HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Going from Juniors to College... how does that usually work?

Old
06-26-2008, 11:26 AM
db88

vCash: 500
Going from Juniors to College... how does that usually work?

Would you get drafted or are tryouts available for college teams, assuming you would also enroll in the school?

db88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 11:32 AM
deanosaur

Recruits and tryouts I believe. Pretty sure they don't do a draft as far as I know anyways.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Ominous

Send a message via AIM to Ominous
you have to get scouted or go to a tryout. Depending on what level you want to play it'll be more scouting or more tryout. Div. 1 will be alot of scouting where a D-3 will be all tryout. The best thing is to get in touch with the colleges. http://www.collegeboundathletes.com/ may be helpful.

Ominous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

As far as I know, colleges don't draft, only recruit and tryouts.

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

College can never draft. You can't bring some dumbass into your school just to play hockey and hope he doesn't fail out. (This isn't college football or college basketball. cough PacMan Jones cough)

D-1 is all recurit. D-3 and club is usually try-out. The big difference is that D-1, the player decides to come to the school, while the rest of the programs, the kid is always at the school enrolled, then trys out.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 07:44 AM
lemieux32*

As a college coach I can tell you that very few NCAA Varsity programs do tryouts and when they do it is usually more for show then for actually finding student-athletes. I can also tell you that some schools bring in kids who are just like some of the football and basketball players (there to play hockey, party and not worried about school). 99% of NCAA Varsity hockey student-athletes are recruited.

lemieux32* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:41 PM
db88

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieux32 View Post
As a college coach I can tell you that very few NCAA Varsity programs do tryouts and when they do it is usually more for show then for actually finding student-athletes. I can also tell you that some schools bring in kids who are just like some of the football and basketball players (there to play hockey, party and not worried about school). 99% of NCAA Varsity hockey student-athletes are recruited.
do you know what leagues(ex nahl) are mostly scouted for d1 ncaa teams

Old
06-27-2008, 12:57 PM
LilWinger11

I would guess there would be some scouting going on in any good Midget AAA program, as well as the high schools in Minnesota, the prep schools in New England, and anywhere I'm forgetting that turns out good, NCAA-eligible players... maybe some of the Junior B leagues?... a lot of college players play in the USHL too, but some of them only do that as a "post-grad" year between high school and college.

Also, if you might want to play college hockey, make sure you keep your GPA up and do decently on the SAT... if your grades are significantly below the normal admission standards, it won't matter how good an athlete you are.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 01:03 PM
db88

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
I would guess there would be some scouting going on in any good Midget AAA program, as well as the high schools in Minnesota, the prep schools in New England, and anywhere I'm forgetting that turns out good, NCAA-eligible players... maybe some of the Junior B leagues?... a lot of college players play in the USHL too, but some of them only do that as a "post-grad" year between high school and college.

Also, if you might want to play college hockey, make sure you keep your GPA up and do decently on the SAT... if your grades are significantly below the normal admission standards, it won't matter how good an athlete you are.
wouldnt they be looking at junior a level players for ncaa???

Old
06-27-2008, 01:17 PM
NYR469

if by 'junior' players you mean guys in the OHL, WHL and QMJHL then those players are considered professionals by ncaa standards are can't go to college to player from juniors...thats why kids planning to go to juniors will stay in the BJHL or play in the USHL instead.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 01:29 PM
db88

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
if by 'junior' players you mean guys in the OHL, WHL and QMJHL then those players are considered professionals by ncaa standards are can't go to college to player from juniors...thats why kids planning to go to juniors will stay in the BJHL or play in the USHL instead.
well with my situation, i took 2 years off after midget AA, could have moved up to midget AAA or juniors but i felt i wanted to take a break as i wasnt as serious about competitive hockey then. Right now i just turned 20 and i will only have a year left in juniors since the cutoff is 21... so thats why i was wondering if i could go to college after a year of juniors. Do colleges basically consider junior a tier 1 professional? if so would teir 2 or tier 3 be acceptable to play college after?

Last edited by db88: 06-27-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old
06-27-2008, 02:35 PM
shawnmullin

Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
You can play Junior A or Junior B hockey and still qualify for college. You'll have a tough time getting on to a Junior A team as a 20 year old with no hockey over the past couple of years. Junior B maybe if you can show something at camp. Playing Junior B the most you'd likely ever get in the NCAA is some financial help at a Division 3 school. Ultimately you're not that much better off than if you'd just pay and go to school in Canada... where you can also play hockey.

shawnmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 03:51 PM
db88

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmullin View Post
You can play Junior A or Junior B hockey and still qualify for college. You'll have a tough time getting on to a Junior A team as a 20 year old with no hockey over the past couple of years. Junior B maybe if you can show something at camp. Playing Junior B the most you'd likely ever get in the NCAA is some financial help at a Division 3 school. Ultimately you're not that much better off than if you'd just pay and go to school in Canada... where you can also play hockey.
I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence??

and i have been practicing with some junior A players and talking with them and some AAA guys, from what i hear they are saying i wouldnt have much trouble making a junior A tier 3 team...

i really regret taking time off though thats for sure

Last edited by db88: 06-27-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old
06-27-2008, 04:26 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieux32 View Post
I know when I first went to RIT, (they were DIII at the time) All the players were Recruited---at higher DIII school, he did allow like 2-3 walk-ons to try out though but you generally would not see them make it. Depends on the program mostly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by db88 View Post
do you know what leagues(ex nahl) are mostly scouted for d1 ncaa teams
I believe many come from the USHL, OPJHL, BCHL, NAHL, US NTDP, AJHL, OHA

