HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Jessiman suprise us again?

Old
06-30-2008, 09:47 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I understand where you're coming from regarding Moore - and I certainly hope he does make that next step to the NHL and becomes a productive 3rd/4th liner for us. He was one of my favorite prospects when he joined the Wolfpack from Maine and made a big splash a couple of years ago.

But to be fair to Hugh, in addition to his hot streaks Moore has also suffered some confounding slumps, and he didn't exactly set the world on fire when he did get callups to the big club. I'm looking from more from BOTH players this year.

If they do both continue to progress, I actually see more of an upside to Hugh's game. That's why I still support the big guy - he shows flashes of ability that I've never seen from Moore. For Moore, I hope that he continues to take incremental steps and bring the same style of game to the big club, whereas for Jessiman, I want to see the gaps filled in (if that makes any sense). I'm very curious to see what happens in training camp (assuming they sign Hugh as I hope that they will) with both of these guys.
Moore is not exactly small. He has an NHL body. Slumps or not he was more of an offensive force and his overall game is much better rounded. He can play in all situations. Steadier on his skates.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:36 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Problem is that it's not just the stats that make or break a player.

A few factors to keep in mind is that both Byers and Korpikoski are two years YOUNGER than Jessiman.

Byers projects as a fourth liner who aggrivates and pops in points, I'm not sure if Hugh would really fill that role the way Byers would. There's a certain mindset to that role, and I just can't see Hugh bringing that to the table.

Korpikoski has excellent hockey sense, which is not one of Hugh's strengths. He projects as a smart third line player who covers his own end and can put in around 20 goals if he progresses.

Heck for all the talk about Jessiman, why don't we mention Greg Moore in that conversation. He's a big guy who came from the college ranks and is the same age as Hugh. Moore is all of two days older and has out-performed him in two pro seasons by a pretty big margin. In fact he does one better than your fourth round comment about Hugh, he was a fifth round pick.

Yet somehow Moore has little shot at the NHL and never seems to get mentioned in these conversations. Ironic isn't it? Moore performs at a level we would gush over Hugh for and yet he's ignored.

Therein lies one of my big problems with most conversations about Hugh and why I can't help myself whenever he comes up in coversation. Stuff that would just not fly for ANY other prospect is acceptable for him.

There are just players this board can't help but that do that with and Hugh is one of them. I don't know but for the last 8 or 9 years we fall in love with a kid who really doesn't look like he's going to make it and we just latch onto them. We get into multi-page arguments over them and we insist that "they'll make it if we give them a chance."

Yet everytime a kid makes it, he shows the same thing. A higher level of performance at the AHL or the ability to bring one or two distinct abilities to the pro team. Additionally, we almost never have to make an excuse for them for very long or attempt to twist their game into something more than what they actually showed.

That's what seperates the Girardi's for the Baranka's. The Staal's for the Pocks, the Dubinsky's from the Immonen's and Lundmark's and the Dawes,Korpikoski's and others from the Jessiman's.
I think a lot of prospects that go the college route end up being underrated, especially if they stay in college for more than 2 years. By the time they get to the AHL, they are a year or two older than other rookies and they've been out of the spotlight for so long that fans have written them off. Plus, they don't play that many games in college so you won't usually see a lot of big numbers. It's hard to gauge how a player's game will translate from college to the AHL and NHL. Moore is underrated and so is Potter IMO.

On the subject of Byers, I think he can be a 3rd or 4th line guy, but I think he can also be affective on the PP. He's shown good hands in front of the net in Hartford and we could use a big body to take the hits, screen the goalie and pick up the garbage rebounds in front. Also, I'd bet good money that he's quite a bit heavier than the 195 lbs he's listed at. Probably more like 215.

I'm not sure yet about Jessiman. I like the progress he made this year, but as others have noted, he wasn't strong on his skates during the preseason. At his size, people should bounce off when they hit him. I guess we'll see this year in camp how much progress he's really made, assuming we resign him.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:41 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Surprise us AGAIN?

I dont remember the first time.

Unless being a bust was a surprise.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:41 AM
chosen

Jessiman leads the NHL in waste of bandwidth. Amazing that we are still discussing a player that by all accounts is unsteady on his skates.

I suppose that if the NHL ever goes to a gymnasium floor surface he might have a better shot of making it but until then his being mentioned as an NHL player is a bad joke.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:48 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Byers I suspect is over 200 lbs. now despite some people's insistence that he hasn't put on a pound since he's been drafted. Dane's transition to the pros from juniors was excellent considering he didn't burn up the WHL. He's had two very solid AHL seasons and there's reason to believe he would be productive NHL 4th liner with potential to 3rd line. He has size, he fights, hits, goes into the traffic areas, gets dirty goals--these are good things and looking up and down the lineup they are things we lack.

Jessiman made good progress last year and that is encouraging. Would I re-sign him?--most likely. Here's the thing though--the last time I actually saw him play was in pre-season and there were things he really needed to work on and which I'm not sure he's corrected in less than a year. In close combat along the boards and in the corners he was easily maneuvered off the puck, his balance and strength on his skates was not very good. He has a nice stride but to be an effective player for his size he will have to grind better--give hits, take hits and roll off them. He'll not be a good NHL player until he does--he looked more like Mike Rupp those games I saw him. Judging by that--continued improvement might land him a cup of coffee with our team in the coming season but I think he's still at least a season away.
im hoping for jeff toms rather than mike rupp, at least toms had some talent

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:50 AM
ogie

like he surprised last year with his "boxing lessons"?

