worried about school). 99% of NCAA Varsity hockey student-athletes are recruited.

lemieux32* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:41 PM
  #7
db88
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieux32 View Post
As a college coach I can tell you that very few NCAA Varsity programs do tryouts and when they do it is usually more for show then for actually finding student-athletes. I can also tell you that some schools bring in kids who are just like some of the football and basketball players (there to play hockey, party and not worried about school). 99% of NCAA Varsity hockey student-athletes are recruited.
do you know what leagues(ex nahl) are mostly scouted for d1 ncaa teams

db88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:57 PM
  #8
LilWinger11
Registered User
 
LilWinger11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 5,178
vCash: 500
I would guess there would be some scouting going on in any good Midget AAA program, as well as the high schools in Minnesota, the prep schools in New England, and anywhere I'm forgetting that turns out good, NCAA-eligible players... maybe some of the Junior B leagues?... a lot of college players play in the USHL too, but some of them only do that as a "post-grad" year between high school and college.

Also, if you might want to play college hockey, make sure you keep your GPA up and do decently on the SAT... if your grades are significantly below the normal admission standards, it won't matter how good an athlete you are.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 01:03 PM
  #9
db88
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
I would guess there would be some scouting going on in any good Midget AAA program, as well as the high schools in Minnesota, the prep schools in New England, and anywhere I'm forgetting that turns out good, NCAA-eligible players... maybe some of the Junior B leagues?... a lot of college players play in the USHL too, but some of them only do that as a "post-grad" year between high school and college.

Also, if you might want to play college hockey, make sure you keep your GPA up and do decently on the SAT... if your grades are significantly below the normal admission standards, it won't matter how good an athlete you are.
wouldnt they be looking at junior a level players for ncaa???

db88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 01:17 PM
  #10
NYR469
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,785
vCash: 500
if by 'junior' players you mean guys in the OHL, WHL and QMJHL then those players are considered professionals by ncaa standards are can't go to college to player from juniors...thats why kids planning to go to juniors will stay in the BJHL or play in the USHL instead.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 01:29 PM
  #11
db88
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
if by 'junior' players you mean guys in the OHL, WHL and QMJHL then those players are considered professionals by ncaa standards are can't go to college to player from juniors...thats why kids planning to go to juniors will stay in the BJHL or play in the USHL instead.
well with my situation, i took 2 years off after midget AA, could have moved up to midget AAA or juniors but i felt i wanted to take a break as i wasnt as serious about competitive hockey then. Right now i just turned 20 and i will only have a year left in juniors since the cutoff is 21... so thats why i was wondering if i could go to college after a year of juniors. Do colleges basically consider junior a tier 1 professional? if so would teir 2 or tier 3 be acceptable to play college after?


Last edited by db88: 06-27-2008 at 01:44 PM.
db88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 02:35 PM
  #12
shawnmullin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Swift Current
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,172
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
You can play Junior A or Junior B hockey and still qualify for college. You'll have a tough time getting on to a Junior A team as a 20 year old with no hockey over the past couple of years. Junior B maybe if you can show something at camp. Playing Junior B the most you'd likely ever get in the NCAA is some financial help at a Division 3 school. Ultimately you're not that much better off than if you'd just pay and go to school in Canada... where you can also play hockey.

shawnmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 03:51 PM
  #13
db88
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmullin View Post
You can play Junior A or Junior B hockey and still qualify for college. You'll have a tough time getting on to a Junior A team as a 20 year old with no hockey over the past couple of years. Junior B maybe if you can show something at camp. Playing Junior B the most you'd likely ever get in the NCAA is some financial help at a Division 3 school. Ultimately you're not that much better off than if you'd just pay and go to school in Canada... where you can also play hockey.
I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence??

and i have been practicing with some junior A players and talking with them and some AAA guys, from what i hear they are saying i wouldnt have much trouble making a junior A tier 3 team...

i really regret taking time off though thats for sure


Last edited by db88: 06-27-2008 at 04:03 PM.
db88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 04:26 PM
  #14
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****
 
JRZ DVLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
Country: United States
Posts: 4,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieux32 View Post
As a college coach I can tell you that very few NCAA Varsity programs do tryouts and when they do it is usually more for show then for actually finding student-athletes. I can also tell you that some schools bring in kids who are just like some of the football and basketball players (there to play hockey, party and not worried about school). 99% of NCAA Varsity hockey student-athletes are recruited.
I know when I first went to RIT, (they were DIII at the time) All the players were Recruited---at higher DIII school, he did allow like 2-3 walk-ons to try out though but you generally would not see them make it. Depends on the program mostly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by db88 View Post
do you know what leagues(ex nahl) are mostly scouted for d1 ncaa teams
I believe many come from the USHL, OPJHL, BCHL, NAHL, US NTDP, AJHL, OHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by db88 View Post
well with my situation, i took 2 years off after midget AA, could have moved up to midget AAA or juniors but i felt i wanted to take a break as i wasnt as serious about competitive hockey then. Right now i just turned 20 and i will only have a year left in juniors since the cutoff is 21... so thats why i was wondering if i could go to college after a year of juniors. Do colleges basically consider junior a tier 1 professional? if so would teir 2 or tier 3 be acceptable to play college after?
Many of the older players, Not all, in the NCAA are likely to be in lower tier DI teams or DIII.not ure 100% about if your elidgible or not, but looks like you should be.