Quote:
well with my situation, i took 2 years off after midget AA, could have moved up to midget AAA or juniors but i felt i wanted to take a break as i wasnt as serious about competitive hockey then. Right now i just turned 20 and i will only have a year left in juniors since the cutoff is 21... so thats why i was wondering if i could go to college after a year of juniors. Do colleges basically consider junior a tier 1 professional? if so would teir 2 or tier 3 be acceptable to play college after?
Many of the older players, Not all, in the NCAA are likely to be in lower tier DI teams or DIII.not ure 100% about if your elidgible or not, but looks like you should be.

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 08:06 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence??

and i have been practicing with some junior A players and talking with them and some AAA guys, from what i hear they are saying i wouldnt have much trouble making a junior A tier 3 team...

i really regret taking time off though thats for sure
So, do you want to play college or Junior A Tier III?

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 09:39 PM
WithOutPaperss

I have a question to add. I know College's don't give the best chance to go to the NHL, but what Colleges give a better chance, Canadian or American? If the answer is American, how would a Canadian athlete get scouted by American schools?

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangelo37 View Post
I have a question to add. I know College's don't give the best chance to go to the NHL, but what Colleges give a better chance, Canadian or American? If the answer is American, how would a Canadian athlete get scouted by American schools?

If you're a good enough player to even sniff at the NHL draft, they'll find you. It doesn't matter what country or college your at.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 06:51 AM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Same way an American would, most likely. The best Midget AAA and Junior A tournaments would have college scouts at them, because there are generally American and Canadian teams there. If you get contacted by a college team early on and tell the people who contact you that you're interested in going to college rather than playing major junior, they're not going to reject you solely for being Canadian. If you've got the grades, are interested in going the NCAA route, and can play, you'll have interest from colleges.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 05:38 PM
db88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
So, do you want to play college or Junior A Tier III?

Head coach
I want to play at the highest level i possibly can in hopes of moving up, however with juniors id only be able to play for a year, while college age wouldnt really matter since im an 88

Old
06-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Well, the best thing to do first is to play Juniors here in the US so you can be scouted. Some Junor teams allow foreign players. In fact, the junior team that I scout for has two positions available for foreign players.

Once you play for a year or two, then you could move on to college. Plus, most kids that go to college, it's the first time that they are way from Mom and Dad and they have this "foot loose and fancy free" attitude and their grades suffer the first year of college. They flunk out and parents stop paying because they feel their kids could care less about their education that they are shelling out for.

But in fact, kids just want to have fun from the age of 18 to 22. When they are done goofing off, then they will get ready for an education.

So a junior team is a great way to start, if you have never been away with your your parents. You can get that foot loose and fancy free s**t out of the way for one or two years and when it gets time for you to get serious about college you will be ready. However, so junior teams are pretty strict on what their players can or can't do. Sooner or later, the GM will have to answer to parents.

So you see, you will always be having to keep your act together when you are away from your parents. Or, you will get cut! (kicked off)

I have a friend that coaches a NCAA Div I school and he tells me that he will not even look at a kid unless he has put time in at the Junior level.

Quote:
db88 - I want to play at the highest level i possibly can in hopes of moving up, however with juniors id only be able to play for a year, while college age wouldnt really matter since im an 88
I had a kid that I coached and played Juniors for one year who was just like you...he was about to turn 21. So he played his last year as a Junior on a Junior A tier III team that I scout for and now he's playing for a NCAA Div II school out of New England.

So, send me a PM and let see if we can place you on a junior team for your last year.

Head coach

Last edited by Headcoach: 06-29-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 01:59 PM
SeNaToR PhIL

I know that some Canadian universities scout and do open-tryouts. Well, mine does; I saw the sign lol

SeNaToR PhIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:22 PM
db88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Well, the best thing to do first is to play Juniors here in the US so you can be scouted. Some Junor teams allow foreign players. In fact, the junior team that I scout for has two positions available for foreign players.

Once you play for a year or two, then you could move on to college. Plus, most kids that go to college, it's the first time that they are way from Mom and Dad and they have this "foot loose and fancy free" attitude and their grades suffer the first year of college. They flunk out and parents stop paying because they feel their kids could care less about their education that they are shelling out for.

But in fact, kids just want to have fun from the age of 18 to 22. When they are done goofing off, then they will get ready for an education.

So a junior team is a great way to start, if you have never been away with your your parents. You can get that foot loose and fancy free s**t out of the way for one or two years and when it gets time for you to get serious about college you will be ready. However, so junior teams are pretty strict on what their players can or can't do. Sooner or later, the GM will have to answer to parents.

So you see, you will always be having to keep your act together when you are away from your parents. Or, you will get cut! (kicked off)

I have a friend that coaches a NCAA Div I school and he tells me that he will not even look at a kid unless he has put time in at the Junior level.

I had a kid that I coached and played Juniors for one year who was just like you...he was about to turn 21. So he played his last year as a Junior on a Junior A tier III team that I scout for and now he's playing for a NCAA Div II school out of New England.

So, send me a PM and let see if we can place you on a junior team for your last year.

Head coach
i sent you a pm