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:17 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
like he surprised last year with his "boxing lessons"?
yea did very well vs downie despite downie being another tibbetts, id take downie on the rangers.

Old
06-30-2008, 11:20 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
yea did very well vs downie despite downie being another tibbetts, id take downie on the rangers.
Come on Jorts you'd take anyone over 6 feet, 200 lbs. with skates and an I.Q. of less than 80.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Sather can have one for $4m, hehe.

You gotta remember Hugh never fought before last summer. Downie has had a few more go-rounds.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:31 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Sather can have one for $4m, hehe.

You gotta remember Hugh never fought before last summer. Downie has had a few more go-rounds.
so why did jessiman change his game? heck daze was just as big and never fought.

Old
06-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
so why did jessiman change his game? heck daze was just as big and never fought.
because a pure skill game certainly wasn't working out for him in terms of making it to the NHL. He saw he needed to be grittier to get to the next level.

Old
06-30-2008, 11:48 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Because he wants to have a future in the NHL? He may never be the 1st line power forward we hoped for, but if he can be a 3rd or 4th line enforcer with some offensive upside, he can have a decent career.

Old
06-30-2008, 11:50 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
im hoping for jeff toms rather than mike rupp, at least toms had some talent
Come on. Mike Rupp plays in the NHL. Jeff Toms doesn't.

06-30-2008, 06:42 PM
sickboy35

i really think of huge speciman as a burtuzzi tape of player. he really sucked when he played with the icelander and look what happened after that? i want him playing 4th minutes and see what he can do from that spot. he's big strong and my only reservation is skating ability other that that he should get a shot.

sickboy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 07:35 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Surprise us AGAIN?

I dont remember the first time.

Unless being a bust was a surprise.
I meant that we expected him to be good and he surprised/disappointed us by being terrible.

But last year he made the right turn. If he can show just as much progress this year as last, he would once again become a legit NHL prospect.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy35 View Post
i really think of huge speciman as a burtuzzi tape of player. he really sucked when he played with the icelander and look what happened after that? i want him playing 4th minutes and see what he can do from that spot. he's big strong and my only reservation is skating ability other that that he should get a shot.
Problem is that Bertuzzi, while far from the star he would become with the Canucks, jumped right to the NHL at 20 and scored 18 goals. Additionally by the time he was Hugh's age now he was scoring 25 goals.

Right now Hugh's AHL progress amounts to what Betuzzi was doing at the NHL level when he was "disappointing."

Also, I think his current problems go a little beyond just skating and have been for a while. The fact of the matter is that Hugh hasn't really even stood out against kids his own age since being drafted, let alone dominated them.

Right now, if Hugh is going to do anything, it's going to have to come from playing a lot and not from playing fourth line minutes. But therin lies the catch-22 with Hugh. He needs a lot of minutes but he's continually getting beaten out by prospects in his age range for those minutes and opportunities.

Moving forward he'll have a chance for icetime with guys like Korpikoski, byers and moore challanging for spots (and Dawes not coming back to the AHL) but he'll face a new round of challangers in Dupont, Hillier and others who, while lacking Hugh's size and first rounder status, seem to have a better "feel" for the type of roles they'll play as they move forward.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 05:49 AM
free0717

I just read in Dellapinas article that Hugh has been qualified. Stupid move because he will be paid over 1 million dollars and if he does not make the team(harder to make team because of high salary) he will be waived and sent to Hartford(unless some other stupid team picks him up at that price. Hugh has not done enough to deserve a one way contract.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 07:02 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Jessiman getting a 1way contract? That's just stupid.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Blueshirt Brawler

I really wish the Rangers had just let Jessiman walk. The expectations of him to finally develop are about as pathetic as the people who think Obama or McCain are going to make any better decisions than George W. Bush has. It's all an effin joke!

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
Jessiman getting a 1way contract? That's just stupid.
It does'nt matter...........if he doesnt make the team then he goes to Hartford and makes the same money but it's not on the cap

I am fine with giving him a shot, he is still young

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
I meant that we expected him to be good and he surprised/disappointed us by being terrible.

But last year he made the right turn. If he can show just as much progress this year as last, he would once again become a legit NHL prospect.
I agree, this kid will be a call up this yr.......u watch

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I'm curious if they did give him the QO or if they made him a UFA offer that is valid today.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:58 AM
GAGLine

Hugh is going to play in 1 game this year just so people can't say he's the only player from the 2003 1st round never to play in the NHL.

Old
07-01-2008, 12:29 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Brawler View Post
I really wish the Rangers had just let Jessiman walk. The expectations of him to finally develop are about as pathetic as the people who think Obama or McCain are going to make any better decisions than George W. Bush has. It's all an effin joke!
If neither makes better decisions than W, there won't be an NHL in a few seasons, or not much of anything else either.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Brawler View Post
That depends on what people are expecting him "develop" into.