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 08:06 PM
  #15
Headcoach
Registered User
 
Headcoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 747
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by db88 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence??

and i have been practicing with some junior A players and talking with them and some AAA guys, from what i hear they are saying i wouldnt have much trouble making a junior A tier 3 team...

i really regret taking time off though thats for sure
So, do you want to play college or Junior A Tier III?

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 09:39 PM
  #16
WithOutPaperss
Registered User
 
WithOutPaperss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,950
vCash: 500
I have a question to add. I know College's don't give the best chance to go to the NHL, but what Colleges give a better chance, Canadian or American? If the answer is American, how would a Canadian athlete get scouted by American schools?

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:02 PM
  #17
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.
 
Harv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 6,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangelo37 View Post
I have a question to add. I know College's don't give the best chance to go to the NHL, but what Colleges give a better chance, Canadian or American? If the answer is American, how would a Canadian athlete get scouted by American schools?

If you're a good enough player to even sniff at the NHL draft, they'll find you. It doesn't matter what country or college your at.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 06:51 AM
  #18
LilWinger11
Registered User
 
LilWinger11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 5,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangelo37 View Post
I have a question to add. I know College's don't give the best chance to go to the NHL, but what Colleges give a better chance, Canadian or American? If the answer is American, how would a Canadian athlete get scouted by American schools?
Same way an American would, most likely. The best Midget AAA and Junior A tournaments would have college scouts at them, because there are generally American and Canadian teams there. If you get contacted by a college team early on and tell the people who contact you that you're interested in going to college rather than playing major junior, they're not going to reject you solely for being Canadian. If you've got the grades, are interested in going the NCAA route, and can play, you'll have interest from colleges.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 05:38 PM
  #19
db88
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
So, do you want to play college or Junior A Tier III?

Head coach
I want to play at the highest level i possibly can in hopes of moving up, however with juniors id only be able to play for a year, while college age wouldnt really matter since im an 88

db88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 12:22 PM
  #20
Headcoach
Registered User
 
Headcoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 747
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangelo37 View Post
I have a question to add. I know College's don't give the best chance to go to the NHL, but what Colleges give a better chance, Canadian or American? If the answer is American, how would a Canadian athlete get scouted by American schools?
Well, the best thing to do first is to play Juniors here in the US so you can be scouted. Some Junor teams allow foreign players. In fact, the junior team that I scout for has two positions available for foreign players.

Once you play for a year or two, then you could move on to college. Plus, most kids that go to college, it's the first time that they are way from Mom and Dad and they have this "foot loose and fancy free" attitude and their grades suffer the first year of college. They flunk out and parents stop paying because they feel their kids could care less about their education that they are shelling out for.

But in fact, kids just want to have fun from the age of 18 to 22. When they are done goofing off, then they will get ready for an education.

So a junior team is a great way to start, if you have never been away with your your parents. You can get that foot loose and fancy free s**t out of the way for one or two years and when it gets time for you to get serious about college you will be ready. However, so junior teams are pretty strict on what their players can or can't do. Sooner or later, the GM will have to answer to parents.

So you see, you will always be having to keep your act together when you are away from your parents. Or, you will get cut! (kicked off)

I have a friend that coaches a NCAA Div I school and he tells me that he will not even look at a kid unless he has put time in at the Junior level.

Quote:
db88 - I want to play at the highest level i possibly can in hopes of moving up, however with juniors id only be able to play for a year, while college age wouldnt really matter since im an 88
I had a kid that I coached and played Juniors for one year who was just like you...he was about to turn 21. So he played his last year as a Junior on a Junior A tier III team that I scout for and now he's playing for a NCAA Div II school out of New England.

So, send me a PM and let see if we can place you on a junior team for your last year.

Head coach


Last edited by Headcoach: 06-29-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 01:59 PM
  #21
SeNaToR PhIL
Registered User
 
SeNaToR PhIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,850
vCash: 500
I know that some Canadian universities scout and do open-tryouts. Well, mine does; I saw the sign lol

SeNaToR PhIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:22 PM
  #22
db88
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Well, the best thing to do first is to play Juniors here in the US so you can be scouted. Some Junor teams allow foreign players. In fact, the junior team that I scout for has two positions available for foreign players.

Once you play for a year or two, then you could move on to college. Plus, most kids that go to college, it's the first time that they are way from Mom and Dad and they have this "foot loose and fancy free" attitude and their grades suffer the first year of college. They flunk out and parents stop paying because they feel their kids could care less about their education that they are shelling out for.

But in fact, kids just want to have fun from the age of 18 to 22. When they are done goofing off, then they will get ready for an education.

So a junior team is a great way to start, if you have never been away with your your parents. You can get that foot loose and fancy free s**t out of the way for one or two years and when it gets time for you to get serious about college you will be ready. However, so junior teams are pretty strict on what their players can or can't do. Sooner or later, the GM will have to answer to parents.

So you see, you will always be having to keep your act together when you are away from your parents. Or, you will get cut! (kicked off)

I have a friend that coaches a NCAA Div I school and he tells me that he will not even look at a kid unless he has put time in at the Junior level.



I had a kid that I coached and played Juniors for one year who was just like you...he was about to turn 21. So he played his last year as a Junior on a Junior A tier III team that I scout for and now he's playing for a NCAA Div II school out of New England.

So, send me a PM and let see if we can place you on a junior team for your last year.

Head coach
i sent you a pm

db88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.