HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bonus cushion OUT, which teams effected most?

Old
06-30-2008, 06:05 PM
boredmale

vCash: 500
i will go with Boston, they are pretty tight against the cap and Kessel must have big bonuses

What if the NHLPA doesn't opt out? Looking at the deal it's worked out pretty sweet in there favor and if they opt out the fans will blame them if they go on strike again. I am guessing it will make no difference tommorow when trying to sign players and if the NHLPA decides to opt out then teams will worry about it then.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 07:03 PM
sandman08

depending on how much they spend on fa's and resigning their rfa's the habs could have problems (in theory at least) considering price, sergei kostitsyn and potentially chipchura will be in the lineup and all on their ETCs (and thats assuming no one else makes the team who is on one)

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 02:35 AM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblaze View Post
I'm wondering how that affects some young players who may end up "paying the price" and end up staying with their junior squad just because their team can't afford the cap hit. JVR has been mentionned as one and i'm sure there will be others.

If you also take into consideration that bonus clauses are pretty much an automatic in the contracts of most prospects, it's almost as if the CBA was punishing teams who had bad seasons for the last three years (or two?) and ended up with a few good draft picks.

I don't think this clause will hurt Stamkos who'll likely play either way but it might make a guy like Doughty spend an extra year in the juniors.
The Kings right now are so far under the cap they would probably enjoy having a $3 mil cap hit for Doughty or Hickey since it would help them reach the floor this year.

What would happen though if a team is using the bonuses for a player like Doughty to hit the floor, the player doesn't earn all the bonuses, and then LA ends up under the floor?

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 03:25 AM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 50
So I guess we'll see a lot less bonus' handed out. It's only really matters if the team is under an internal spending CAP.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 08:35 AM
LordHelmet

ok.. that explains alot.. This is of interest to me due to the Stars signing Brunnstrom..

I'd heard about the cushion, the 7.5 percent overage that could be deferred.. then I'd heard that bonuses counted entirely against the cap this season.. nice to know the real story..

Questions I still have..
Does the bonus money become 'available' once it's evident or impossible that a particular bonus won't be met?

Are ELC bonuses standardized or do they very from contract to contract? Take the individual A bonuses for instance.. Does Brunnstrom have the same games played, goals scored, points, etc, etc, targets as Stamkos? Are the dollar amounts for those targets standardized or do they also vary?

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Jeffro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblaze View Post
I'm wondering how that affects some young players who may end up "paying the price" and end up staying with their junior squad just because their team can't afford the cap hit. JVR has been mentionned as one and i'm sure there will be others.

If you also take into consideration that bonus clauses are pretty much an automatic in the contracts of most prospects, it's almost as if the CBA was punishing teams who had bad seasons for the last three years (or two?) and ended up with a few good draft picks.

I don't think this clause will hurt Stamkos who'll likely play either way but it might make a guy like Doughty spend an extra year in the juniors.
Given this, I expect the Blues to sign a UFA defenseman instead of Pietrangelo, unless someone, for the love of God, wants Jay McKee.

Jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote