HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

San Jose and Washington Trade Idea

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-04-2004, 11:28 AM
  #1
Jasper17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,309
vCash: 500
San Jose and Washington Trade Idea

I know I am going to get ripped for this one, but who cares. At least it will give us something to talk about for a day or so.

To San Jose

Jeff Halpern
Jakub Klepis

To Washington

Scott Thornton
Steve Bernier

My thinking here is that Ron Wilson loves Halpern. He loved him when he was coaching here in Washington and I am willing to bet had a lot to do with Halpern being selected to the USA team. Halpern would obviously be a perfect fit for the San Jose system. The Sharks were not that far off this year from being in the Cup finals and Halpern could be a great player to help them get a little farther in the playoffs next year (whenever that is). They have to give up a very good player in Bernier, but they get a good player back in Klepis.

The Caps really shouldn't be trading there only veteran forward but since they get a guy like Thornton back in the deal it would make it OK. Thornton would be the perfect guy to play on a wing with Sutherby, to me a better fit than moving Halpern to wing. Or letting Halpern play center and moving Sutherby to wing. The key to this deal though is Bernier. he is a 6'2" power forward who skates very well. He is also something the Caps need, a skilled, potentially top line right winger. He may be a guy who could be a pretty nice fit with Ovechkin down the road. They give up Klepis, but with Aulin, Sutherby, and Laich in the system as well as the 25 year old Zubrus they are ok at the Center position so at least they are dealing from a strength.

Now I know it would be really hard for either team to make this deal. San Jose would hate to give up Bernier and may even consider him untradeable, i don't know. And the Caps would find it very hard to trade the hometown hero as well as a player who George Mcphee really loves.

OK boys and girls let me have it, what does everyone think. Can't wait to here what other Caps fans think about this one

Jasper17 is offline  
Old
06-04-2004, 11:46 AM
  #2
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,846
vCash: 500
Ron Wilson may very well love Halpern, but that is immaterial since there is no reason to believe that Hanlon or McPhee have soured on him in any way. They are more likely to slap the C on his jersey than trade him, I'd suspect. Adding in the fact that McPhee is quite high on Klepis, and I really don't see him putting those two players together in a package.

Is it fair as a proposal? Perhaps, but that's not the point. Those are two players on whom the organization is pretty sold. On the other side... well, McPhee has never liked the QMJHL as a developmental league. When was the last time he spent a high pick on a player from the Q?

Drake1588 is offline  
Old
06-04-2004, 12:38 PM
  #3
corbanSOG
Registered Loser
 
corbanSOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,248
vCash: 500
value wise this trade may be alright, but i wouldn't do it. i don't really see how it helps either team. halpern is too important to washington right now, and the sharks need a prospect like bernier (the only scoring power forward in the system) more than they need a klepis.

here's how i see it:
halpern>thornton
klepis<bernier

take out the prospects and use picks to balance out a halpern-thornton trade and i'd do it in a flash, but im pretty sure the caps wouldnt.

corbanSOG is offline  
Old
06-04-2004, 12:40 PM
  #4
Jasper17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by corbanSOG
value wise this trade may be alright, but i wouldn't do it. i don't really see how it helps either team. halpern is too important to washington right now, and the sharks need a prospect like bernier (the only scoring power forward in the system) more than they need a klepis.

here's how i see it:
halpern>thornton
klepis<bernier

take out the prospects and use picks to balance out a halpern-thornton trade and i'd do it in a flash, but im pretty sure the caps wouldnt.
Nah, the only reason why the Caps would even consider this is because Bernier is such a good player. It would take a player like him to trade Halpern.

Jasper17 is offline  
Old
06-04-2004, 12:41 PM
  #5
Jasper17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
Ron Wilson may very well love Halpern, but that is immaterial since there is no reason to believe that Hanlon or McPhee have soured on him in any way. They are more likely to slap the C on his jersey than trade him, I'd suspect. Adding in the fact that McPhee is quite high on Klepis, and I really don't see him putting those two players together in a package.

Is it fair as a proposal? Perhaps, but that's not the point. Those are two players on whom the organization is pretty sold. On the other side... well, McPhee has never liked the QMJHL as a developmental league. When was the last time he spent a high pick on a player from the Q?
That is a good point about the QMJHL. I considered all the other things you mentioned but never thought of that. You are right though Mcphee does prefer players from the WHL..

Jasper17 is offline  
Old
06-04-2004, 01:36 PM
  #6
SabresRule
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,314
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
you realise theres a big chance Klepis wont play in the NHL? not due to skill, he doesnt want to come to america. the chances are, Washington gave up Grier for nothing. and to note if it does turn out that way, then it was on a par with the Gratton-Briere Rip off. Greir had a +10 and 9 points in 14 games.

Anyway, i dont know bernier, but this seems a little silly for SJ. they need a top line Scorer, not another average 2 way player.

SabresRule is offline  
Old
06-04-2004, 01:39 PM
  #7
Just a Guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
I heard a rumor that Mcphee was talking to Klepis and their close to a deal, but it was only a rumor. I know that Mcphee is very high on him.

Just a Guy is offline  
Old
06-04-2004, 01:50 PM
  #8
SabresRule
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,314
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Guy
I heard a rumor that Mcphee was talking to Klepis and their close to a deal, but it was only a rumor. I know that Mcphee is very high on him.
if that's true, then Klepis must have been misjudged, or changed his mind.

SabresRule is offline  
Old
06-04-2004, 01:55 PM
  #9
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresRule
if that's true, then Klepis must have been misjudged, or changed his mind.
It's entirely possible that money could be a factor. The Capitals can't afford, at this juncture, to let prospects acquired in trade using core players this past season to languish long enough that their rights are lost. They are really all the team has in the way of assets.

A young player who elects to play a little bit of hardball in negotiations stands a pretty good chance right now of seeing the Capitals relent somewhat. It could be that which prompted Umberger to toss the Capitals on his wish list, given team needs, direction and payroll room. If there is an NHL team likely to toss a little bit of extra money to entice a young player aboard right now, it's probably Washington.

Drake1588 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.